What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Patch cancelled, account cancelled

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm Sorry That Cryptic can't meet your release needs, better luck on your next game. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Roachbugg wrote: »
    Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Luckily they didnt get around to programming the door into the game, so it isnt an issue...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    Luckily they didnt get around to programming the door into the game, so it isnt an issue...

:eek: looks like you may have inflicted a fatal wound
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:

Ok i LOL'ed at that to:p:p:p:p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:

Credit where its due. That makes me chuckle a lot.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It has been 45 days since release? I don't think so. Also if you've played MMOs before you should know that there is usually (+-) 1-2 weeks to the devs ETA. If you can't wait it just shows that you already lost interest to the game. Played too much I guess. I feel sad for people with OCD who needs to get to cap level as soon as they physically can. And then they sit and bite their own fingers. Worst of all are those complete loosers who get to level cap and then come to forums to complain.

Its been clear from start that STO is a CASUAL game. So its nobody's fault that you can't play games casually.

I don't wan't to start a fight. I just want to point out some peoples point of view. I respectfully understand your concerns, however, casual or not we are still going to have to pay monthly. If there is no content and hardly any in the near future it is absolutely reasonable for people to be concerned. I still payed full amount for the game, so I respectfully expect the standard of content to be in line with other MMOs I have payed the same price for in the past. Also, 5 more lvls where promised if I remember correctly. Maybe if the promises made were kept at launch people would be more patient and understanding to the upcoming content. That being said lets just wait and see how the new content turns out. I think we have come this far so whats another week. We all can agree that we want a gr eat STO experience.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't wan't to start a fight. I just want to point out some peoples point of view. I respectfully understand your concerns, however, casual or not we are still going to have to pay monthly. If there is no content and hardly any in the near future it is absolutely reasonable for people to be concerned. I still payed full amount for the game, so I respectfully expect the standard of content to be in line with other MMOs I have payed the same price for in the past. Also, 5 more lvls where promised if I remember correctly. Maybe if the promises made were kept at launch people would be more patient and understanding to the upcoming content. That being said lets just wait and see how the new content turns out. I think we have come this far so whats another week. We all can agree that we want a gr eat STO experience.

Yes we can agree that we all wanted a great STO experience You also have to accept the fact that alot of us feel we are not getting it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    Great minds...look awesome in jars! :D

With neato pink or purple fuid
    Originally Posted by ZeroNavigator
    It has been 45 days since release? I don't think so. Also if you've played MMOs before you should know that there is usually (+-) 1-2 weeks to the devs ETA. If you can't wait it just shows that you already lost interest to the game. Played too much I guess. I feel sad for people with OCD who needs to get to cap level as soon as they physically can. And then they sit and bite their own fingers. Worst of all are those complete loosers who get to level cap and then come to forums to complain.

Its been clear from start that STO is a CASUAL game. So its nobody's fault that you can't play games casually.
    Yeah, I left the movie early so I missed the part of the video where it said +or - 2 weeks on that video
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Get out man. It has nothing to do with other aspects of life. Save us all the philosophy. That IS a bad comment to make to a community you are trying to hold on to. People are here because they have faith in Cryptic and their ability to bring the game to a AAA level. That comment does not endear them to their community what so ever. He really can not see why people are upset? Thats the funniest thing about it. Is he that detached from the community to not see it?

It was a joke...jeesh read the whole thing. Lighten up people. The mans human not a robot..he's allowed to make jokes. It's refreshing.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slackjaw wrote:
    Yes we can agree that we all wanted a great STO experience You also have to accept the fact that alot of us feel we are not getting it.

I feel the same way. I guess I am hoping that this patch will help the situation. Whatever happens Cryptic definately needs to realize that any promises not kept at this point is going to magnify 10 fold. I just think that if the new content in the upcoming patch is not satisfactory then there is no doubt that many have a justified reason for leaving.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hunaxor wrote: »
    Yep, just that easy. I can live with some problems, no endgame or anything. But right now we should be playing some new endgame for one week. And surprise, we wont be playing it this week too!!
    My hope/trust is over. Only reason for me to subscribe next month is that 45 day patch (clear money grab). But how I can sub now? They are not able to do what they promise. One week, ok. But next week and still nothing?........
    I will not pay for words.

