test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Guide] Companion info and a bit of a guide

Comments

• princeofjudahprinceofjudah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guys I am sorry for reposting this for a third time. But I cannot get anyone to answer as I am unable to post my own thread. Someone please address this question.

Hi all i just installed the game. I remember many years ago how terribly unbalanced NWN 1 was. I want to know this: How stupid proof is this game? I want to know if I will be perfectly fine, able to easily compete with a character with only one class. I no longer play games that I have to configure my character 'just right'. I don't want to have to make a 'build.' Basically, I want to know if I can go all wizard, thief, fighter, cleric, etc, without any issues fighting enemies and pvping.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How stupid proof is this game? I want to know if I will be perfectly fine, able to easily compete with a character with only one class. I no longer play games that I have to configure my character 'just right'. I don't want to have to make a 'build.' Basically, I want to know if I can go all wizard, thief, fighter, cleric, etc, without any issues fighting enemies and pvping.

In 4E, multiclassing requires using 3 feats to swap powers and then going Paragon Multiclassing instead of a Paragon Path. That isn't implemented in Neverwinter, you pick a class and get a Power tree and a Feat tree. We currently don't have a choice of Paragon Paths either, so every character of the same class has the same Paragon Power and Paragon Feat trees.

You can respec your Feats at any time, using Astral Diamonds, but you can't respec your Powers without using a Respec Token ($6).

You can't respec your starting attributes by any means, but the differences are fairly minor. Unlike actual D&D, each point in an attribute above 10 gives +1% to whatever derived statistic that attribute is linked to. The maximum you can "roll" is an 18 in your primary attribute, and the minimum is a 15. That means a 3% difference in whatever that attribute does for you (such as Damage, Healing, Critical Chance, Power Recharge, etc.), and of course if you have a 15 instead of an 18 you'll have higher values in other attributes.

I recommend looking over the Power selection of the various classes, since they can affect your effectiveness. You should have plenty of power points to spend, so you'll probably have a number of extra Rank 3 powers, but it's good to at least know what's ahead, what's effective, and what's bugged.
  • flatgonzoflatgonzo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Awesome guide. MY problem with my cleric companion is that she tries very hard dto be at the center of all damage and dies very fast. Is there any good way to make her stronger other than buying equipment that has defense or +hp?
    Server: Mindflayer
    Vicorin, Half-Orc Great Weapon Fighter
    Raan Ilmatar, Wood Elf Control Wizard

• jay1534jay1534 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can't find the answer anywhere, but maybe you guys will know. If you buy a companion on the Zen Market, is it available for any character you create? Or only the character you initially bought it on?
  • brantsonbrantson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jay1534 wrote: »
    Can't find the answer anywhere, but maybe you guys will know. If you buy a companion on the Zen Market, is it available for any character you create? Or only the character you initially bought it on?

It's available to all and can be traded like items and even auctioned for Astral Diamonds until it is "binded" or equipped. The unbind for a fee has not been implemented yet so be careful when binding it.
  • midnightmaladymidnightmalady Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    brantson wrote: »
    It's available to all and can be traded like items and even auctioned for Astral Diamonds until it is "binded" or equipped. The unbind for a fee has not been implemented yet so be careful when binding it.

Actually it would only be available to the character you initially bought it with.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    flatgonzo wrote: »
    Awesome guide. MY problem with my cleric companion is that she tries very hard dto be at the center of all damage and dies very fast. Is there any good way to make her stronger other than buying equipment that has defense or +hp?

She heals for a % and I haven't noticed any affect from Power or Recovery, so there's nothing else to stick on her anyway.
    Actually it would only be available to the character you initially bought it with.

Well, to be more precise what you actually buy is a boxed up companion, which you can then send and claim on whoever you like. You can even sell the box on the AH.
  • herakleiaherakleia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    So here I am at level 48, still using the level 16 cleric companion. I will say that using this companion for so long has taught me a bit about how to play GWF semi-effectively; I have little choice but to try to hold aggro, and DPS like mad when I usually fail, but if the cleric is alive she is still useful because her heal is a percentage. But she's pretty useless on boss mobs, with the monotonous mechanic of elite adds spawning in all corners. I've taken to doing what I can in open world quests, but sooner or later they send you to a dungeon. I want to get at least three levels on a dungeon before playing it.

