test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

List the Bigest Mysteries in Star Trek 2

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Ten Forward
I liked the origional posts, and it got 41 pages, so I thought it would be cool to recreat this post. Just list the different mysteries of the Star Trek universe.

To quote JonathanMax for the first mystery, "Toilets. You never see them on screen." :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    What is Guinan?

She seems to be able to tangle with Q in Q-Who, and even assuming El-Aurians live for 100s of years, she was alive and well...700 years ago!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I asked a buddy and he didn't know but guinan definitely had a way with words

any ST nerds wanna elaborate more I am curious now :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tason wrote:
    What is Guinan?

She seems to be able to tangle with Q in Q-Who, and even assuming El-Aurians live for 100s of years, she was alive and well...700 years ago!

more then just tangle with Q, she seems to have a major grudge against them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Any sane creature would be wary of Q.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And her species, or at least a significant part of them, survived Borg attacks. That shows that her species is powerful.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gold-Eagle wrote: »
    "Toilets. You never see them on screen."
    startrek1bathroom.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Which version is true about the Breen?

Dukat: Cardassia has an ambassador on Breen. Its a very unpopular job because Breen is an ice planet.
    Weyoun: Made a deal with Breen without knowledge of Cardassians - Breen is a normal M class world and not cold at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What do the Breen actually look like
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Guinan most certainly did NOT 'tangle with Q'. She showed an immediate hostile dislike of him, and the extent of the theory is the wishful thinking of her raising her hands like she had any ability at all to defend herself against him. Which is nonsense and clearly just a reaction, since she's El-Aurian like Dr Soran and her whole species was assimilated by the Borg. By the same note you might as well go thinking that Sisko punching him in the face was more than just a defiant gesture for all the effect it would truly have in stopping Q.

A hell of a lot of people and entire species hate Q in the same 'some dealings' way Guinan does. And her species survived the Borg attacks by....well....getting on transports and legging it. Far from powerful.

Guinan isn't too much of a mystery once you really look at her, she's just a member of a very long lived species. The Q themselves are a far greater mystery, since despite learning about some of the things they were up to during Voyager, we nonetheless know absolutely diddly squat about where they come from or what motivations they ever have.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What gender is Data's cat? In some episodes Spot is a boy, then in a later episode Spot is pregnent. :confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Where's Sulu?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Where's Sulu?

oh stfu ahah
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    List the Bigest Mysteries in Star Trek 2

Did Spock really die?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Was V'ger sent by the Borg or not?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why is Khan's minute in TWoK longer than 2 min.?

And once again:
    Did Enterprise-B ever get its Tuesday shipment of supplies, torpedoes, and crew?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ezri Dax is a lie. Turns out that Jadzia never dies but rather just spent the 7th season eating a sandwich at quarks bar.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Firebreath wrote: »

This gave me a thought.

How did we even get a Voyager 6 when only Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 were the only ones launched?

Which then brings us to:
    Did whoever that sent V'Ger look through Earth's forgotten TV/Theater media and find the fictional Voyager 6, built a full-scale replica, and then send it to Earth?

Which then brings us to:
    Why did the Federation even have the code for Voyager 6 to begin with?

My head hurts now...... I could go on, but I think ya'll catch my drift.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They showed the sink, the bathtub (insurrection), the shower (naked now), and they even talk about waste extraction (DS9) but no toliet?

Oh, and why the heck does Picard go to see Mott?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    darkAthena wrote: »
    They showed the sink, the bathtub (insurrection), the shower (naked now), and they even talk about waste extraction (DS9) but no toliet?

Oh, and why the heck does Picard go to see Mott?

Mot is so awesome is why. Mot The Barber is like the James Bond of the Trek universe.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why did the show "Enterprise" become a version of "Quantum Leap"?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why do they need hologram workers to look like humanoids?
    Since they are pretty much just light and forcefield why can't they skip out on the light and just use the force fields?
    Invisible hands so to speak.
    Would most likely save a ton of energy on removing the actual holographic emitters.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    because paying small time actors is easier and cheaper than doing choreographed CGI.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This gave me a thought.

How did we even get a Voyager 6 when only Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 were the only ones launched?

Which then brings us to:
    Did whoever that sent V'Ger look through Earth's forgotten TV/Theater media and find the fictional Voyager 6, built a full-scale replica, and then send it to Earth?

Which then brings us to:
    Why did the Federation even have the code for Voyager 6 to begin with?

My head hurts now...... I could go on, but I think ya'll catch my drift.

because they probably figured at the time that more voyager craft would be sent out at some point, they didn't know that voyager I and II would be the last
    remember that at the time that star trek the motion picture was being produced both voyager craft were still out there completing their missions
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    rwl1919 wrote: »
    Did Spock really die?

Which time? There have been a few situations where Spock has "died". They try to kill him off in the Wrath of Khan, but now the prime universe thinks that Spock is dead because of the 11th Star Trek movie.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Firebreath wrote: »

I read a Trek book, written by William Shatner, "The Return" if memory serves, where at the end, you discover that
    the Borg were created when Decker merged with V-Ger.

