Install Arc
Options

List the Bigest Mysteries in Star Trek 2

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Cimitiere wrote: »
    ST:TVH was mentioned, I talked in passing about them going to the eighties. I dismissed it as the split because we know that they planted the Terran flag on the moon in the 60s.

Gillian is the real reason we have a Temporal Prime Directive.

I'd have to research this, but Scotty's "Aluminium Plastic" is not that far-fetched during that time; the writers could have been "sneaky", saw/read about the new technology, and put it in their movie and attributed it to Scotty. (I know of one or two examples of this happening in other movie franchises). Of course, it also fits with. "Scotty gave it to them!" way of thinking, too.
    Cimitiere wrote: »
    The holodeck on ENT was on an alien ship and it was mentioned that it would be great to have them on board SF ships. It can easily be assumed that it took the next couple of hundred years to design or reverse engineer teh tech to work with our own in a seamless manner.

Yeah, but the same episode had some Klingons on it and they were ready to fight the Enterprise, but Archer "diplomacized" the fight away by giving/rewarding Holodeck Technology to the Klingons. So, the obvious viewer conclusion is, Starfleet did not get it.

Granted, a new wrinkle could be added that fits into your view: Archer and Trip (and all) took notes, pics, etc. Then they had to figure it out from that (plus any future "spoils of war" conquest if they actually caught a klingon Holodeck at sometime in the future). Yes, I know the Klingons would have liked the tech for the same reasons as the Jem'Hadar on Voyager, but it does not strike me as very "Klingon" to have it. My personal view of the Star Trek world is more comfortable with Starfleet inventing the tech (or some other friendly SF race/Federation member) as per TAS, TNG, and all the rest. I am more than willing to accept it existed in TOS times, if in limited fashion (was not in Starships, only planetary bases or space stations).

Again, the "rush" to fill in all the classic/identifiable tech in ENT turns me off, not just with Holodeck tech, but all things.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One question I have is how did the Enterprise beam Geordi and Scotty off of their ship in Relics? Both the Enterprise and the other ship have their shields up!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am going to "steal" these links, because they seem to fit in nicely with all this timeline discussions:

Picard vs. Abrhams

Star trek X1 repercussions
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wow, well over 100 replies, so at the risk this may have been mentioned...

...The biggest mystery to me is why there are still bald people in the 24th Century?! Come on people - a cure for just about everything except baldness? Seriously??? ;p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I follow what you're saying, but it's fun and interesting to look at ways to explain events in fictional future time lines when our own history denies the fictional explanation.

Anyway.....
    What ever happened to Enterprise-A?

Destroyed. In the Shatnerverse books, it was destroyed defending the planet Chal in the book Ashes of Eden.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    one of the biggest mysteries is how the supernova that destroyed Romulus and Remus was a threat to the entire galaxy. Supernova are big events but small on a galactic scale.

That answer is actually in STO. Play on and enjoy, Cryptic did well on that one.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Where did the Whale Probe originate?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    nyg316 wrote: »
    Wow, well over 100 replies, so at the risk this may have been mentioned...

...The biggest mystery to me is why there are still bald people in the 24th Century?! Come on people - a cure for just about everything except baldness? Seriously??? ;p

I saw an interview with Patrick Stuwart where they talked about this. He said that by the 24th century they don't view baldness negativly anymore or something to that effect.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, but the same episode had some Klingons on it and they were ready to fight the Enterprise, but Archer "diplomacized" the fight away by giving/rewarding Holodeck Technology to the Klingons. So, the obvious viewer conclusion is, Starfleet did not get it.

Granted, a new wrinkle could be added that fits into your view: Archer and Trip (and all) took notes, pics, etc. Then they had to figure it out from that (plus any future "spoils of war" conquest if they actually caught a klingon Holodeck at sometime in the future). Yes, I know the Klingons would have liked the tech for the same reasons as the Jem'Hadar on Voyager, but it does not strike me as very "Klingon" to have it. My personal view of the Star Trek world is more comfortable with Starfleet inventing the tech (or some other friendly SF race/Federation member) as per TAS, TNG, and all the rest. I am more than willing to accept it existed in TOS times, if in limited fashion (was not in Starships, only planetary bases or space stations).

