test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

List the Bigest Mysteries in Star Trek 2

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Were there 12 or 13 Constitutions at first?

Kirk's quote of there being only 12 others like here in fleet leads me to believe there are 13 total, but I've seen others say there were 12.

I think Kirk was counting the Enterprose when he mentioned it.
    edited February 2010
    What was the fate of the Maquis?

No mystery there, a Voyager episode dealt with it after they managed to find a way to contact Starfleet. The Maquis were immediately destroyed by the Dominion when the Cardassians joined them, before the war started.
    Did the Vulcans and Romulans finish the reunion that Spock Prime started so many years ago? Again, Cryptic's made up story is not considered canon.

No actual information, but what with the destruction of Romulus and presumable and irreversible collapse of Romulan power as a result, they would probably end up joining the Federation just like the Klingons eventually will, as shown in an Enterprise episode (which featured the future Enterprise-J). Which would kind of make a reunion necessary.

If nothing else, there must have at least been a lot of Romulans after that catastrophe who were willing to reunite with Vulcan, simply because they would have had nowhere else to go.
    edited February 2010
    Gold-Eagle wrote: »
    What happens to the symboint if a Trill is assimilated by the Borg? Would a joint Trill be able to be assimilated because it would remeber life out side of the Collective?

Just so you know, I'm not going to be here for 40 days. I decided to give up Star Trek for Lent. Live long and prosper! See you on Easter!

I believe the symbiont would simply be discarded.
    I do not accept Cryptic's version of events since they are not considered canon.

Actually, since they are borrowing the rights to Star Trek from CBS... Im pretty sure STO is canon.
    edited February 2010
    Talvisota wrote:
    I believe the symbiont would simply be discarded.

Actually, since they are borrowing the rights to Star Trek from CBS... Im pretty sure STO is canon.

Why would it be discarded? It has information and experience based on multiple lives. It's more likely that the collective would assimilate it also. . .if it weren't already assimilated when the nanites infected the host being.

And I don't think that STO is canon. It's simply licensed material.
    edited February 2010
    Were there 12 or 13 Constitutions at first?

Kirk's quote of there being only 12 others like here in fleet leads me to believe there are 13 total, but I've seen others say there were 12.

from looking at the Constitution class vessels, both TOS and refit, there were many more than 13...more like hundreds lol
    edited February 2010
    As to Mirror Universe stuff who is to say its existence was caused by time travelers from the "prime" timeline. There is _so_ much time travel going on in Star Trek isn't it safe to assume there is an equal amount of time travel/universe hopping in alternate realities/timelines that one of these could have created the mirror universe. Plus in TNG: Parallels we see that there are many different alternate universes that have variations not caused by some incursions to that realities timeline why couldn't the mirror universe have come into existence on its own?

All this and the Mirror Universe's complete oppositeness and the existence of many of the same people existing despite the oppositeness makes me think its existence can only be attributed to Magic/God/Q/Whatever you want to call it.

With all the discussion of time travel/alternate timelines no discussion has been brought up of the Temporal Cold War has been brought up. Every time there is time travel do the people come back to the same timeline (as we assume) or do they come back to an alternate universe. If this is the case there are about a bazillion alternate timelines going on in Star Trek, including most of ST:ENT. (The only episode of ENT we can be sure happens in the same timeline as TNG was the finale since it was on the Holodeck of TNG:Pegasus and they had different uniforms in that one. ENT starts because of people mucking up the timeline because of the Cold War).

The biggest mystery of Trek to me is why is there so much magic, telepathy, psychokinesis, etc.?
    edited February 2010
    As to Mirror Universe stuff who is to say its existence was caused by time travelers from the "prime" timeline. There is _so_ much time travel going on in Star Trek isn't it safe to assume there is an equal amount of time travel/universe hopping in alternate realities/timelines that one of these could have created the mirror universe. Plus in TNG: Parallels we see that there are many different alternate universes that have variations not caused by some incursions to that realities timeline why couldn't the mirror universe have come into existence on its own?

All this and the Mirror Universe's complete oppositeness and the existence of many of the same people existing despite the oppositeness makes me think its existence can only be attributed to Magic/God/Q/Whatever you want to call it.

