test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PC & Technical Issues
I have had this issue since the beginning of open beta, and I have yet to find an answer to the problem that works for everyone. The frightening thing is the fact that instead of seeing the number of people suffering from this problem decrease, every day there is another thread or two going up saying "I just started having this problem."

If we want Cryptic to fix whatever may be causing this, we need to find out just how large this problem is. To do that, we need everyone who is having this problem to post in one thread. The more responses there are, the more likely it is that a real solution will be found, other than just "Restart you computer, Restart the launcher, or Reinstall the game."

Note: After the recent surge of people posting here I would like to ask that if you suddenly begin experiencing this particular issue, wait a few hours to see if they mention anything about the servers being down on the main page before posting here.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I'm having this problem and I've been looking everywhere but no answer.
    edited August 2009
    Having the same issue.. make sure you go into suport and submit a ticket
    edited August 2009
    I'm having this message to. I was playing in the beta fine, until Thursday I think. It sucks because I pre-ordered so I could do the early access thing. I can't play at all right now.
    edited August 2009
    yep same here I pre ordered AND purchased a Lifetime Sub based on Closed beta performance. If I did not have a vacation scheduled I would have waited till open beta before getting the subscription. but I did not have internet access till I came back..

I did not expect Open Beta and the Headstart to have WORSE peformace than Closed beta..
    edited August 2009
    I'm having the same problem, for the second time. Reinstalled the game and everything. Its still not working.
    edited August 2009
    I have the same problem also....feels like a port is being blocked.
    edited August 2009
    Same issue here guys,

I was playing fine at a friend's place, and I brought my PC back to mine and I couldn't get into the patch screen, just the usual,

'Trying to update launcher blah-di-blah' followed by a ceremonious 'Idle too long' error.

Halp :(.
    edited August 2009
    Thank god others are having this problem also. I am so tired of staying up till 0200 to download the client and the only thing I end up with is an idle too long error...

If this is what the game is going to be like, no way am I spending my cash on it. I'm also very disappointed because of the fact that I actually preordered the game and get nothing to show for it (despite the hollow promise of playing in the open beta).

Sakeret
    edited August 2009
    I'm getting that message for a long time then getting an unable to authenticate error.
    edited August 2009
    Same, same.....can't get launcher to fire up....something, something shard missing.....and I pre-ordered this darn thing FOR the headstart....so far....waste o' time.
    edited August 2009
    Propatria wrote:
    Same, same.....can't get launcher to fire up....something, something shard missing.....and I pre-ordered this darn thing FOR the headstart....so far....waste o' time.

same story.
    edited August 2009
    Still going on

Cryptic's support team's suggestion to me was to delete the Live folder program files\cryptic studios\ champions online\live and repatch..

the problem is I can't patch it times out..

what a great suggestion :mad: we experience time outs with the launcher/patcher and Cryptic's solution is to REPATCH!!!
    edited August 2009
    Happened just now for the first time. Have been playing on and off all day and never saw this during beta either.

I just let it hang there and finally a message popped up that it was idle for too long so no updating was taking place... pout.
    edited August 2009
    I just encountered the same problem. I was playing this morning, but when I got home just now and went to try to launch the game, I'm hung up on the "Trying to update the launcher..." message.
    edited August 2009
    Played fine all day, decided to exit out because the game was glitching on me and boom, authenticator bug.
    edited August 2009
    Same issue here. Been playing all weekend and now cant log in. WTF over?
    edited August 2009
    Same here. The game has been working fine all weekend until now :mad:
    edited August 2009
    Ditto lol played in the headstart only and then tonight i get this message trying to patch launcher blad di blah. I liked the game and thinks its really amazing but if i cant play it ... it just isnt.. and i spent money preordering it too
    edited August 2009
    I'm getting it too. Was just playing about an hour ago. Perhaps they are getting ready for retail launch? :confused:
    edited August 2009
    Same. No problems all weekend til now.
    edited August 2009
    Yep, I just got this problem too after recently exiting the game (first time for me).
    edited August 2009
    same here logged out to get my new action figures to post in my action figure tab but i cant get back in.
    edited August 2009
    Same here, was playing all weekend and now cant get in. Same issue.
    edited August 2009
    I'm getting it now too.

