test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry

macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Part1 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_7WgszhNN4

Part2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzSBodMnPtU

finally some foundry videos, too bad the sound is not that great.
Post edited by macabrivs on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.

*grabs some popcorn and watches intently*

After watching the videos I'm really happy with what I saw. It seems like there's more customization options than even NWN. I'd love to see more on how mapping and layouts are done in a closer view than they gave but it seems like there could be textbooks written about all the features. That was really impressive and worth the months of waiting to see some Foundry information.

Also as a side note that screen is huge and yet the picture quality seems hardly tarnished. The close up view of the orc was truly impressive. I'm not huge into graphics and aesthetics but if a game looks good on a screen that size it needs a round of applause.
  • kyllroy2kyllroy2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 309 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Looks like a lot of fun. I never got into the NWN toolset cause it seemed too complex for me at the time, but I did kill quite the number of hours making custom maps to play with friends for Disciples II back in the day. I hope there's a reasonable amount of automation/streamlining in the creation process so that it's available to those who'd like to dabble, not just seasoned modders.

Also, hopefully we can make adventures in outdoor areas, too. I'd love to attempt making/see someone make an adventure loosely based on this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmNkvE050I Would be absolutely epic.

I'll comment more once I actually have the opportunity to watch both videos completely. I am already drooling, though. Can I haz beta key, now plz? b:dirty
  • henzaihenzai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 154
    edited August 2012
    This looks awesome, i will most certainly spend hours doing nothing in particular there (the same goes for character creation). I really have my hopes up for this game and the foundry. My biggest hope is that we'll be able to make guildhalls, player housings and the like, so we can invite all our friends to the map, not just a 5 member group.

If we will be able to make gathering spots like that i'd try to make a house and upgrade it as my characters story allows him to afford a more expensive house. This can really turn out to be one of the best gaming experiences i've had since Suikoden
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Nice Job, Maca, it looks awesomely good.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Very impressed Great job linking this Macabriva.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Thx guys, i will keep search deep to bring u all more videos as soon they start to be released from gamescom visitors
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »

b:thanks
    Awesome and finally!
  • nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Wow that is awesome. It didn't think I would really be up to creating adventures with the foundry, but I'm going to have to give it a shot.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Looks like I'll be spending a great deal of time in the Foundry!

"What about Dragons?"
    "Dragons? Yes, we have dragons in our game."
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Gamescom-2012-Neverwinter-and-a-Bounty-of-User-Generated-Content-286682.shtml

just a link to what being discussed in macca's youtube trailers, but was hard to hear, mentions jobboard ect, i am not familair with STO foundry so sorry in advance if this, is meaningless post.
  • darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »

I wanna be fast-food, ball-pit deep in that Foundry demo.

The map looks outstanding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    That IS frustrating that the audio is so poor. Let me see if I can give you guys a quick overview of what is being shown in that demo. I'll try to list them in the order they're shown in the video.

Project Manager
    This is where you set the name and description of your quest, as well as its physical location on the overworld map.

Story Editor
    Here is where you create the structure of your quest and lay down objectives, map transitions and contacts in an interactive flow chart. Each item in the chart can be edited in detail to fit you specifications. Multiple objectives can also be grouped into larger overall objectives (i.e. Kill 10 Orcs AND take their stuff).

New Map Dialog
    Here you can select from a number of exterior maps, interior maps, or create a custom interior map.

Interior Map Editor
    As seen in the video, you start with a blank grid that you can drag room tiles onto from a large library in the right hand pane. You can view these rooms as a list or as thumbnails, and you can view a 3D preview of the room right in the properties pane.

These room tiles can be manipulated, rotated, and connected to other rooms very easily. Connecting two rooms is as simple as placing two room tiles against each other. The editor will automagically add a doorway between them which you can slide up and down the wall or remove all together. You also have the option of using a teleporter door to add holes and ladders and hatches that warp you to new locations in the same map.

Additonally, each room has a set of objects that you can auto-populate it with, giving you a quick way to get a fully detailed room. You can then move, rotate, or delete those objects to your heart's content, or just clear the room and build something cool from scratch.

