What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Doog wrote:
    Greetings Champions!

We are currently performing unscheduled maintenance on the servers and they will be back online as quickly as possible. Please check for updates at our site: http://www.champions-online.com/ as well to continue attempting to login to the game for the most current status.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,
    The Champions Online Tech Support Team

If this was an issue on 9/3

and its still and issue on 9/6

Perhaps there is more to it.
    edited September 2009
    After looking around forums for solutions on the patcher problem and still nothing. I hope theres a subscription refund. The 30 day free trial was useless since I can't even get past the Patcher Autoupdate. $50 down the drain wish the dvd was rewritable at least... i do hope a patcher solution comes up soon
    edited September 2009
    Forums and tickets aren't doing much so is there a higher up email we can contact to at least get noticed.

People are buying the game and their first experience of it is not even being able to log in and play. They then visit the forum to see a thread this size with no solution but others with problems dating back 3 days. Shameful.
    edited September 2009
    Thragnst wrote:
    If this was an issue on 9/3

and its still and issue on 9/6

Perhaps there is more to it.

If you read my initial post, it's been an issue since before 9/3 for some.
    edited September 2009
    As of typing this the thread has had 804 posts and 25,848 views. It hasn't been made a sticky though and is in danger of falling off the main page. I've sent a ticket so if everyone with this problem could also send a ticket then we might be able to get attention and a solution. A manual download of the updated launcher would be the solution according to the error message but a Dev saying what the true cause is would be nice.

So far i've tried reinstalling the game from the retail disc, repairing C++, installing updates via windows Update, restarting the modem and changing the compatability of the game client. Is there anything else I could try?
    edited September 2009
    I'm still getting this problem too.... And it's not just since Sept 3 but has been going on as long as I've been playing (The beginnings of open beta) and we really haven't gotten one word as to why it's going on. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to think cryptic should feel obligated to address this issue in a serious manner.
    edited September 2009
    Going back through this thread I see the last Dev post was 03/09 and nothing but something copied-and-pasted from the news page about the servers being offline at that time. I've seen very little posts in these forums by any staff so where are the Devs? Other than sending a ticket into support what are our options?
    edited September 2009
    Bump until sticky.
    edited September 2009
    One person has got it working via a reformat.

Has the patch messed up something that a reinstall of the game won't fix? Stay tuned to find out.
    edited September 2009
    Glad to see that Cryptic is working hard on the problem. Quickly getting replys back to peoples tickets and addressing the concerns in the forums. Way to go Cryptic, thanks for hosing me out of my money and providing ZERO support. Four days of the same error. I should have spent the money on beer and pizza. At least I would have had something to show for my money instead of a lousy cd drink coaster.:mad:
    edited September 2009
    The Dev tracker shows they're about they're just choosing to not keep us updated.
    edited September 2009
    Got past the "updating launcher" issue by forwarding port 7255. Unfortunately I still cant do anything with this game...now Im stuck with "unable to authenticate."

Personally, I have to say it's frusterating as hell trying to find solutions to these issues...the port forwarding idea I stumbled across through a google search, the trouble tickets through cryptic are worthless. Now I cant find a solution to the authentication problem, but I am noticing about 20+ threads with several hundred posts on BOTH problems. You would think cryptic would be putting information on these apparently very common problems in a place that is easy to find. Hell, Vanguard was bad, but not this bad.
    edited September 2009
    Same, been having this problem since Friday.

I've tried every solution I've seen short of the full re-formatting of my harddrive. Since as of this moment, I've got stuff I don't want lost and no way to back it up.

This is nuts..I know a game a launch has its rocky moments, but this is like dropping Mt. Everest on us here.
    edited September 2009
    Ok... I am finally pass the please be patient screen...
    for problem was with my provider. Apparently one of their machine overheated... dunno which one and what it did... I think it had something to do with distributing I.P. correctly... I had no problem browsing and direct downloading... all I know is that I even couldn't connect to peers on my torrent downloads... so it makes me think it has something to do with permissions from the provider to get to that server...

I did try yesterday to get to the server through a proxy that one of my friend set up for me... but then I couldn't even connect to the proxy...

My post is turning bad now so I will just advise you to contact your provider and try asking them why you can't connect to the server
    edited September 2009
    Starting to look like another AO failed launch.

Edit: Ok I uninstalled the game completely from my system then reinstalled via the CD. I was able to get to the patcher and am currently patching....I hope this holds up. Not sure if they fixed it on their end but things are looking up.
    edited September 2009
    Just tapping this thread, to get it back up.

Still having the problem. 'Trying to update the launcher. Please be Patient.' and then 5-10mins later.."Connection to patcher was idle too long."

