test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will we be getting the California class as a playable ship?

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    > @angrytarg said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Then again, the class is meant to come in a three-pack since behind the scenes info states there are three variants of it, one for each department. It really is perfect for a store release. And of course it'll be a T6 because it's a hero ship and people want to play the game with it.​​

And it's really matter what Cryptic thinks is the best return of investment, if people weren't buying r&d boxes they wouldn't make those.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    So, next year they bump up the Legendary Bundle to 12 ships adding the La Sirena and the (not so heroic) Cerritos and raise the price to 34,750 Zen.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Honestly I think people are getting ahead of themselves with the speculation.
    Lets just wait and see what they do and not just say "Oh we know what they're gonna do" when we actually don't. Until something is actually said or released, statements like that are about as credable as certain YouTubers "opinions" on the state of Trek.
    WE don't know anything. We can speculate, and have opinions. But it is not fact as if we have hidden insider information.
    All we know is that the California Class will most likely make its way into STO. How it will... we don't know.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    p331 wrote: »
    My guess is that it would be a R&D Promo ship.

*throws one of her stiletto heel pumps at you*

QUIET, YOUS!!!!! :|

No violence in the forums, please.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    Whoever designed these ships has zero working knowledge on how a starship works. There are no impulse engines. I cannot find any warp core in the primary hull, but I do see what looks like three of them inside each of the nacelles. Turbolifts can't go diagonally, only up and down, right, left, forward and backward. The only way to get that to work on this ship is to tilt the lift; but even if we do tilt it, there's no room to perform that. Look at the MSD: http://blog.trekcore.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/cerritos-msd.jpg That turbolift shaft should be the main plasma feeder line from the warp core to the nacelles.

According to the ship's designers, Cerritos is supposed to be based on the Miranda/Reliant class starships. What I see is a crapfest of 100% failure. Where's Scotty when you need him?

Whatever, right? Cerritos will fit right in with the worst fail-boats of all time made by Cryptic = https://www.google.com/search?q=the+worst+ship+designs+in+star+trek+online
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    thetanine wrote: »
    Whoever designed these ships has zero working knowledge on how a starship works. There are no impulse engines. I cannot find any warp core in the primary hull, but I do see what looks like three of them inside each of the nacelles. Turbolifts can't go diagonally, only up and down, right, left, forward and backward. The only way to get that to work on this ship is to tilt the lift; but even if we do tilt it, there's no room to perform that. Look at the MSD: http://blog.trekcore.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/cerritos-msd.jpg That turbolift shaft should be the main plasma feeder line from the warp core to the nacelles.

According to the ship's designers, Cerritos is supposed to be based on the Miranda/Reliant class starships. What I see is a crapfest of 100% failure. Where's Scotty when you need him?

Whatever, right? Cerritos will fit right in with the worst fail-boats of all time made by Cryptic = https://www.google.com/search?q=the+worst+ship+designs+in+star+trek+online

Um...remember the Nebula Class?
    350?cb=20080823195523&path-prefix=en
    ^^^
    Please show me where Doug Drexler (or whomever on the TNG production staff who came up with the design) put the Impulse engines? ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited August 2020
    Please show me where Doug Drexler (or whomever on the TNG production staff who came up with the design) put the Impulse engines? ;)

extended_survey_by_robcaswell_ddw7wh4-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD03NjIiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC83OTVkM2U0OC04NDMyLTRjN2ItYjUxYS04MGI2MDE0YzU3Y2JcL2Rkdzd3aDQtZjgwY2Q5MmEtMzY1Yy00NWM1LWJlOTAtZTIzMTE0Mzg0Mzc0LmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjUwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.CoH3hfOS5QlkNYaL7FTU3mtnopFg_etM_K1UcJhL8lM
    https://www.deviantart.com/robcaswell/art/Extended-Survey-840176680.jpg

NEB-LC24.png
    The exact same place they are on the Galaxy-classes' Primary Hull. Follow that line on this MSD labeled "Impulse Engines".

P.S. I love you! :wink::blush:

P.S.S. The Nebula-class you placed the pic of is moving at warp speed. That's why you don't see the exhaust coming from its impulse engines. You can tell it's at warp by the doppler-shifted starlight (the rainbow-colored streak of light above the ship).