Again, the "rush" to fill in all the classic/identifiable tech in ENT turns me off, not just with Holodeck tech, but all things.
    [/QUOTE]

Just because Archer Diplomacized with the Klingons doesn't mean that they didn't keep the data themselves, just taht they shared it.

I do agree that they were in a big hurry to plant flags for stuff they didn't need to tho.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why is this thread getting buried in a hurry?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have a list of 5 things that I has had questions about:

1) How did the Klingons manage to design a ship let alone build one? The seem more prone to smashing TRIBBLE to hell rathere than buidling anything.

2) If they all warriors, who actually builds there stuff?

3) If Klingons are so brave, why do they hide behind cloaking devices?

4) Who came first, the Romulan or the Vulcan...let me rephrase this better, were the ppl living on vulcan more passionate (romulan) or logical (vulcan)

5) if Romulans and Vulcans are nearly genetically identical, then why can Romulans mate when ever they want and Vulcans every 7 years?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Did picard have space ship insurance when he crashed the enterprise E?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DES_SNIPER wrote: »

1) How did the Klingons manage to design a ship let alone build one? The seem more prone to smashing TRIBBLE to hell rathere than buidling anything.

4) Who came first, the Romulan or the Vulcan...let me rephrase this better, were the ppl living on vulcan more passionate (romulan) or logical (vulcan)

5) if Romulans and Vulcans are nearly genetically identical, then why can Romulans mate when ever they want and Vulcans every 7 years?

1. The Celts of continental Europe were far more bloodthirsty than even the most aggressive Klingon, yet they managed to forge a flourishing culture that lasted almost a thousand years in one form or another before they fell to the superior military tactics of the Romans. Thus, Klingons have it easy.

2. See above. Also, at some point, Klingon culture decided that being a warrior was most prestigious (again, much like the Celts). However, there are scientists and engineers (and obviously poets) somewhere on Qo'nos, otherwise they wouldn't have their songs. Besides, it is said that necessity is the mother of invention, and what is more necessary in a warrior culture than killing your foe while not dying yourself?

3. They acquired cloaking devices as part of the technological exchange with the Romulans in TOS. Sometime between TOS and TMP, however, that trade agreement fell apart. In any event, it was originally the Romulans who were the honorable foe (see the TOS episode Balance of Terror) and the Klingons who were the scheming conniving foe. Also, keep in mind that the first time we see a cloaking device on a Klingon ship is Kruge's renegade bird of prey in Search for Spock. The villains in that movie were supposed to be Romulans, but for some reason I cannot remember, was changed to Klingons (pre-existing makeup or costumes or something to that effect). Plus, Christopher Lloyd would have made a bad Romulan, imo.

4. Vulcans came first, and they were a violent, passionate people. When Surak wrote his teachings, those who wanted to stick to the old ways left Vulcan forever, later becoming the Romulan people.

5. First, Vulcans also can mate whenever they want. Logically, however, it makes sense (to them, at least)
    to only mate during their "heat" cycle (not quite what pon farr is, but you get my drift). Second (without getting too technical), those under the raptor's wing (read: Romulans) left Vulcan at least a few millenia ago. There is evidence of genetically distinct variation in humans arising that fast, or even faster (almost 100% of people from Europe west of Russia are lactose tolerant, and that gene has only been around for about 6,000 years). Therefore, it is not without reason to conclude that a mutation in a single nucleotide could disable the pon farr incurring gene in Romulans. Conversely, it might have arisen as a by-product of the new, logical culture of Vulcans (there is evidence for agriculture causing genetic swings in humans; logically, logic could do the same on Vulcan), and Romulans are in fact the ancestral characteristic. Sex is, after all, passionate.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    why is cannar pink at the beginning but black at the end of ds9

where did the eugenics wars go?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DES_SNIPER wrote: »

Ok Odd. . .I answered this last night and it didn't post. Here goes again.

1. The Klingons, while a warrior race, do have other social roles. They are mentioned a few times in later series (LATE DS9 as I recall). Among them are scientists. We also know that at least one Klingon runs a restaurant on DS9.

2. It can easily be assumed that the builders are other Klingons, who for whatever reason, aren't warriros. One can also assume that other races within the Empire's boarders are. . .recruited to this task.

