test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Nexxa wrote:
    Opened 200+ instances of the thing but not one connected. Worse than yesterday where about 6 of them worked but, despite that, each one timed out at connected. I recall CoH had a patcher that, unless your connection was near-perfect, you couldn't connect half the time or worse. This one's infinitely worse. Can you do -something- to make it more forgiving to people? Really... I want to recommend this game but all I'm able to do at this moment, at best, is say 'Stay away until they can make it worth playing'. A far cry from the optimism I showed for this game before. But what do you care?! You're not even reading this. Almost 900 posts and all we've gotten thrown our way is an insult to our intelligence.

The near-perfect connection sounds about right. Since when I submitted a ticket, my response was that you need a ping of less than 250 just to connect (although how I managed to connect twice is a mystery to me).
    edited September 2009
    Got this issue. It was working fine, but after today's maintenance it is not working anymore. I logged off before maintenance.
    edited September 2009
    I'm pretty sure this is a firewal/ISP issue. I can connect from home with no problems at all. However, at work -a junior high school- I get the launcher update error. Either their ISP is blocking it or has too bad of a ping. I'm not sure how much this helps those of you still having trouble, but I'd check your firewall settings, your ping and/or contact your ISP provider.
    edited September 2009
    1. Is there a link to the download that anyone is aware of currently?
    2. what firewall ports or settings need to be opened to which location to allow the launcher to work?

I do have a firewall and I watch the TCP connections going outboutd but never get a reply from the Crypic server in return. Come on now.. I can see this is not my firewall blocking. ( I can completely shut it all off and go direct with no blocking or set the firewall as any/any still no dice from what I can tell... )

Something else is going on...
    edited September 2009
    I'm going onto my 13th day with this problem.

I've tried EVERYTHING that the devs and other players have suggested (the stuff that worked for them)

And nothing..And when I file a ticket, I get the basic response. I don't have a firewall, and all my settings are correct..yet after 5 mins.."Patcher Error: Connection to update server idle for too long."

Fri, 09/04/2009 - 15:43 <-- That was the last time I was logged in, I sent mail to myself for one of my other characters.

Logged fully out of the game and shut my computer off, since I had stuff to do..Turned everything back on..tried to start up Champions..and there was the error..and it has yet to go away.
    edited September 2009
    Everyone post here http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=67332 to help diagnose the problem and maybe we'll get a solution.
    edited September 2009
    I've posted in that thread as well. They still haven't sent an email like the dev said they would for info and such.
    edited September 2009
    Getting it too (surprise, surprise) and have been since open beta. I'd be laughing at how pathetic it truly is that such a dreadful issue has existed for so long... and failed to of been fixed as of yet were it not for my being stuck suffering it.
    edited September 2009
    I only seem to get this problem in the evenings, never during the day or in the late afternoon. Only after about 8pm.
    edited September 2009
    I'm having this issue as well, and have for over a week.
    edited September 2009
    it's been a week and a half for me. Can they give us any info on what they have planned for us?
    edited September 2009
    I was having the same issue. However, I was able to get to the log in screen after I enabled SLI. If you are running XP and using dual core go to control panel > Nvidia control panel > enable SLI. If you haven’t patched with Nvidia in awhile you should update your drivers as well. I also deleted the live folder in Cryptic folder.Good luck on getting into the game.
    edited September 2009
    Im having this issue i reinstalled rebooted my PC and everything still didnt work WTF is goin on
    edited September 2009
    I still have this problem: when I start the launcher (or at least try to) on my Vista laptop, I get this message "trying to update..." and then a Windows Defender window asks me if I want to unlock this site, asking me my "secret question" (look in my secret diary... :p) but then I still cannot access the site...
    I tried to reinstall and restart the game as an administrator, create a firewall exception and activate my antivirus' game mode, but that still won't do...
    It's about time Cryptic fixes this problem...
    I must add that I manage to play on my old laptop (XP, Centrino 1,7 GHz, 512 MB, Radeon Mobility 9600), but not on my newer one (Vista, Dual Core, 1GB Ram...) :confused:
    edited September 2009
    I started having the problem last night, haven't been able to log in since, just get the launcher is trying to update message.
    edited September 2009
    Bump. Tracking this thread.
    edited September 2009
    I been a victim of the "little evil launcher box of doom " since Saturday .
    edited September 2009
    I'm having the same problem. Just purchased the game 7 hours ago and haven't surpassed the idle connection screen. I updated and patched WOW perfectly so I'm positive it's not my connection. This isn't a good impression for my 30 day trial. :mad:
    edited September 2009
    having the same issue as everyone apparently!!
    edited September 2009
    I'm having this problem!
    edited September 2009
    Just bought game online today (September 26th 09) im having this same issue, I go tot he updater and it timed out... are there still no fixes? Still checking all threads for a clue..
    edited September 2009
    Doesn't seem like theres a fix.. This is rediculous.. Just bought the game for 50 bucks and can't even play it for 2 days... Just rediculous.
    edited September 2009
    I just got the same problem. What is going on? Is it because I logged into the game from a different PC? That's outrageous. What is going on? Are we gonna loose our 30 day playing if this keeps up?

