test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I just wish developers could start to preempt some of these issues. :/ Oh well though, just have to be patient.

Oh, and awesome avatar Icegryphon. :D
    edited September 2009
    shintek wrote:
    I have the same problem. Try exiting the Updating Launcher, and re-running the .exe again. I usually manage to log on after a few tries. But it's still completely unacceptable. I also get disconnected in-game more often than should be normal, and I ALSO get disconnected (or I guess a plain old game crash) at the character creator. This in one buggy game right now. Hopefully that big patch solves some of these issues. But so far I'm not impressed by the quality of the code, or by the support we're getting. And to come back to this launcher problem, I only started having it in Live. Beta was fine. How come that the studio that brought us CoX, one of the most stable MMO's I've played, is responsible for this mess they call a game? Anyway. Of course, the one night in the week where I can game without having my wife complaining, they have to come out with a half a gig patch. And what the heck is up with the "launcher news" dates? We're the 3rd damnit, not the first! This is so silly. Get the darn dates right, I never know if what I'm looking at is current news or old stuff. Pathetic.

That isn't all necessarily game related in the sense of the game being the cause of the crash. You ever think your system might be the issue? I have had 0 issues playing the game and 0 crashes. Been playing since Open Beta. (that sounded kind of conceded /apologize if it still does)
    edited September 2009
    Broken-Jex wrote:
    First of all its all okey, just don't like the way you made your other post, and non of us really know what happend so im a little tired of ppl "acting" like they know whats going on and then go crazy over it, i understand your frustration, but we still don't know what has happend... so ppl should stop blaming and talk like they never are going to get another chance to play again.

I agree with you, however, I think that the outraged responses from people are probably due to insufficient communication from Cryptic. this still doesn't excuse them for being silly, but lack of cummincation encourages this type of response.

The problem they are having with the patcher was an issue before I went to work this morning ( 7AM EST ). So, that makes it an early morning problem Cryptic time. And, it is still a problem now, almost 12 hours later.

I think it is more of a problem due to the time it took Cryptic to respond with any kind of indication that they were aware of the problem. Which probably means that there was either no monitoring, or monitoring with no success on contacting someone knowledgeable enough to respond to the issue.

Like everyone has said, this happens with just about every MMO.. I'm not sure I can think of one that didn't have a problem similar to this.

Unfortunately, some are better than others at keeping the community informed as to what is actually happening. And I don't mean by trying to sift through an IRC Chat programs log to locate valuable information, when I say this.

Ahh well, life goes on. :)
    edited September 2009
    Same here. Looks like a lot of people are having the same issue. Is Cryptic in the middle of working on a fix for this? I know that theres sometimes issues on day one or two or three but not like this. It's usually in game stuff.
    edited September 2009
    Hi all!

I just bought the game today and installed it around noon my time (EST). After installing it, not able to do anything. Keep getting a "Trying to update Launcher" message and then it times out. I realize the servers must be down, but I've been trying on and off all day since noon my time.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if something weird is going on with my install or if it's server-related (I know the server is showing as down, but I never even got to a point where I saw a Launcher. Just installed the game and boom: Dead end.)

I'm not upset (well, a little, lol), not flaming, just trying to seek out some info. The fact that I haven't seen a Launcher yet worries me. It makes me think something went wrong with the Install (which I realize is probably just me being paranoid). And I'm NOT computer savvy, so I realize this might look like a stupid question.

I'm just trying to seek out some info. Is the fact that I haven't even seen a Launcher yet something I should be worried about? Or should I just chill and wait until they get stuff together?

Thanks
    edited September 2009
    generical wrote:
    I agree with you, however, I think that the outraged responses from people are probably due to insufficient communication from Cryptic. this still doesn't excuse them for being silly, but lack of cummincation encourages this type of response.

The problem they are having with the patcher was an issue before I went to work this morning ( 7AM EST ). So, that makes it an early morning problem Cryptic time. And, it is still a problem now, almost 12 hours later.

I think it is more of a problem due to the time it took Cryptic to respond with any kind of indication that they were aware of the problem. Which probably means that there was either no monitoring, or monitoring with no success on contacting someone knowledgeable enough to respond to the issue.

Like everyone has said, this happens with just about every MMO.. I'm not sure I can think of one that didn't have a problem similar to this.

Unfortunately, some are better than others at keeping the community informed as to what is actually happening. And I don't mean by trying to sift through an IRC Chat programs log to locate valuable information, when I say this.

