test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Come on, help me fail law school and tell me how I can play right now during Family Law class!
    edited September 2009
    "trying to update the launcher please be patient" is as far as ive been getting,:(... ive tried re-installing it about half a dozen times , called technical help, disabled fire walls, submited tickets and done system checks, one wich showed me that i was consistantly timeing out, can any body help? ,ive got a Vista system
    edited September 2009
    Im pretty disappointed myself....same for me, i installed it THREE days ago...have tried so many things i am pulling my hair out

Please if there is anyone that has figured out a way to kick this into gear please enlighten the rest of us
    edited September 2009
    My problem finally resolved itself. I'm not sure if it was the multiple restorings, reformattings, or redownloadings that did it, all I know is that I'm up and running again. I feel like these steps were entirely unnecessary and I certainly hope these issues will become less prevalent in the coming weeks...
    edited September 2009
    I got this problem

I was waiting for something to happen and I was literally about to give up and press Ctrl-Alt-Del - but then it worked - so I guess it actually was updating the launcher (?!)

So I would say just wait for 5 or 10 minutes before you give up.
    edited September 2009
    Same problem tells me trying to update the launcher then goes idle. What's going on?
    edited September 2009
    ok following seem to work for me

-uninstall the complete game. Delete after that all folder from this game when are anyone left.
    -let a regcleaner run on the system
    -reboot the system-
    -then install the game again

and the patcher works and i am in the game again but it is realy strange.
    edited September 2009
    ok following seem to work for me

-uninstall the complete game. Delete after that all folder from this game when are anyone left.
    -let a regcleaner run on the system
    -reboot the system-
    -then install the game again

and the patcher works and i am in the game again but it is realy strange.

Just tried that, didn't work for me.
    edited September 2009
    'obtain' Windows Xp and dual boot. That's the only solution that worked for me.
    edited September 2009
    Same here unable to play for 4 days now
    edited September 2009
    /sign, no success here either
    edited September 2009
    Going on day 7 here without the ability to play.

I've tried all the fixes and none work me.

I'm using windows xp, so I know its not just a vista or windows 7 problem.
    edited September 2009
    hurrakan wrote:
    I got this problem

I was waiting for something to happen and I was literally about to give up and press Ctrl-Alt-Del - but then it worked - so I guess it actually was updating the launcher (?!)

So I would say just wait for 5 or 10 minutes before you give up.

If you read through the thread you would see that it is not people giving up, but after 5 or 10 minutes the launcher gets an error saying "The connection was idle for too long." and you have to close it down.
    edited September 2009
    I've just got my copy of CO today, and I've tried like 20 times now but I keep getting stuck on 'Trying to update' then getting the time-out error :(
    edited September 2009
    I get past the launcher but the sodding game says the server's down. It isn't because my friend is online right now.
    edited September 2009
    fifth day now :(

reinstalled the game
    rebooted
    updated my drivers
    stopped my firewall

and still nothing
    edited September 2009
    Yep... gettin' this too. Haven't been able to get in all day.
    edited September 2009
    Azure5 wrote:
    Didnt work for me . I have Norton 360 , turned off the firewall and nothing changed - same problem :mad:

Oh and the lack of lag that your experiencing is probably becouse no other user can get on line - just u :D

haha lol ur most probs right, im havin the same problem this sucks big time i just hoqe i can get my 6 month sub bk
    edited September 2009
    I was unable to play the game, I would time out trying to log in to the authetication server or whatever. So I watched the pretty smoke for a few minutes before being told I couldn't play the game.

Sooo... I uninstalled and re-installed the game thinking that may fix it, but now I'm getting "The connection was idle for too long" Patcher Error.

I love this game, but damn, man. I can't PLAY IT.
    edited September 2009
    I played OB with no problems whatsoever, got the game 3 days ago and haven't been able to get past "Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient" sometimes it gets to "The connection was idle for to long". I have been trying non stop for about 3 days now and nothing. I have tried reinstalling and no dice.
    edited September 2009
    Still a problem... and it ain't gonna fix itself. Can we get something here? Some acknowledgement? Some half-second look in our direction? I'm starting to think the people supposed to deal with this sorta thing are sitting in a corner with fingers in their ears going 'La la la! I can't hear you!' or something equally silly.
    edited September 2009
    You know usually I'm one of the people telling people to keep some modicum of faith in cryptic, telling them to be patient, that things will work out... You're making it really hard to keep doing that with this pathetic, blatant lack of concern in regards to this widespread issue. Do you just not care? Come on!
    edited September 2009
    Arrathon wrote:
    I have not even been able to see the game yet. I just finally got to the patch download (No i am not Beta) that all patched fine and dandy and then click play and nothing..click again..nothing.. Click a hundred times..nothing.. shut it down to restart. and back to being stuck on Updater loading I think it is so backwards haveing to go through this thing over and over to get into the game. So far.. very upset i wasted 50$

do you have enough space on your drives so the patch can complete?

i havent been able to play since the headstart finished as i cant pay for a sub .. and am currently waiting for a credit card to be approved to i can pay ... but to be honest im happy i cant play at the moment if all these issues are true for EU players ..

