test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I too now have this problem. First time today.
    edited October 2009
    I have it too,
    I could just play normally this afternoon <.>
    Well I hope it gets fixed quick.
    edited October 2009
    Me too, now. Just started after I had my first gfx crash.
    edited October 2009
    Doing some debugging on my own connection... updater tries to connect to an IP address about once a second until it times out... 99.99999% of the times the server resets the connection immediatly (connection refused).

in the 0.00001% of times it works the launcher starts. THEN it's the same thing all over again with the next IP address in line...

My guess: this is an overloaded patch server refusing connections OR having massive troubles.

Let's hope it gets better today, maybe it's my bad luck to have bought the game on patch day...
    edited October 2009
    i got this after i disconected:(
    edited October 2009
    This just started for me today. Possible has to do with new update?
    edited October 2009
    Lost, you're right probably, it was a bad bug and I guess they're desperately trying to fix it.
    edited October 2009
    Ah, mine has now worked. I've logged on and am patching. It now has a Blood Moon backdrop on the launcher.
    edited October 2009
    yup it works hahahaahaaaaaaaa finally i can try this game :) OMFG
    edited October 2009
    mine just connected and started downloading, finally...
    edited October 2009
    Heh, after the trouble of getting the launcher to load, I'm now stuck downloading the patch on 97.1% (180.4MB of 186MB) It's been like this for about 5 minutes now.

edit: I cancelled, started again and it finished within seconds. I think this is non-too-stable tonight.
    edited October 2009
    Still trying, same thing, I'm done for now.
    edited October 2009
    same thing happening here, tried countless times with no change. Nice first day at champions online :mad:
    edited October 2009
    I've just installed the game and cannot play it, I can't exactly return the game?

How long am I to stay patient for when I don't even get a welcome screen? I've turned my Firewall off and still no lcuk, this sucks!
    edited October 2009
    God damn it! I'm still waiting for this stupid launcher update, what kind of company ships a game with launcher problems. I'm ****ed off and still waiting for a fix!
    edited October 2009
    your not the only one. i'm getting really s***ed off with it
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I've got the "Oops!" Cryptic launcher error thing, too. *sigh* What the hell is going on? We just wanna play!
    edited October 2009
    Still PO'ed. I got past the launcher and into the patch but stuck at 30% for the past couple hours now. The patcher says :

Transferring 420kb / 30%
    Modified 6656kb / 21mb (<--- is something wrong with this ??)

The transferring data numbers do go up though but the 30% never changes. And yes, I rechecked my firewall and turned it off and disabled the antivirus just to double check but still the same.

Reminds me of the "Good" old days of the EQ1 patches :p
    edited October 2009
    Mine is going anywhere - it just sits there for fifteen minutes "Trying to update the launcher" and then gives me the time-out message. I just bought this game and I can't play it - nice going Cryptic! :rolleyes:
    edited October 2009
    I've had this problem consistantly since release and Cryptic hasn't been able to do a thing about it. I get lucky and connect sometimes but really should I have to cross my fingers to hope to play a game I pay a monthly fee for?! Come on, Cryptic... this isn't getting silly. It's well past that... it's friggin' laughable! I'd be laughing if I wasn't so mad about not being able to play the game. Get it the <expletive omitted> together!
    edited October 2009
    just adding my name to the list..
    edited October 2009
    Tichelli wrote:
    I'm getting that message for a long time then getting an unable to authenticate error.

Same problem here :mad:

URL="http://champions-online.com/which_champion_are_you"]grond.jpg[/URL]
    A child of radiation and science gone awry, you are a mutated monster of pure, unstoppable rage. All you really want is to be left alone, and if anyone gets in your way, they get smacked into next week.
    Take the quiz!
    i
    edited October 2009
    I get stuck at "crptic launcher autoupdater" then it times out saying "connection ide for too long". I actually got through to the login screen then the actual patch screen last night after 7 biillion attempts, then got stuck there trying to connect, then timed out on me, and havent been able to get passed"cryptic launcher autoupdater since. All firewalls, antivirus, routers are off and contacted my ISP to make sure ports 7000-7599 were open, even tried hotspot shield for the VPN deal, hoping that would help, nothing works.never had this trouble with ANY other online game,(wow, AoC, LotRO, ROM,GW, etc....)NEED HELP!!! Im running out of my 30 frre days!!!!!!
    edited October 2009
    So i've run the game with no problems for awhile now, but now I'm getting this issue . . what could possibly be the reason?? I hope this is a server issue . ..
    edited October 2009
    Been having this issue since early last week, The week before I was getting crash at atari screen, the week before that it was all smooth sailing with settings on high. Tickets in no solution yet.
    Glad I'm not alone.
    edited October 2009
    I'm stuck at the same mini-screen too: trying to update launcher"

Please help. :(
    edited October 2009
    I've got this problem too. It seems to be a recurring one - I fixed it earlier in the week by copying the updated "Champions Online.exe" from a friends computer, but then three days later it's back to trying to update the launcher, and giving me this error :(

If they could put a link to the updated launcher on the web site, then a least we'd have a workaround.

