Install Arc
Options

Patch cancelled, account cancelled

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Khell wrote: »
    First of all - call me ma'am, if you please, dear sir.

And second - nope, can't. But I'll learn it if you promise to leave STO.

I stand corrected Ma'am hurry to the lifeboats-remember this is the titanic and it it is always women and childern first. And sorry ma'am but i cant leave my post now i have to get as many off as i can before she sinks even if it means going down with the ship.:D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gruug wrote: »
    You people know that personal attacks on each other CAN get you banned.

Do you think we are both stupid mate? I'm sure we both understand the forums rule even if he left school.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah that's the problem you left school, Now you can go back to night school and finish it, maybe then life won't seem all that depressing too you.

Pills don't solve anything.

Why would I do that when I have run my own succesful business for the last 15 years. Yes life is depressing at the moment thanks to surgeon and hand therapist negilgence I have had to have 5 more operations and if the next one doesn't work I will have to have my right hand amputed. Thats why the fact that as they put it a game-breaking bug means a delay is no big deal.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mithie wrote:
    Which is fine - if you didn't follow it up with a barrage of thinly veiled snide comments which I probably should have known better than to retaliate in kind.

Let's start over.

This is my position.

IF you're dissatisfied with the product (and you have every right to be) then I encourage you to direct this dissatisfaction toward Cryptic and Atari.

I encourage you all to cancel your subscriptions, post your feedback about the company and the product, and spread by word of mouth to your friends about being wary of future products by these companies.

Hell, if you really think you're getting screwed, I encourage you to take it up with the better business bureau.

Picking on the little guy, like Gozer, on the other hand, who is completely unrelated with the PR process and has absolutely no responsibility of briefing or interacting with you, is completely and utterly useless, not to mention mean spirited.

How was I picking on him, by disagreeing with a statement he made because I felt however unintentionally it gave a negative impression of Cryptic? On his original post in question I thanked him for his input, I merely (originally) agreed here that his statement carried a particular tone. I made no comment on Gozer himself, who I am sure is a fine upstanding individual.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Personally I think they deserve everything they are getting now. With such a massive IP as Star Trek they can hardly been surprised at a backlash when they release a half finished game with less content variation than pong.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Abalister wrote:
    Personally I think they deserve everything they are getting now. With such a massive IP as Star Trek they can hardly been surprised at a backlash when they release a half finished game with less content variation than pong.

You've played a better version of pong than I have obviously.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Puppy dogs and rainbows :D!

Sorry just had to post something positive, been getting all bummed out here :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kevscar wrote: »
    Why would I do that when I have run my own succesful business for the last 15 years. Yes life is depressing at the moment thanks to surgeon and hand therapist negilgence I have had to have 5 more operations and if the next one doesn't work I will have to have my right hand amputed. Thats why the fact that as they put it a game-breaking bug means a delay is no big deal.

So your self employed too? Well least we have something in common. .....Sugar.......
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    You've played a better version of pong than I have obviously.

PS2 had a really awesome version of it way back when.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How was I picking on him, by disagreeing with a statement he made because I felt however unintentionally it gave a negative impression of Cryptic? On his original post in question I thanked him for his input, I merely (originally) agreed here that his statement carried a particular tone. I made no comment on Gozer himself, who I am sure is a fine upstanding individual.

I think your original statement was much stronger than that, and I wasn't gunning specifically for you, but rather the sentiment being thrown around in this thread which you partially represent.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    they could try getting it right the first time / faster. you'd think with the state the game is in and absolutely NO end game content right now they would be working on this 24/7 to get some content out.

How do you know they are not?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slackjaw wrote:
    I stand corrected Ma'am hurry to the lifeboats-remember this is the titanic and it it is always women and childern first. And sorry ma'am but i cant leave my post now i have to get as many off as i can before she sinks even if it means going down with the ship.:D

*drops a curtsey* You are too kind, dear sir! However, I'm afraid that I will have to stay. So it does look like we will both go down with the ship ... ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ganimir wrote:
    How do you know they are not?

