Options

List the Bigest Mysteries in Star Trek 2

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    ArievDhien wrote:
    Which version is true about the Breen?

Dukat: Cardassia has an ambassador on Breen. Its a very unpopular job because Breen is an ice planet.
    Weyoun: Made a deal with Breen without knowledge of Cardassians - Breen is a normal M class world and not cold at all.

I want to answer this, even though its WAY old, and someone might have already. Cardies like things hot. HOT HOT HOT. Even when DS9 started, the pilot, O'Brien was saying how the temperature was stuck high. So, M class being like earth, if said Cardies go to say Canada, its an "ice planet". Hell, anywhere but the Equator would prolly be too cold for them.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Capulet wrote: »
    Here's a mystery, why or how in the name of Einstein do they use PLASMA as a coolant?? :eek:

Simple answer: they don't. Plasma coolant isn't a coolant made of plasma, its a coolant for plasma.

And now to another mystery. Why in the name of Great Shatner's ghost can two species which evolved on two separate planets (i.e. Earth & Vulcan) mate and produce viable offspring when, as anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of biology knows that two species which evolved on the same planet cannot?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Simple answer: they don't. Plasma coolant isn't a coolant made of plasma, its a coolant for plasma.

And now to another mystery. Why in the name of Great Shatner's ghost can two species which evolved on two separate planets (i.e. Earth & Vulcan) mate and produce viable offspring when, as anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of biology knows that two species which evolved on the same planet cannot?

What about that TNG episode where the Enterprise, some Klingons, Cardassians and in the end Romulans were hunting dna samples which turned out to be a program to explain that this one race seeded all of the homeworlds in the galaxy with their own? In theory all of the races in the Star Trek universe have the same genetics but underwent different mutations as they evolved.

Hmmmmm I guess it's like chimps and humans. I dunno. It's plausible that they are all genetically compatible even after all these eons.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I want to answer this, even though its WAY old, and someone might have already. Cardies like things hot. HOT HOT HOT. Even when DS9 started, the pilot, O'Brien was saying how the temperature was stuck high. So, M class being like earth, if said Cardies go to say Canada, its an "ice planet". Hell, anywhere but the Equator would prolly be too cold for them.

Or what the Cardassian Ambassador was on, was merely what they had been told was the Breen Homeworld. Or Weyoun was told, whichever way around.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JT26thES wrote:
    What about that TNG episode where the Enterprise, some Klingons, Cardassians and in the end Romulans were hunting dna samples which turned out to be a program to explain that this one race seeded all of the homeworlds in the galaxy with their own? In theory all of the races in the Star Trek universe have the same genetics but underwent different mutations as they evolved.

Hmmmmm I guess it's like chimps and humans. I dunno. It's plausible that they are all genetically compatible even after all these eons.

True, but that ep was primarily made to answer the frequently asked question 'why do all the aliens look like bipedal humanoids?' And If I'm honest, it was an awfully contrite episode. But despite my opinion, even if those species were the result of panspermia from a common genetic source, the billons of years of divergant evolution would've rendered any compatability null, even if they did look a bit like each other.

One could say it was a case of convergant evolution, wherein separate species evolve similar characterisics independently, however, examples of convergant characteristics in modern earth species still do not allow for them to breed with one another.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Khorak wrote: »
    The series covers a long period of time. In the first episode he was 59, in Nemesis he was 74.

He don't look 74 in Nemesis.......
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    He don't look 74 in Nemesis.......

Patrick Stewart himself is only five years away from being 74 and he doesn't look like it either.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Patrick Stewart himself is only five years away from being 74 and he doesn't look like it either.

That means he's 69... he'll start to get younger now. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JT26thES wrote:
    That means he's 69... he'll start to get younger now. :D

Dang didnae know this....
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OH! here's one...if Augments live twice as long as regular humans then why did Khan age so much between TOS and ST2? In theory he should had aged physically 1/2 as much as the Crew of the Enterprise right?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OH! here's one...if Augments live twice as long as regular humans then why did Khan age so much between TOS and ST2? In theory he should had aged physically 1/2 as much as the Crew of the Enterprise right?

harder working conditions and living conditions. the crew of the enterpise has a well equiped sick bay and easy lifestyle...
    where as he is a rough working dude....with no access to proper sick bay
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [/quote]And I have another "mystery": now I know they thought up the transporter as a quick resort at the very beginning of TOS, because the set for the shuttle wasn't ready, and therefore it became a great invention for the rest of star trek's legacy.
    But in theory it would cost so much memory to store a persons matrix into a buffer, that even with 25th century tech, I don't think we can actually accomplish dis-assembling a human, atom by atom, and assembling him/her again atom by atom. Wasn't there some sort of pseudo-science device that covered that, or is it still a big mystery how they store all that data?[/quote]

Pretty bold statement given that a 100 years ago storing any data in something size of you thumb was mostly a heroin dream and now you can store TRIBBLE, lots and lots. The level of computing we see in Star Trek isn't even comprehensible to us. I mean seriously the writers thought they were doing a good job explaining, but the simple stuff those computers do..Gods. Archer's Enterprise computer's data card reader is probably more powerful then all the computers on Earth today. Seriously, it's not well addresed in canon, but we have to be talking multi state quantum level bits, no 0 and 1 but 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. Per bit (actually the call them quads so maybe 4 states per bit equivalent?)

