Options

Kael is asking for your dilithium sink ideas

Comments

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Even if this has been suggested already
    even if I personally won't do much with it

Player-housing.

These are all huge resource drains with very little return on that investment. That's why they aren't part of STO. It's the same reason why they've more less stopped making bridges for ships -- there's just not enough demand to justify the expense.

That's what they say about new fleet-holdings. Player-housing is a different beast, and tends to be popular and profitable in games that have it. FF14 and Warframe have a lot of people really committed to their housing and orbiters/dojos.

In swtor, I enjoy to customize my different appartements. I bought a lot of furnitures (I crafted some stuff to buy them as well). It is really cool of having places like that, in a game.

but a dil sink must be well thought out. the phoenix box, the upgrade system, the re-enginering system were intended to be dil sinks, and they don't work. phoenix box -> chance to have UR or EPIC tokens is equal to 0, the other systems are not interesting at all, I would pay more dil to choose my mods instead of using this biased random system. All these things create frustration, and are not incentive.

If they don't add something fun, and still use the frustration as the main tool to incite the use of the dilithium, the new dil sinks will be a failure.

they must also modify the content of the lock box. why I would like to buy zen with dil to buy a key, if i have 90% of having just a bunch of crappy items, when I open a box.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    While I feel a 3 tier won't be hated as much as a 5 tier, the biggest question would be what could a new holding offer? Right now I don't see anything that we don't already have, except maybe era variant gear like K-13.

And while I can see an expansion of the already existing trophy system being applied to housing... we might be a bit late on that bandwagon to be able to justify the expense if its tied to ship interiors.

The core issue is lack of things to do in them, but people keep proposing some things that just can't be done. You cannot just "fly your ship through sector space" from the Bridge because of how the game is set up. Your Captain turns into your ship in space maps. So you literally cannot do both. It would just turn into "wait for a timer", and people don't want "more timers".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    While I feel a 3 tier won't be hated as much as a 5 tier, the biggest question would be what could a new holding offer? Right now I don't see anything that we don't already have, except maybe era variant gear like K-13.

And while I can see an expansion of the already existing trophy system being applied to housing... we might be a bit late on that bandwagon to be able to justify the expense if its tied to ship interiors.

The core issue is lack of things to do in them, but people keep proposing some things that just can't be done. You cannot just "fly your ship through sector space" from the Bridge because of how the game is set up. Your Captain turns into your ship in space maps. So you literally cannot do both. It would just turn into "wait for a timer", and people don't want "more timers".

I suppose you could do Yorktown base style frontier base as fleet holding and tie to some sort of exploration or lower stakes storyline but I dunno if it would work.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited July 2021

The core issue is lack of things to do in them, but people keep proposing some things that just can't be done.

That's a non-argument IMO.

That kind of proposal will be thrown at devs of any game, from any community, for as long as a game exists.
    There's nothing you can do about that, other than trying to explain the obvious or plain putting the most annoying ones on a FCT-list.

Some people will never understand that your ship is your character in terms of mechanics, for example. Can't be helped.
    I still remember a forum-thread for a singleplayer-sandbox-game, one guy suggested the game would totally support multiplayer because he could sync savegame-data via SQL, back when that was (relatively) new. Hilarious, but that guy didn't accept anything against his... "theory". Even gods can't fight stupidity, as they say.

I suggested player-housing (or decorating interiors). Nothing more, nothing less. It's a hangout, either alone or with ingame-friends.
  • Options
    I'm not arguing against some form of housing. I was pointing out other things people have tried to put forward to make interiors functional.

