What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

🔥🔥🔥 "The Year of Klingon" 🔥🔥🔥

Comments

• Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

Please don't counter with unreasonable praise either. For that much budget there are plenty of letdowns. The space CGIy alone features plenty of glitches and clipping they never bothered to fix post production (missing effects, background ships clipping through each other). A big budget doesn't say much about quality.
    172d6f05ac10762a93b9775a49768084.gif

Not really, the budget is overlarge enough that they apparently got sloppy and lazy. It is not exactly an unknown thing for that to happen in Hollywood.

Besides, budget is not everything and never has been. Just look at TOS, they had a budget that could barely handle SFX at all and a lot of the iconic things were invented because they needed a cheaper way to do things. The transporters are a good example, they are an inexpensive cross-dissolve used in place of the much more expensive option of landing a shuttle or ship every episode (which back then would have taken half the budget for the episode to do). Too much money can be just as much of a crimp to creativity that way too small a budget can be.

Another good example of your point is the original Star Wars compared to Disney Sequel Star Wars.

George Lucas and company had to make due with a limited budget, and pushed the limits of special effects. Disney Star Wars Sequels had huge budgets that tried too hard to impress, but came up flat.
  • Options
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > so am i - that screenshot i posted is FROM the movie - it was the first thing that showed up on praxis' MA page​​

Nm. I was mistaken it does appear in the film.

https://youtu.be/XqGnAIgzUTY

2:30

I hope they ask George Takei to reprise his role for Captain Sulu. Maybe we could get an Undiscovered Country/Voyager Excelsior bridge as well :)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The "Vulcan Hello" was basically a show of force towards an aggressive warrior culture. Could Starfleet have avoided the Fed-Klingon War if they used the Vulcan Hello? Probably not as T'Kuvma was out to START a war no matter what. But it might have made the Great Houses think a bit more before backing T'Kuvma if they had seen a show of force rather than an attempt at peaceful settlement, which played right into T'Kuvma's hands.

It kinda reminds me of a more aggressive version of the traditional Minbari greeting from Babylon 5, where they approach with their "gun ports open" as a show of respect. However one species show of respect is another species threat. And unfortunately the show of respect was misinterpreted by a somewhat paranoid Earth Alliance Captain, and he opened fire without checking to see if they were actually being targeted. he just went full paranoid, assumed they were waiting in ambush, and lashed out. And thus... the Earth-Minbari War started. over a misunderstanding of culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PRkD6VpjCs
  • Options
    If Worf/Michael Dorn returns, I hope he offers our KDF officers some prune juice.

After all, it's a 'Warrior's drink'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdlPaCX3S80
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2020
    Still I am very excited about the more Klingon focus in the coming season.

I'd very much like to see Very Rare Gorn Bridge Officers addressed, and given their rightly deserved 2nd Superior trait.

Still I'm very sure they likely have a lot of Klingon related surprises &/or updates, and they have already begun to tease about some coming changes...

I liked seeing Rura Penthe Dilithium mines and teasers there, and wonder if that will update the KDF Fleet Mines as well. I'm actually considering making a 3rd KDF character.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I hope that among the other KDF stuff they put out this year there is an Orion ship that is not based on Harrad-Sar's barge. They have some rather graceful designs in the show (like the Raider and the Scout) but none in the game so far.
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    So Kagran is flying a Khitomer now
  • Options
    revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    Sounds like he is flying the Khitomer to be precise. Not too surprising for the head of the Alliance Military to be in command of the first Alliance vessel.
  • Options
    jasonkirk#8984 jasonkirk Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    What? Whats a Klingon? I have not seen anything based on those words for the year and we are almost half done. Do you mean the year to sell more "Legendary ships and inflate prices"? or the year to remake T5 ships and rename them T6?. Have not seen much Klingonese yet in the game this year. Yes I know blame it on COVID.
  • Options
    What? Whats a Klingon? I have not seen anything based on those words for the year and we are almost half done. Do you mean the year to sell more "Legendary ships and inflate prices"? or the year to remake T5 ships and rename them T6?. Have not seen much Klingonese yet in the game this year. Yes I know blame it on COVID.

Actually, the year they talk about has barely started. Not everyone uses calendar years and start in January.
  • Options
    What would REALLY float my boat would be a legendary D7 package similar to the Romulan but with a special ToS Rom D7 skin to give KDF Rom toons some love aswell.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User

How the mighty have fallen.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    questerius wrote: »

How the mighty have fallen.

