Same here...
  • Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I am getting "Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient."

But nothing happens...
    edited October 2009
    Just started getting this today.
    Hadn't tried to log in for probably a week or so before this.
    edited October 2009
    Got this prob too.
    edited October 2009
    having that issue right now after the patch on 10/07/09 any suggestions how to get this game running for me again i was having no issues prior to the patch.
    edited October 2009
    Im having the same issue after todays patch. No problems before that though.
    edited October 2009
    Hit this problem today.
    edited October 2009
    Getting the same problem "trying to update launcher" 5mins then times out just started today at 1850 gmt.

Help please
    edited October 2009
    Getting the same thing. In the past /ipconfig release on the command line seemed to work, but it doesn't work now.
    edited October 2009
    Spooky child's voice. "It's BAAACCKK!"
    edited October 2009
    Guys, it really depends on HOW you are trying to open the game. I clicked on the CO icon on my start menu and got this, but when I clicked on the icon on my desktop, it opened the launcher. Try opening with different shortcut icons. Not sure why it made a difference, though.
    edited October 2009
    Skip the Launcher... Period End of Troubles... I've used this "FIX" Since I got the Error 3 Days After Launch...

Go to Your "Champions Online" Install Directory and then to the "Live" Folder... Now Run the "GameClient.exe"... This will Entirely ByPass the Launcher...

Note: You Might want to Make a ShortCut to this to Avoid Future Issues...

ENJOY the Game Game, I know I do...
    edited October 2009
    Heartz wrote:
    Guys, it really depends on HOW you are trying to open the game. I clicked on the CO icon on my start menu and got this, but when I clicked on the icon on my desktop, it opened the launcher. Try opening with different shortcut icons. Not sure why it made a difference, though.

That doesn't work for everyone, why it does for some and not others I'm not sure about but I can definitely count myself among the ones that won't work for. Tried from the desktop, start menu and going to the .exe directly and no dice. Perhaps it has something to do with their current map issues, I can see putting a hold on new log-ins so as to not overload the maps. Speculation mind you.

EDIT: Launcher finally bypassed but connecting to the account server is now the issue, keeps timing out. I'm gonna go with my original theory about the map problems and locking out log-ins for a bit while they fix it.
    edited October 2009
    I had this same problem just today, trying to load the game from the desktop shortcut. I had been on a little while before and had no issues until I closed out the game and tried restarting. Thankfully I was able to just go into the champions online folder and run the game directly from the executable. The game started up just fine from the actual location so that might be something to try, like a above poster said.
    edited October 2009
    started getting this problem just now, but sporadic. For me it is nothing to do with shortcuts, just random, about 50/50. When laucher does work, patcher doesn't. It just hangs on "connecting..." then eventually times out and closes. I was able to play yesterday, and have not had any similar problems in the past month.

Edit: bypassing the launcher as described above did work to a point...wouldn't connect to account server though, so couldn't play though, so not really an improvement
    edited October 2009
    What a poorly executed game. They finally fix the loading issue this patch, which took a week (4 days of which were spent blaming the users saying it wasn't their fault. Fess the **** up, *******s.), 15 random other days of errors and issues because they fail to be able to put out 1 patch yet that doesn't break the game, and now I'm getting this crap. Sure, there are work around's, but I shouldn't freaking need one.

Hire new programmers, yours blow.
    edited October 2009
    Sigh, same problem here.
    edited October 2009
    Heartz wrote:

This didn't do a thing.
    edited October 2009
    The game crashed me out, now i get the Trying to update launcher message. Some times it gets past this just to hang on the Patch screen. great, after argue with my friend who left the game because he said it was too buggy. I hate being proved wrong. :mad:
    edited October 2009
    Client just crashed (Not Responding), now I'm getting this
    edited October 2009
    **** this, I am so tired of waiting for a fix. It's all I do. I spend more time waiting for dev responses or fix's than I do actually playing the game.

The game is fun, the company programming it are incapable of basic maintenance. I'm going to go back to playing one of the other 50 MMO's on the internet that actually work.
    edited October 2009
    PurpsUk wrote:

Yeah. They are trying to fix something, so they are booting people off the game. I'm not worried about it anymore. I'll go chill in CoH. lol
    edited October 2009
    I got to around 14.7% and it froze up. Now I either get this, or to the patcher where it then stays "Connecting..." until I go idle.