I just randomly restarted the client as i'd been reading the forums for a while, now i wish i hadn't lol.
    edited August 2009
    Add me to the list.

I got one of the crashes that I've gotten intermittently all day (irritating that I crash so often, but at least the game crashes gracefully?), bam, "Trying to update the launcher".

Not super thrilled about that, especially since I've been playing perfectly fine (sans crashes) up until now.
    edited August 2009
    same problem here was on earlier now can't get back on.
    edited August 2009
    Same here, as well. I'd been playing all day, left an hour or so ago for dinner, and now I can't get back in.
    edited August 2009
    Just got it about 15 minutes ago. 5 minutes before that I had the login screen up and running but had to run and get some water, clsoed it, and when I came back it didn't work.
    edited August 2009
    I got past that "Trying to update launcher" by d-clicking directly on the GameClient in the "Live" folder, but after that I can't connect to the account server. It just times out.
    edited August 2009
    Same problem here. Played fine all weekend, just tried to relaunch it after a break... Definitive answer fromt he programmers would be nice...
    edited August 2009
    Annnnd this just happened to me too about 15 minutes ago. Was playing just fine the whole head start and then poof. I crash while in Stronghold and unable to get back on ever since.
    edited August 2009
    Well i logged out and rebooted to try and come back in and now i have the same issue, first time for me, been playing fine the hole time.
    edited August 2009
    Also having the same problem. Was working three hours ago, now just hangs on 'Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient.'

Then after 5-10 minutes, Patcher error with 'The connection was idle for too long.'

Not having any internet problems as I'm browsing the Champion forums while waiting for it to get it's act together.
    edited August 2009
    just got this a few minutes ago too.
    edited August 2009
    same thing. Just came from Cinema and boom. Cant connect. Maybe patch server is just offline?
    edited August 2009
    Same issue. What do we need to gather in the way of specific machine specs for the devs?
    edited August 2009
    Well put me on this band wagon as well. I was doing some stuff to the computer and needed to reboot it and just prior to reboot I was on and it was fine and then the updating patcher message came on. This is literally the first issue of any sort I have had related to getting logged into the game.
    edited August 2009
    Add one more to the list of having this problem.
    edited August 2009
    I also cant get in game same message update launcher.
    edited August 2009
    The game worked fine through beta and for the first couple of days of the 'head start'. I played all morning today (30 August) and now I get the "Trying to update the Launcher..." bit tonight... ugh!

Intel Q6600
    Asus P5N-T deluxe
    nVidia GTX-285
    4GB RAM
    edited August 2009
    Having this problem as well. I haven't been home since the head start began to play the game until tonight. First thing I get is this trying to update patcher. Hope this gets fixed before my headstart time is up.
    edited August 2009
    Same issue for me
    edited August 2009
    Just got it too, same situation.
    edited August 2009
    And add one more to the list. Quite disappointed.
    edited August 2009
    Yep. Same issue here. Thankfully I got all my head start stuff done....but its still annoying.

Oh well, Futurama is on!
    edited August 2009
    Just started to have this issue. It will eventually say the connection has been idle to long and stop.
    edited August 2009
    Add me too.
    edited August 2009
    ditto, having this problem now ...
    edited August 2009
    Yep, I have this issue now as well. Logged off for a bit and now stuck with launcher update. Tried restarting it a few time but hasn't worked yet.
    edited August 2009
    I guess this is the proper thread (oops!). Two separate machines XPSP2 & Vista, sharing the same internet connection (wish I had another one to test), both are stuck now.

Maybe the log in server just crashed, but the main game server is still running?

EDIT: Both just went through :). 8:49PST.