Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Vaneshi wrote:
    FC: Follow the Yellow.
    Fleet: PEW PEW PEW PEW.

As it stands now:

FC: I'm kinda shooting at the fourth cube from the left at my 6 o'clock position.
    Fleet: WTF? *randomly starts firing*

Being able to pickle a target is handy.

actually right now picking a target is easy.

FC: Target me and fire when I do
    Fleet: Pew pew pew

They really should of mentioned that ability in the manual.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Beaker2009 wrote: »
    It was a BUG!!! Disruptors are Green, Phasers are yellow/orange Poloron is purpleish. changing the colors was taking advantage of a bug.

They fixed the bug, get over it!!

Exploiting the bug to make your phasers look like disruptors or whatever should be illegal and get you banned for exploiting a bug.
    Sorry, Disruptors are Yellow and Green in-game. Phasers are Orange and blue in game.

So the precident for multiple colors variants of the same weapons are there. Also Green Disruptors looked different from Green phasers. The knowledge of knowing what kind of weapon was minor, the knowledge of what side was firing was major.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wow another of these threads for a dev to close!

/wrist
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaneshi wrote:
    Illegal is such a strong word.

You talk like an EVE player, so let me put this to you like this. It's a cold hard universe out there and I'll take whatever advantage I can get. So would you and if you wouldn't, didn't or couldn't then your a moron and should GB2WOW.

Right done.

I don't have the post to quote, but I'm pretty sure it's been said that exploiting bugs is illegal...

Illegal like get you banned, not illegal like going to jail do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Granted, I assume no body knew it was a bug at first, we all probably thought it was a "feature". But, once we found out, no, its a bug, then it appropriately should go.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Merls wrote:
    Wow another of these threads for a dev to close!

/wrist
    The moderator actually stated they would like to see discussion on the subject, but the trolls and fames have forced them to close them. So thanks for contributing to getting this one closed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The moderator actually stated they would like to see discussion on the subject, but the trolls and fames have forced them to close them. So thanks for contributing to getting this one closed.

What is left to discuss, really. Some people want them some don't and its the same half doezen reasons from both camps. I wouldn't mind the discussion going on if it was kept to one thread, but it isn't, and thats where I get annoyed.

And no problem.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sabrem wrote: »
    for all we know yes they do care. I mean Lucas is down right anal about anything to do with the Star Wars IP so it wouldn't be to hard to imagine CBS/Paramount is. I know they were when it came to Star Trek the Experience from working there.

Why don't you ask cryptic to list everything they aren't allowed to do? the huge list of small things might surprise you
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yay! ANOTHER thread about powerhue! </sarcasm>

No, I don't want to see an assortment of TRIBBLE pride ships in Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yeah, they've given up on the discussion at this point because it's pointless. No one on either side is changing their mind about the issue, so any more discussion is just circular and fruitless.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why don't you ask cryptic to list everything they aren't allowed to do? the huge list of small things might surprise you

I really wouldn't want to read a list that long..well I assume it's long. But if I'm reading what you said right that's my point. There may very well be a huge list of small thing that we may think is just stupid. But nothing we or cyrptic could do about it.

Like I said though I really don't care if this is in, I wouldn't use it but more power to you if you want to.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pandajuice wrote: »
    Yeah, they've given up on the discussion at this point because it's pointless. No one on either side is changing their mind about the issue, so any more discussion is just circular and fruitless.
    There has been many valid concerns and reasons both for and against the weapon colors, as well as a couple workable solutions. Sadly they are drowned out by the volume of "thats the way it is too bad" and "pink phaser" arguments , and direct insults; which do not help

The number of threads is the futile attempt to get one thread that the trolls to not latch on to.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    actually right now picking a target is easy.

FC: Target me and fire when I do
    Fleet: Pew pew pew

They really should of mentioned that ability in the manual.

