What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Patch cancelled, account cancelled

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Programming is complex. Sometimes things get delayed. It's not really their fault. Maybe you should stop being so impatient. If you don't like the game then quit, but if one delay on one patch is the real reason you are quitting then you're ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Roach wrote: »
    Are you leaving as well?
    I was saying Bye to the OP, but a strong drink sounds good. Preferably single malt, 20+ years olds.:)

Darn all I got in the house is 18+ at the moment.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can I have your stuff?

I love how the "you dont wanna tell people to stay cause theyre the ones paying for this game" crowd are absent nowadays
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ghartan wrote:
    And what do you think testing is for?!?!

What do you think happens when something is found in testing ?!?!

Do you think they call the software pixies to come in and make everything better?

Seriously ... what exactly were you thinking happens? :rolleyes:

I like this. They release the WHOLE GAME before its ready but NOW they have standards :rolleyes:
    Shaddock wrote:
    I agree, at this point the long term health of the game is going to be determined just as much by well crafted public relations, as anything else the programmers will do.

omg we're all screwed!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well the video on ign clearly said 2/25/10 which is today and then they come out and say oh wait its not maybe next week clearly that is false advertising which as far as i can remember is a violation of FCC rules or something
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I like this. They release the WHOLE GAME before its ready but NOW they have standards :rolleyes:

Ok i LOL'ED at this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    Wow...you were serious... and right! Who knew! :p

Yeah, well, it happens.

But this is the first time I've been able to talk about that incident. I still can't look a box of "Lucky Charms" in the face without bursting into tears.

"Magically delicious," indeed. :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hunaxor wrote: »
    Yep, just that easy. I can live with some problems, no endgame or anything. But right now we should be playing some new endgame for one week. And surprise, we wont be playing it this week too!!
    My hope/trust is over. Only reason for me to subscribe next month is that 45 day patch (clear money grab). But how I can sub now? They are not able to do what they promise. One week, ok. But next week and still nothing?........
    I will not pay for words.

Your solution is to unsub now, ans come back AFTER the content patch.

Do it, I dare you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hunaxor,

You made the right choice. Cryptic's track-record is not very good (CO and this game's release). The release of the magical 45 day patch is suspiciously between sub renewal dates. I for one will cancel and wait and see if the 45 day patch does as much as Crytpic claims it will.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Haha. SO true! I just said this in another thread.

Great minds....?
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Better late than never!
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Great minds....?

Great minds...look awesome in jars! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    Great minds...look awesome in jars! :D

:eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stelakh wrote: »
    Yeah, well, it happens.

But this is the first time I've been able to talk about that incident. I still can't look a box of "Lucky Charms" in the face without bursting into tears.

"Magically delicious," indeed. :mad:

I get the feeling that My little ponies werent popular in your house either?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lumikumi wrote: »
    http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=101077

CO patch was cancelled also, this could have been due to there network provider doing updates also.

This apparently needs to be reiterated, particularly since it's the reason that was given in the launcher for the delay. Their network provider's maintenance apparently affected their ability to do their own maintenance and deploy the patches that were slated for last night, so they didn't.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This apparently needs to be reiterated, particularly since it's the reason that was given in the launcher for the delay. Their network provider's maintenance apparently affected their ability to do their own maintenance and deploy the patches that were slated for last night, so they didn't.

But other post from devs say that there was a show stopping error that kept it from going today, and yet another saying it didnt go today because it had to be tested. Too lazy to track all 3 down, but the inconsistent message isnt helping.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    :eek::eek::eek:

Its true, do a google image search for brain in a jar!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    But other post from devs say that there was a show stopping error that kept it from going today, and yet another saying it didnt go today because it had to be tested. Too lazy to track all 3 down, but the inconsistent message isnt helping.

Too right. We now have three different explanations. Maybe it's a combination of all three. Who knows?

Unfortunately, when you have one problem and three different people post three different reasons for it at different times, it starts to feel like "spin" and damage control.

-Sigh-
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mithie wrote:
    Oh who cares.

He's a dev, not a goddamn marketing agent. He's not here to make you happy. He's here to produce content and write code.

He's not getting paid to appeal to your sense of entitlement. He's not even getting paid to post on these forums. He's just another guy, who happens to write code, who happens to post on his product forums once in a while.

