test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Well, Looks like I am having this issue now also. It just started Friday morning. Worked fine yesterday.
    edited September 2009
    Paceman wrote:
    Same problem here, mine only started doing it on the 3rd, but worked fine before then...

I had the problem back in open beta and then the game worked for two days and then started getting the error again. Depending on the time of day I either get the error or it connect and lags or everything works fine.

I live in Israel and have no problem working on any other MMO (CoH, GW, WoW) and other massive multiplayer games.
    edited September 2009
    I'm having this issue right now.
    edited September 2009
    Having the issue since I got the game in the mail. (Sept 3rd). I couldn't even patch all day and when I finally got to the patch screen the 1.4GB download took all night. I got to play a little bit this morning, but when I logged out and logged back in, I am getting to the patching screen and nothing happens. (It says stuck on patcher). It actually switches back and forth between that screen and the (trying to update the launcher. please be patient) window.
    edited September 2009
    I keep having this issue. Started on the 1st of September and continues now. It usually takes 5 or 6 tries to play the game.

Below is a dxdiag dump of my system. I never had this issue when I was using windows 7, the issue started when I started using windows xp (which seems more stable in game however).

DXDIAG
    edited September 2009
    Still having this issue after it was "fixed" yesterday....re-installed the game and it is still happening.
    edited September 2009
    Worked about 5pst last night after all day down, now its back...

annoying. i thought this was fixed. what's the problem? can we get a dev post please?
    edited September 2009
    malcalypse wrote:
    Worked about 5pst last night after all day down, now its back...

annoying. i thought this was fixed. what's the problem? can we get a dev post please?

i'm having this exact same problem. thought this issue was fixed.
    edited September 2009
    mine just started working after a couple restarts.
    edited September 2009
    Was working fine the past few days without any issues, now unable to log in because of this error. If I'd known this would be happening, I wouldn't have wasted my cash on this.
    edited September 2009
    I played this morning for an hour , went to job , got back , tryed to start the launcher ,it got stuck periodicly after the login screen , so I tryed to reinstall . and now I cant even get to the login screen . got stuck on the "Cryptic Launcher Auto..." realy sucks :mad:
    edited September 2009
    I'm having this same retarded problem. If so many people are having this problem, you'd think they'd get on it and figure it out, or at least have some advice on how to do a self-fix. Hugely dissappointed by this problem keeping me from playing a game I plan to spend monthly fees on.
    edited September 2009
    Ugh, back to this error message again - which employee blew up their servers this time?
    edited September 2009
    I hope this doesn't become a regular thing. I assumed the problem was related to the bigger troubles they were having yesterday. But I just tried to log in and I am getting the "Trying to update launcher" window again.
    edited September 2009
    I think some new employee must have flipped a lightswitch in the server room.:eek:
    edited September 2009
    I purchased the game Sept 2nd and fought with it that afternoon. The issue was resolved that night or so I thought. There was the outage then, a frustrating happening but liveable. I did not think this "Trying to update/Idle to long" issue would come back but it did. Sept 3rd it was a fight all over again, and it seemed it would never let me in. Finally, after a couple hours I was able to play for 30 minutes with horrid rubberbanding and lag. I figured with the servers coming down again it would be okay in the morning.

Now here it is Sept 4th and still battling with "Trying to update"/"Idle to Long" and wondering what recourse do I have. I understand MMO's all flounder for the first days. I am just hoping it will be fixed and I will be able to play.
    edited September 2009
    Ok i was banging my head trying to understand why the heck i was getting this message my authenticator wasnt workin .. Guess what .. I feel stupid, I turned off my internet firewall I use Windows live one care all I did was go to the one care and turn it off .. Not sure if this will help for someone you but it helped me I can play and there is very little lag now too. Of course I turn on my firewall when surfin the net but i wanna play Champions so i turn off the firewall ...
    edited September 2009
    Ok i was banging my head trying to understand why the heck i was getting this message my authenticator wasnt workin .. Guess what .. I feel stupid, I turned off my internet firewall I use Windows live one care all I did was go to the one care and turn it off .. Not sure if this will help for someone you but it helped me I can play and there is very little lag now too. Of course I turn on my firewall when surfin the net but i wanna play Champions so i turn off the firewall ...

