test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

🔥🔥🔥 "The Year of Klingon" 🔥🔥🔥

Comments

• Options
    furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    Yeah, it looks like they decreased the overall... ambient lighting? Is that the right word? Looks nice with all those changes.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Is it night or is Qo'noS perpetually cloudy due to Praxis?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Is it night or is Qo'noS perpetually cloudy due to Praxis?

If the Praxis explosion put so much dust in the air, or even in orbit, to significantly darken the planet even several centuries after the event then Qo'nos would be an iceball.

It really does not take much to significantly drop the temperature. For instance, on Earth volcanoes have blown enough dust into the air to cool the environment (in fact there was no summer in 1816 after a series of six very big eruptions in seven years culminated by the truly massive explosion of mount Tambora in 1815) yet they days looked normal for the most part, and the only visual indication (besides snow in July and August of course) was the very spectacular sunsets.

If the interiors of Klingon ships are anything to go by then Qo'nos may be in a fairly close orbit of an M type star where they get so much more infrared in the spectrum that the surface might look a bit dim but still be warm and very damp. The thing is, the Klingons would probably see a little further into the infrared part of the spectrum to compensate so it would not look dim to them (which is something that is actually in fanon since the 1980s though as far as I know of nothing has been said in the show itself until DSC with the reference to the thermal sensor pits in the ridges).

Of course if Star Trek was to actually take things like that into account then Orions on Qo'nos would probably have to use flashlights at noon since their vision supposedly goes the other direction (similar to what is sometimes called "bee vision") so they can see into the lower end of the ultraviolet but are blind to a lot of the red end.

There have also been references that indicate that Qo'nos has a lot of jungle or similar terrain with short sightlines, which may explain the Klingon preference for melee weapons (which makes the desert valley depiction of the KDF academy seem off btw, though it could be located in the center of the burn and the environment may not have quite recovered there).
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    So, here's a common thing I've seen mentioned on both Twitter, Facebook and the STO subreddit: Qo'noS needs a revamp, mostly all saying the same thing, that Qo'noS is poorly laid out.

However, according to a tweet that Al Rivera replied, a Qo'noS revamp is possibly in the cards, but their focus right now is doing the tutorial and the first arc. Their main limitation here is the fact they're remotely working from home still.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Would be a 2nd revamp. I like it how it is; but then again the 1st release version was really unimpressive.

So... new lighting still can't handle day/night? No hope for Risa *sigh*

Anybody knows if the ship-interiors will get an overhaul? They do look better with l2.0 turned off the last time I checked:

L2.0
    screenshot-2017-02-22-08-58-11.jpg

no L2.0
    screenshot-2017-02-22-08-57-42.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I think KDF might get their own version of the Fed Origin bridge. On one of the streams they were showcasing some before/after shots of environments, mostly the Kitomer Conference Center, but also had some ship interior shots from the revamped tutorial. After they revamped the Fed one, we got the Origin bridge, so I see no reason why we won't see a KDF Origin bridge. And hopefully they are going to extend the revamp to the rest of the interior as well.

Also the day/night cycle was a casualty of Lighting 2.0 if I remember correctly. Something they can't seem to solve. Unfortunately its gonna be one of those "gonna just have to let it go" things.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think KDF might get their own version of the Fed Origin bridge. On one of the streams they were showcasing some before/after shots of environments, mostly the Kitomer Conference Center, but also had some ship interior shots from the revamped tutorial. After they revamped the Fed one, we got the Origin bridge, so I see no reason why we won't see a KDF Origin bridge. And hopefully they are going to extend the revamp to the rest of the interior as well.

Also the day/night cycle was a casualty of Lighting 2.0 if I remember correctly. Something they can't seem to solve. Unfortunately its gonna be one of those "gonna just have to let it go" things.
    Given that the bridge is just the bridge, and its the same used in many missions, I would be shocked if at least the bridge didn't get a revamp.... given that it already is anyways.

As for the rest of the ship interior, maybe. I don't remember if the ship interior used in the tutorial is a direct copy paste of the normal Klingon ship interior. If so, then maybe. It might not either way given that no one uses ship interiors, so Cryptic may see no reason to do it.

Honestly, I'm more surprised they haven't just disabled ship interiors on PC at this point.