Hope its fixed by tomorrow! I'm giving in for today.
    edited October 2009
    I was getting tired of the rubberbanding anyway!
    edited October 2009
    I just started having this today. I cannot log in, cannot even get to the patching screen. Going to work now, if it's not better by the time I get home, and there's no issue with the servers I guess i'll just uninstall and get my 30-day refund.
    edited October 2009
    after lauching it for the 9-10th time i got to the log in bit. lol of couse now it wont patch
    edited October 2009
    PurpsUk wrote:

Same here...
    edited October 2009
    I'm also having this issue now.
    edited October 2009
    Hmm i must say every time a patch gets applied something goes wrong. It doesnt make me have much confidence in Cryptic as this is very poor. I am sat looking at trying to update launcher. At times this game feel like i paying to play beta. Dont get me wrong i like this game i just have little faith in the staff who are working on the patches or customer services for Cryptic.
    edited October 2009
    i still have trying to update the launcher... :(
    edited October 2009
    The Patch that went Live Yesterday seems to be Suscept (atleast for me)... I just Updated and got INGAME... I had the Best Luck with the StartMenu Icon... Best I can Figure is a Server Issue that Kept Connections from Happening... So Try Again and Best of Luck...
    edited October 2009
    I had to open over 300 instances of this client just for about 10 of them to get through and out of the 10 only one of them connected to the patch client so I don't know but good luck guys it took me over an hour but it's working now.
    edited October 2009
    PandaKun wrote:
    The Patch that went Live Yesterday seems to be Suscept (atleast for me)... I just Updated and got INGAME... I had the Best Luck with the StartMenu Icon... Best I can Figure is a Server Issue that Kept Connections from Happening... So Try Again and Best of Luck...

Was no patch yesterday. There was a patch this morning though
    edited October 2009
    working for me now; had every confidence this would be sorted quick, unlike the "QQ I'm quitting QQ" brigade...this is only the second time I have ever had a problem, and it cost me 30 minutes of game time maximum. Keep up the good work Cryptic :)
    edited October 2009
    Today is the first time I have had this problem. Been playing since Open Beta, and now today I can't get into the launcher. It is frustrating, I only get one day off a week to play.
    edited October 2009
    I bought the game 30 min ago :) What a true deception and a bad first impression !
    edited October 2009
    After patch this morning, played perfectly for a few hours. I signed off and turned my PC off. I've come back a few hours later and am getting the "Cryptic Launder Autoupdate" thing.

EDIT: It looks like spamming the shortcut and opening 10+ instances of champions seems to cause at least one to get through to the server.
    edited October 2009
    Guys - are you running Vista?

I am, and after about 7-8 attempts to log in, I tried right-clicking on the icon and selecting 'Run as administrator'. Went straight to the patcher, and it's now downloading. <Fingers crossed>
    edited October 2009
    I am having connection problems since the patch and I am now stuck at "Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient."

I got past that and was able to log into the launcher but when it went to install the patch it would not start the installation so I restarted the launcher just to get the above message.
    edited October 2009
    I have just purchased and instaled the game and having the same issue as above
    edited October 2009
    I have been lucky not to have had this bug before today. After this mornings patch (Oct 7, 2009) I try to launch from either the desktop icon or from the start menu. Then I get a little windows box saying :"Trying to update the launcher. Please be Paitient" then it times out with another box saying: "Connection was Idle for too long"
    From this thread it appears I am not alone.
    edited October 2009
    First had that oops error, now cant even get to launcher. Boooo I wanna play
    edited October 2009
    if you try again and again it works. Try that. I put administrator launch
    edited October 2009
    Just bought the game through steam, first time I started it it started the download... then stopped. no activity for 30 mins. I closed it, re-launched it. now it's either "trying to update launcher" or when it manages to get to the launcher it doesn't start the download.

Looks like someone has overloaded patch servers... Not cool, cryptic. not cool. this is a good example of "a penny is saved is a costumer lost"
    edited October 2009
    add me too.
    edited October 2009
    I'm in the same boat
    edited October 2009
    same boat, same island, same whatever.

idling out :(
    edited October 2009
    I have the Problem too now... wtf going on? :mad: :mad: :mad:
    edited October 2009
    yupp, just got this bug this morning.

and the "fixes" listed don't do anything of course. They might as well remind me to check if my Ethernet cable is plugged in.....
    edited October 2009
    +1 beginning today...