But even putting the "fly from your bridge" subject under FCT doesn't stop people from requesting it. As you said, even gods can't fight.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    The phoenix store needs more stuff added. Add older weapons, event prizes, consoles, traits, emotes etc. Allow us to finally re-engineer lobi weapons/consoles and mission reward weapons/consoles etc. Allow us to buy bridges with dil instead of zen.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    100k Dil to kill J'Ula?!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    why the refined dil couldn't be used only to buy zen, and the dilithium ore for the upgrades, purchases (rep etc). my main has 800 000 unrefined dil (and i'm not a profesionnal grinder). give me the posiblity to use this unrefined dil, and I can tell you that everything would be spent in 1 week.
  • Options
    scottie270182#2421 scottie270182 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    In regards to plotting a course from the bridge, would it not be possible to have it act as a form of transwarp? Select a destination, watch as the stars streak by on the viewscreen to simulate travelling at warp, and then when we choose to exit the ship, it could either be parked in sector space, or dropping out of warp depending on the destination.
    "..to boldly go where no one has gone before."
  • Options
    askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    why the refined dil couldn't be used only to buy zen, and the dilithium ore for the upgrades, purchases (rep etc).

That's never going to happen. The whole reason why you have to refine dil is to limit the rate at which you can get it. If you can spend unrefined dil it loses its whole purpose.

And who do you think will use their Zen to buy your dilithium, if the only thing they can buy with it is more Zen?
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!
  • Options
    In regards to plotting a course from the bridge, would it not be possible to have it act as a form of transwarp? Select a destination, watch as the stars streak by on the viewscreen to simulate travelling at warp, and then when we choose to exit the ship, it could either be parked in sector space, or dropping out of warp depending on the destination.

Doubt it as the Bridge is its own map, separate from any other. You're asking for it to know where you are and where you want to be, when... you are on the Bridge. It can't track your location in sector space in any way because while you're on the Bridge... you are on the Bridge and do not exist anywhere else. So just like trying to "command" from the Bridge... can't be done because of technical limitations.

Not only that... we already can transwarp from anywhere pretty much. Why add one more load screen to load a map, and probably load a new map based on destination.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Obviously you DO exist somewhere else, because the game has to know where you are to put you back when you leave the ship's interior.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Obviously you DO exist somewhere else, because the game has to know where you are to put you back when you leave the ship's interior.​​

IIRC when you return from your bridge you don't spawn where your character was but where closest spawn point is on ground besides it's only a matter recording where you were when you beamed to your bridge. The system as programmed currently cannot track your ship unless you're on a space map (including sector space). Changing that exit point while on another map could cause issues which was what Rattler was referring to.

Besides using your Bridge to transwarp would either be ignored by most people (if optional) or would cause massive rage and complaint (not massive by forum standards but by IRL standards) as you just added a pointless loading screen to be able to transwarp (in you made visiting you bridge the only way to use transwarp).
  • Options
    archbetharchbeth Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    If any of the retired missions work at all, or with minimal tweaking, use Dilithium to unlock them as "bootleg holodeck training programs" at Drozana or DS9 -- yeah, they're buggy. You have to agree that you will not hold Quark/Drozana-guy liable for any bugs you encounter, cough up Dilithium to buy a Holodeck Latinum Token, and unlock the thing. Possibly per-character, though once unlocked, a given mission should probably stay unlocked.

Dev Requirements:
    • Put in a door to the Holosuites somewhere on Drozana and DS9.
    • Create a vendor to sell (unlock) individual missions.
    • Put in a mission selection screen there. (Including "Remember, these are bootleg. Glitches are not Quark Enterprises' responsibility.") Unlocked missions can be accessed there, and locked ones might be visible, or you might have to go buy them from a Ferengi.
    • Possibly you can buy Holodeck Latinum Tokens and give them to other people? Probably make them Account Bound at worst?
    • See which retired missions can be played through successfully. Use those.
    • Determine whether "bootleg" missions would give experience for anything. (Or salvage/dilithium/GPL for some special case abilities/equipped doffs.) Maybe they don't! That's okay!

In theory, a fast way to give content that people may want to revisit, or see how it went if it was retired before they started playing, which requires minimal revamping (if any), and a minor Dilithium sink.

(This theory founders immediately if there aren't a half-dozen retired missions that will work with virtually no tweaking, of course.)