Didnt work for me . I have Norton 360 , turned off the firewall and nothing changed - same problem :mad:

Oh and the lack of lag that your experiencing is probably becouse no other user can get on line - just u :D
    edited September 2009
    was playing fine this morning. Went to install it on a different PC and now stuck with this message. This is the first time the game has been run on a new PC. I think it's related to the first few patches.

I don;t even have the option to skip the launcher as the game hasn't been first time patched on this PC.
    edited September 2009
    Installed a few hours ago and haven't been able to update launcher:(
    edited September 2009
    ok does anyone know anyway around this problem? i'm about to try and reinstall everything. after playing for a day i can't play for two this sucks.
    edited September 2009
    I've just ran into this. CO was running fine until the server downtime last night. now can't get past launcher screen.
    edited September 2009
    Hi guys,
    getting the same problem. In fact up until earlier I've been getting the severe rubber banding lag yet have no problem with my connection in the slightest. Even pinging the patch server seems to be nice and fast, although I'm not totally sure if that counts for anything.

Re-installed the game, and now I'm getting a lovely 'Trying to update the launcher box', followed by a timeout.

Answers on a postcard...
    edited September 2009
    I am also getting the same problem. Tried with firewalls off. Strange how I was able to connect yesterday and now the connection just times out.
    edited September 2009
    Couldnt get game to launch either so I un-installed and re-installed both the OB client and the Live client from the CO site. Both just sit with the updating launcher message then time out.

Again like others everything was fine prior to DT then nothing worked after that.
    edited September 2009
    Same problem here.

Tried un-installing, re-installing, re-booting, power cycling, turning firewalls off etc etc.

Getting rather tired of not being able to connect with no response from Cryptic.
    edited September 2009
    Wow so many pages, i could play since launch then since yesterday i couldnt log in, i uninstalled and reinstalled and now its just stuck at "trying to update the launcher" eventually times out and i can never get passed it. This is actually ridiculous!

Is there any acknowledgement to this problem?
    edited September 2009
    Having the same problem.
    edited September 2009
    Nothing yet.
    edited September 2009
    Moldiver wrote:
    Nothing yet.

This is a total **** take, i expect problems at launch but i also expect something to be done, this is not like normal launch problems this is the game not even getting passed the launcher. Ive been a games tester and i spent 3 months once just testing launcher software for one single game. I wish someone was doing the same for this one, i feel like i have just thrown £30 away. I get that i will be able to play it at some point but thats not what i want from the entertainment i spend my hard earned money on i want to play it now or at least soon or even know they have an idea of whats wrong and can fix it!
    edited September 2009
    It worked fine for the first two days, but I have not been able to play since Wednesday evening.
    edited September 2009
    Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient.

well its been 3 days now and I get connection to server timeout or some such.. what do we do.. and stop ignoring this and post on how we get around it!
    edited September 2009
    Just adding my name to the list of people with this problem. Picked up the game about 5 hours ago and have not been able to get on yet because of it.
    edited September 2009
    alright now mine works but i had to uninstall then reinstall it.
    edited September 2009
    nothing works for now... I will try installing it ot the laptop and then will go do different places to try launch the game... if its really a connectivity problem
    edited September 2009
    Yep, same issue here.
    Worked fine for a few days and then bam it's stuffed.
    :(
    edited September 2009
    i've been having the trying to update launcher, please be patient, box for awhile now, since open beta started.

thats right...i havent gotten to play this at all.

i bought the game thinking this would be fixed but i was VERY VERY wrong.

please fix it.
    edited September 2009
    Ok…it’s 5:30 A.M. Sunday morning and this web site says that the servers are up and running…HOWEVER, When I launch I get a message at the bottom of the launch window the says…”no shards found: you have a ticket with 2 permission pairs, but no shards were found.”