Judging from past games you would be foolish to think otherwise.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the GM goes and explains why the patch is taking a bit longer to implement, great :cool:

He explains that if it churns out a lot of hate and bile (already prevalent in this thread, not to mention other threads) that we just won't be receiving updates on what he's up to for a while. OK, I can deal with that. You'll get no hate coming from me. I can empathize man, take your time.

Most of the forum posts:
    what? it's delayed? I'm quitting! Bad customer service!
    what? he made that remark? oh no he didn't *snap snap* I quit!

Best of luck to those quitting then. Those of us staying will enjoy the patch and hopefully more open communication with the devs/staff.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Khell wrote: »
    *drops a curtsey* You are too kind, dear sir! However, I'm afraid that I will have to stay. So it does look like we will both go down with the ship ... ;)

Thank you ma'am, let me get you a coat i hear the water is very cold:)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mithie wrote:
    I think your original statement was much stronger than that, and I wasn't gunning specifically for you, but rather the sentiment being thrown around in this thread which you partially represent.

Here is my initial statement

Umm the dev made a statement that if customers took a particular action, he would take a retaliatory and negative action..kinda sounds like a threat to me?

I was commenting on the word threat, not on Gozer himself. Which as now I look back at it, was in response to a post of your where you told a person that because of their opinion you thought they needed to get off the internet and go outside for a while, which is granted your opinion. the difference in my mind being that the first post was a person opinion about a developer's statement (but not as a person) whom he has a financial association with, as opposed to your statement which was a personal one on an indivudual whom you dont share that relationship with.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Durgan37 wrote: »
    Wow...they delayed the patch.

*Enters Chicken Little*

"...THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!..."

*Commentating, Wes Sachel, news reporter for KQRT.*

"You heard it hear first folks. The end of the STO has begun. Unfinished game, cries of agony, no patch."
    Pauses

"Tom you can see the gamers moans and wails. Its a sad day, all they look forward to was a new content, and its clear that the evil empirical devs of Cryptic are laughing in their faces."

Pauses

"Only time till tell when the gamers will have their patch and all the world will be at peace again..."

"This is Wes Sachel reporting on the STO forums."

haha, good one.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just trying to think about this without any annoyance over the delay of the patch (the truth is that if they hadn't slapped a date on the video, I certainly wouldn't be as annoyed as I am - the date made all the difference).

I'm glad they're taking the time to make sure the new content is stable (just wish they'd done that with the game itself).

But the annoyance that I've got working right now is that by the time the new content releases live, it'll wind up passing the free 30 days that came with the purchase of the game.

Indigo said that they'd found a show-stopping bug in the 11th hour, and that needed to be fixed, and that's why they delayed release.

And thinking on that it's worrying. There's been a Dev post elsewhere that says that the 45-day patch is on schedule, but what happens if it hits the same problem?

I know that Cryptic want to make money on this game. What'd be the point of running it if they weren't going to make money? They're not a charity organization.

But given the issues that STO has had and continues to have, maybe they should think about extending the free play period a bit, at least until this patch has been live for, say, a week.

The sentiment on these forums from many people is clear: "No new content by the time the free play period expires, I'm out." I'm one of those people. It doesn't make sense to stay if all you can do is run around in your T5 ship and do nothing very much.

But extending the free period just that little bit longer would certainly alleviate the (quite justified, I feel) annoyance and distrust many are feeling toward Cryptic over this game - and might just convince people to stay.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slackjaw wrote:
    Thank you ma'am, let me get you a coat i hear the water is very cold:)

Thank you so much! I'm afraid I have to turn my attention to other matters now (they call it "work") but if you should happen to find someone to fiddle while we sink, I'll reserve a dance for you. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stelakh wrote: »

But extending the free period just that little bit longer would certainly alleviate the (quite justified, I feel) annoyance and distrust many are feeling toward Cryptic over this game - and might just convince people to stay.