Probably because a lot of people actually do use at least the bridge and ready room, though I doubt many use the rest of the interior (if their particular ship even has one). Among other things, the bridge usually has access to some doff missions and other little details that are a pain in the posterior to access elsewhere in the game and some ships, like the Ferengi and Suliban ships, have even more amenities. One of the fleets I am in uses the bridges quite often as a kind of mini meeting place so it is a convenience as well.

The problem the devs have in making new ones is not really that no one uses them, it is that few people use them enough that they will pay as much as a new T6 ship to buy one instead of a ship.

Also they are a good place to get the feel of the mindset the ship was built for (the Lukari bridge is a very good example of that for instance) and can be a nice place to decompress a bit after an intense string of TFOs, though I know that particular aspect is of no interest to those who don't do any roleplay at all or just exit the game for a while to decompress.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Many new Ships have no Ready Room. No wonder so many people do not do well in TFOs. They're not ready for it. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I find myself prefering older designs because I want a proper internal layout. Curently switch between Chargh and B'rel and I do enjoy going into my ship and doing the brig, chef and bartender assignments while looking at my wall of ships in the mess.

One of the things I hate about the Khitomer is the basic and TRIBBLE bridge.
  • Options
    I find myself prefering older designs because I want a proper internal layout. Curently switch between Chargh and B'rel and I do enjoy going into my ship and doing the brig, chef and bartender assignments while looking at my wall of ships in the mess.

There was talk about the Khitomer shipped with just a default bridge because they ran out of time, but they were going to link others to it or make a new one for a scenario that could be linked in eventually.
  • Options
    furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User

I use the Koloth, myself, as it feels more befitting a large carrier craft. :)
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    Unless I missed it, There has not been a Stovokor Saturday announcement today. I was hoping for one.

But a “ledgendary” Romulan “exclusive” ship is pretty exciting—assuming the price is not too exorbitant. Hopefully the KDF can get an updated BOP eventually, too!
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    Unless I missed it, There has not been a Stovokor Saturday announcement today. I was hoping for one.

But a “ledgendary” Romulan “exclusive” ship is pretty exciting—assuming the price is not too exorbitant. Hopefully the KDF can get an updated BOP eventually, too!

It was only posted on the German account:

Feels more like "filler" than a real attempt at showing content though :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Cool! Rura Penthe Dilithium mines! Good thing made up place names do not need translation! Thanks for finding that!
  • Options
    revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    Rura Penthe looking nice. Now all we need is an update to Ganalda Station.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    This was posted today. Be sure to listen to the audio:

https://rorysfirstharvest.wixsite.com/klg1/blank

It was preceded by a puzzle on twitter that eventually led to the link above:

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I’m getting excited! I hope this content comes before the Risa event. It seems like they finished it.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I’m getting excited! I hope this content comes before the Risa event. It seems like they finished it.

Well looks finished and is finished are too very different things, generally "art" is the easiest part of making things for games and what we've been shown thus far is just art assets. There's no way of knowing how far they're on things they're not showing us.
  • Options
    > @spiritborn said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Well looks finished and is finished are too very different things, generally "art" is the easiest part of making things for games and what we've been shown thus far is just art assets. There's no way of knowing how far they're on things they're not showing us.

Abe Lincoln clues dropped a week before the episode. We know they already recorded the voice acting for the new event/episode.

Generally they tend to record dialogue last—because the episode needs to be written to record—and there is little point to pay a voice actor if they aren’t confident the episode will work mechanically.

You are right though the animation and technical programming is more complex than 3D models and textures. But who knows.

I don’t think they will drop all of season 20 at once, but I speculate the first “episode” of whichever arc season 20 will be organized into is probably about to drop.
  • Options
    > @spiritborn said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Well looks finished and is finished are too very different things, generally "art" is the easiest part of making things for games and what we've been shown thus far is just art assets. There's no way of knowing how far they're on things they're not showing us.

Abe Lincoln clues dropped a week before the episode. We know they already recorded the voice acting for the new event/episode.

Generally they tend to record dialogue last—because the episode needs to be written to record—and there is little point to pay a voice actor if they aren’t confident the episode will work mechanically.

You are right though the animation and technical programming is more complex than 3D models and textures. But who knows.

I don’t think they will drop all of season 20 at once, but I speculate the first “episode” of whichever arc season 20 will be organized into is probably about to drop.

