test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Summer is HERE - RISA 2022!

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    The ethical issues aside, from a visual point of view i cannot see myself flying a ship resembling the creature from farpoint.
    I'd be interesting if it were a non combat pet, but to fly one?

For me it will be a few quick mastery runs and then it can retire.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    The ethical issues aside, from a visual point of view i cannot see myself flying a ship resembling the creature from farpoint.
    I'd be interesting if it were a non combat pet, but to fly one?

For me it will be a few quick mastery runs and then it can retire.

The teaser they initially showed was the flying saucer form, not the jellyfish-like one, so the flyable ship might be that rather than the form shown hanging in the sky on Risa. Who knows, maybe they took advantage of the mode switch to let the playable ship switch forms or something.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Still, it's a natural creature that we'll be flying and using as a ship. In battles.

Which means that you're not making something made out of duranium and steel a target, but a living thing. Instead of accepting that you may experience a hull breach, your captain accepts that a living organism will be punctured, explode and losing limbs instead of nacelles. For no good reason at all, because Starfleet doesn't need bioships when it has non-organic ones.

If this weren't a game, I'd have some serious ethical concerns. Luckily this is just a game, so I'll just collect it and then forget I have it.

Starfleet ships are crewed though so it's not like no one is gonna die if the ship gets damaged, people in this thread seem to with the idea these creatures are unwillingly used as ships rather then being essentially another member of the crew who also happens to be the ship as well.

True, but in the case of crew on a regular ship they're protected by non-living components and human-made, non-sentient alloys and constructions. That's quite different from hiding inside one of your 'crewmates' and using them as a living shield - which is generally seen by civilised people as the most deplorable tactic thinkable.

Even the Klingons ( ;) ) were enlightened enough to only put dead people outside their ship so they could take the first hits of incoming fire. And then they were still surrounded by coffins.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Still, it's a natural creature that we'll be flying and using as a ship. In battles.

Which means that you're not making something made out of duranium and steel a target, but a living thing. Instead of accepting that you may experience a hull breach, your captain accepts that a living organism will be punctured, explode and losing limbs instead of nacelles. For no good reason at all, because Starfleet doesn't need bioships when it has non-organic ones.

If this weren't a game, I'd have some serious ethical concerns. Luckily this is just a game, so I'll just collect it and then forget I have it.

Starfleet ships are crewed though so it's not like no one is gonna die if the ship gets damaged, people in this thread seem to with the idea these creatures are unwillingly used as ships rather then being essentially another member of the crew who also happens to be the ship as well.

Even the Klingons ( ;) ) were enlightened enough to only put dead people outside their ship so they could take the first hits of incoming fire. And then they were still surrounded by coffins.

I'm pretty sure that is referring to some piece of beta lore i am not familiar with.
    Unless you're talking about that time worf destroyed a decloaking ship filled with corpses.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I have a Lukari crew which are basically space druids in my headcanon, if we actually get a bioship I'd already have a char for it 😁
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    questerius wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that is referring to some piece of beta lore i am not familiar with.
    Unless you're talking about that time worf destroyed a decloaking ship filled with corpses.

No. He's referring to the Ship of the Dead from DSC s1.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Sarcophagus?so=search
    The vessel was significantly larger than a Federation Walker-class starship and was covered with thousands of hollow, ornamental, metallic pods that were tightly interlocked to form a symbolic armor. These caskets contained a "Black Fleet" of remains of warriors, dating back as far as thousands of years.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User

Crewed vs Fueled/Fed by the Tormented Souls of your Lower Deck Officers and BOFF's. It all works out the same. Always remember the Janeway Corollary to the Prime Directive "Article IA; "It's Not Evil If We Do It"
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    This will be my first summer event.......that I've attended.

Heard the word 'race' and 'daily' were involved and I was still recovering from the hell of the winter event, so I just skipped it.

So if the ship isn't all that I'll do the other stuff instead.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

Heard the word 'race' and 'daily' were involved and I was still recovering from the hell of the winter event, so I just skipped it.

Race is a bit misleading term to describe the stuff you need to do to get the ship, as you're competing only against a rather generous timer, you typically have several minutes left in the timer even you turn in the daily. Everything else in the summer event is voluntary and there's no need to attend those if you do not wish to do so.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User

Race is a bit misleading term to describe the stuff you need to do to get the ship, as you're competing only against a rather generous timer, you typically have several minutes left in the timer even you turn in the daily. Everything else in the summer event is voluntary and there's no need to attend those if you do not wish to do so.

This was 4 years ago I'm talking about.

The winter race had to glitch for me to get through it back then (no opponent) and wouldn't do it in 2018, so I peaced out. Heard Risa had a form of race for that, so PTSD made me not go there.

If they've modified it so my console isn't going to be waving at an asteroid these days, all is well.

You don't need to defend it that hard.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    To add on to westmetals' info:

The race in Summer Event was a PvP race, and only really useful for getting stuff to trade for a Risian Monkey pet. Never counted towards the ship. Also... I think you could earn the right to ride a gold surfboard if you won first place. (Unless that's the biathalon but still... mostly bragging rights only.)