What is Cryptic Doing about it anyway???
    edited September 2009
    Well CO was working Fine, then about 2 days a go, it stopped.

When i click on launch, nothing happens.

IF i get to trying to patch Message, nothing happens, and it times out.

I Tried reinstalling the Game. I Tried Running The Anti-Virus,to see if i was infected.
    I Tried Switching the AV Off. i Even Wiped My Hard Drive,and re-installed windows!!!!

Wahey! a clean install of Windows Worked!!!

I Played for a bit, Then Guess what? Next time i clicked on the Icon for CO
    Back to nothing happening!

:(

Bah!
    edited September 2009
    Coldare wrote:
    Well CO was working Fine, then about 2 days a go, it stopped.

When i click on launch, nothing happens.

IF i get to trying to patch Message, nothing happens, and it times out.

Same problem here. Thing is.... I had this problem at launch and had to do the "run in compatibility mode for windows9x" fix. But after about a week (and a few patches) I didn't have to do that anymore - the game would load, and performance was fairly smooth.

But in this last week it started happening again, only work-around to get the launcher to load is in "compatibility mode for 9x" So I can get into the game with this fix, but performance is unplayable like 8-15fps in this mode.
    edited September 2009
    this is BS, a waiste of 50$, fix now plz or give me my money back!!!:mad:
    edited September 2009
    I am having this problem also. The launcher doesnt say preparing to update, however it ocassionally flashes up that message.

Cryptic fix this problem or roll back the launcher OR RELEASE A MANUAL PATCH.

There are no problems with the client i just cant use it because its out of date.
    edited September 2009
    Please try the steps in the following link, and then if you get the same results contact our technical support team.
    http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=76001

http://www.champions-online.com/support/tech
    edited September 2009
    Ok guys. I am back in the game. I was having the same problem as all of you. The launcher would just hang at trying to connect. I dont know if this will work for you. Cryptic did respond to my post about this that they are aware of it. You can find it here.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=74298

This all started about the same day I got Service Pack 2 for Vista from Microsoft. That same day I decided to disable my Symantec antivrus software in MSConfig which was expired anyway. I was very careful not to disable any Microsoft services. Only things labeled Symantec corporation. (and there was a bunch). I dont know why I Didnt put this all together the first time as a possible cause to why the game was not running.

Friday I decided to have another go at fixing this. I went back into MSConfig and under services I enabled all. Again the only services off was Symantec Corporation. The game started working immediately after reboot. So I uninstalled Norton Antivrus (wich was expired anyway) It took quite a while and I was supprised at how many different things it was attached to. I also noticed upon uninstallation that a window popped up saying error something or another windows is trying to fix whatever it was. Upon uninstalling Symantec it was breaking my windows.... LOL It recovered thankfully and symantec uninstalled just fine. Rebooted and have been plaing just fine with no problems ever since.

Now I dont recommend running without Antivirus but in my case it didnt matter.