The idea behind a multiple or parallel universe comes from the theory that there is such a thing as a multiverse, or that there are infinite possibilties (quantum theory I believe). Time travel in star trek seems to be a seperate thing.
    Who is to say our reality is the only reality of importance or existence.
    Coming across a certain mirror universe (one of many universe, I remember an episode that many versions of the Enterprise popped in), was only due to a malfunction or disturbance in a transporter?

And I have another "mystery": now I know they thought up the transporter as a quick resort at the very beginning of TOS, because the set for the shuttle wasn't ready, and therefore it became a great invention for the rest of star trek's legacy.
    But in theory it would cost so much memory to store a persons matrix into a buffer, that even with 25th century tech, I don't think we can actually accomplish dis-assembling a human, atom by atom, and assembling him/her again atom by atom. Wasn't there some sort of pseudo-science device that covered that, or is it still a big mystery how they store all that data?
    edited February 2010
    And was Trelane really a member of The Q Continuum?
    Some more mysteries:

What was the fate of the Maquis?

What became of Seven of Nine?

Did Harry Kim ever receive a promotion?

What was Worf doing during the events that lead up to Star Trek XI, as described by Spock Prime?

What was the Prime Universe doing during Star Trek XI? And not the story Cryptic made up. And not the Countdown Comic mini series either.

Did Picard ever receive a promotion?

Did the Vulcans and Romulans finish the reunion that Spock Prime started so many years ago? Again, Cryptic's made up story is not considered canon.

See, most of these are answered in books and even though you may consider it "non-canon" (and, I admit, me too) there are some things that do influence canon.

I didn't particularly like "Countdown" but much of it I can see as canon.

Until another Star Trek based TV show/movie comes out to muck it all up again (ie: "Enterprise"). :p
    edited February 2010
    Gold-Rush wrote: »
    Correct!

Totally agree! Gold Star from me! :)

Most try to simplify an answer to something that is more complex than first glance.

I mean, what ARE the Klingons like in this universe? Or the Romulans? Do they wear pink and trade in "Hello Kitty" merchandise?

What about the Ferenghi? Are the the ultimate in "Billionaire phillanthropics" of the Mirror Universe? Spoiled rich kids? Slaves to fashion?

Too many variables covering too many other species that do not center around humanity.

But, that is sorta a "Trek curse" in my view. The "Enterprise" from TOS (and TNG) always was number one. It ALWAYS did everything. We barely heard of other Starfleet ships doing anything. One wonders if they all parked themselves at the Donut-making planet and ate their fill while waiting for the "Enterprise" to make the newest discovery. (Of course, I am exxagerating, but not by much).

This kinda view tends to cover "humanity" as well. There is nothing wrong about writers making humans feel good about their..."manifest destiny" in the universe, but it IS good to be humble. There ARE other races out there that ARE doing their thing and may be as important as humans. To be fair (and equals in race and other things) these stories should be made. IMO, it encourages acceptance of not only your fellow man, but in the future, when we really DO meet aliens. Maybe I am a bit "non-conformance" to what the average Sci-Fi fan feels, but I think SHARING discoveries and stories about a multitude of races is more interesting (and makes me feel I can identify with it) than some of the Trek stories of every episode of, "Well, we discovered an important new race that no other ship has."

I am pretty sure I lost some of you readers and others may not understand my thought process, but I hope some of you do. :)

I agree with you there. Most Sci-Fi tends to make humainty out as the Best Thing Since Sliced Bread, or as the most horrid evil in the universe (just see any Outer Limits Episode). However Babylon 5 did a great job of, while keeeping humans important, we weren't the big dogs in the galaxy, in fact with the "younger Races" I think we might have pulled up in 3rd place behind the Minbari and Centauri.
    edited February 2010
    Gold-Rush wrote: »
    I didn't particularly like "Countdown" but much of it I can see as canon.

It explains a lot of things which are canon insofar as Abrams had planned these things but they were never stated in the film. Such as why Nero and his men had those tattoos and what the Narada actually was.

It's a little bit unreasonable to simply hurl out these preplanned and intentional details simply because they weren't all explicitly described in the movie even though the plot and events were written on the basis of these details.

So until an on-screen source wants to contradict it directly the Narada IS a former mining vessel that was upgraded with Borg tech that added all the spiky doom to it as it 'grew'.
    edited February 2010
    I do not accept Cryptic's version of events since they are not considered canon.