There are numerous themes to choose from when using room tiles, and you can effortlessly connect completely different environments (such as caves and sewers) the same way by just clicking the rooms together... It just works.

Dialog Editor
    Here is where you flesh out the story of your quest in complete detail. The dialog editor uses the same flowchart style method for stringing branching dialog trees together. You can set animations for acting and use text formatting to highlight mission objectives, speak to the player by name, etc. You can test out individual dialog trees with a click of the Play button, which transports you to a tavern with your contact at the bar, ready to talk.

Costume Editor
    The costume editor for the Foundry is quite powerful. You start by selecting a pre-made costume from a vast library. Once selected, you have a set of gear slots you can add weapons, armor, and attire to. You can also change some other basic features like hair color.
    If you can't make the character you want in that simple mode, you can switch to advanced mode, where every single costume slot is available to you, allowing you to make an entirely unique character. This is essentially just as powerful as our internal costume editor we use for development, so it's well beyond the costume editor you will see when you start your own toon.

That's it for the editors shown in the videos. Let's get to the rest of it.

Job Boards
    These are bulletin boards posted in every zone in the game, allowing easy and direct access to Foundry content, including top rated, Cryptic featured, and subscribed quests and campaigns.

Bar Maids
    Every tavern has a bar maid who knows a lot of rumors, or in this case, Foundry content that is local to that zone. It's a quick way to find Foundry quests that are close to your location.

Author Pages
    One of the ways we help authors promote their work and keep in touch with their fans is through Author pages. Here an author can display all of their published content and reviews of their work, as well as their own personal blog where they can directly communicate with fans. Players can subscribe to an author and receive notifications of new quests and blog posts. You can also choose to donate in-game currency to an author that they can use to purchase things in Neverwinter, including more project slots to keep making awesome content.

There, hope that helps clear up what's going on in those videos. It's great to be able to finally start talking about the Foundry!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks a lot for this post. Just saw that video.

Foundry looks robust and integrated with game. Hope it is as customisable as it is awesome :p

Hope more videos on foundry with better quality come out too
    :-)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
  • deadarmoured87deadarmoured87 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2012
    Awesome! b:cool

I have a question I just thought about...

It is possible to link quests, right?
    So if I do one quest I go onto the next in the quest chain.

Is it possible to link multiple quests to one quest, depending on the outcome?

For example:
    In quest 1 you either kill 10 orcs OR find a magic item.

The outcome to killing the orcs would lead to quest 2A, finding the item would lead to 2B

In that way you could create a "create your own adventure" type of questline, potentially with a lot of variation. It could even be a community type thing, where people added their own quest depending upon the choice they made.
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    It is possible to link quests, right?
    So if I do one quest I go onto the next in the quest chain.

Yes, you can link multiple quests in a campaign, which can then be rated separately by players.

Is it possible to link multiple quests to one quest, depending on the outcome?
    You can have branching dialogs, but no branching questlines. The outcome of your quest will always be the same.
  • deadarmoured87deadarmoured87 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2012
    Yes, you can link multiple quests in a campaign, which can then be rated separately by players.

You can have branching dialogs, but no branching questlines. The outcome of your quest will always be the same.

Thanks for the info b:pleased

After consideration, it might get a little convoluted to have multiple branches, and the player would miss out on content/specific loot if they weren't repeatable.

I'll definately be trying my hand at making some epic questlines to share with my buddies.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Aha! Very nice, thank you.

P.S. For the love of Ao, please fix texture clipping (sword clipping through shield, cloak clipping through shield). I know it's a minor thing, but it's very noticeable, and leaves a bad impression.
    edited August 2012

This is simply brilliant...it is way more than I expected for my campaign; I do however think that the Barmaid landing page and job board is a bit redundant....they all seem to do the same thing though.

I love the concept of the barmaid/Tavern keeper to get quest and would like to see that expanded, but I can see where folks would like to access the landing page from wherever, I guess I will have to see it played out before I reach a final decision.
    edited August 2012
    This is simply brilliant...it is way more than I expected for my campaign; I do however think that the Barmaid landing page and job board is a bit redundant....they all seem to do the same thing though.

