test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Summer is HERE - RISA 2022!

Comments

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,215 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Wonder if they are bringing back the day/night cycle.

No

Hey, I was just simply wondering since I heard about the environmental changes, I don't see why it should warrant such a blunt no answer, I wasn't actually asking a question.
    I stream on Twitch, look for Avoozl_
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    Wonder if they are bringing back the day/night cycle.

No

Hey, I was just simply wondering since I heard about the environmental changes, I don't see why it should warrant such a blunt no answer, I wasn't actually asking a question.

It is a frequently asked question.
    AFAIK the day/night cycle cannot be done with the lighting scheme within a map. Unless one wants to teleport between maps (with all the issues involved with that) upon switching between night and day the answer is summarized "no".
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,447 Community Moderator
    The day/night cycle was covered in this week's livestream, with the lead envirnmental artist.

They also talked about the idea of having maps set with different times, which in itself posed its own set of problems.

However they did float the idea of maybe changing the time of day each year based on player feedback.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    Meh. I think it's a bit silly to fly a Farpoint creature. Probably won't be using it.

It was appropriate when they were added as pets, but having them as fully functional ships is just weird.
    edited June 2022
    I think I now know which ship we'll get next year. Probably the flower ships from ST: Picard's first season?
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    ...this feels like the first holiday ship that I really don't want to ever fly. So why bother getting it.

Great.
    Big.
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
    <picardWTF.gif>

So confused.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,447 Community Moderator
    where is the vid, or can you say what was discussed on reasons for and against?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1267247/ten-forward-weekly-6-15-2022
    Covered in the notes here. As for the vid itself... I'll check to see if it was added to the STO YouTube Channel.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,763 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    Meh. I think it's a bit silly to fly a Farpoint creature. Probably won't be using it.

It was appropriate when they were added as pets, but having them as fully functional ships is just weird.

They are shapeshifters according to the pilot episode of TNG (Encounter at Farpoint) and someone walking around in one that is imitating a Federation building style has no idea that they are really a living creature until little oddities start adding up if they are very observant.

I think it is a great idea personally, I had been wanting to get an Undine ship for a particular character I have an idea for, but a cosmozoan bioship would do just as well, and maybe better.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,662 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »
    For the Risian ships T6 versions for science, corvette and cruiser have been released. So the only remaining classes would be the carrier and/or dreadnought. But neither one feels like it would fit in with the relaxed vibe for the summer event.

To be honest anything bigger then a cruiser doesn't really fit Risa as it's been depicted in both Canon or STO, the cruiser you can excuse as converted passenger liner but that wouldn't really work for a Battleship, Carrier or a Dreadnought. Armed merchant ships tended to be not that powerful.

Also Risa is depicted either being a UFP system or at very least a UFP protectorate with very close ties to UFP so there's not really a need for them to have strong war fleet ready, since most likely should Risa be attacked Starfleet would come to their aid (not mention there might already be Starfleet or KDF ships in orbit as is).

I was actually toying with a fan fic with a starfleet crew stationed on Risa, their jobs would be taking over visiting ships so the entire crew could go on vacation.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User

yet we got 8472 ships to fly. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User

They are shapeshifters according to the pilot episode of TNG (Encounter at Farpoint) and someone walking around in one that is imitating a Federation building style has no idea that they are really a living creature until little oddities start adding up if they are very observant.

I think it is a great idea personally, I had been wanting to get an Undine ship for a particular character I have an idea for, but a cosmozoan bioship would do just as well, and maybe better.

Yep, always liked those creatures, and I think I'm the only one who liked "Encounter at Farpoint" :o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    This honestly feels like a "jumped the shark" moment. They came up with something worse than those Discovery "multiple disconnected parts" ships. Or the Ent-J.
    Like those f2p fantasy MMOs that add an anachronistic cop car as a mount.

/sigh
    Ah, well. Different people, different opinions. /shrug

If the clothing options are lousy, too, I doubt I'll even bother with this holiday.
    kiralyn wrote: »
    This honestly feels like a "jumped the shark" moment. They came up with something worse than those Discovery "multiple disconnected parts" ships. Or the Ent-J.
    Like those f2p fantasy MMOs that add an anachronistic cop car as a mount.