But here is what gets me..when I am trying to update the launcher, I check the forums and such. Everything else is laggy/slowed down while the auto-updater is 'on' and then it still says the connection was idle.
    edited September 2009
    ZippyStar wrote:
    Ok... I am finally pass the please be patient screen...
    for problem was with my provider. Apparently one of their machine overheated... dunno which one and what it did... I think it had something to do with distributing I.P. correctly... I had no problem browsing and direct downloading... all I know is that I even couldn't connect to peers on my torrent downloads... so it makes me think it has something to do with permissions from the provider to get to that server...

I did try yesterday to get to the server through a proxy that one of my friend set up for me... but then I couldn't even connect to the proxy...

My post is turning bad now so I will just advise you to contact your provider and try asking them why you can't connect to the server

Some ISPs filter their network to slow/block torrents and some people believe that the CO server is being picked up as a torrent for some reason.
    edited September 2009
    Well, I know that is not my problem. Cause I can do torrents just fine. In fact everything else works just fine. Its only the Cryptic Launcher Auto-Updater that isn't working.
    edited September 2009
    I've just bought the game on steam... download ok... registration ok.... patcher fails.....
    Either cryptic launcher autoupdate is broken or their servers suck big time!

Not impressed!!!

:(
    edited September 2009
    Having same problem. My account is authenticated, I've been able to play until this weekend, and now it sticks on the autoupdate attempt. The CO site needs a manual download utility for launcher patches.
    edited September 2009
    I agree with that. Or just something to help fix this problem.

Like you I've been playing till this long weekend started, now I am still stuck at the auto-update thing for the launcher.

I've held off doing a uninstall/reinstall cause I know the moment I do that, they will say.."Hey we fixed it!" and then I would have to patch again lol.
    edited September 2009
    I've been stuck at the same point for 4 days and have yet to play. Is anyone working on this issue?:mad:
    edited September 2009
    Well, I had this problem for a while and got fed up. I remember people on here saying if you open a bunch up it might work so I did that. I pressed and held enter on the Champions online.exe till about 100 of them were open, then left it for a minute and about 6 of them acutely brought up the launcher. I was happy to see this. I tried logging in and it wouldn't let me because the log in thing timed out, much like the patchier did. So I logged into all of the launchers that opened until one of them acutely worked, then it patched and I was able to play.

I have to do this every time I want to log in though. Sometimes I have to close them all down since none of them get a response and try again though. I hope this can help some of you.
    edited September 2009
    Just got the game today, Installed it over my BETA version. Went to start and bam "Trying to update the launcher".

What a pain, I thought they would of fixed this before retail release. I remember a lot of people had this problem in the BETA. Icing on the cake is I went just now to change my avatar and got a 500 Internal Server Error. Fantastic.

Hopefully There'll be a fix for this soon, Eager to play.
    edited September 2009
    Ok, all this requires is that you know someone who was able to get the launcher update. Back up your launcher executable, have your friend send you an email with their updated launcher attached, and plug that into your Champions folder.
    If anyone doesn't have a friend who was able to patch, pm me with your email address and I'll send you a copy of mine.
    edited September 2009
    I Tried a copy from a friend and it doesn`t work -.-
    edited September 2009
    Same, that was one of the first things I tried. A friend of mine is easily playing the game, sent me their launcher.exe file...still no go for me.

Hope this gets fixed soon, haven't been able to log in at all since friday.
    edited September 2009
    827 replies, not including this one, and not one word from the devs...this is bs.
    edited September 2009
    Just a quick note, My sister in the other room installed her version of the game on her computer and tried to run it but got the error we're all getting.

Might mean it's purely a network issue, Then again might be nothing.
    edited September 2009
    Well I figured out what my issue was. Up until sept 3rd I could run CO in compatibility mode, however after that patch I could not, as to what exactly the reason is, is still beyond me, however I changed it, and for some reason it worked, currently patching up all the data because I had uninstalled it.
    edited September 2009
    I am having the exact same issue. Opened a ticket and 0 response. I understand launch technical issues but I will not be paying a subscription for a game I cannot play.
    edited September 2009
    I installed yesterday Windows 7 on my Computer and now under Windows 7 it works. My friend how use Windows XP, can play without problems too. I thinkt now that Windows Vista have problems with the Game.

My experience are:

Windows XP = The Game works
    Windows Vista = The Game doesn`t work
    Windows 7 = The Game works

I think that is a realy big problem for the publisher, because in the back of the cover stands it runs under Windows XP AND Vista... They have to fix the problem very quick because i thing many peaply use Windows Vista at there home Computer, but i dont know are some people out there who play and use Windwos Vista?

I hope this is a help for someone out there ^^
    greetz from Germany
    edited September 2009
    Benzka wrote:
    I installed yesterday Windows 7 on my Computer and now under Windows 7 it works. My friend how use Windows XP, can play without problems too. I thinkt now that Windows Vista have problems with the Game.