Edit: Oh, oh, put everyone's tutorial missions in here! I would love to re-run some tutorials and sight-see more in them. Plus it would be hilarious (to me) to be sending a Jem'Hadar through the Disco-era tutorial.
    (And it would give six missions right off the bat that do work visually.)
  • Options
    archbetharchbeth Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Another Dilithium option that I hope I haven't missed in skimming the thread:

Upgrading Bridge Officers in quality to Purple.

I am a silly creature and am attached to most of my original Bridge Officers from the tutorial, but objectively... I shouldn't be dragging Satra around with me when I could have a purple-quality stranger. But I don't want a stranger! I want Satra! (Cue the chibi riov clinging to a chibi Satra.)

If they could make a way to upgrade Bridge Officer quality, probably via upgrade tokens bought with Dil... Would I be upgrading Satra? (boom, I'm dilithium-poor again, yes) I might even upgrade poor Kolez, eventually, after I upgrade some early, cheap boffs I bought when I was new and foolish, and got attached to 'em.
  • Options
    The ability to upgrade BOff traits might be nice...
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    The whole boff system needs to be completely overhauled - upgradable boffs, swappable traits, kit and mod slots, a second weapon slot and a complete change to how they learn new powers - I don't like having to spend tens of millions of EC replacing expensive powers like kemocite or subspace vortex when I swap to a new boff...if I can even GET another copy off the Exchange - getting such a power should put it permanently into a library of such powers for that character, and then you can infinitely train any number of boffs in it from then on, for a reasonable fee of whatever...could be expertise, EC, dilithium - hell, it could be ALL of those depending on what type of power you're training.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
  • Options
    scottie270182#2421 scottie270182 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Doubt it as the Bridge is its own map, separate from any other. You're asking for it to know where you are and where you want to be, when... you are on the Bridge. It can't track your location in sector space in any way because while you're on the Bridge... you are on the Bridge and do not exist anywhere else. So just like trying to "command" from the Bridge... can't be done because of technical limitations.
    Except that can’t be the case since the game remembers our exact location when entering the ship, as it not only returns us to the exact same spot, it even puts us back on the same instance. All I’m envisioning is the ability to override that information using the transwarp button.
    Not only that... we already can transwarp from anywhere pretty much. Why add one more load screen to load a map, and probably load a new map based on destination.
    Since those of us who use the bridge would already be on the ship though, there would only be one loading screen when exiting the ship. As it is now, I already have to go through two of them if I’m visiting my ship beforehand.

Of course, I’m coming at this purely from an immersion standpoint as opposed to a technical one. No matter where our character is aboard the ship, the idea would be to click the transwarp button and pretend we’re ordering the helmsman to set a new course. From there, we could sit back and enjoy the simulated journey, aided by the visual cue of stars streaking by the windows and viewscreen.

The best part is that TNG and Discovery versions of those effects already exist thanks to the tutorials, so depending on your officer’s faction, it would only need connecting to the transwarp button.

Even a small amount of functionality could open up the desire to customize each ships interior as well. Imagine flying a Nebula-class and being able to replace the Galaxy-class exterior on the Enterprise-D bridge, or switch the LCARS to show the Galaxy-X-class like the bridge of the U.S.S. de Witt in Mars, the Bringer of War.

Of course, it’s all pie in the sky anyway since the key location of every Star Trek series is deemed to be so unimportant. For a game in its eleventh year, the fact we still don’t have interior options from Enterprise-A or the Enterprise-E is really telling.
    "..to boldly go where no one has gone before."
  • Options
    askatus wrote: »
    why the refined dil couldn't be used only to buy zen, and the dilithium ore for the upgrades, purchases (rep etc).

That's never going to happen. The whole reason why you have to refine dil is to limit the rate at which you can get it. If you can spend unrefined dil it loses its whole purpose.