Your lack of patience could stem from a common condition many MMO players suffer from these days called Attention Deficit Disorder. I think they have a pill for that now...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    lothic wrote: »
    Your lack of patience could stem from a common condition many MMO players suffer from these days called Attention Deficit Disorder. I think they have a pill for that now...

No lack of patience is a growing thing in the game industry by customers because the game developers are not held to the same standards other industries are held to.

Think Toyota feels the pain with all the recalls because of the lack of attention to detail and putting out a bad product? The same should be done to developers like Cryptic who sell something based on lies, half truths or whatever and fail to deliver.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Castor wrote: »
    No lack of patience is a growing thing in the game industry by customers because the game developers are not held to the same standards other industries are held to.

Think Toyota feels the pain with all the recalls because of the lack of attention to detail and putting out a bad product? The same should be done to developers like Cryptic who sell something based on lies, half truths or whatever and fail to deliver.

Software developers being held to the same standards as other industries?
    Welcome to the never-ending quest of the last 50 years of Computer Science. ;)

I'm not suggesting what you want is not desirable, I'm just suggesting you might want to be a bit more realistic about making statements like that, especially in reference to MMO development in general. You'll save yourself a stroke in the long run...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Castor wrote: »

Careful, logic is virtually excommunicated around here. You are bordering on acting like an informed customer with all of its inherit health risks. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm still trying to find some information on this patch that everyone is pooping their pants over. What is it? What's supposed to be in it? Is there a link? Is this the extended Borg missions patch that Cryptic talked about but never gave a release date for, or so I thought?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Careful, logic is virtually excommunicated around here. You are bordering on acting like an informed customer with all of its inherit health risks. :p

Spitting into the wind has a certain amount of "logic" to support that activity as well. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    lothic wrote: »

Maybe enough of us have played enough MMOs to be able to recognize the difference between a quality MMO and a bad one? Nah...couldn't be that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    Umm the dev made a statement that if customers took a particular action, he would take a retaliatory and negative action..kinda sounds like a threat to me?

Who did he "threaten" and what "retaliatory" action did he state he was going to make....
    You thinskinned people should really get some brine and rub it on yourselves to toughen up a bit.
    Why shouldn't he promise not to post further when all that happens is the bile and hate.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why are devs and their overly devoted fans so over dramatic all the time? There are no haters here when people have issues with the game. But these fans routinely hate on customers for their opinion.

Is the day spent watching soap operas and the night spent trolling the STO forums? When is it time to play and work on the game?

lol!
  • Options
    edited February 2010

From what I heard over 7 million people bought Star Trek Online. Let's assume every one of those 7 million customers paid only $50. That's $350,000,000 gross.

So a company that released a new game that made $300,000,000+ in its first few weeks can't follow through on promises of release dates? Mind you, Cryptic still has to earn the $15 from everyone all over again.

It's not looking good.

I'm sorry what now?
    Firstly your figure, wherever you heard it from is way off base. Atari already made a big spin news affair out of the fact that there were just over 1 Million STO accounts without mentioning that all of thos accounts included the 500000 beta keys they gave away plus anyone can open an account here without ever buying or playing the game. Many people register on websites just to get news about a games progress up to its launch.
    So whatever the box sales were you can be sure it is less than 1 million and likely nearer 200000 ( given that Emmert was aiming for 100k to go above break even and Cryptic gort more than they bargained for )

Ok, now some more numbers for you

In the half year earnings statement up to March 31st this year Atari's whole group revenue from all operations was €68.5 million most of that coming from the US Atari Inc and made up by the 1 million sales of Ghostbusters the video game.
    Of the the whole of the Atari.SA group's income only 15% of it is from the PC market so of that €68.5 million 15% is from PC revenue. Are you keeping up? Subscriptions are only included in revenue once they are in the bank so future commitments for Champions and Star Trek Inline are not counted until they are received.