Edited for: Great Justice!
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
    They show up on the MSD. But NOT on the physical model.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The Connie, Ambassador and Excelsior at least all had diagonal turbolifts in the neck/pylons as well, didn't they?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    rattler2 wrote: »
    They show up on the MSD. But NOT on the physical model.
    You realize the Nebula is the made out of Galaxy-class parts, right? Look at the Galaxy's impulse engines on its Primary Hull. That's the roundy part. The BIG roundy part on top.

STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The Connie, Ambassador and Excelsior at least all had diagonal turbolifts in the neck/pylons as well, didn't they?​​

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Constitution_class_decks

latest?cb=20110412104334&path-prefix=en

Turbolift shafts are never diagonal. Even in wack-a-doodle ST:D they have rounded corners, but they always go in straight lines like every other Starfleet vessel.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
    edited August 2020
    84T7kdKWQZW3O-w59qy2qPzIlgdx0b3yng2z4mDh1Gg.jpg?auto=webp&s=c0e30d9831e150b3fede0301f4fe73af5cb9b64f

https://external-preview.redd.it/84T7kdKWQZW3O-w59qy2qPzIlgdx0b3yng2z4mDh1Gg.jpg?auto=webp&s=c0e30d9831e150b3fede0301f4fe73af5cb9b64f

You can follow the primary plasma feeder lines from the warp core to the nacelles. Plus turbolift shafts gallor =D
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
    Thank you for treating me like a total idiot who doesn't know what part is what... -_-
    I AM FULLY AWARE WHAT THE PRIMARY HULL IS!
    I am also aware what the Secondary Hull is, what a Phaser Array is, what a Deflector Dish is... and the fact that the Nebula has a very awkwardly placed Shuttlebay.

I am just stating that the Nebula, while using Galaxy parts, is using MODIFIED Galaxy parts.
    nebula-christies1.jpg
    Notice anything different about this model?
    nebula-christies2.jpg
    THERE YOU GO! It doesn't have the exact same Impule Engines as the Galaxy class up there. They are TINY! And they don't glow like all the others. Do you see lights on that physical model?
    allgoodthings1533.jpg
    The ones on the Galaxy class are rather visible. Complete with a little cut out for them. Something that doesn't exist on the Nebula.

Also...
    thetanine wrote: »

P.S.S. The Nebula-class you placed the pic of is moving at warp speed. That's why you don't see the exhaust coming from its impulse engines. You can tell it's at warp by the doppler-shifted starlight (the rainbow-colored streak of light above the ship).

img5.jpg
    While not the best shot... that's the Enterprise at warp... and it looks like the Impulse Engine is still active. Its that glowy red stripe on the neck connecting that round bit on top to the flatter bit. ;)
    If that's not enough...
    latest?cb=20190403001631&path-prefix=en
    Ent-E at warp. Impulse Engines clearly still active.
    fc2b9b4bc01c719aaba31fb7c6f454f3.png
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
    Is... a fan render supposed to be more official than the actual filming model used in TNG and Generations, and the basis of the CG model used later?
    Because I fail to see how a fan render helps your case.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    To be fair, the Nebula was never meant to be a foreground model so it wasn't fully wired and lit, or even completely surface detailed. Those tiny vents where the impulse engines are on the MSD are probably meant to be the edge of the impulse outlet, not the whole thing, and there probably would have been a glow taking up some or all of the smooth featureless strip between that vent "edge" and some point closer to the centerline if they needed it for some shot.

Also, since they retroactively changed "impulse" from the simple emergency matter/antimatter rocket system used in TOS to the "gravity impulse" in the production of TNG those glowy vents wouldn't necessarily have to be at the balance point or point aft anyway though they still design ships that way for the show.

On a more solid note, the Cerritos is not the only ship that would need angled (or even weirder) turbolift shaft arraignments to function. In fact the poster child for weird turbolift araingements is the Oberth, in order for a turbolift to get to the "canoe" part of the hull the car has to turn completely sideways and follow the curve of the struts down like a soda can in a vending machine.

And turbolifts have their own gravity, so turning at an angle, or even completely on its side is not a problem for the passengers. This clip shows what happens when those compensators are not working up to specs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8dKbEzKuh8
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/08/star-trek-lower-decks-roundup-cerritos-design-new-posters-ready-room/
    The ship is in great condition. It’s a California-class ship, which has always existed in Starfleet — [this is] what we’re saying — that they’re the utility support ships. In the California-class [line], there are three types of hull painting: there’s blue, red, and yellow.