Was he ever really “mighty?” All we see is him pretty well consistently throwing forces away during the Iconian War. Never seemed like that great of a leader to me.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    To be honest the Khitomer is probably a prestige assignment, just because the in-game item isn't über OP it doesn't mean it's suppose to be a bad design in-universe. Having Kagran captain the first alliance joint built ship would be major prestige assignment and a sign of respect for him not punishment and disrespect as you imply.

Think about it this way how do you think UFP or the Romulan Republic would feel about the Klingon Empire if the first joint ship project for this alliance was treated as punishment detail where you dump the refuse. They'd take that as massive insult and sure UFP is most peaceful of the three but even they would be perfectly willing and capable of dumping klingons in the way side for that.

J'mpok isn't stupid enough to insult his potential allies at eve of a potential klingon civil war.
  • Options
    TNG has a lot of examples of Klingon tactics, they generally tend towards the bold scream and leap style not too different from what Kagran was doing. In fact, he seemed to have done quite a bit of planning and analysis (more than the typical Klingon) before committing to the risky (but probably best under the circumstances) plan.
  • Options
    TNG has a lot of examples of Klingon tactics, they generally tend towards the bold scream and leap style not too different from what Kagran was doing. In fact, he seemed to have done quite a bit of planning and analysis (more than the typical Klingon) before committing to the risky (but probably best under the circumstances) plan.
    I think so people seem to belive that "optimized max DPS ship that can take out fleets of NPCs in seconds" is what the players are in-universe and thus all enemies are jokes and therefore anyone who doesn't beat the NPCs is also a joke.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited June 2020
    spiritborn wrote: »
    I think so people seem to belive that "optimized max DPS ship that can take out fleets of NPCs in seconds" is what the players are in-universe and thus all enemies are jokes and therefore anyone who doesn't beat the NPCs is also a joke.

If player strength was a factor in the story, then NONE of the threats we've faced would even exist.
    The Borg? We eat Borg for Breakfast.
    That temporally displaced Dominion Fleet? No problem!
    Iconians? Pushovers.
    Hur'q? Where's my can of Raid?

Fact of the matter is that Player strength does NOT factor into the story whatsoever. If it did... there wouldn't BE a story.

Kagran was basically backed into a corner. We had a means to end the war, but the fear was that it wouldn't be finished in time. The Heralds were EVERYWHERE, and outnumbered everyone by several orders of magnatude. The attack on the Herald Sphere... was a Hail Mary. In the end... it was a Pyrric Victory for the Alliance. We showed the Iconians they are not gods by killing M'Tara. But at the same time... we lost way too many ships in the process, and ultimately just honked the Iconians off even more than they already were after Kahless lopped off T'Ket's arm.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

If player strength was a factor in the story, then NONE of the threats we've faced would even exist.
    The Borg? We eat Borg for Breakfast.
    That temporally displaced Dominion Fleet? No problem!
    Iconians? Pushovers.
    Hur'q? Where's my can of Raid?

Fact of the matter is that Player strength does NOT factor into the story whatsoever. If it did... there wouldn't BE a story.

Yeah I know. What I meant is some people don't seem to get this and think if an NPC (Kagran in this case) isn't as strong as fully maxed out player character's ship they must suck.
  • Options
    The Heralds were EVERYWHERE, and outnumbered everyone by several orders of magnatude.
    This.

What people seem to forget is that the Iconians had 200,000 years to populate an entire Dyson Sphere, a construct so large its internal surface area would be 550 million times that of Earth's, with artificially made Herlads that are basically Jem'Hadar, but like 5 times better. They had also made so many ships for these Heralds they literally blocked out the sun.

Its mentioned back in TOS that there is a mathematical probably of around 3 million Earth-type planets in the Milky Way, the type of planet that hosts the overwhelming majority of known life in the galaxy. Even if the Heralds only populated a fraction of the Dyson Sphere, they would still be so numerous that they would, quite probably, outnumber most of the races of the galaxy combined.

The only reason why the Alliance didn't just instantly lose was because the Iconians were(rightfully) confident in their power, and generally only fought us with the forces under M'Tara and T'Ket's commands, leaving the majority of thier forces out of it since they weren't needed.