The guide recommends against the blue quality Acolyte. Is she really that bad of a deal at level 48+? I bought some zen in anticipation of the green cleric companion, but it apparently turns out that if you buy that pack you are buying a pig in a poke, and I don't gamble with real money. The companion upgrade books are mysteriously still unavailable, unless the patch is fixing that. I would happily pay a reasonable sum in real money to upgrade my level 16 cleric or replace her with another effective healer.

Will the Acolyte at least save some game gold on potions? Or should I just put levelling the GWF on hold and level my own cleric?
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wish you could have more than one companion travel with you at a time, it would be great for solo players or those who have yet to gain any friends.
  • vincenzoiivincenzoii Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One thing to add which would be useful is:
    --How to share your companion between multiple characters?

I have read that this can be done...but, it doesn't work. I'm hoping when I hit level 16 I can obtain my companions from my other character.
  • elilusoeliluso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    herakleia wrote: »
    So here I am at level 48, still using the level 16 cleric companion. I will say that using this companion for so long has taught me a bit about how to play GWF semi-effectively; I have little choice but to try to hold aggro, and DPS like mad when I usually fail, but if the cleric is alive she is still useful because her heal is a percentage. But she's pretty useless on boss mobs, with the monotonous mechanic of elite adds spawning in all corners. I've taken to doing what I can in open world quests, but sooner or later they send you to a dungeon. I want to get at least three levels on a dungeon before playing it.

The guide recommends against the blue quality Acolyte. Is she really that bad of a deal at level 48+? I bought some zen in anticipation of the green cleric companion, but it apparently turns out that if you buy that pack you are buying a pig in a poke, and I don't gamble with real money. The companion upgrade books are mysteriously still unavailable, unless the patch is fixing that. I would happily pay a reasonable sum in real money to upgrade my level 16 cleric or replace her with another effective healer.

Will the Acolyte at least save some game gold on potions? Or should I just put levelling the GWF on hold and level my own cleric?

60 GF with Level 25 Acolyte.

She is unless with an GF. Tooltip says she heals you % of Life tap she have and nothing about the dmg that you
    have to make to get good heal!? I always run on low heal an need to use pots all the time.
    With the Level 15 Cleric i am always full of heal, ok she died often but i do not need to use pots.

I don not know how the green Level 20 Cleric heals or stay alive more.

I hope they fix the unbind asap so i can try it on my GWF, but i do not buy one again.

Edit says:
    And i dont feel the 10% dmg reduction.
  • elilusoeliluso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So i come along with a question too.

Can someone tell me about the different between the Neverember Guard and the Golem
    against Groups?
    Who taunts better, or can handle a group better?

I search for an option for my Cleric and Control wiz for solo runs/Foundry.

Thank and also for that guide here.

El
  • herakleiaherakleia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    eliluso wrote: »
    60 GF with Level 25 Acolyte.

She is unless with an GF. Tooltip says she heals you % of Life tap she have and nothing about the dmg that you
    have to make to get good heal!? I always run on low heal an need to use pots all the time.
    With the Level 15 Cleric i am always full of heal, ok she died often but i do not need to use pots.

I don not know how the green Level 20 Cleric heals or stay alive more.

I hope they fix the unbind asap so i can try it on my GWF, but i do not buy one again.

Edit says:
    And i dont feel the 10% dmg reduction.

I bought her too. She definitely needs a buff to be worth $20; one would reasonably expect that she'd be more useful than the free one and she is not. Just started levelling her, but her basic abilities are in place.

She also isn't even voice acted, like the free one is. The Cleric has sayings that she says when she is summoned. The Acolyte does not.

I am happy to be buying underpowered things and playing underpowered characters at the launch of the game. Things can only improve.
  • jonkie76jonkie76 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Has anyone out there not given his companion when reaching level 16?
    I received level 16, went to this guy to receive my free companion and choose the cleric.
    However the companion did not appear in my Inventory, and so I am not able to do the next assignment in my journal, where I have to summon my companion... ;-(

greets,

Trinity

edit: problem solved! It was in the standard inventory, I was looking in the 'idle companions' inventory.
  • jayws84jayws84 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    What stats are actually good for the cleric disciple? Power doesn't seem to change her heals, and can they even crit? Is all defense the way to go? Weak as she is, won't she die as much anyway?
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Would love to see the first post updated. I know that the dancing blade and the jagged dancing blade are majorly bugged.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited June 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    Would love to see the first post updated. I know that the dancing blade and the jagged dancing blade are majorly bugged.