I love the concept of the barmaid/Tavern keeper to get quest and would like to see that expanded, but I can see where folks would like to access the landing page from wherever, I guess I will have to see it played out before I reach a final decision.

Honestly the job board is simply an interactable object that brings up the Foundry catalog, which you can access through the UI at any point. It's not necessary, but it does increase exposure for foundry content regardless.

The bar maid is different... she actually lists foundry quests that start in that particular zone. It can be a pain to start a quest that's all the way in Vellosk when you're on the coast near Blackdagger Ruins.
  • darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Honestly the job board is simply an interactable object that brings up the Foundry catalog, which you can access through the UI at any point. It's not necessary, but it does increase exposure for foundry content regardless.

The bar maid is different... she actually lists foundry quests that start in that particular zone. It can be a pain to start a quest that's all the way in Vellosk when you're on the coast near Blackdagger Ruins.

Sweet mother of Tyr, I want that feature in every Cryptic game.

Mapolis, you're my dev hero once again. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012

That is bloody amazing b:pleased

Thanks for clearing it up.
  • nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    The more I see the foundry the more I want to get involved with it. I can't wait for this game.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Honestly the job board is... ...coast near Blackdagger Ruins.

Very nice to hear. Those two relatively short videos and that couple of line post has really gotten me pumped to get my hands on The Foundry. The minor details such as the board and barmaids sound like great ideas to get people informed about foundry content.

Sadly the commentator in the video was a bit hard to hear at certain parts though so I do have one question. What was that she mentioned about costing levels to develop Foundry content?

Honestly what I heard has me a bit frightened. If she meant that there were DM Level requirements to access some features that would be fine by me. However if she truly meant you lose levels (either in game or DM levels) when creating/purchasing foundry content I can't imagine a good outcome from that...inspiring...form of payment.

I'd really appreciate it if that could be clarified ^-^

EDIT - (to the following post) Also a good question Andre. I questioned that initially but when I watched that segment again I concluded that "In-Game Currency" meant gold pieces rather than "Game Currency." I figured if they meant more than that I'd be happily surprised when they announced it or somebody else asked :-D
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My question revolves around donate feature. The term used was "game money." I suppose this means you can pay someone in "zen." Can you donate real money as well using a credit card?

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited August 2012
    Sadly the commentator in the video was a bit hard to hear at certain parts though so I do have one question. What was that she mentioned about costing levels to develop Foundry content?

AFAIK there is nothing in the Foundry or Neverwinter that causes you to lose levels or XP, nor would I ever expect there to be. She was probably talking about leveling up your Dungeon Master, which is a system of DM achievements we will be adding as an extra perk for Foundry authors. That system is only in the preliminary discussion stage though so we don't have a final design I can discuss.
    My question revolves around donate feature. The term used was "game money." I suppose this means you can pay someone in "zen." Can you donate real money as well using a credit card?

You can donate using in-game currency, specifically the time based currency that can be converted to Zen through an exchange (like Dilithium in Star Trek Online). No real cash though.
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    First off, that's kick@ss! I'm loving it.

BRAVO CRYPTIC

I have two off beat questions watching those vids though.
    1. Can we interact with the environment items, such as chairs... sitting to lift a drink to fallen friends!
    2. Transitioning from one area to another (not UGC), such as one district of Neverwinter to another. Will there be a loading screen or will it feel seamless as you travel through a gate the area ahead of you is already loading?
    Sorry for the sidetrack, but those videos are SO amazing looking. I got the feeling I was actually walking on a real life street with people milling about, the narrowness of the streets and how NPCs seem to move about naturally. How fantastic!

Bravo Cryptic!
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for that prompt reply!

That's good to hear. I figured it would have to do with the DM Level System and that it would unlock additional features.
    The level system itself sounds like a very interesting concept and I can't wait to hear more on it when the time comes. Frankly I don't think we would understand any information on it at this point anyway until we at least got the foundry to play test first. It's all definitely going to be a hands on learning experience from what I saw.

But hey, at least it looks possible to be hands on while the Aurora Toolset was a heck of a lot of research and reading to understand the tools.