My experience are:

Windows XP = The Game works
    Windows Vista = The Game doesn`t work
    Windows 7 = The Game works

I think that is a realy big problem for the publisher, because in the back of the cover stands it runs under Windows XP AND Vista... They have to fix the problem very quick because i thing many peaply use Windows Vista at there home Computer, but i dont know are some people out there who play and use Windwos Vista?

I hope this is a help for someone out there ^^
    greetz from Germany

This is completely false.
    It runs fine on my Vista laptop and doesn't run at all on my Vista Desktop.

The problem seems to be utterly random.
    edited September 2009
    Ah ha, Good news for me. It's started working for me today and now I'm patching. Here's what I was doing when it worked:

1. Started up the game, got the little "Trying to update.." box.
    2. Left it doing it's thing while I attempted a lag fix from this site that I got linked to from a post in the forums.
    3. The second I changed the 'Windows Scaling factor to 2' (See the link) the game suddenly started.

Now, the website states that it needs a reboot to put the changes into effect, so it was probably just a coincidence but maybe worth a try.

UPDATE#

Patcher gets stuck at 7% >:[

UPDATE# 2

Just tried the CMD line fix on my sisters computer and no go. I must of just got lucky. Patcher still at 7% >:[
    edited September 2009
    I finally got it working but not on Vista.

Dual booting into XP is the only way I managed to do it. Strangely I running CO from the same directory it was installed in as XP gives me access to the directory. A double click and the patcher updating message appeared but quickly disappeared and the laucher came up.

So it's something with Vista not hardware related.
    edited September 2009
    I have it too!!!

Trying to update the launcher
    Please be patient

"A file was locked that could not be open for writing"

Why?!
    edited September 2009
    I had the same problem where it would say "the connection was idle for too long". i just went into my windows firewall settings and added champions online to my list of exceptions and it started up just fine.hope this helps somebody
    edited September 2009
    i had it fixed after i uninstall and reinstall but now it's back this is a pain in the a**...if i have to reinstall everything, every couple of days...:mad:
    edited September 2009
    Im also getting the same issue, have been since the 8/9 . Very dissapointing. Im one of the unlucky Nvidia users who suffers from FPS issues aswell, well at least i can't log on and become miserable at my crap FPS rate and Nintedo 64 graphics.
    edited September 2009
    I've temporarily had this problem several times after a patch, although it never lasted long. Unfortunately today, I've wasted several hours thinking there was an update going on. How could the game work perfectly fine yesterday, but fail to work today? What's going on here?
    edited September 2009
    LeStryfe79 wrote:
    I've temporarily had this problem several times after a patch, although it never lasted long. Unfortunately today, I've wasted several hours thinking there was an update going on. How could the game work perfectly fine yesterday, but fail to work today? What's going on here?

Yeah me to. I am baffled
    edited September 2009
    Game won't load for me at all now.
    Not sure why.
    edited September 2009
    i have the same problem. ......... hell i have a very bad feeling about this....:mad:
    edited September 2009
    Still can't get in tonight due to same issue. Had planned on starting a super group with some friends.

I submitted a DxDiag with new ticket. No luck with old ticket.

Don't know about you guys but if this isn't fixed by the time the free 30 days is up I'm canceling.

Too bad really... I've loved the game so far (when I've been able to play).
    edited September 2009
    Still getting "trying to update launcher please be patient" then connection idle message for some reason this only happens on my desktop for some reason windows vista blocks out the program tried the firewall fix, run as admin and still no go. so after 800+ posts are we going to get help from cryptic?
    edited September 2009
    just got the game and finished installing and got this problem, not a good start :mad:
    edited September 2009
    For this patch all was fine.
    When i double click the desktop Symbol for the game. The game never launch. Only a small box with the name Champions appeared at the botton of the screen an nothing happens then.

-On my PC is running Windows Vista
    I have tryed folling things with no luck.
    -i reinstall the complete game
    -I open following port on my router 7000-7600
    -I start the game in windows XP with service pack 2 mode
    -I shut done my firewall to see if this is the reason.
    - i checked again my retail activation key and try to reenter it
    only a message that this key is already entered appears
    - I cancel my account an activate the account again to check if there a problem

nothing was helpful. Please i need help on this problem
    edited September 2009
    I've been stuck with this since Friday night. (So 5 days and counting)

I played some earlier in the day on Friday. Had to do some other things tried to log back in...got stuck on 'Trying to update the launcher'

All the fixes I've tried that has worked for other people in this thread haven't worked for me. So I guess I'm just stuck till Cryptic can fix it.
    edited September 2009
    mmm still the same problem after the server are going up and no replay to my ticket.
    seems to be on my own.

Any Dev alive out there? Do you know from this kind of problem that many of us has at the moment?
    Do you do anything? Let us know if this problem is adress or in work or anything

Or give us hints to fix this problem . It is possible that we can do anything more.
    edited September 2009
    I get this only at school. Is there something I can do at my end to make it work. I tried disabling windows firewall, but that didn't work.