If that's going to be your stance, be prepared to accept "they all lived happily ever after" or "No relevatnt information returned" to half your questions. Because, seriously the answer is "nothing". The stories you're asking about are over, and any answer provided would be simple specualtion which is far less canon that anything else available.
    edited February 2010
    The Millennium Falcon was in ST? :confused:

I remeber a ship that kind of looked like the Millennium Falcon in the First Congact, but I think that was the second Defiant.

Industrial Light & Magic visual effects supervisor John Knoll inserted a small digital model of the Star Wars Millennium Falcon into the battle, which can be seen fleetingly flying near the Borg cube.

It's on screen with an Akira....Blurry...but unmistakeably the Falcon
    edited February 2010
    Grraver wrote:
    The idea behind a multiple or parallel universe comes from the theory that there is such a thing as a multiverse, or that there are infinite possibilties (quantum theory I believe). Time travel in star trek seems to be a seperate thing.
    Who is to say our reality is the only reality of importance or existence.
    Coming across a certain mirror universe (one of many universe, I remember an episode that many versions of the Enterprise popped in), was only due to a malfunction or disturbance in a transporter?

This is kind of what I was trying to get at. Time travel isn't consistent across its different occurrences in Trek. Most of the time its like how Back to the Future works (not how it described itself), but in the new movie it follows Quantum Mechanics multiverse type thing.
    Grraver wrote:
    And I have another "mystery": now I know they thought up the transporter as a quick resort at the very beginning of TOS, because the set for the shuttle wasn't ready, and therefore it became a great invention for the rest of star trek's legacy.
    But in theory it would cost so much memory to store a persons matrix into a buffer, that even with 25th century tech, I don't think we can actually accomplish dis-assembling a human, atom by atom, and assembling him/her again atom by atom. Wasn't there some sort of pseudo-science device that covered that, or is it still a big mystery how they store all that data?

Storage is cheap, I can get a terabyte drive for around $100, who knows what they'll have 100 years from now :) Moore's law.
    edited February 2010
    Storage is cheap, I can get a terabyte drive for around $100, who knows what they'll have 100 years from now :) Moore's law.

Im familiar with that law... but storing so many patterns, and atoms, and being able to compensate for the shifts in molecular shifts, require a very large number, it may not even be possible to use our binary systems for such a task. I am a n00b when it comes to science offcourse, but i do have some idea :eek:

Offcours I also know that science fiction sometimes needs to stay science fiction to be more easily used to complete our imagination :o
    edited February 2010
    Grraver wrote:
    Im familiar with that law... but storing so many patterns, and atoms, and being able to compensate for the shifts in molecular shifts, require a very large number, it may not even be possible to use our binary systems for such a task. I am a n00b when it comes to science offcourse, but i do have some idea :eek:

Offcours I also know that science fiction sometimes needs to stay science fiction to be more easily used to complete our imagination :o

The device you were thinking of is the Heisenberg compensator, which is in fact not named because Heisenberg invented it. Instead, he come up with the law that the more you know about a subatomic particle's velocity, the less you know about its position and vice versa. Obviously, such a law anally violates the concept of a transporter that doesn't kill people with all the subatomic errors that would be incurred, so the compensator is supposed to... well, compensate for it, in true treknobabble fashion.

As for storing data. That is not that hard. Yes, there's theoretically a lot of info, but keep in mind we're storing already in places the entire human genome, all 100,000 odd protein structures, lipids, etc. sure, you need to do that a trillion odd times for a given person... but in 400 years, that will be peanuts, considering each starship's computer core contains the entire archive of the history of the Federation, and gods only know what else.
    edited February 2010
    Talvisota wrote:
    The device you were thinking of is the Heisenberg compensator, which is in fact not named because Heisenberg invented it. Instead, he come up with the law that the more you know about a subatomic particle's velocity, the less you know about its position and vice versa. Obviously, such a law anally violates the concept of a transporter that doesn't kill people with all the subatomic errors that would be incurred, so the compensator is supposed to... well, compensate for it, in true treknobabble fashion.

