test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will we be getting the California class as a playable ship?

124»

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    spiritborn wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    'I'll bet you credits to Navy Beans' that there is currency. ;)
    Honestly I think the "no money" is more like propaganda where you got "currency" but that's not "real money" because "money" may have been tainted as a term during World War III.

Kind of like how Starfleet is a military pretty much everything but name. The term "military" seems have been defined as "conquering army" in UFP rather just "organized men in arms".

Well, we don't see federation folks worried about bills, taxes, or trying to make the rent.

To me, that's no money in Federation. B)
    I think they have money but it's only used for "luxuries"

To be honest we don't really see what civilian life is like in the Federation, of the 9 series we have only 1 (Picard) really focuses on that at all, for the rest our main cast is either Starfleet (and thus would provided by the Federation Goverment) or not members of the Federations like Quark.
  • Options
    iirc, DS9 was the closest we got to seeing civilian life in any continual capacity. while not centered on that aspect, it was more prevalent in the series. i could be wrong, but thats what i remember.

Still our PoV characters were Starfleet officers in essentially a Starfleet Facility so things like bills or rent would taken take of by the Federation government, really only thing that Starfleet officer working on DS9 would have worry at all would be taxes and those probably are quite low anyway seeing as UFP provides most if all essentials for them.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Well... we know Kirk had either an apartment or some kind of home thanks to WoK, and we know it has a nice view.
    3881f1e3f53000273c3398dd9ac0abf8.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    According to throwaway dialog in the shows themselves (like the one where they picked up late 20th and early 21st century people from that freeze station. I forget the name of the episode offhand) and background material like Roddenberry's interviews and convention talks, Federation citizens (at least ones on the core worlds anyway) have their basic needs taken care of already so the only thing credits are needed for are luxuries, buying things from foreign nations, and materials for personal projects.

It is part of the post-scarcity economy, there is plenty to go around and the hording of things (including money) is strongly discouraged by peer pressure. Most people live light since anything they need is as close as the nearest replicator, and too many possessions makes travel and whatnot unnecessarily complicated.

Freed of economic oppression people are able to pursue their dreams, indulge their curiosity and learn/discover things, craft things (there seems to be a brisk craft trade), tweak inventions, and generally do what they are best at to contribute to the greater good. Some of those dreams and aspirations require more than a single person can manage and organizations like Starfleet exist which take a lot more effort and commitment (and are often dangerous) but bring the opportunity to do and see truly exceptional things.

I know, it all seems weird and unlikely today, but sci-fi is speculative fiction and given a true post-scarcity economy, especially after the extreme grief and hardships of WWIII turning people away from the causes of that war, namely old-school greed and power seeking, such a near-utopian society could reasonably exist.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Martha and Dr. Thomas Leighton's house, 'Conscience of the King'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    'I'll bet you credits to Navy Beans' that there is currency. ;)
    Honestly I think the "no money" is more like propaganda where you got "currency" but that's not "real money" because "money" may have been tainted as a term during World War III.

Kind of like how Starfleet is a military pretty much everything but name. The term "military" seems have been defined as "conquering army" in UFP rather just "organized men in arms".
    Well, we don't see federation folks worried about bills, taxes, or trying to make the rent.

I think they have money but it's only used for "luxuries"
    To be honest we don't really see what civilian life is like in the Federation, of the 9 series we have only 1 (Picard) really focuses on that at all, for the rest our main cast is either Starfleet (and thus would provided by the Federation Goverment) or not members of the Federations like Quark.
    Wel, I mean... places like Turkana IV exist. That says things about the Federation that well... kinda make you wonder how much of the utopia talk is empty talk.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    According to throwaway dialog in the shows themselves (like the one where they picked up late 20th and early 21st century people from that freeze station. I forget the name of the episode offhand) and background material like Roddenberry's interviews and convention talks, Federation citizens (at least ones on the core worlds anyway) have their basic needs taken care of already so the only thing credits are needed for are luxuries, buying things from foreign nations, and materials for personal projects.

It is part of the post-scarcity economy, there is plenty to go around and the hording of things (including money) is strongly discouraged by peer pressure. Most people live light since anything they need is as close as the nearest replicator, and too many possessions makes travel and whatnot unnecessarily complicated.

Freed of economic oppression people are able to pursue their dreams, indulge their curiosity and learn/discover things, craft things (there seems to be a brisk craft trade), tweak inventions, and generally do what they are best at to contribute to the greater good. Some of those dreams and aspirations require more than a single person can manage and organizations like Starfleet exist which take a lot more effort and commitment (and are often dangerous) but bring the opportunity to do and see truly exceptional things.