/sigh
    Ah, well. Different people, different opinions. /shrug

If the clothing options are lousy, too, I doubt I'll even bother with this holiday.

It is not like there weren't other bioships in Trek, the Undine and Tinman specifically, and I think there were a few others mentioned or shown in passing.
    Not only have bioships been seen in Trek besides the Undine ships... the Farpoint creature also had a form that was indistinguishable from a conventional ship, even to the sensors of the Enterprise-D.

Screen-Shot-2012-01-04-at-9.08.04-PM.png

Odds are the playable version will be the Saucer form, which would allow for the use of Vanity Shields. Or with help from the Lukari there are replica ships designed after that Saucer form.
    Still, it's a natural creature that we'll be flying and using as a ship. In battles.

Which means that you're not making something made out of duranium and steel a target, but a living thing. Instead of accepting that you may experience a hull breach, your captain accepts that a living organism will be punctured, explode and losing limbs instead of nacelles. For no good reason at all, because Starfleet doesn't need bioships when it has non-organic ones.

If this weren't a game, I'd have some serious ethical concerns. Luckily this is just a game, so I'll just collect it and then forget I have it.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    I'm curious which ship we'll be able to get.

To be fair, I hardly use event ships. I always collect them, but usually they go unused. The sci ship wasn't too bad, it's just that I already have many sci ships.

Which Science ship are we talking about? I've done both Risa and QWW for years. I probably have it. The silly one with the lightning bolts thing on GW?

Of all the event ships I have ever collected, my favorite is the Krenim Science vessel. It has a beefy Tac BOFF seating layout that I like. But the Flying Dorito deserves an honorable mention. The Boomerang is/was a better Lukari ship on stats, but the Dorito has a certain je ne sais quoi.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,324 Arc User
    Still, it's a natural creature that we'll be flying and using as a ship. In battles.

Which means that you're not making something made out of duranium and steel a target, but a living thing. Instead of accepting that you may experience a hull breach, your captain accepts that a living organism will be punctured, explode and losing limbs instead of nacelles. For no good reason at all, because Starfleet doesn't need bioships when it has non-organic ones.

If this weren't a game, I'd have some serious ethical concerns. Luckily this is just a game, so I'll just collect it and then forget I have it.

Starfleet ships are crewed though so it's not like no one is gonna die if the ship gets damaged, people in this thread seem to with the idea these creatures are unwillingly used as ships rather then being essentially another member of the crew who also happens to be the ship as well.
    When it comes to bio-ships, its either they are just grown like Undine ships, and thus not really alive, or they are living beings themselves, like Moya from FarScape.

Honestly I think people here are thinking a bit too deeply on the subject of ethics. Lore wise, odds are any Farpoint lifeforms that enter service volunteer somehow. Or the ships themselves are replicas. We won't know the lore stuff until the Dev Blog comes out so honestly its a bit early to cry ethics and morality.
    For that matter, several episodes have shown that the conventional mechanical ships have computers capable of true intelligence if they are released from their constraints and not flushed back to starting specs regularly.

Even way back in TOS the ship giggled and flirted when the yard dialed back the constraints so it could have a personality, and in TAS an incident with an interference cloud damaged the constraints and again the computer gained a personality, this time with a (somewhat sick) sense of humor and started playing pranks on the crew.

While the subject is not straightforward in Trek since it is one of the areas where prejudice seems to have taken hold to a large degree, how is what is essentially a potential "live" intelligent robot ship any less deserving of consideration than an equally intelligent bioship that carries a crew willingly? And they throw those tech ships (and their crews) into combat, when necessary, without a second thought.
    The ethical issues aside, from a visual point of view i cannot see myself flying a ship resembling the creature from farpoint.
    I'd be interesting if it were a non combat pet, but to fly one?

For me it will be a few quick mastery runs and then it can retire.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    The ethical issues aside, from a visual point of view i cannot see myself flying a ship resembling the creature from farpoint.
    I'd be interesting if it were a non combat pet, but to fly one?