As for storing data. That is not that hard. Yes, there's theoretically a lot of info, but keep in mind we're storing already in places the entire human genome, all 100,000 odd protein structures, lipids, etc. sure, you need to do that a trillion odd times for a given person... but in 400 years, that will be peanuts, considering each starship's computer core contains the entire archive of the history of the Federation, and gods only know what else.

Thanks for that! The Heisenberg compensator, that's it! :) As for the data, I do hope the human race is around for another 400 years while we beam up. After what you said I am also less pessimistic.
    edited March 2010
    MarzGurl wrote: »
    City on the Edge of Forever is one of those time-loop things that always proves to me that media revolving around time just doesn't work. Think about it. What's-her-face that they had to figure out whether she's supposed to live or die... she wouldn't have died if she hadn't have tried to cross the street to get back to Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. But that's what was SUPPOSED to happen in order for our timeline to remain unchanged. Which means that they were SUPPOSED to go back in time. To make sure she died. Because they were back in time. Which is what they were supposed to do.

Do you see? It's a damned broken time loop! Somewhere in this little blip in time, Kirk and gang will keep going back in time to stop Bones from breaking time, which will actually be what causes time to be the way it is!

IT'S DUMB!

...and this is why Time Travel should be left to the Time Lords :p
    edited March 2010
    Tason wrote:
    What is Guinan?

She seems to be able to tangle with Q in Q-Who, and even assuming El-Aurians live for 100s of years, she was alive and well...700 years ago!

you forget she's in the Nexus, so she can come and go anywhere and any time she wants. frankly, i wish she had stayed there, cuz then Enterprise-C never would have been at NarendraIII and the Klingon Empire would have finally brought the federation to it collective knees
    edited March 2010
    Did Weyoun and Brunt from Deep Space 9 ever meet one another? :)
    edited March 2010

Didn't Voyager go back in time and discover that someone discovered some fucher technology and that their whole timeline was messed up? I wonder if this is what actually happened.

Not Voyager...but Voyager probes...as in V'Ger...and Nomad and all the rest.

Voyager did go back in time, but I think they managed to contain the more damning technological corruption in that episode. It was more like an episode of Time Trax.
    edited March 2010
    one of the biggest mysteries is how the supernova that destroyed Romulus and Remus was a threat to the entire galaxy. Supernova are big events but small on a galactic scale.

That is answered in STO actually, so keep playing!
    edited March 2010
    Mystery: Why do some fans think V'Ger created the Borg when in First Contact the Borg time travel to the past (well before Decker and V'Ger) and attempt to contact the Borg of that era? Surely the Queen would know whether or not their own kind existed in that time frame. Same mystery for the episode of Enterprise that involved The Borg, they were aware that they were in the past yet still attempted, somewhat unsuccessfully, to contact the collective.

Mystery #2: How did Janeway ever make the rank of Captain when it's quite apparent her ideals and morals take high precedence over the well being and betterment of her crew? I mean seriously she gets multiple chances to take shortcuts home to the Alpha quadrant, some of which have little to no negative impact, and she keeps refusing because it just wouldn't be "right" even though she doesn't consider the additional risk she's putting her crew at by turning down said shortcuts. I mean even in the last episode of Voyager present-day Janeway just about has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Borg transwarp hub, and her final decision ends up doing zero good outside of simply getting Voyager home.
    edited March 2010
    Here's a mystery, why or how in the name of Einstein do they use PLASMA as a coolant?? :eek:
    edited March 2010
    What bugs me is "How old is Picard in TNG?"
    The dates given make me wonder.....
    edited March 2010
    Why was Picard (a French man) clearly English in accent? hehehe
    edited March 2010
    What bugs me is "How old is Picard in TNG?"
    The dates given make me wonder.....

The series covers a long period of time. In the first episode he was 59, in Nemesis he was 74.
    edited March 2010
    What became of Lal's body after she was deactivated? Was she disassembled? If so, what became of those parts?
    edited March 2010
    What became of Lal's body after she was deactivated? Was she disassembled? If so, what became of those parts?

Tossed in the replicator for 456 Energy Credits. :D

Sorry, I had to.
    edited March 2010
    JT26thES wrote:

Sorry, I had to.

ROFL! That is probably what indeed happened.:D
    edited March 2010
    JT26thES wrote:

Sorry, I had to.

ACK! that's mean! Here's one...how in the world did the TOS crew survive on colored jelly candies?