I dunno if its my client or just unlucky, but everytime I try to swap targets around there is an appriciable delay in the system relocking. Sometimes it never does and I'm clicking like a mad bugger trying to swap to my ally to heal them.

Whilst I might be the only one having such issues, a simple and frankly foolproof secondary way of saying "Kill this one!" would be useful. As would a flare of sensor ping so a late commer or hoofing lumbering cruiser can waddle in the right direction after you've vanished (both from the mini and full area map, but were still in the instance as I caught up with them eventually).
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's actually a good place to start when asking for features, if there was a stickied post from Cryptic that explicity said all the things their license prohibited we'd have a starting point to work from. As it stands we're all just going "Can we have X please" in the dark.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaneshi wrote:
    I dunno if its my client or just unlucky, but everytime I try to swap targets around there is an appriciable delay in the system relocking. Sometimes it never does and I'm clicking like a mad bugger trying to swap to my ally to heal them.

Whilst I might be the only one having such issues, a simple and frankly foolproof secondary way of saying "Kill this one!" would be useful. As would a flare of sensor ping so a late commer or hoofing lumbering cruiser can waddle in the right direction after you've vanished (both from the mini and full area map, but were still in the instance as I caught up with them eventually).

Well I'll give some hints..this may not be helpful due to lag and what not but may make it somewhat eaiser.

If you have a ally targeted and fire, you autotarget the allies target.
    If you have a enemy targeted and do a heal (or any other buff that works on friends) it autotargets the enemies target.
    When partied up F1 - F5 targets your allies, you being F1 and F2 being the person on the top of the list on the left of your screen, and so on.

But yeah more options to help keep the party organized and targeting the same one would be nice, and I love the idea of a sensor ping to help you find the party if they are on the other side of the map. I'd also like to see the ability I've seen in other mmos..like guild wars I think, where you can draw on the minimap to help with planing.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There has been many valid concerns and reasons both for and against the weapon colors, as well as a couple workable solutions. Sadly they are drowned out by the volume of "thats the way it is too bad" and "pink phaser" arguments , and direct insults; which do not help

The number of threads is the futile attempt to get one thread that the trolls to not latch on to.

I've participated in a few of them, and I didn't see a lot of trolls. I saw passionate arguements for and against the issue. Like I said, no one will back down, so a discussion at this point is pointless. The devs have heard the pros and cons and the alternatives and taken note; they said that themselves.

Any more threads are just superfluous and will be ignored I think.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BOTTOM LINE:

It was a bug.
    It got fixed.
    Play or quit.
    Don't QQ.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    But yeah more options to help keep the party organized and targeting the same one would be nice, and I love the idea of a sensor ping to help you find the party if they are on the other side of the map. I'd also like to see the ability I've seen in other mmos..like guild wars I think, where you can draw on the minimap to help with planing.

Thanks for the tips, useful.

Doodling on the mini-map for strat planning sounds highly useful. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.
    staticblue wrote: »
    Don't QQ.

Some of us have ships powered by tasty tears. My Obelisk is nearly full and hopefully STO tears are tasty and compatible with my Nightmare's reactor. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaneshi wrote:

Doodling on the mini-map for strat planning sounds highly useful. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

I Remember that in Guildwars, Everytime you group with a pug giant phallus would show up, among other things.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Merls wrote:
    I Remember that in Guildwars, Everytime you group with a pug giant phallus would show up, among other things.

Can we please stick to the original point, thx.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Merls wrote:

LOL, Sorry but that's a feature and a half! Attack plan phallus!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaneshi wrote:
    LOL, Sorry but that's a feature and a half! Attack plan phallus!

Please stay on topic. I don't want this closed because people changed subjects.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Weapon colour in Star Trek matters.
    Not because of the IP issues, although that is obviously a concern for Cryptic.
    More important to us however, is the gameplay issue. As has been mentioned already, weapons have different effects, and the colour you see denotes the weapon type. If i'm hitting you with green phasers, you're going to be expecting resistance reduction, not systems going offline.