We’ve extended the visual metaphor of the uniforms to the ships, and the Cerritos has yellow on the hull because it’s primarily a second contact engineering ship. They show up to planets that need engineering stuff done on them in order to be able to communicate with the Federation.

There’s also, you’ll see in the show, blue-hulled California class ships, which are usually deployed to places where there has to be more medical expertise, and red-hulled ships that are like for moving around ambassadors and doing more command-level stuff.
    Three-ship Bundle confirmed! ;)

Oh that makes some sort of sense pig-1.gif

I'm looking forward for the uniforms and ships of the show. As to the question, of course it will be T6 because that is just the only relevant ship tier left. And people would want to play with their "hero" ship during the whole game, not just ten levels. Almost every single ship is T6, whether it's a ENT-era museum piece or future tech from the 29th century. Ship tiers do not exist in-lore, it's just gameplay.

EDIT: Although it'd be funny. Did you catch that in the Lower Decks intro cinematic, the ship is actually turning around and running from a battle? pig-2.gif​​

Yep, a couple shots to the shields, and "That's above our paygrade! Exit, warp one!"
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/08/star-trek-lower-decks-roundup-cerritos-design-new-posters-ready-room/
    The ship is in great condition. It’s a California-class ship, which has always existed in Starfleet — [this is] what we’re saying — that they’re the utility support ships. In the California-class [line], there are three types of hull painting: there’s blue, red, and yellow.

We’ve extended the visual metaphor of the uniforms to the ships, and the Cerritos has yellow on the hull because it’s primarily a second contact engineering ship. They show up to planets that need engineering stuff done on them in order to be able to communicate with the Federation.

There’s also, you’ll see in the show, blue-hulled California class ships, which are usually deployed to places where there has to be more medical expertise, and red-hulled ships that are like for moving around ambassadors and doing more command-level stuff.
    Three-ship Bundle confirmed! ;)

Oh that makes some sort of sense pig-1.gif

I'm looking forward for the uniforms and ships of the show. As to the question, of course it will be T6 because that is just the only relevant ship tier left. And people would want to play with their "hero" ship during the whole game, not just ten levels. Almost every single ship is T6, whether it's a ENT-era museum piece or future tech from the 29th century. Ship tiers do not exist in-lore, it's just gameplay.

EDIT: Although it'd be funny. Did you catch that in the Lower Decks intro cinematic, the ship is actually turning around and running from a battle? pig-2.gif​​

Yep, a couple shots to the shields, and "That's above our paygrade! Exit, warp one!"

there is no money in the federation.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    p331 wrote: »
    My guess is that it would be a R&D Promo ship.

*throws one of her stiletto heel pumps at you*

QUIET, YOUS!!!!! :|

ROFL! Smoke, you're always good for a laugh :)

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    there is no money in the federation.

There is no money on earth, but there sure is currency in the Federation (in both TOS and TAS and beyond)​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'I'll bet you credits to Navy Beans' that there is currency. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    I'm just here to laugh at the folks who talk about "working knowledge" of a completely fictional technology that doesn't even have a basis in what we know of physics.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    FYI -The USS Cerretos in the actual show (unlike any of the Nebula Class ships as shown in ACTUAL TNG, DS9, VOY episodes) does have working Impulse Enines shown on the hull:
    stld-trailer1-004-640x360.jpg

^^^
    They are UNDERNEATH the Saucer section. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Honestly I think the "no money" is more like propaganda where you got "currency" but that's not "real money" because "money" may have been tainted as a term during World War III.

Kind of like how Starfleet is a military pretty much everything but name. The term "military" seems have been defined as "conquering army" in UFP rather just "organized men in arms".
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Honestly I think the "no money" is more like propaganda where you got "currency" but that's not "real money" because "money" may have been tainted as a term during World War III.

Kind of like how Starfleet is a military pretty much everything but name. The term "military" seems have been defined as "conquering army" in UFP rather just "organized men in arms".

Well, we don't see federation folks worried about bills, taxes, or trying to make the rent.

To me, that's no money in Federation. B)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

Well, we don't see federation folks worried about bills, taxes, or trying to make the rent.

To me, that's no money in Federation. B)
    I think they have money but it's only used for "luxuries"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.