3. They do not hide behind cloaking devices. They use the advantages that they have been given or that they have later acquired to become more effective predators. One of those advantages is the cloaking device.

4. Neither. The original race which I'll call V1 for this discussion, was born on Vulcan but shared both the passion of the Romulans and the genetic disposition for Pon Farr (ENT). When Surak brought his teachings to Vulcan, some chose to not accept them and left. They became Romulans. Those that remained on the planet eventually became the Vulcans we know and love. However if ENT is to be believed, the final itteration of change didn't occur until approx 200 years ago (in game time).

5. Vulcans can mate at any time. However they recognize that to allow oneself to be influenced unduely by a physical urge to procreate is illogical. The reasons for this are likely many but I would suppose that population control and another level of emotional control. Given the passion of the Vulcan people (even after they accept the teachings of Surak) it can be assumed that certain types of crimes might be more prevalent in their society. Murder, TRIBBLE, and other violent crimes being high on the list. By learning to hide away the urge for a seven year period they make these crimes less likely to occur. When one adds in teh formality of things like prearranged marriages, it's also likely that they know who is near Pon Farr at any given time and should something untoward happen, they would begin looking at those individuals first.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    why is cannar pink at the beginning but black at the end of ds9

where did the eugenics wars go?

Cannar can be any number of colors. I tend to look at it as coming from different manufacturers. Much like on earth we have

Budwiser, Bush, Yeungling, Harp, Guiness etc as differnt types of beer or Scotch, Irish or American whiskeys.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Talvisota wrote:

3. They acquired cloaking devices as part of the technological exchange with the Romulans in TOS. .

And this happend becuase they "lost" the Romulan Warbird in the prop house and had to use a Klingon Cuiser instead. It was cheaper to change dialog than make a new prop, that's how tight a budget TOS was on. So, we now have canon and story lines all based around a lost prop. Real life can be down right funny.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    in star trek 5 the final frontier, while in the brig kirk sits on a toilet (as a chair not to use). the sign behind him even says something like "do not flush while in space dock"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What happens to the symboint if a Trill is assimilated by the Borg? Would a joint Trill be able to be assimilated because it would remeber life out side of the Collective?

Just so you know, I'm not going to be here for 40 days. I decided to give up Star Trek for Lent. Live long and prosper! See you on Easter!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Where did the Whale Probe originate?

this is my favorite threat in TenFoward.

Also yeah, where the hell are those crazy whale aliens?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What happened to Trelane?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TheDervish wrote:

I suppose if one want's to try to relate story lines to each other. Maybe he was a baby Q and wound up back in the continuum?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TheDervish wrote:

And was Trelane really a member of The Q Continuum?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How do Starfleet officers get their uniforms on. The zipper is in the back for heaven's sake. In the back!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thats why the first contact-onwards uniforms are the best!

Front zips finally!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Some more mysteries:

What was the fate of the Maquis?

What became of Seven of Nine?

Did Harry Kim ever receive a promotion?

What was Worf doing during the events that lead up to Star Trek XI, as described by Spock Prime?

What was the Prime Universe doing during Star Trek XI? And not the story Cryptic made up. And not the Countdown Comic mini series either.

Did Picard ever receive a promotion?

Did the Vulcans and Romulans finish the reunion that Spock Prime started so many years ago? Again, Cryptic's made up story is not considered canon.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What became of Seven of Nine?
    she's in one of the "Path to 2409" things.
    She joined the borg task force, then left it...or something to that effect i didn't read the whole thing just skimmed over it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    malkvn wrote: »
    She joined the borg task force, then left it...or something to that effect i didn't read the whole thing just skimmed over it.

I do not accept Cryptic's version of events since they are not considered canon.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    malkvn wrote: »

She opened a resturant in LA and when Shatner showed up, she realized the whole Kirk is dead story was a hoax, and so disillusioned she left Star Fleet or was that a combination of Jeri Ryan's real life and a guest appearance on Boston Legal?

Nevermind.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Were there 12 or 13 Constitutions at first?

Kirk's quote of there being only 12 others like here in fleet leads me to believe there are 13 total, but I've seen others say there were 12.