Now that I think about it, that doesn't actually make any sense. Wasn't Guinan's planet attacked by the borg centuries ago? Unless, of course, when Decker and V-Ger merged, they ended up going back in time...:confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DaddyHawk wrote:
    I read a Trek book, written by William Shatner, "The Return" if memory serves, where at the end, you discover that
    the Borg were created when Decker merged with V-Ger.

Now that I think about it, that doesn't actually make any sense. Wasn't Guinan's planet attacked by the borg centuries ago? Unless, of course, when Decker and V-Ger merged, they ended up going back in time...:confused:

Yes, Guinans people were scattered from their homeworld by a Borg attack at some point during or before 2263. Which is trumped by First Contact, where the time displaced Borg were expecting a response to a message sent in 2063. Obviously the Borg know more about their own history than anyone else, so they must have existed much as they do now at least as far back as then.

Enterprise "Regeneration" backs this up, where they succeeded in getting a message to their kin in the Delta Quadrant before being destroyed. Which means, as it turns out, Q is not the complete scumbag he first appears to be. The Borg Cube he sent the Enterprise-D to meet for the first time was already on its way, and what appears at first to have been a sadistic act on the part of Q, turns out to be him helping us by letting us know what was coming.

That's things I know for sure, I think the survivors of some ancient empire in the delta quadrant Voyager revived were surprised to hear the Borg were so large and powerful, since they comprised only a few systems back in their day, which was the 15th century or something.

EDIT: I'm not some Trek-God, I just like ferreting out details on Memory Alpha.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gold-Eagle wrote: »
    Which time? There have been a few situations where Spock has "died". They try to kill him off in the Wrath of Khan, but now the prime universe thinks that Spock is dead because of the 11th Star Trek movie.

At the very least, Prime Spock is missing in his own timeline. And now there's two Spocks in this new timeline. Will there be another movie? Will Prime Spock go back? Is he stuck in that timeline?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nikoletta wrote:
    because they probably figured at the time that more voyager craft would be sent out at some point, they didn't know that voyager I and II would be the last
    remember that at the time that star trek the motion picture was being produced both voyager craft were still out there completing their missions

I follow what you're saying, but it's fun and interesting to look at ways to explain events in fictional future time lines when our own history denies the fictional explanation.

Anyway.....
    What ever happened to Enterprise-A?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What happened to Worf's geeky little son?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Khorak wrote: »
    Guinan most certainly did NOT 'tangle with Q'. She showed an immediate hostile dislike of him, and the extent of the theory is the wishful thinking of her raising her hands like she had any ability at all to defend herself against him. Which is nonsense and clearly just a reaction, since she's El-Aurian like Dr Soran and her whole species was assimilated by the Borg. By the same note you might as well go thinking that Sisko punching him in the face was more than just a defiant gesture for all the effect it would truly have in stopping Q.

A hell of a lot of people and entire species hate Q in the same 'some dealings' way Guinan does. And her species survived the Borg attacks by....well....getting on transports and legging it. Far from powerful.

Guinan isn't too much of a mystery once you really look at her, she's just a member of a very long lived species. The Q themselves are a far greater mystery, since despite learning about some of the things they were up to during Voyager, we nonetheless know absolutely diddly squat about where they come from or what motivations they ever have.

concerning Guinan, when she and Q meet in Ten foreward, she does raise her hands in a way that seems like she might be able to do something. Q likewise reacts as though she might be able to do something, hence the issue. Also, you will recall in later episodes Guinan proves resistant to the effects of reality alteration. all lead to the perception she isn't just a normal humanoid.

See this post for my "answer" to this ... a whole thread on the "Q conspiracy"
    Khorak wrote: »
    Yes, Guinans people were scattered from their homeworld by a Borg attack at some point during or before 2263. Which is trumped by First Contact, where the time displaced Borg were expecting a response to a message sent in 2063. Obviously the Borg know more about their own history than anyone else, so they must have existed much as they do now at least as far back as then.

Enterprise "Regeneration" backs this up, where they succeeded in getting a message to their kin in the Delta Quadrant before being destroyed. Which means, as it turns out, Q is not the complete scumbag he first appears to be. The Borg Cube he sent the Enterprise-D to meet for the first time was already on its way, and what appears at first to have been a sadistic act on the part of Q, turns out to be him helping us by letting us know what was coming.

That's things I know for sure, I think the survivors of some ancient empire in the delta quadrant Voyager revived were surprised to hear the Borg were so large and powerful, since they comprised only a few systems back in their day, which was the 15th century or something.

EDIT: I'm not some Trek-God, I just like ferreting out details on Memory Alpha.

Q has always seemed to do what he does for two reasons, amusement and to "help" humanity (see my link from above)

Likewise in the episode where Q "sends" the enterprise to meet the borg i am certain two things are stated 1) It is stated that it is the first time Starfleet encounters the Borg. and 2) it is stated that the borg were already on their way to the alpha quadrant. I do not believe it was stated why they where headed that way or that they were headed for earth specificly, but it was headed that direction. and this is of course well before first contact.