test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If you could remove something from the game, What would it be?

Comments

• Options
    kamjathaekamjathae Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Probability. Like 2% chance to do this, 1% increase to this nonsense.
    Why all this low probably.

You ve got a 100% chance to get over 200.000 Ore Dilithium but you can only refine 8000 at a day.
  • Options
    rhenvar42rhenvar42 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    It is hard for me to pick one thing, so I will mention a small handful.

1: 20 person queues. I only bring this one up becuase they are not really played and with the power creep in game, less players should be able to tackle these missions.

2: System Patrol missions. Maybe I am a bit idealistic, but I would like to be able to return and see the results of the first patrol mission that I did in a system.

3: The Romulan split. I understand why the Fed and KDF can't work together on PVE's but I feel that Fed Romulans and KDF Romulans should be able to work together.

4: Lobi crystals/ Lobi store. Give players a way to get lobi, outside of lockboxes or just drop it.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    If there was only ONE thing you could remove from the game in order to improve the game? What would it be?

Kits, in favour of modular racial tricorders - like we saw on the show.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    fovrel wrote: »
    Here is what I should remove.

Transwarp cooldown. Often I log in to play with a character and when I select a mission, the transwarp is still on cooldown. I know, you can pay/buy stuff to overcome the cooldown, but what is the point of it anyway? I am here to play to go there to do stuff, oh no, I have to wait and then go there and do stuff. It is a space game. Space is our game world; we are supposed to move arround, not to wait. Also, why can't the cooldown timer not run when I am logged of?

Zactly! "We are supposed to move arround," aka not transwarp to everything. :P Transwarp, while handy, in a way runs counter to, well, actually moving around. It makes us lazy, less knowledgeable about sector space (when you need to travel somewhere outside transwarp range), and could even be said to be immersion breaking, after a fashion. But, like I said, very handy.

I would love to see actual warp gates, btw (like the way you travel between systems in EvE Online): giant structures, located throughout sector space, you have to fly towards to activate them.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Transwarp cooldown. Often I log in to play with a character and when I select a mission, the transwarp is still on cooldown. I know, you can pay/buy stuff to overcome the cooldown, but what is the point of it anyway? I am here to play to go there to do stuff, oh no, I have to wait and then go there and do stuff. It is a space game. Space is our game world; we are supposed to move arround, not to wait. Also, why can't the cooldown timer not run when I am logged of?

Zactly! "We are supposed to move arround," aka not transwarp to everything. :P Transwarp, while handy, in a way runs counter to, well, actually moving around. It makes us lazy, less knowledgeable about sector space (when you need to travel somewhere outside transwarp range), and could even be said to be immersion breaking, after a fashion. But, like I said, very handy.

I would love to see actual warp gates, btw (like the way you travel between systems in EvE Online): giant structures, located throughout sector space, you have to fly towards to activate them.

Just like in Star Trek!

Indeed. The Borg had huge transwarp conduits.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2016

I've always considered this lack as a game-flaw, since it would allow STO to have infinite maps or larger map/zones, not to mention affecting the 3D space and movement issue. Then again, the zone maps in EVE online are far and away larger than any to be found in STO (you can actually get LOST!). Those give you the actual 'feel' of deep space. STO feels more like small room. Not to mention their 'item drop' system is superior to STO's. I'm not pushing EVE here, only stating how the comparison of those things pan out. If you've ever played it, you'll see a difference - just fly near a planet! :o
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    No transwarping? If it is a short distance I often fly to the mission start, doffing and doing admirality in the mean time. It depends on my mood. However going from A to B in whatever situation be it a game or a TV episode is not the most interesting thing that happens. We often see the captain giving the command engage, which ends the scene. The next scene we are on the point of arrival.

In the game transwarping is limited and often when I am on a system/mission map I am railroaded from point to point. Here is my idea. One should be able to transwarp accross sector space as one likes. The system map should give us all the freedom to move arround as we like, having all things of interest to explore.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    reyan01 wrote: »

I wouldn't go recommending EvE here; STO players are used to getting to KEEP their purchases ;)

Nah, mate! Wasn't the point. I wanted to mention that EVE players have to constantly rebuy everything they use, but didn't. Was only comparing the other stuff. Just picture STO if they ever implemented similar map concepts! You'd have an increase in the game immersion by over 1000%! :D

...and those people who got too close to a planet might wish they hadn't! Can't remember if you can crash on EVE, but it definitely sticks to more realism. Bouncing off objects in space and Kissing planets has been one of those things in STO I've always had an issue with. :|

there are others...
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    So needing to repeat a mission makes the devs sociopathic? What a massive load of bovine fecal matter.