Now I’ve been criticized of many a shortcomings over the years, but never for not having a pair of “SHARDS”, so what’s up guys???
    edited September 2009
    /Sign

Stopped working a few days ago. It wouldn't log in but I assumed that was because it was after the grace period and I hadn't entered the key. So I loaded up the launcher after my key arrived and the same error as everyone here has come up.

For Cryptic: this is not some free online game actual money is being wasted by you not fixing this. Lifetime subscription + the retail box is looking like a pretty crap deal right now.:mad:

I don't mind being patient if you can give some ETA on fixing this and tell us you're making it a priority. If it's not a priority why not?

So, what's the problem and when are you going to fix it?
    edited September 2009
    /sign

Unable to get past "Trying to update the launcher, please be patient." since Thursday 9/3.
    edited September 2009
    I haven't been able to log in since the third.
    edited September 2009
    jsshields wrote:
    /sign

Unable to get past "Trying to update the launcher, please be patient." since Thursday 9/3.

Update: Went through all the possible fixes I could find in the forums: restarting wireless, restarting firewall, ports, etc.

No dice.

Did a simple re-boot and logged on with no problems. Go figure.
    edited September 2009
    I've had this problem since thursday....and i've done everything from installing that netframework bs to reinstalling both windows and co. Still nothing...
    edited September 2009
    Same problem, stuck at loading launcher.... bought the game today and im not very happy right now...
    edited September 2009
    /sign

Had problem since Thursday. I've done the whole uninstall/reinstall/, firewall, antivirus, try on new machine, get a copy of files from a friend who can get it and I've got nothing. I've tried the 2008 C++ thing and other tips I found in the forums with no result.

Has anyone come up with something new that lets them get past this problem?
    edited September 2009
    Been trying to access the game for 2 days still getting stuck at "Trying to update the launcher" any help or fix would be appreciated

1 MasterControlProgram[1]: Shutting down: C:\src\Core\CrypticLauncher\patcher.c(110)
    1 MasterControlProgram[1]: Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long
    2 MasterControlProgram[1]: Shutting down: C:\src\Core\CrypticLauncher\patcher.c(110)

i keep getting these as errors my internet connection is fine everything else is connecting except the launcher
    edited September 2009
    From around 6 in the evening to 11.30 at night I had this problem yesterday. From 11.30 to 6 in the morning though, I was able to play. High fps, low lag. Today, I haven't been able to play; so I'm now waiting on 11.30 again. If it works, then it truly baffles me, since that's around peak hours for Americans. Can't be a problem with server load.
    edited September 2009
    Fifty plus pages of the same problem and nothing to be solved? I bought the "lifetime" subscripition and it seems now that this is DOA (dead on arrival). Cryptic had no issues taking my money. That server/ program worked just fine. I wonder if the powers that be are even working on the problem over a long weekend or simply enjoying buckets of cash. Thanks Cryptic for cementing my opion of online gaming. Maybe I can get a refund through my credit card. Perhaps if enough people started to do that Cryptic might be more likely to address the problem.:mad::mad:
    edited September 2009
    Same problem here.
    Reinsetalled the modem/router and game...
    edited September 2009
    hi, i havent slept since yesterday, and have been trying to get past the

"trying to update the launcher, please be patient" box since 6 PM yesterday. its now 2 PM on the next day and since then i've been trying to get past the please be patient box.

trying meaning everytime it says connection is idle, i try to start the client again.

i've restarted, restarted modem router, i even did direct connection to modem and its still doesnt work, so i went back to using my router and it still doesnt work. im the only computer connected through the router so it shouldnt have a problem.

is it my computer? because my friend who was on the same router as me got in instantaneously on his laptop.

but it cant be my computer, what would prevent the launcher from updating?

do i have to reformat my computer to get this to work?

i really dont wanna have to do that =(