and if it continues when my card arrive i probably wont buy a subscription unill i know and am certain that its working as it should and that i wont be wasting money because of a problem with the patcher or ruberband lag or server not responding disconnection every 5 mins.
    edited September 2009
    Opened 200+ instances of the thing but not one connected. Worse than yesterday where about 6 of them worked but, despite that, each one timed out at connected. I recall CoH had a patcher that, unless your connection was near-perfect, you couldn't connect half the time or worse. This one's infinitely worse. Can you do -something- to make it more forgiving to people? Really... I want to recommend this game but all I'm able to do at this moment, at best, is say 'Stay away until they can make it worth playing'. A far cry from the optimism I showed for this game before. But what do you care?! You're not even reading this. Almost 900 posts and all we've gotten thrown our way is an insult to our intelligence.
    edited September 2009
    "Maybe if we ignore it... it will go away." Not how it works, Cryptic... what's the situation with this?
    edited September 2009
    Support just says it's a firewall issue when I got a response to my ticket.
    edited September 2009
    Somehow a "response" like that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Really uncool of them to ignore this.
    edited September 2009
    Is there subscribers to the ISP Radiant Communications?
    They cover Montreal ,Toronto ,Ottawa ,Vancouver ,Calgary ,Edmontonn ...
    edited September 2009
    I've had this problem for 2 days now. This sucks, I haven't even tried the game yet....
    edited September 2009
    And now, after days of being able to play without any hitch, I am also suffering the same predicament as you folks - stuck at "trying to update" prompt... Yaaaargh!
    edited September 2009
    got this issue too ...
    edited September 2009
    I have the problem now, trying to update launcher! ARGH it's ****ing me off!
    edited September 2009
    Hi everyopne, I think I may have found a potential solution.

I was having the same problem as everyone is having in this thread and I found that restarting my router solved the problem.

Hope this works for you guys also.
    edited September 2009
    Alright, this is my third day in a row with this problem. I guess it isn't gonna fix itself.
    edited September 2009
    I to also have this problem and I can do nothing else sence I just got this game today (9/13):(

Update: Soon after posting here, I finaly got a patch, but I have no idea at this point if its going to last or not. It took me like 10 tries, then I posted here, its eather just luck, or BROVO, you guys work fast :)
    edited September 2009
    OOOOOOOO LAWDY!!!! I did it!!! After 9 days I'm finally able to try the game...... Now I just hope I'm not one of the unlucky ones who get severe lag.
    edited September 2009
    yankeejim wrote:
    I have the same problem also....feels like a port is being blocked.

This, I went into my firewall and gave CO absolute access and it's still not going past the server loading screen. What's worse is that I can't Alt/tab between programs while the server is connecting so I can start to diagnose what the problem is.
    edited September 2009
    I usually have to restart the launcher (from steam if that matters) a couple of times before it works.
    edited September 2009
    Yesterday I had this problem but at like 7:30 P.M. central it was working. It was also working just fine this morning, but now I can't get past teh cryptic launcher updates again...:(

Edit: Ok, good news and bad news, the good news is that I got past the cryptic launcher update, the bad news is, I can't get pass the champoins online update because I'm stuck once I hit submit. It keeps saying "Atempting to connect to controler tracker" and dosn't do anything else.
    edited September 2009
    First install of the game. Have been having this problem, and the autoupdater crashing for the past 3-4 hours since I installed.

This is not a good first impression.:mad:
    edited September 2009
    Day 10...Still the SAME error. I've tried everything...come on Cryptic, please fix this, or give us a work around till it is fixed.

I played on launch day and all the way to friday before the 3day weekend..since then been getting the "Connection was idle for too long" error with the auto-updater.

Please please help.
    edited September 2009
    I am unsure if there is where I need to post this....but here goes. I installed the game 3 days ago. Everything seemed to be moving along nicely until I attempted to log on. I get the login screen, I enter my username and password, then I get "Connecting to account server".....after a couple minutes I get "Connection to Account Server timed out". 3 days...no connection. I have disabled my firewall and spyware software and attepted to log in, no go. Is there something I am missing, or just a bug they haven't fixed. I know I have only been at this 3 days, but it stil lgets frustrating.
    edited September 2009
    I purchased the game a week ago, and had no problems playing it at all, until the Sept. 14th patch. Since then, I keep receiving the "Trying to update the launcher" window, which just hangs until it closes due to idle. I've tried the normal "fixes", including rebooting, restarting the router, shutting off firewalls and anti-virus programs, and uninstalling and reinstalling Champions itself two time. Since I didn't have a problem before this patch, I'm guessing the problem isn't on my end. I sent in a dev ticket... we'll see what comes of it.
    edited September 2009
    Still won't work on Vista for me. 14 days and counting.
    edited September 2009
    Seems we are npt alone - I am stuck in game active no play hell as well:mad:
    edited September 2009
    Srange, I can play at night and in the morning, but around the 3 alock hour, I can't get in, it lasts for several hours before I can get passed this again. I wonder if that helps any of the dervs.
    edited September 2009
    I get this problem every once in a while on my laptop, but i just got my computer back from the shop today and this happens to it almost every time i click on the launcher. The farthest ive gotten to play the game is the CO Updater, where it started to download an update, then the patcher error occurred.

Please Devs, i know you guys are busy, but this seems like a big problem and should be looked at, or you might lose some costumers.(Not me, i will tough it out :))
    edited September 2009
    Just want to add my frustrations along with everyone else. I love shelling out cash for a game only to have it not work with no response from Devs. This lack of respect to the paying community is pathetic.
    edited September 2009
    ever since they released first patch i cant play( i didnt have time to play till yesterday), i preordered 6month for what to watch update screens, Certainly not if it aint solved i want my money bck
    edited September 2009
    30 days included continue to tick down and still not able to get past "Trying to update launcher".

I had a ticket out, which replied that I should "subscribe" with payment details, which is annoying as I want to get a feel for the game to see if I want an ongoing subscription.

And then, after parting with my credit card details on a one month-rolling basis, still get "Trying to update launcher" !

Seems like the suggested "fix" was none such thing, and now I have teh added aggravation of having to remove my payment details before my free 30 days run out, else I will end up paying another month for a game that I still have not been able to even open since purchase.

Poor show chaps.