The Falcon fighting the borg over Earth in FC, that's a little easier. Starfleet sent out a general alarm to all armed vessels. Guy commanding the Falcon was a civilian freebooter who loved Star Wars and since shape really doesn't matter at that tech level, he flies a Falcon Replica. Probably pays Stark/Lucas LTD a license fee. :)

Where did the whale probe come from and is it the express reason (Besides the whole navigation thing) porpoise are now fleet officers?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    True, but that ep was primarily made to answer the frequently asked question 'why do all the aliens look like bipedal humanoids?' And If I'm honest, it was an awfully contrite episode. But despite my opinion, even if those species were the result of panspermia from a common genetic source, the billons of years of divergant evolution would've rendered any compatability null, even if they did look a bit like each other.

One could say it was a case of convergant evolution, wherein separate species evolve similar characterisics independently, however, examples of convergant characteristics in modern earth species still do not allow for them to breed with one another.

Actually there is a book called "Energies" by Vaclac Smil which IIRC lays out the biologic energy trade-offs involved in arriving at technology forming brains and bipedalism. Which does not preclude four or more legged sentient-technological life but informs that there must be an appropriate biologic energy / thermodynamic exchange involved for it to occur.

I would not be surprised to find out that bipedal technological capable life would be predominate.

I would not expect them to all look like five-degrees of human separation...but that is more a TV budget constraint.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The_Dogman wrote:
    Mystery: Why do some fans think V'Ger created the Borg when in First Contact the Borg time travel to the past (well before Decker and V'Ger) and attempt to contact the Borg of that era? Surely the Queen would know whether or not their own kind existed in that time frame. Same mystery for the episode of Enterprise that involved The Borg, they were aware that they were in the past yet still attempted, somewhat unsuccessfully, to contact the collective.

STTMP -- V'Ger was believed lost in a black hole. As everyone knows black holes are the magic pandoras box panacea of much space opera.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    xlcr wrote: »
    How did Nero Killing George Kirk cause Uhura to get all hot for Spock two decades later?

Nero traveled back through time and not only destroyed Vulcan but also killed Spocks mother. Spock was "emotionally compromised" from the incident just as the future Spock said in the film. It's possible that Uhura always had a thing for Spock even in the Prime universe but Spock had no need to respond to it. However, after the death of his mother he realizes that he needed a woman in his life to fill the emotional gap that was created by Nero.

Spock said so in the movie, the lives that each of them were supposed to have lived had been irrevocably changed forever.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why haven't the resident's of the time warped planet in Voyager episode "Blink of an eye" ever made an appearance. I figure by now they would have not only caught up with Starfleet technology, but have far surpassed it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I could very well be that the"Storm Front" episodes gave humans a more aggressive, distrustful attitude that may have spawned a "Terran Empire". The WW II scenario in those episodes were more encompassing than actual history and included technology brought in by the temporal race involved.

As for the movie ..I got the impression that it could very well turn into a trilogy. The first ended with them knowing that thier's was an altranate timeline, and you all know how ST lore loves a repaired timeline ;)

I'm seeing the second movie having them discover that the timeline can be fixed and the third having them actually fixing it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I always wanted to know what the U.S.S. stood for?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    funkdefyno wrote: »
    I always wanted to know what the U.S.S. stood for?
    United Star Ship.
    Or if you prefer...
    United federation Star Ship.

Not United States Ship.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Chat wrote:
    United Star Ship.
    Or if you prefer...
    United federation Star Ship.

Not United States Ship.

Hrmm... :/ seems like a stretch but I trust you Chat, thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What happens to the Cristal Entity that Lore controls in DataLore?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It was destroyed later on by a Scientist wanting revenge on it...When the enterprise attempted to talk to it using sounds she increased the pitch to shatter the beastie
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Here's a mystery, why or how in the name of Einstein do they use PLASMA as a coolant?? :eek:

Because plasma isn't inherently hot, just more ionised than not. Info on plasma

What i don't get is how they can break a human down to the atomic level and reassemble them with out issue but can't replicate certain minerals? It makes no sense.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    Because plasma isn't inherently hot, just more ionised than not. Info on plasma

What i don't get is how they can break a human down to the atomic level and reassemble them with out issue but can't replicate certain minerals? It makes no sense.

I guess the molecular structure is too complicated for the replicators, like in the episode where the Enterprise findes a Romulian and can't replicate blood for him because the cellular structure was too complicated.

Why can't William Shattner accept that his character died in ST Generations?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gold-Eagle wrote: »
    I guess the molecular structure is too complicated for the replicators, like in the episode where the Enterprise findes a Romulian and can't replicate blood for him because the cellular structure was too complicated.

Because, to quote tvtropes.org, his ego is "The size of his native Canada"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think really the biggest mystery in star trek is why its not about space pirates...I mean who don't love space pirates?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It would've been, if it wasn't for the rampant Shakespeare quoting. Space Pirates should stick to quoting musicals.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gold-Eagle wrote: »

But they can beam them across with out issue?

Makes no sense!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    But they can beam them across with out issue?

Makes no sense!
    I know its a mystery right?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Have they found the "G Spot"? If yes, for which species?
    It's the 24th century yanno. :D