For me it will be a few quick mastery runs and then it can retire.

The teaser they initially showed was the flying saucer form, not the jellyfish-like one, so the flyable ship might be that rather than the form shown hanging in the sky on Risa. Who knows, maybe they took advantage of the mode switch to let the playable ship switch forms or something.

Starfleet ships are crewed though so it's not like no one is gonna die if the ship gets damaged, people in this thread seem to with the idea these creatures are unwillingly used as ships rather then being essentially another member of the crew who also happens to be the ship as well.

True, but in the case of crew on a regular ship they're protected by non-living components and human-made, non-sentient alloys and constructions. That's quite different from hiding inside one of your 'crewmates' and using them as a living shield - which is generally seen by civilised people as the most deplorable tactic thinkable.

Even the Klingons ( ;) ) were enlightened enough to only put dead people outside their ship so they could take the first hits of incoming fire. And then they were still surrounded by coffins.

Even the Klingons ( ;) ) were enlightened enough to only put dead people outside their ship so they could take the first hits of incoming fire. And then they were still surrounded by coffins.

I'm pretty sure that is referring to some piece of beta lore i am not familiar with.
    Unless you're talking about that time worf destroyed a decloaking ship filled with corpses.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I have a Lukari crew which are basically space druids in my headcanon, if we actually get a bioship I'd already have a char for it 😁
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    I'm pretty sure that is referring to some piece of beta lore i am not familiar with.
    Unless you're talking about that time worf destroyed a decloaking ship filled with corpses.

No. He's referring to the Ship of the Dead from DSC s1.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Sarcophagus?so=search
    The vessel was significantly larger than a Federation Walker-class starship and was covered with thousands of hollow, ornamental, metallic pods that were tightly interlocked to form a symbolic armor. These caskets contained a "Black Fleet" of remains of warriors, dating back as far as thousands of years.
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User

Crewed vs Fueled/Fed by the Tormented Souls of your Lower Deck Officers and BOFF's. It all works out the same. Always remember the Janeway Corollary to the Prime Directive "Article IA; "It's Not Evil If We Do It"
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    This will be my first summer event.......that I've attended.

Heard the word 'race' and 'daily' were involved and I was still recovering from the hell of the winter event, so I just skipped it.

So if the ship isn't all that I'll do the other stuff instead.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,324 Arc User

Heard the word 'race' and 'daily' were involved and I was still recovering from the hell of the winter event, so I just skipped it.

Race is a bit misleading term to describe the stuff you need to do to get the ship, as you're competing only against a rather generous timer, you typically have several minutes left in the timer even you turn in the daily. Everything else in the summer event is voluntary and there's no need to attend those if you do not wish to do so.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User

Race is a bit misleading term to describe the stuff you need to do to get the ship, as you're competing only against a rather generous timer, you typically have several minutes left in the timer even you turn in the daily. Everything else in the summer event is voluntary and there's no need to attend those if you do not wish to do so.

This was 4 years ago I'm talking about.

The winter race had to glitch for me to get through it back then (no opponent) and wouldn't do it in 2018, so I peaced out. Heard Risa had a form of race for that, so PTSD made me not go there.

If they've modified it so my console isn't going to be waving at an asteroid these days, all is well.

You don't need to defend it that hard.
    edited June 2022
    To add on to westmetals' info:

The race in Summer Event was a PvP race, and only really useful for getting stuff to trade for a Risian Monkey pet. Never counted towards the ship. Also... I think you could earn the right to ride a gold surfboard if you won first place. (Unless that's the biathalon but still... mostly bragging rights only.)

Flying High (the original thing that was done to get credit for the ship) is not a race. Its a rather casual fly around the island doing 3 out of 4 generated "tracks" then reporting back to the dock to turn in. While the lower end Floaters can make it feel like you're on the clock, higher end floaters can finish with plenty of time to spare. And ALL floaters can complete it with time to spare. You were really only racing the clock, and even that wasn't a race.

Also other parts of the Summer Event have been opened up for credit towards the ship, including the Dance Party. (Pro Tip: Pin your emote menu)
This discussion has been closed.