Ahh well, life goes on. :)

I agree mate, I agree.
    edited September 2009
    Yes, this is a real problem for me too. I'm not going to spend two hours trying to download and install the game and get Vista to swallow it without throwing up (again) every couple of days. I'm playin for free for thirty days, CoH is still active, and if I wanted to jump through client hoops I'll ditch Steam to go play on Impulse (who will refund your money if you aren't satisfied, thank-you!)
    edited September 2009
    Voladura wrote:
    Hi all!

I just bought the game today and installed it around noon my time (EST). After installing it, not able to do anything. Keep getting a "Trying to update Launcher" message and then it times out. I realize the servers must be down, but I've been trying on and off all day since noon my time.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if something weird is going on with my install or if it's server-related (I know the server is showing as down, but I never even got to a point where I saw a Launcher. Just installed the game and boom: Dead end.)

I'm not upset (well, a little, lol), not flaming, just trying to seek out some info. The fact that I haven't seen a Launcher yet worries me. It makes me think something went wrong with the Install (which I realize is probably just me being paranoid). And I'm NOT computer savvy, so I realize this might look like a stupid question.

I'm just trying to seek out some info. Is the fact that I haven't even seen a Launcher yet something I should be worried about? Or should I just chill and wait until they get stuff together?

Thanks

Not to worry mate its a server wide error, just hang tight and you'll *ahem* be in tights in no time...
    edited September 2009
    Broken-Jex wrote:
    Well i would like to know what MMO that had "a totaly" perfect launch? and i would never change back to WoW becourse of the "now" pretty lame graphic, and i think a lot of "new" mmo players feel the same way "been playing WoW for 3 years, so no im not a hater"

Reading without understanding is so common these days, thats been proven by scientists too!
    Either thats the case with you or u're really here just to troll as pointed out by a couple of other forum users.
    edited September 2009
    RoboDist wrote:
    Not to worry mate its a server wide error, just hang tight and you'll *ahem* be in tights in no time...

LOL! Thank you, Robo. I was just concerned about the fact I hadn't seen a Launcher. As I said before, I'll chill now :)
    edited September 2009
    Hidey0shi wrote:
    Reading without understanding is so common these days, thats been proven by scientists too!
    Either thats the case with you or u're really here just to troll as pointed out by a couple of other forum users.

Ok mate don't seem like you really know what trolling is, if you take that post as trolling....
    edited September 2009
    same here any fixes yet?
    edited September 2009
    actually, ive been able to get into the login screen, but it gets stuck at some kind of connection. Times out, and I'm back at the login screen. Still, a step in the right direction.
    edited September 2009
    Doog wrote:
    Greetings Champions!

We are currently performing unscheduled maintenance on the servers and they will be back online as quickly as possible. Please check for updates at our site: http://www.champions-online.com/ as well to continue attempting to login to the game for the most current status.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,
    The Champions Online Tech Support Team

I don't mean to sound arrogant but 'continue attempting to login to the game'? That seems slightly unneeded, when you can just check the server status at the top of the official website.
    edited September 2009
    I have been able to get to the updater. it has loded to o.2 o.6 and 1.2 % before failing
    edited September 2009
    Hey, just an update...I got the Launcher up! Awesome progress! (Said without sarcasm)

I think it's actually patching, but I can't be sure. The Launcher area in the status bar at the bottom of Windows shows "0.8%", but when I open the actual Launcher, it's totally dead.

Anyway, I got the Launcher. I was afraid my Install was screwed but I feel better about that (I'm still ****ed I can't get in, who isn't, but how pathetic is it I got a Launcher and I'm happy lol)
    edited September 2009
    i guess im another thats get to the update window and goes for a few % then it losses connection. I was hoping my 5 central time it would be up but i guess we have to wait some more :)
    edited September 2009
    dum di dum dum dum :rolleyes: patience Champions...
    edited September 2009
    I've had it since yesterday
    edited September 2009
    Actually is going more now it stills say server is down but its downloading the patch is 1185 MB and im at 8% :p
    edited September 2009
    i can get to the patch but dont really want to start downloading. They have said not to patch as it wont remain the same patch, just hope they announce when we can start dling
    edited September 2009
    Poyzinblud wrote:
    I don't mean to sound arrogant but 'continue attempting to login to the game'? That seems slightly unneeded, when you can just check the server status at the top of the official website.

Well, no offense, but if the server has been down all day and you can't reliably even see the Forums, a little icon on the top of the page that is reliably down and up all day isn't something that I personally put a lot of faith in
    edited September 2009
    This is ****ing ********!
    I left the house this morning around 5:30am and this games was down and I just got home thinking i would be able to hop on and play and run into the same ****ed up **** as this morning. I know it's the first week of launch so those of you who say **** like "they always run into problems like this during launch" is ********! I have never seen anything like this in the past 5 years with the exception of wow when it came out. I can't help but be a little ****ed knowing that i shoved 50 bucks up a dead dogs **** on this turd....
    One thing i do know is that Cryptic better get their head and their **** wired together or their are going to be more and more ****ed off people... sending them hate mail... I thought this sort of crap was supposed to be taken care of in the Beta? but once again it's just another way for game companies to **** the public.... Jesus Christ and people wonder why i drink....
    edited September 2009
    You drink because you can't get your MMORPG Fix? ... .... ..... I hear ya.
    edited September 2009
    Helpless game.