Well when I said I meant the models and textures, we have no idea as if any of this is even animated or rigged to work within the game, also can you cite source for VO being recorded last since IIRC that's one of the first things done since it depends more on the availibity of the actors rather then if the assets function.

Now voice acting is one of the last things implimented but that's just plugging the voice files to the relevant triggers the files themselves are pre-recorded. Now with games there's 2 types of scripts that shouldn't be mistaken for each the "story" scrpit that tells us what's suppose to happen narative wise and contains things like dialogue and is obviously the first thing written and then there's the programming script that tell the game what to do and is finished last.

That said I'm not saying anything about the current progress of these missions, I'm saying that given the information we got, we can't say at the moment, only people at Cryptic know that.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    *chuckles* Heh, no fooling me; I just copy/paste it to the translator!

*copys*
    *pastes*

y̶͈̭̘̎̇̐̒̈Ì̸̧̗̣̜͔̯̯͐̊̀́́̀̈̕͜'̷̪̲̰͎̗̬̯̪̘͊́̉̒̋͜e̵͍̬̪͍͇͇̭͓͖͑̒̋̈́̏̈́̕l̴̡̳͕̱̹̘̈͂͠.̷͎̠̼̦̬̉͒͂̏̓̌́̒͜ ̶̢͚̮͙͒͂̄̌̀͝Ș̷͇͖̜̬͑́͐̈́̅̈́u̷͕̪͌̐̂̔͗̽Ḩ̸̨̱̰͈̗̤̤̺͆͛̽͋̋̐͘͜͝.̸̮̟̌̑͘͜

... :s <- me :P
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    > @spiritborn said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Well when I said I meant the models and textures, we have no idea as if any of this is even animated or rigged to work within the game, also can you cite source for VO being recorded last since IIRC that's one of the first things done since it depends more on the availibity of the actors rather then if the assets function.
    >
    > Now voice acting is one of the last things implimented but that's just plugging the voice files to the relevant triggers the files themselves are pre-recorded. Now with games there's 2 types of scripts that shouldn't be mistaken for each the "story" scrpit that tells us what's suppose to happen narative wise and contains things like dialogue and is obviously the first thing written and then there's the programming script that tell the game what to do and is finished last.
    >
    > That said I'm not saying anything about the current progress of these missions, I'm saying that given the information we got, we can't say at the moment, only people at Cryptic know that.

Al said they were recording over Skype—that was a month ago. So I assume the content is probably ready. That assumption could be wrong.

Animation needs to sync up to the voice acting too.

No I do not have a “source” for production order. I just know Al announced Jeri Ryan’s voicework about two weeks before Measure of Morality launched. Ryan also said she was shown samples of the episode at the time—which means production was already underway.

I also think the cutscene we saw from the Klingon bridge looked pretty complete.

But I admit I could be wrong.

I also think the Risa event may come before whatever the next “story” content is. But again that is just speculation.

Post edited by qultuq on
  • Options
  • Options
    The way I understood post launch content development is done is that you start with a script and after that the various departments start working on with vo done when actors are avaible rather leaving it to when everything else is done.

Jeri Ryan had at least her role in Picard in her schedule possibly more and STO is probably a lesser priority there so vo for STO would done when she had the spare time for it.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »
    The way I understood post launch content development is done is that you start with a script and after that the various departments start working on with vo done when actors are avaible rather leaving it to when everything else is done.

Jeri Ryan had at least her role in Picard in her schedule possibly more and STO is probably a lesser priority there so vo for STO would done when she had the spare time for it.

I think they also plan for 2 versions: one using some generic in game NPC they know they can use and then IF they are able to secure the actor and schedule the timing right they will just swap out that generic NPC for the famous character.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Famous? Or better yet, INFamous!!! :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    antiquesroadshowantiquesroadshow Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    Will the Orions be getting an update to? Is it the KDF faction as a whole? Or is it just Klingons themselves getting all the updates?
  • Options
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I think they also plan for 2 versions: one using some generic in game NPC they know they can use and then IF they are able to secure the actor and schedule the timing right they will just swap out that generic NPC for the famous character.

I suppose that depends on the mission in question, the mission are planned months before they're launched, possibly months before they're announced. So there's more then enough time to make sure the actor is avaible excluding any special circumstances. So if an actor isn't avaible they change the plans for the mission.

The mission we see in-game probably have been thru countless revisions and might taken 6 months or more from an idea to the finished product.
This discussion has been closed.