Your wish is my command! I'll work on getting some of the new pets and info on the current ones put in the main post tonight.
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
    edited June 2013
    There is apparently no level limit to what you can put into a companion's slot. Now both of my clerics - Hypatia the Acolyte, now level 17, and Diotima the Cleric, level 16, now share a level 60 blue icon that adds hit points. This was not cheap but affordable on the AH. It improves both of their performance immensely; especially the Acolyte, who starts with more HP to begin with and does not draw half the aggro. Her buffs are not as obviously useful as the cleric's but are not negligible, either. She is much more usefiul in team combat, especially. They also get my hand me down rings and necklaces.

Also bought myself a fugly blue sword. Want to find an axe.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Has anyone tested in-game how the recovery stat affect Companion's ability cooldowns? Should recovery be avoided when gearing Companions?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • getjammingetjammin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Looks Good
  • kromeboykromeboy Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So what are folks recommending for solo Wizards? A Man-At-Arms, a dog or a Cleric?
  • norcaltmannorcaltman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Great review. It was helpful.
    One thing that I would like to see commented, is what stat items would most benefit the companions. Like, I got a sellsword, which item stats should I focus on when I buy the belt, neck, and knot for it?
  • fruitbrutefruitbrute Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Question: How am i supposed to level my companion after i reach level 60? Im 59 currently, my pheora is 18 and it seems the only progress with its exp bar is after i gain exp rewards for quests and stuff like that. Can i still gain exp on my companion for yet not completed quests when im 60? Whats the best way to level him after that?
  • varkhus2013varkhus2013 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    fruitbrute wrote: »
    Question: How am i supposed to level my companion after i reach level 60? Im 59 currently, my pheora is 18 and it seems the only progress with its exp bar is after i gain exp rewards for quests and stuff like that. Can i still gain exp on my companion for yet not completed quests when im 60? Whats the best way to level him after that?

Yes, anything that gives XP will still help level your companion at 60. I've been leveling mine by finishing quests I still have in the later zones, as well as from my Leadership tasks. Also your daily Invocation. Just have the companion out whenever you turn in quests, or invoke. They actually level fairly quickly since level 60 quests give a lot of XP.
  • civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited June 2013
    At 60 I leveled my Ioun stone by doing foundry's. They are the big reason I got into this game to begin with and are great for companion xp!
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • dymek5551dymek5551 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Which companions are better for GWF ? Ioun stone of allure or Cat ? What are the Advantage/disadvantage these companions ?.Which companion give me more power/recovery/armor pen ?
  • tuagituagi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kromeboy wrote: »
    So what are folks recommending for solo Wizards? A Man-At-Arms, a dog or a Cleric?

I like the Dog myself for Casters as that knock-down thing it does breaks attacks on even the bosses...works a treat.
  • arashiwatanabearashiwatanabe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    Is the post outdated?
    The cleric companion has a max level of 15, meaning there's no tier 2 or tier 3 to her.
    This is the one you can get at level 16 that is.

And some extra information that I've theorycrafted around myself.
    A companion can wear any level gear and or rarity.
    My Rank 15 companion is using 2 Purple level 60items, with rank 5 enchantments, and she get's the stats from them.
    Even if she is not rank 30, or me being rank 60.
    Having this in mind, I know for a fact that with my third character I will be getting an augment pet.
    Imagine being level 12-15, and then putting level 60purples on your companion and gaining 100% of those stats?
    Rather Overpowered but still quite neat.

Regarding abilities.
    Some pets, naming those who can go past rank 25, can learn new abilities.
    These can be seen if you hit the statistics tab on the companion sheet.

@Op
    You mispelled Galeb Dhur.
    And you should update the post, specially the thing regarding Clerics.
    From what I can tell, those can't go past rank 15, unless you have a green/blue or purple version of it.
    Then you can get it to 25/30.
    Tier 1: Companions that go to Rank 15max(white, green?)
    Tier 2: Companions that go to Rank 20(25)max(blue)
    Tier 3: Companions that go to Rank 30max(purple)

Unless my information is way off.
  • arashiwatanabearashiwatanabe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    Stone of Allure and Cat doesn't give armor penetration.
    They give Power, critt and recovery, the cat only giving Critt and recovery.
  • zjesminzzjesminz Member Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Why don't they write it clearly in the description so that we don't need to analyze about this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]