Even then, they still were wiping the floor with the a combination of powers from three of the four quadrants. The attack on the Dyson Sphere to try to kill the Iconian's leader, and end the war, was an understandable move of desperation.

Assuming all Iconians held forces that were equally strong we essentially just fought 2/12 of their forces and still got our asses handed to us.

The Iconians were confident bordering on arrogant though they had all the reasons to, not only did they have countless heralds at their command the iconians themselves were practically impossible to kill.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Yeah I know. What I meant is some people don't seem to get this and think if an NPC (Kagran in this case) isn't as strong as fully maxed out player character's ship they must suck.

I was actually agreeing with you.
    The Iconians were confident bordering on arrogant though they had all the reasons to, not only did they have countless heralds at their command the iconians themselves were practically impossible to kill.

Very true. Also Kahless says "Hello". :p
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

Well it was a very disarming "hello" ;)
  • Options

Well it was a very disarming "hello" ;)

Though before the hello T’Ket was quite all-armed at his arrival.
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    I wonder if they're planning on changing up the Worf stuff after what the novel revealed.

I know the novels are intended to be canon but so was the original Countdown comic so it depends if they're planning on having it feed into things we see on screen or not.
  • Options
    ishigami2ishigami2 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    I hope we get some sort of Legendary pack for Klingons including the B'Rel, D7, Vor'Cha and Negh'Var.
    That would be pretty cool.
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »

Please don't counter with unreasonable praise either. For that much budget there are plenty of letdowns. The space CGIy alone features plenty of glitches and clipping they never bothered to fix post production (missing effects, background ships clipping through each other). A big budget doesn't say much about quality.
    172d6f05ac10762a93b9775a49768084.gif

Not really, the budget is overlarge enough that they apparently got sloppy and lazy. It is not exactly an unknown thing for that to happen in Hollywood.

Besides, budget is not everything and never has been. Just look at TOS, they had a budget that could barely handle SFX at all and a lot of the iconic things were invented because they needed a cheaper way to do things. The transporters are a good example, they are an inexpensive cross-dissolve used in place of the much more expensive option of landing a shuttle or ship every episode (which back then would have taken half the budget for the episode to do). Too much money can be just as much of a crimp to creativity that way too small a budget can be.

Another good example of your point is the original Star Wars compared to Disney Sequel Star Wars.

George Lucas and company had to make due with a limited budget, and pushed the limits of special effects. Disney Star Wars Sequels had huge budgets that tried too hard to impress, but came up flat.

There is some truth to it and also people are getting so lazy with cgi. Watch the old 70's movie Waterloo, it was filmed in the Crimea and the freaking Red army was drafted in to provide extras. Christopher Plummer was literaly commanding entire battalions in period dress. Compare it to the cgi armies on things like lord of the rings and you see a real difference in quality and immersion.

• Options
    mutedugu#0656 mutedugu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello. I'm new to STO and seem to have a problem progressing the Klingon mission line. After getting my first new ship and finishing the "Friend or Foe" mission K'mtar says to talk Lady Sirella but then there are no further prompts on how to proceed. After doing some research it seems I'm supposed to go to the Ketha Lowlands but there no mission to go there and no way to get through the city gate.

I figured it might be a bug so I remade my character and power through to that point and the same thing happened again. From watching some Youtube videos it seems Chancellor J'mpok is supposed to hail me to give me the mission but that just isn't happening. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to effectively proceed when the main story line seems to be blocked? If anyone could please help me out? Thank you!
  • Options
    Hello. I'm new to STO and seem to have a problem progressing the Klingon mission line. After getting my first new ship and finishing the "Friend or Foe" mission K'mtar says to talk Lady Sirella but then there are no further prompts on how to proceed. After doing some research it seems I'm supposed to go to the Ketha Lowlands but there no mission to go there and no way to get through the city gate.

I figured it might be a bug so I remade my character and power through to that point and the same thing happened again. From watching some Youtube videos it seems Chancellor J'mpok is supposed to hail me to give me the mission but that just isn't happening. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to effectively proceed when the main story line seems to be blocked? If anyone could please help me out? Thank you!

First off what version you're playing, some things like different on console then on PC and if you don't get mission you can't always manually get them in the storyline tab.
This discussion has been closed.