Oh, well. Maybe it will be up when my subscription expires?
    edited September 2009
    well i know they said not to try to patch but i just been trying to figure out if the server is up or not i really want to play >.< is at 37%
    edited September 2009
    can we start patching now, id preferably like to start it now and leave it over nighm that way it may actually be finished when i wake up
    edited September 2009
    I just had this gifted to me today by my brother. After a long convo with him on the phone trying to break me away from WoW to try this "awesome" game, I broke down and gave in agreeing to give it a whirl for a month to see how I like it. Well, I installed it at 9am this morning and have not been able to patch it, and it says the servers are down. So I have been playing, you guessed it, WoW while I wait to try this game that is supposed to break me away from my current addiction. Not really a good start. I know bad stuff is supposed to be expected, but an entire day down 2 days after launch doesn't place much confidence in a new and budding community. I can only hope that the stability of the client/server improves or it could end up another great game concept down the tubes due to lack of stability.

Oh, well, I'll check back later, may as well do some Wintergrasp with my guild while I wait, at least that's working.
    edited September 2009
    Is there an alternative way to download the patch manually? I've found the game patcher to be ridiculously slow in downloading it by itself. I can reliably download 1200 megabytes in around twenty minutes which beats the pants off anything this patcher seems to be able to handle. Instead of spending two days patching I would enjoy being able to play in an hour or less.
    edited September 2009
    Oh well, I've been sitting here on and off since noon today, EST, I think I'm going to give up. I think I'm a very patient person, but I don't know, this is just beyond the limits of patience, just my opinion. A very, very, very negative first impression of the game, I realize MMOs have terrible launches sometimes, but I HAVE been reading about the game all week and it seemed like clear sailing, now I'm just not sure
    edited September 2009
    Well this certainly doesn't bode well. Retail online games live or die in the first month after launch. Regardless of the severity of the problems, even little things make a huge impact on the gamer who throws down the cash (which equates to personally supporting the project) and wants to play and faces server downtimes, bugs, changes in mechanics, etc right from the onset. As a monthly subscription commitment you do not want to be investing time and money into something that is more headache than enjoyment. With so many alternatives it is easy to say "screw it" and move on to something else. You feel taken advantage of and cheated, which compounds the problem for producers with multiple titles, because most people I know would say "So and so is crap, I played this other game by them and got burned, I'll never play one of their titles again." I have done this more than once.

Personally I desperately want the game to succeed since I bought a lifetime subscription. So far my experience has been less than favorable. Not with the game itself, I enjoy it immensely (when it's working) and the devs appear to be trying very hard to listen to player feedback and make the necessary changes to accommodate.
    Day 3, not the best launch.. I have a feeling if things don't settle before the 22nd Aion is going to steal more subscribers than you can imagine. Hate to see it happen.
    edited September 2009
    Neverness wrote:
    Well this certainly doesn't bode well. Retail online games live or die in the first month after launch. Regardless of the severity of the problems, even little things make a huge impact on the gamer who throws down the cash (which equates to personally supporting the project) and wants to play and faces server downtimes, bugs, changes in mechanics, etc right from the onset. As a monthly subscription commitment you do not want to be investing time and money into something that is more headache than enjoyment. With so many alternatives it is easy to say "screw it" and move on to something else. You feel taken advantage of and cheated, which compounds the problem for producers with multiple titles, because most people I know would say "So and so is crap, I played this other game by them and got burned, I'll never play one of their titles again." I have done this more than once.

Personally I desperately want the game to succeed since I bought a lifetime subscription. So far my experience has been less than favorable. Not with the game itself, I enjoy it immensely (when it's working) and the devs appear to be trying very hard to listen to player feedback and make the necessary changes to accommodate.
    Day 3, not the best launch.. I have a feeling if things don't settle before the 22nd Aion is going to steal more subscribers than you can imagine. Hate to see it happen.

You said EXACTLY what I wanted to say, but much better than I was able to. I agree 100% with your post.
    edited September 2009
    this is happening to me right now, i was playing fine yesterday then today when i tried it gave me that then i checked the website and saw it was down so i tought it had to do with that but since it's up again and i'm still having that. Is there a quick way to get it fixed or should i reinstall everything?
    edited September 2009
    Joining the Trying to update group. Yesterday I managed to create a character but was never able to log in, getting the disconnected from server while loading, today I can't get past the patcher starting.