Flying High (the original thing that was done to get credit for the ship) is not a race. Its a rather casual fly around the island doing 3 out of 4 generated "tracks" then reporting back to the dock to turn in. While the lower end Floaters can make it feel like you're on the clock, higher end floaters can finish with plenty of time to spare. And ALL floaters can complete it with time to spare. You were really only racing the clock, and even that wasn't a race.

Also other parts of the Summer Event have been opened up for credit towards the ship, including the Dance Party. (Pro Tip: Pin your emote menu)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Honestly, I do better with either the base Floater or the one just a bit better. Any faster and I start having trouble on the turns. That's probably just my reflexes, though. And even the one you rent will do the job (although my preferred technique with a new toon, until I had so many lolnuts I didn't know what to do with them, was to rent the floater, run the horga'hn hunt once, and use the lolnut reward to buy a permanent one).

In the interest of efficiency, because I've seen the entire island several times over by now, I look at the selection of floater tracks when I take the assignment and try to choose a set that's as close to end-to-end as I can arrange. I can always use the site-to-site transporter option to get back if I stop to chat during the mission and start to feel pressed for time.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I love both seasonal events!
    The only activity I don't like on Risa is the Artifact Hunt. I'll give that a hard pass.
    But the Hoverboard Race and Biathlon are favorites of mine, and I usually at least get on the podium (i.e. finish in the top three)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    To add on to westmetals' info:

The race in Summer Event was a PvP race, and only really useful for getting stuff to trade for a Risian Monkey pet. Never counted towards the ship. Also... I think you could earn the right to ride a gold surfboard if you won first place. (Unless that's the biathalon but still... mostly bragging rights only.)

Flying High (the original thing that was done to get credit for the ship) is not a race. Its a rather casual fly around the island doing 3 out of 4 generated "tracks" then reporting back to the dock to turn in. While the lower end Floaters can make it feel like you're on the clock, higher end floaters can finish with plenty of time to spare. And ALL floaters can complete it with time to spare. You were really only racing the clock, and even that wasn't a race.

Also other parts of the Summer Event have been opened up for credit towards the ship, including the Dance Party. (Pro Tip: Pin your emote menu)

Well I'd say that "flying High" is technically a race against time, but in practice the timer is so generous that normally it's a certain win.
  • Options
    And with a high-end floater and average skill at steering the character with your mouse the whole task is completed in two to three minutes (!). That's really not too bad.

The usial events where you have to sit through time gated TFOs 20 times in a row though, those are exhausting.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    Plus, with Flying High, you don't get disqualified for going outside the 'track'. So it's a lot less difficult for people with bad connections/etc, compared to the Winter ice race. No having to restart multiple times.
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    I always find the best reward vs time ones for grinding out some lolnuts is Horgan Hunt, where you can do it on 3 or 4 characters each time cycle. Flying High, which you can cycle all toons through easily, and the dance party.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Seems the 'ship' has an alt-mode:
    mzr0u3i8wj791.png

If I still played the game and had any interest in this 'ship' I might have made a new Benzite character; I'd have named him Squid.Jr and would've christened the 'ship' U.S.S. Marvel at my Final Form

Hm, if that's true, then I might use it after all. When it can look like that, it'll be easier to just pretend that Starfleet built these ships.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    mzr0u3i8wj791.png

If I still played the game and had any interest in this 'ship' I might have made a new Benzite character; I'd have named him Squid.Jr and would've christened the 'ship' U.S.S. Marvel at my Final Form

This is kind of awesome, not gonna lie pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    Hopefully, some materials or vanity shields will make it look more like an actual ship or bioship and not a cheap plastic toy.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Wow, someone got lazy...

My OCD will have me earn the ship, but it'll never get used... Wow...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Wow, someone got lazy...

If you mean that ship design then the one who got lazy was the TNG designers back in 1980s as that pretty faithful reproduction even the fact it looks kind of like a plastic toy.
  • Options
    I suspect that the new ship will have some sort of guardian effect like the Ba'ul sentry mode judging from the tentacle pictures released earlier.

That is the only reason i can think of for the difference between these two.
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    mzr0u3i8wj791.png

This is kind of awesome, not gonna lie pig-2.gif​​

Agreed. I just got a lot more interested in that ship! =O

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Wow, someone got lazy...

If you mean that ship design then the one who got lazy was the TNG designers back in 1980s as that pretty faithful reproduction even the fact it looks kind of like a plastic toy.

I think it looks wicked awesome, like angrytarg said. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Wow, someone got lazy...

I think it looks wicked awesome, like angrytarg said. :)

Well that's not really a counter-diction as it's awesome even if does look kind of like a big plastic toy.
  • Options
    I also predict the local population of classic Grays to increase now that we have a pretty easy to obtain Flying Saucer coming. lol
This discussion has been closed.