If i'm hitting you with Red torpedo's, you're going to expect straight hull damage, not your ship bursting into flames.

That's probably the biggest reason for the fix from our point of view. I don't want to be using resistance skills against plasma weapons, i want hazard emitters, likewise i don't want to brace for impact when i see incoming plasma torps, i want to save it for the high yield quantums... the argument here is i can disguise my weapons and that gives me an unfair advantage.

Hence the fix.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vereg wrote:
    More important to us however, is the gameplay issue. As has been mentioned already, weapons have different effects, and the colour you see denotes the weapon type. If i'm hitting you with green phasers, you're going to be expecting resistance reduction, not systems going offline.

If i'm hitting you with Red torpedo's, you're going to expect straight hull damage, not your ship bursting into flames.

That's probably the biggest reason for the fix from our point of view. I don't want to be using resistance skills against plasma weapons, i want hazard emitters, likewise i don't want to brace for impact when i see incoming plasma torps, i want to save it for the high yield quantums... the argument here is i can disguise my weapons and that gives me an unfair advantage.

Hence the fix.

If your meaning pvp then it's not a true PVP system because you know what your being hit with. A true PVP system, means you should have NO knowledge of what the other person has to attack you with.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Talamakara wrote: »
    Please stay on topic. I don't want this closed because people changed subjects.

The devs left it in from Champions, the devs declared it a bug. The devs removed it despite players giving very valid reasons for and against keeping it in.

There have been a multitude of threads about powerhue and its removal. Considering this thread has lots of exclamation marks in its title I don't think the devs will pay any attention to it.

It's continued existance is because nobody has spammed the report button.... yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vereg wrote:

Hence the fix.
    There is no "unfair" about it since both sides could change colors.

As for colors, there is not a single case in Star Trek when both sides of the battle had the same color weapons. Even when ships were captured and used against their old fleet, the colors of the weapons changed, even though the weapon themselves did not.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dude, just go play WoW and cry that they won't let you make your sword an axe because you think axes look cooler.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am delighted they fixed this bug, it was a real QoL issue for me...it ruined immersion and made the game way less trek...now if they could only keep you from naming your captain Borat and your ship the USS Hello Kitty...but hey, i can dream, right? :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wow. Just.. wow.

For once I have to agree that Cryptic made a proper and practical decision. This has nothing to do with 'making the game cool', it's all about DISGUISE- which is not usable in the 'canon' real-world of Star Trek, nor is it fair in-game.

As someone with too much time on their hands said ;) It's all about masking what your weapons really are, and being able to react to them and that is unfair to PvP battles. If you're attacked with Phasers, the defence buffs are different from Disruptors, same with varieties of torpedoes, etc.

Plus, I use disruptors on my ship. I like being the only green gunner in the fight. :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Second, this isn't Champions Online. While pink phasers might be cool for Star Trek Babes Online, it does not fit with the intellectual property of Star Trek.

Well im not sure if you noticed but this game is a just a game with a star trek skin, as there are TONS of things that are not canon nor IP compliant of star trek.

So honestly does it really matter at this point if his phasers are pink or purple? its not like it is something that cant be changed in real life of laser lights or just the fact that this is a sci-fi game and anything is possible.

so why not phasers color changes or any changes for that matter....

This isnt star trek online. its a space themed game online with a star trek skin.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nimrod351 wrote: »
    Well im not sure if you noticed but this game is a just a game with a star trek skin, as there are TONS of things that are not canon nor IP compliant of star trek.

So honestly does it really matter at this point if his phasers are pink or purple? its not like it is something that cant be changed in real life of laser lights or just the fact that this is a sci-fi game and anything is possible.

so why not phasers color changes or any changes for that matter....

This isnt star trek online. its a space themed game online with a star trek skin.

Alright...well this star trek skin doesn't have pink and purple phasers because its silly.

There. We all happy now?