I'm US.
    edited September 2009
    I had a 1 gig patch, re-installed from DVD - now only 313 MB.

Might want to try that guys.
    edited September 2009
    yep same here
    edited September 2009
    Seems as if the server is up on the site; however, the launcher will not update. and bypassing it and going straight into the program folder to the client only loads the client screen with the message about loading the account server. By all attempts on my part seems as if the server is still down, or too overloaded by others like myself trying to log in as well.

10pm here in MI
    edited September 2009
    Neverness wrote:

Itll succeed. Remember War hammer online upon launch? Remember when people came back after it was fixed? I remember my history teacher often saying "if we dont learn from history history will repeat itself."
    edited September 2009
    Neverness wrote:

I concur :)
    edited September 2009
    I still having this issue . Where i can find an answer about this problem ?
    edited September 2009
    Before getting to my main reason for posting there is something I wish to point out. People who say this is only the third day of launch, it is technically the sixth day of the full game (three day head start program). Plus my initial post mentioned that I myself have been experiencing this issue since beginning of open beta.

Now to the real post.

I submitted a ticket way back on 8/23/09 and began to get responses on the 28th (although not very useful ones). After running a trace route and submitting the results I finally got an "answer" yesterday, 9/2/09. Their response was that my ping time was too high (averaging around 600-700) and needed to be less than ~250 in order to connect. I know that this explains the problem, but I still wonder what is causing the problem. Without my firewall or any security up I am unable to connect to Champions Online, yet even with everything active I am able to connect to a game like Guild Wars (no I don't have a better game to use as an example since I don't have an active account on CoH).

Finally, I would like to remind everybody that this thread was created to get a count of the people experiencing the issue. So I ask that people try to remain as civil as possible. This means that I would request that no one freak out or overly complain (we are all concerned, but no need to get hostile), and that the "chill out" posts are kept to a minimum (if a person complains, telling them to calm down will just further upset them).
    edited September 2009
    First let me say that the noob who did the patch manifest, needs to be spanked and the video posted on YouTube...no other remedy will sufice! :)

That being said, much love to the poster who suggested deleting the entire app and reinstalling. I was one stuck at 46.9% patch as the client verified every file. On a lark, I deleted the app (couldn't be slower than what was already a slow process) and re-installed. Its now patching much quicker at 314mb, so kudos to whoever posted that.
    edited September 2009
    Still getting the same problem and servers are UP.

Any ideas what's doing it?
    edited September 2009
    Yep I have had this problem since yesterday afternoon and I still cant download a patch and play.
    edited September 2009
    I really don't know if that works for everyone but it did for me.

Since i have started wondering if it is not related to my ISP maybe i started playing around with my settings.
    After some tricks didn't work i have decided to change DNS'ES for ones typical for my provider (i used outside VERIZON DNS of 4.2.2.1 before)

As soon as i changed those DNS'ES the launcher worked properly and started downloading the patch.

I launched the game afterwards and it wokred like magic.

As i said i really do not know if that is solution for everyone but it worked for me so maybe it is worth trying in some cases.
    edited September 2009
    peruk wrote:
    I really don't know if that works for everyone but it did for me.

Since i have started wondering if it is not related to my ISP maybe i started playing around with my settings.
    After some tricks didn't work i have decided to change DNS'ES for ones typical for my provider (i used outside VERIZON DNS of 4.2.2.1 before)

As soon as i changed those DNS'ES the launcher worked properly and started downloading the patch.

I launched the game afterwards and it wokred like magic.

As i said i really do not know if that is solution for everyone but it worked for me so maybe it is worth trying in some cases.

some people dont understand computer talk so when explaining something be more specific please.. Thanks
    edited September 2009
    So from what I can see, the servers went down for maint. and there is no post saying they are back up yet. I don't see the little green server up indicator at the top of the page either. (could just be it's not there in the editor).

Some people said that reinstalling from scratch worked if you got stuck patching. However that doesn't appear to be the case when you get the original error for this thread "Trying to update the launcher" although that can certainly be related to patching / patch servers.

is there anything definitive on the patching SNAFU, or the issue with the launcher update (which happened before the numpty screwed up the patch manifest)?
    edited September 2009
    Instead of getting the original error I'm now getting something saying "unable to authenticate" when I try to log in.
    Anyone got any ideas on whats going on?
    edited September 2009
    Same problem here, mine only started doing it on the 3rd, but worked fine before then...
    edited September 2009
    mines been doing this since about 10 am yesterday morning.