Oh btw. I have most of the current drivers for my PC which is an ASUS laptop.
    I did not open any ports on my router.
    There is an exception for champions in windows defender.
    I have not needed to do anyhting special in the past or now to get champions to run.
    As far as I can tell this was caused by me and quite possibly my symantec antivirus zerg software that came with my laptop.

I hope this may help some of you.
    edited September 2009
    I don't know if it's the same happenin' to me? But everytime i log into the launcher it wont start downloading the patch.?? It keeps showing "No shards found: you have a ticket with 0 permission pairs. but no shards were found." ?? Can anyone tell me what it means?
    edited September 2009
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Stormshade
    edited September 2009
    Janus1991 wrote:
    I don't know if it's the same happenin' to me? But everytime i log into the launcher it wont start downloading the patch.?? It keeps showing "No shards found: you have a ticket with 0 permission pairs. but no shards were found." ?? Can anyone tell me what it means?

It means you do not have an active account to play. You have to enter the retail key from purchasing the game and set up a subscription option with payment method before the game is activated. You will have 30 day subscription bonus time and you will not be billed for the subscription until that 30 days is over.
    edited October 2009
    Just got the game and getting very frustrated.
    Ive been tryin for 2 days and cant even get the updater to update, just keeps timing out.
    Check through lots of posts and know its nothing on my end.
    Is there any links to get the patches to apply manually, or could someone please upload lastest
    launcher exe somewhere so I can at least get to the next problem. Thanks

Launcher PCL Error The connection was idle for too long
    edited October 2009
    I too have had this problem on about three or four different occasions. I can get round it by removing the exe from me firewall exceptions and then readding it. I'm on using Windows firewall. It has work everytime so far.
    edited October 2009
    'The connection has been idle for too long'. What the hell does that mean? Is Cryptic not sending me information or what?
    edited October 2009
    I'm stuck at "Trying to Update Launcher" as of 10/1.
    edited October 2009
    I just started having this same problem today.
    edited October 2009
    wait a few hours to see if they mention anything about the servers being down on the main page before posting here.

lol ya right
    edited October 2009
    hear, hear! so have i
    edited October 2009
    Crap FEST!....same...ALWAYS THE SAME..Can anybody say warhammer...
    edited October 2009
    Yersi wrote:
    'The connection has been idle for too long'.

Just started to have this problem today. Started playing last friday everything was fine until the patch yesterday. Yesterday after the path I was able to log in but the graphics were all jacked up. Today I just get "trying to update the launcher" for about 5 min. then I get the "the connection has been idle fo too long" error
    edited October 2009
    Is anyone in the game at this time?
    edited October 2009
    This has been happening since the maintenance on the patch server that the declared finished about an hour ago.

Not sure if anyone is in game as none of my friends are, but if no-one was in they'd probably be more aware of it and post on it. (only post so far is that they are aware people can't get into the PTS)
    edited October 2009
    For those of you playing through Steam and stuck on the "Trying to update the launcher," this worked for me: right click Champions Online, select Properties, select Local Files tab, and click "Verify integrety of game cache..." Steam will download something or other, and the game launcher will open properly next time you launch Champions.
    edited October 2009
    I just started getting this error today. I was able to play yesterday w/o issue...
    edited October 2009
    Started to get this today as well. Just started actually when I tried to log in around 6:30 EST. "Idle to long". I was playing some this morning just fine though. :(
    edited October 2009
    Started to get this bug myself today :(
    However it happened after a crash to login with me being unable to log back in...
    After deciding I'd do something else for a while i foolishly closed Champions....
    After this I've been unable to get the launcher up at all :(

Tried reboot, cleaning game cache and reinstalling and still not getting anywhere..

Any tips from anyone out there?
    edited October 2009
    Having the same problem here. Only get the "trying to update the launcher" message now, then I get "connection was idle for too long". Don't get the launcher up.
    edited October 2009
    Having the same issue and mine started after the last patch. I click the icon and get the Cryptic error dialog box after 10-30seconds. Tried in compatability mode makes no difference. Even reinstalled the game. :(
    edited October 2009
    I've had this problem for over 3 weeks. Can the devs post us something saying there working on it or somehting?