Now, that was revenue. They did not make a profit. In fact in the first 6 months of this financial year they made an operating loss of €19.9 million ( and it was only this good because they sold off Namco Bandai and avoided adding their huge losses to the statement)

So, you may say that most of Star Trek's income is not included in the half year statement and you would be correct. However Atari have made a statement to investors that
    The company has elected to recognize over the estimated subscription period a material portion of the Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) product revenue, rather than at the time of sale. This revenue recognition decision and other factors have led the company to now expect current operating income to be neutral or slightly negative in the second half of this fiscal year, rather than previously expected at or above breakeven, excluding non-recurring items in both cases.
    and what this means is that they can't count money they have not yet received for STO ( as in future subscriptions ) because that would be misleading to the markets. You can't count money that you may get if people continue to pay as income until it's in your bank.
    It also means that at best Atari hop to break even. At worst they will make another loss.
    But the interesting part of that is that for the next 6 months that WILL include the STO revenue and to say that the whole group will not make up a -€19.9 million operating loss it certainly tells you that STO will not make €20 million this year.

Sorry to disappoint you but Infogrames (Atari.SA) made a net loss of -€226.1 million last year and even when adjusted for 'transition costs' of -€175.9 million they still had a net adjusted loss of -€50.2 million.
    This year, which by the time the accounts are published STO will be 9 months in retail they, by their own words, expect to make a loss means that STO, a PC game and PC games making up only 15% of Atari's income, is making nowhere near your fanciful $350M figure.

And before anyone starts I have not mentioned Cryptic because it's nothing to do with them. They are employees of Atari.SA and the revenues are Atari's and nobody else's. Please don't try and confuse the issue with that.

If it's too long for you to read, please say so and exhibit your education for us all to see.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just to add, the 1 million active accounts was stated in a press release just prior to EU launch.

I've no idea where the 7 million figure came from, but it will be greater than 1 by a reasonable margin.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If it's too long for you to read, please say so and exhibit your education for us all to see.

That was too long for me to care about.

I'm just curious why you're apparently researching the game, the parent company, and discussing profit margins on the data you uncovered, when you decided on launch day that you didn't want to subscribe...

Are you out of work or something?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dryan wrote:
    Just to add, the 1 million active accounts was stated in a press release just prior to EU launch.

I've no idea where the 7 million figure came from, but it will be greater than 1 by a reasonable margin.

No it wont.

That press release stated forum accounts, that in no way shape or form implies anything at all as far as subscribers or retail units sold.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    Darn all I got in the house is 18+ at the moment.

Then load up double shots and bless the Lord for creating yeast.
    Yeast, which oddly enough was known as Godisgood long before brewer even knew what yeast was or how the fermenting process was accomplished.:)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    may i have you're stuff
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    may i have you're stuff

Still not bringing your "A" game to troll the forums?

Maybe you will never learn the art.:(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Still not bringing your "A" game to troll the forums?

Maybe you will never learn the art.:(

no idea what you are rambling about
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    That was too long for me to care about.

I'm just curious why you're apparently researching the game, the parent company, and discussing profit margins on the data you uncovered, when you decided on launch day that you didn't want to subscribe...

Are you out of work or something?

I'm having a discussion about Star Trek online because I'm disappointed to have wasted my cash on it. Is that not allowed?

Am I out of work? Yes. I have been ever since I retired at the age of 40.

seeing as you are 'curious'

I'm just 'curious' as to how this debt-ridden company is going to fare over the next year or two and I'm having a conversation with others who are also interested. Is that OK with you?

As for this post it was simply a reaction to yet another poster pulling numbers out of his TRIBBLE and portraying them as fact.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No it wont.

That press release stated forum accounts, that in no way shape or form implies anything at all as far as subscribers or retail units sold.

Also, it is forum accounts totaled between CO and STO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hunaxor wrote: »
    Yep, just that easy. I can live with some problems, no endgame or anything. But right now we should be playing some new endgame for one week. And surprise, we wont be playing it this week too!!
    My hope/trust is over. Only reason for me to subscribe next month is that 45 day patch (clear money grab). But how I can sub now? They are not able to do what they promise. One week, ok. But next week and still nothing?........
    I will not pay for words.

Cool story, happy trails