Steve
    edited October 2009
    it is comforting at some lvl that im not the only one with this prob, not comforting to know that it is a long running prob...i have had it b4(several times) but it just fixed by itself after several hours...not happening this time though!...it would be nice to know what is happening, the launcher is steadily downloading and i dont know if its going to eventually work or is it just wasting my bandwidth? should i just give up and try in a few days? a week maybe? i would like to play co, but if i cant there are better things i could be doing than watching "trying to update launcher. please be patient" like play one of the many other games out there that i CAN log onto!
    edited October 2009
    oh come on guys...you shut the server down? what for, has anyone actually had any improvements cause im just sitting at the launcher still....over 10 hours later, y is it it was working after the patch but after the hour long maintenance it wont even begin to work? been maintained real good hey!
    edited November 2009
    Still no fix? <sigh> :(
    edited December 2009
    Come on now, I wanna play:(
    edited December 2009
    Just bought the game frankly its a dissapointment, please sort it out.
    edited December 2009
    I'm getting it too, hope Star Trek Online isn't gonna be like this...
    edited December 2009
    Gah, same problem. This has been going on since AUGUST?

As someone mentioned above ... Star Trek Online is out soon and if this is what we can expect then ILL PASS!
    edited December 2009
    Got this on and off while playing the demo. Thought it might have been due to it being a demo, but sounds like it's pretty wide spread on "real" versions too. Will edit this post if it happens after I go live. (Steam seems to want to DL the game, even though I would think I'd have it already. Ah well......:p)
    edited December 2009
    I'm putting my name down, too. I can't get past "Trying to update launcher." It has been about 30 minutes so far.
    edited December 2009
    Just started with me too! I have never had this problem before so its really random and out of the blue for me. When everyone else was having various problems i thought " oh, it's just some freak problem that wont ever happen to me." Now after 5 months of the game runnin perfectly im having a problem i hope this is a one time thing or i will cancel my subscription.
    edited December 2009
    I also get this error. Fortunately though, it doesn't last very long, maybe 15 seconds tops.
    edited January 2010
    yeah, now i'm getting this error now. i payed for a lifetime subscription to a game that i can't play. this problem need to be fixed NOW!! or i'm going to want some sort of compensation. it is unacceptable that they havn't fixed a problem they've known about for over 5 MONTHS!!
    edited January 2010
    I get this too, very annoying, never got it before, now it won't stop.
    edited January 2010
    I get this quite often, I also get 'Server Not Responding', a hell of a lot.

Edit : Seems to be back on now.
    edited January 2010
    I can't get past the "update launcher" either. I was just playing about 2 hours ago too.
    edited January 2010
    So this isn't a server problem? Would be good if Cryptic gave us some sort of information of what's going on... (I'm also unable to get past the "Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient." but I don't have infinite patience..)

Hmm, I got it to work now.. Did two things.. Might have been either one of them or neither and the problem was fixed by Cryptic. If it wasn't and you're still having problems you might as well give this a try:

* Set "Champions Online.exe" to run as Admin (Right click -> Properties -> Compatiblity -> Run as Administrator)

* Start Internet Explorer, I never use IE so it registered as the first time I used the program and I had to go through the small configuration guide. Check Internet Options -> Security and make sure "Enable Protected Mode" is UNTICKED for "Internet".

This is simply what I did, and then it worked. It doesn't mean it will work for you, it might just have been a coincidence it worked.
    edited January 2010
    I have the same problem, does anybody know how to solve it yet?
    edited January 2010
    Totally stuck on this problem.
    edited January 2010
    I had this problem today for ages, just this being stuck on "updating launcher please be patient", then I tried the "fix" on this thread:

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=54340

and now it works again. I have no idea whether it's a coincidence or not, but it seems to be working ok now - it only says "updating launcher" for a few secs now, and not every time, like it used to before today.
    edited January 2010
    Getting the problem also just started happening today going to try powerhouse fix.
    edited January 2010
    Same here, odd thing is I played today. More so I launched game from desktop and it successfully worked like 5-6 hours ago. Not sure when it started to happen, all I know since 8 PM roughly when I got back home and started the game, I got stuck on that little window. Been like that ever since.
    edited January 2010
    Nelien wrote:
    Might have been either one of them or neither and the problem was fixed by Cryptic. If it wasn't and you're still having problems you might as well give this a try:

* Set "Champions Online.exe" to run as Admin (Right click -> Properties -> Compatiblity -> Run as Administrator)

This worked for me. Windows Vista has always been kind of finicky about this with certain games. Cryptic may have changed it so that this is required. Kudos to you, Nelien!
    edited January 2010
    Seems to have worked I’m in game now also set it to run as admin and let it sit for a while.

The funny thing was i already had c++ thing installed. Told it to do a repair so I can't be certain that’s what fixed it