I know, it all seems weird and unlikely today, but sci-fi is speculative fiction and given a true post-scarcity economy, especially after the extreme grief and hardships of WWIII turning people away from the causes of that war, namely old-school greed and power seeking, such a near-utopian society could reasonably exist.

Those in power, now HATE that idea. I feel it's often maintained, artificially. Remember the so-called 'energy crisis' of the 1970's?

Heck, like George Carlin said, "They want you just smart enough to run the machines, and do the paperwork, but dumb enough to passively accept it."

Or, like the say in the medical community, 'A patient cured is a customer lost'.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited August 2020

Except there are some instances where money was, in fact, mentioned or implied by Starfleet-officers.

Kirk once had a line about the federation having expended "a lot" (presumably a lot of money) for their training.

Scotty in STVI: "I just bought a boat" (it might have been a metaphorical joke though).

Riker asks Picard to bring a Hor'gahn from Risa. It's unclear if these need to be bought, but clearly you will also not just get one simply because you are on Risa.

On DS9 it often looks like the Starfleet-officers DO have to pay for what they buy on the promenade. They just don't usually give out cash, because it's probably an electronic form of currency.

Janeway's farm that came up a few times in the first few seasons of VOY. She actually said something about money in that regard.

Well anyway... to get back to the actual topic: I'd really like to see what Cryptic have in mind for a trait and a console on her.

• Options
    Well anyway... to get back to the actual topic: I'd really like to see what Cryptic have in mind for a trait and a console on her.
    You something that I'd think would fit the tone of the series would be a console, that when activated would boost your shields and movement speed but disabled your weapons. That would practical in-game too as a "lets get the hell out of here" option should you need it.

I got no idea for a trait though.

• Options
    starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    As long as it's not an infinity promo ship!
    If it could be one of the new scalable T6 system ships and on the Cstore that would be cool. or an event win through dailys.

It'd be nice to see some of the picard era romulan ships too.
    Hopefully Lower Decks sees more ships in their adventures too and I'm sure we'll get something awesome out of the new season of disco which its future setting.
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • Options
    As long as it's not an infinity promo ship!
    If it could be one of the new scalable T6 system ships and on the Cstore that would be cool. or an event win through dailys.

It'd be nice to see some of the picard era romulan ships too.
    Hopefully Lower Decks sees more ships in their adventures too and I'm sure we'll get something awesome out of the new season of disco which its future setting.

I agree with you on the first bit.

Well..we got A picard ship, the new legendary T'Liss. Works nice, I got one.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    We did, and I love it, that ship being in STO is why I watched Picard because the TOS warbird has always been my favourite ship. Sadly its only in it for a flash, but those modern romulan ships, well not very romulan-y to me are pretty cool and could be fun to fly. Especially those snakehead? ones that could be pilot ships.
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • Options
    We did, and I love it, that ship being in STO is why I watched Picard because the TOS warbird has always been my favourite ship. Sadly its only in it for a flash, but those modern romulan ships, well not very romulan-y to me are pretty cool and could be fun to fly. Especially those snakehead? ones that could be pilot ships.

Got a lot of pieces and skins to play with in the ship customizing. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Well..we got A picard ship, the new legendary T'Liss. Works nice, I got one.

La Sirena is also in game... as a promo. And until the Fed ship is made, the Avenger is a pretty close analog.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Well the 3 versions: Engineering, Medical, & Command have already been discussed so they could go the route of making 3 slightly different versions probably differentiated by: modified console slotting, BOFF seating, ship abilities, &/or give the Medical a secondary-deflector, or the easier route of just 1 ship with 3 different paint-jobs.

I think Cryptic should make the ship as close to looking animated/cartoonish as possible for distinction & humor.

I agree they should use the cartoonish style. It might make it easier on the Devs. They have to have the Warp Engine Larvae on the Warp Nacelle during Sector Space Travel however and the ship should suffer from periodic random light fluctuations on the windows and Warp Nacelles to keep it accurate.

This would of course necessitate them making a Cartoon Bridge with show NPCs populating it.......
  • Options
    That depends... does the Excelsior's built in Transwarp functionality periodically fail like when it was first released?
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > That depends... does the Excelsior's built in Transwarp functionality periodically fail like when it was first released?

IIRC there was/is a low chance for the Excelsior's transwarp to fail, low enough that it's not a major downside though.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > That depends... does the Excelsior's built in Transwarp functionality periodically fail like when it was first released?

IIRC there was/is a low chance for the Excelsior's transwarp to fail, low enough that it's not a major downside though.

If there was one then it is gone now.
This discussion has been closed.