And who do you think will use their Zen to buy your dilithium, if the only thing they can buy with it is more Zen?

they can add stuff only buyable with refined dil, if you don't have the time to grind, you will be happy to buy refined dil with your zen.
    if they can't find a way to wipe out all the stockpiled dil, their future dil sink will be a waste of time.
    A lot of players have tons of unrefined dil, and with a 8000 dil per day, it takes time to use all of this unrefined dil. I can earn 8000 unrefined dil per day to replace the 8000 refined, daily. So, the total of my unrefined dil is always the same. because the dilex is dead, and because there was nothing interesing to buy in the c-store (before the death of the dilex); I personally don't care about the ships, a trashcan is enough to do the borg tfos for the thousandth time .

more choices in the c-store would be interesting (ground weapons, costumes etc), with 2 choices:

- you can buy them with refined dil but they are bound to character, or
    - you can buy them with zen in the c-store, and are bound to account.

A lot of players don't want or can't put in game money.
    And of course, dilithium should more difficult to earn, because currently the whole game is totally flooded by all the available dilithium. <- i'm not happy to write this sentence.

And cryptic has a huge problem: they only want instant profits; promo stuff, bundles, lockbox, and they forget the small profits that they could do.
  • Options
    vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    > @rattler2 said:
    > The ability to upgrade BOff traits might be nice...

Ye, but why delithium ? Do they eat it to become stronger ?
  • Options
    vanhyo wrote: »

No... it would just be one way to pay for "advanced training" for said BOffs.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    vanhyo wrote: »
    > @rattler2 said:
    > The ability to upgrade BOff traits might be nice...

Because most things require dilithium to do. Like for example, you need it to requisition them, you need it to do non-phoenix upgrades, Re-engineering, buying ships...

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    Two things people want cosmetics ie uniforms, weapons, vanity items for their captains and ships and playable factions, have people spend DIL to join the Borg Collective, Terran Empire or even a real Dominion faction that has playerable Vortas and Changelings, sure you can do that with uniforms and a well written bio but it's the not same as having the real thing, take Alien-Gen Cardassians and real Cardassians, sure one's cheaper but you won't get the same racial benefits as the real ones and I know they might not do new factions, but it's one of the reasons why I play STO, I like making new characters and seeing how NPCs and the rest of the universe react to them.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    thay8472 wrote: »
    100k Dil to kill J'Ula?!

I would pay that to the Tal'Shiar to kill off Tovan and remove him from my Romulan crew!
    Nice we got bounties, I would raise some of the prices, 100 dil seems pretty low for these high valued targets, if anything Madren the Ferengi is worth 100 Dil since he's not really worth much to kill, I would put Sela and J'Ula 500 Dil each, Tovan would be 300 Dil at the minimum, I don't know how much Kurland's price would have been but I'm pretty sure someone killed him, he's been awfully quite lately.
  • Options
    I don't know how much Kurland's price would have been but I'm pretty sure someone killed him, he's been awfully quite lately.

Actually... Kurland is voiced by a member of the Dev Team. But unfortunately he's not licensed, I think its by the SAG or something, like the big name actors we got in game so he can't record new lines for Kurland. Its a bunch of legal mumbo Jumbo that basically says that he can't do VO work in the game anymore unless he joins the Guild or some such.
  • Options
    ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I don't know if this has been suggested yet but what about trasding Dilithium for savage bundles. I'm always running out of savage for re-engineering and earning it in the 10's of thousands can be a slow time consuming process.

https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2021
    I don't know if this has been suggested yet but what about trasding Dilithium for savage bundles. I'm always running out of savage for re-engineering and earning it in the 10's of thousands can be a slow time consuming process.

This might be something they'd consider, as it wouldn't offer gear, just salvage directly, it also wouldn't hurt R&D packs.

Perhaps Kael might pass this on. For maybe (two or three days refinement) they offer X salvage, or for (7 days or more) refinement they offer X+Y salvage. Still people need to choose where or when to put their DIL toward, like they do in all things.

Still I hope he's encouraging DEVs read thru this forum, and maybe follows up in several days later in a meeting to discuss what they all thought of each idea. As everyone will likely see something different about suggested idea's.

@ambassadorkael#6946
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
This discussion has been closed.