I agree, at this point the long term health of the game is going to be determined just as much by well crafted public relations, as anything else the programmers will do.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    Puppy dogs and rainbows :D!

Sorry just had to post something positive, been getting all bummed out here :(

Oh, my god. Not rainbows! One of them killed my aunt and her puppy!

Why yes. I do have a twisted sense of humour.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mithie wrote:

And boy you sure had me thinking you were gunning for me...must have been one of those AOE attacks? Was it a cone, or a split beam? :p

(as since we have had some misunderstandings this is my trying to steer things back into my usual semi-humorous nature not me being 'snarky')
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, my god. Not rainbows! One of them killed my aunt and her puppy!

Why yes. I do have a twisted sense of humour.

What did your aunt try to ride the puppy to the end of the rainbow for the gold, because that just doesnt seem very practical. Everybody knows you need to ride a unicorn over it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just trying to think about this without any annoyance over the delay of the patch (the truth is that if they hadn't slapped a date on the video, I certainly wouldn't be as annoyed as I am - the date made all the difference).

I'm glad they're taking the time to make sure the new content is stable (just wish they'd done that with the game itself).

But the annoyance that I've got working right now is that by the time the new content releases live, it'll wind up passing the free 30 days that came with the purchase of the game.

Indigo said that they'd found a show-stopping bug in the 11th hour, and that needed to be fixed, and that's why they delayed release.

And thinking on that it's worrying. There's been a Dev post elsewhere that says that the 45-day patch is on schedule, but what happens if it hits the same problem?

I know that Cryptic want to make money on this game. What'd be the point of running it if they weren't going to make money? They're not a charity organization.

But given the issues that STO has had and continues to have, maybe they should think about extending the free play period a bit, at least until this patch has been live for, say, a week.

The sentiment on these forums from many people is clear: "No new content by the time the free play period expires, I'm out." I'm one of those people. It doesn't make sense to stay if all you can do is run around in your T5 ship and do nothing very much.

I agree. Good will goes along way.

Thats the rub. The "tin foil hat" side of me thinks that this is a way to push people out past the first month marker to resub if they want the new shinny content, and that the 45 day patch will release just after the 60 day mark to push out the subscriber base on the fence another month to see the "45 day" patch.

Why do I get these "X-Files" vibes? CHAMPIONS ONLINE.

Seen this exact song and dance from this developer before.
    Of course this is all my opinion, but its something to look at as to why some of us are taking this as more than "one patch got delayed, big deal"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    What did your aunt try to ride the puppy to the end of the rainbow for the gold, because that just doesnt seem very practical. Everybody knows you need to ride a unicorn over it.

Well, she was a bit odd. And besides, unicorns only let virgins ride them. She'd had kids (mind you, on the positive side, they lived).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, she was a bit odd. And besides, unicorns only let virgins ride them.

Wikki link or it didnt happen?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree. Good will goes along way.

Thats the rub. The "tin foil hat" side of me thinks that this is a way to push people out past the first month marker to resub if they want the new shinny content, and that the 45 day patch will release just after the 60 day mark to push out the subscriber base on the fence another month to see the "45 day" patch.

Why do I get these "X-Files" vibes? CHAMPIONS ONLINE.

Seen this exact song and dance from this developer before.
    Of course this is all my opinion, but its something to look at as to why some of us are taking this as more than "one patch got delayed, big deal"

Or maybe they are just totally inept and cant get it together fast enough....just saying
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    Wikki link or it didnt happen?

"The original myths refer to a beast with one horn that can only be tamed by a virgin maiden..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn

Heh.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    "The original myths refer to a beast with one horn that can only be tamed by a virgin maiden..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn

Heh.

Wow...you were serious... and right! Who knew! :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bye Bye. Have a strong drink for me.

Are you leaving as well?
    I was saying Bye to the OP, but a strong drink sounds good. Preferably single malt, 20+ years olds.:)