I'm sorry if this ends up being a double-post. As a software developer myself, this is exactly how I feel. We can't all (and don't all have to) do Phoxe's job ;)

In addition, for all of you that are angry about the postponement: if I am a developer on a project and it is obviously not ready for release on "release day," I would be honestly embarrassed not to protest its release until it felt workable. This one little SNAFU feels like someone's boss finally made the decision to switch to the "new system" of getting user test input before updating the live servers and someone either didn't know or got told too late. Really, is switching to a system that will (somewhat) limit release bugs a bad thing? Remember when the OB ended and suddenly the mid-level Borg fleet action wasn't working...after being fixed for the last week of OB? Or when your Red Matter Capacitors stopped working?

All of that being said, though, I really don't think Gozer was being serious with the comment all of you are face-melting over. Cut him some slack, he's making your game work :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    anesah wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this ends up being a double-post. As a software developer myself, this is exactly how I feel. We can't all (and don't all have to) do Phoxe's job ;)

In addition, for all of you that are angry about the postponement: if I am a developer on a project and it is obviously not ready for release on "release day," I would be honestly embarrassed not to protest its release until it felt workable. This one little SNAFU feels like someone's boss finally made the decision to switch to the "new system" of getting user test input before updating the live servers and someone either didn't know or got told too late. Really, is switching to a system that will (somewhat) limit release bugs a bad thing? Remember when the OB ended and suddenly the mid-level Borg fleet action wasn't working...after being fixed for the last week of OB? Or when your Red Matter Capacitors stopped working?

All of that being said, though, I really don't think Gozer was being serious with the comment all of you are face-melting over. Cut him some slack, he's making your game work :cool:

Then why was the game launched in the state it was if its about putting out quality content? Or is that just only if it fits cryptics agenda? THis whole deal smells like CO all over again.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Then why was the game launched in the state it was if its about putting out quality content? Or is that just only if it fits cryptics agenda?

Is it just me or does 'Cryptic Agenda' sounds like an awesome name for either a punk band, a super hero, or a government conspiracy?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stelakh wrote: »
    Too right. We now have three different explanations. Maybe it's a combination of all three. Who knows?

Unfortunately, when you have one problem and three different people post three different reasons for it at different times, it starts to feel like "spin" and damage control.

-Sigh-

Maybe they bit off more than they could chew with the Star trek IP And for the life of them they cant get out of their own way to get anything done. We see conspiracys and bad vibes from the devs--maybe they are just overwhelmed.....Just a thought
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Then why was the game launched in the state it was if its about putting out quality content? Or is that just only if it fits cryptics agenda? THis whole deal smells like CO all over again.

The answer to this is easy - on the initial box release date, they had Atari and CBS riding them to get a product out now. Now that a visible, tangible, basically functional product is out, Cryptic get to take their time and do things right. Atari/CBS aren't riding them to get X patch out by Y date, like they were with the initial release - the ball was originally in their court, now it's in Cryptic's. Pretty straightforward, honestly.

Also, QA standards have changed because of the above. Now they're concerned about creating quality content, where before they were only concerned about creating a working product.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shaddock wrote:
    Is it just me or does 'Cryptic Agenda' sounds like an awesome name for either a punk band, a super hero, or a government conspiracy?

And the album name would be "Greed"
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Was that in reference to the band or the government! :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010

A good look at the CO forums 1-2 months after launch confirms this :eek:

Hmm they should have put that on the game box then: "forced out earlier due to upper managemeant decisions". Honesty is the best policy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The First song would be "Fanbois are the reason we are slackers" A love song
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    they could try getting it right the first time / faster. you'd think with the state the game is in and absolutely NO end game content right now they would be working on this 24/7 to get some content out.

What is your definition of "end game"?

Have you leveled all 9 Federation combinations to RA 5?

Have you leveled a Klingon character to RA 5? As well as its variations.

Have you researched your way through all of the research tiers?

Once you have done all of that, then maybe you can say you have reached "end game". But you should not expect Cryptic to have content beyond what has already been released in less than a month since launch. They can not account for people that play the game for 6 - 10 hours per day.

I would love to see a poll on the number of hours the average STO player logs in per day, per week and in the first month. Than compare that to a level poll. I would venture a guess that ther RA 5's with multiple toons, are playing far more than the average number of hours per day.

Your play style can not be catered to, sorry, but 6+ hours per day just can't be kept up with.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slackjaw wrote:
    The First song would be "Fanbois are the reason we are slackers" A love song

Oh see now I am tempted to start a thready just for song titles...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hunaxor wrote: »
    Yep, just that easy. I can live with some problems, no endgame or anything. But right now we should be playing some new endgame for one week. And surprise, we wont be playing it this week too!!
    My hope/trust is over. Only reason for me to subscribe next month is that 45 day patch (clear money grab). But how I can sub now? They are not able to do what they promise. One week, ok. But next week and still nothing?........
    I will not pay for words.

Dont let the door hit you on the way out.