I think I rarely agree with you, but here I wholeheartedly do.

You two complete all those episode sets on 16 toons and get back to me. I stand by what I said. It is needlessly repetitive, serving only to pad the replay stats on a new episode. There is absolutely no good reason why the same thing couldn't be spread over multiple episodes.

The inevitable, brainless canned response from the white knights will be "nobody forces you to do that." Well no ****, Sherlock. Nobody is forced to play the game at all. That does not invalidate the concept of customer feedback. The thread topic was "things you would remove from the game," not "post only opinions that will be vetted and approved by other posters."
  • Options
    hanover2 wrote: »
    So needing to repeat a mission makes the devs sociopathic? What a massive load of bovine fecal matter.

You two complete all those episode sets on 16 toons and get back to me. I stand by what I said. It is needlessly repetitive, serving only to pad the replay stats on a new episode. There is absolutely no good reason why the same thing couldn't be spread over multiple episodes.

Perhaps. None of what you say makes the Devs 'sociopathic', though, for not doing as you please.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

Perhaps. None of what you say makes the Devs 'sociopathic', though, for not doing as you please.

"Sociopathic" may be too strong of a term, and certainly the first use of hyperbole to ever appear on the internet. I'll go with "indifferent to the tedium and aggravation it causes their customers" if it makes you feel better.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

"Sociopathic" may be too strong of a term, and certainly the first use of hyperbole to ever appear on the internet. I'll go with "indifferent to the tedium and aggravation it causes their customers" if it makes you feel better.

"indifferent to the tedium and aggravation it causes their customers" is something I can live with, yes. :) And with 16 toons, I probably would feel the tedium of the repetition too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Except, you know, having to make the multiple episodes to spread it over. :*
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

Except, you know, having to make the multiple episodes to spread it over. :*

Yeah. At any time, players can always play missions faster than they can be created. So, repetition is an inevitable thing, in any MMO, not just STO.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    None of which rebuts the examples of the Breen and Dominion series', and how they award set pieces. A proven alternative exists, but is abandoned in favor of milking the repeat stats for one episode.
  • Options
    chelly#7549 chelly Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I would remove half of the delta patrol episodes. Or at least let you choose the marks you want. Especially since they made the kobali prime missions into episodes. The delta quad section is a little bloated in my opinion. And make the Vaadwaar easier to kill.
    Post edited by chelly#7549 on
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Exchange ceiling CAP. That way I can sell my T6 Connie for a gazzillion Credits...
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    wilusawilusa Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    remove that specific queue's give specific marks and let all queue's have your choice of marks. Not enough player base to queue for all the different marks needed.
    ee35678e98b44a8e156730c58125ec53.jpg
  • Options
    Remove anything, ANYTHING that lacks an immediate hard counter. Ban players who exploit broken mechanics.

• Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    They make more money because, for whatever reason, they were either unable to attract or unable to retain enough players at launch. The fact that most F2P MMOs don't come close to the amount of new content that WoW adds in it's content patches would seem to indicate that a successful sub model has the potential to make a lot more money than a successful F2P model. It's no secret STO had many problems when it first launched, ranging from huge bugs to questionable design decisions, and these problems caused them to lose subs and end up in a situation where F2P was the only way to stay profitable.
    WoW only has a successful sub model because WoW cornered the market long before most other MMOs came out.

Comparing to WoW totally ignores why WoW is the way it is, in that Everquest was dying off, and it took the spotlight before anyone else could. It's not the standard which you can use to compare to other games.

No game can have a subscription model as successful as WoW because WoW already exists, and no game WILL have one like WoW until WoW dies.

My point was that even the most successful F2P games have a serious lack of content compared to successful subscription games. For example, with STO every couple months you get one new mission and every couple years you get a handful of missions all at once for an "expansion", in SWTOR right now you get one new "chapter" each month, and with WoW you get a bunch of new quests, sometimes new zones, plus raids and dungeons added fairly regularly and every two years you get an expansion with more content than STO has now after all these years.

As far as STO is concerned, I was much happier with the original feature episode formula, where a new mission came I believe every week for several weeks. That kept me excited and playing, and made it feel like an actual event, whereas now I just play something else for 6-12 months until enough missions get released to keep me entertained for a couple days.

@evilmark444, I Just wanted to chime in here with what you think of SWTOR and their model of story expansion vs. STO's model of story expansion and how you prefer the way SWTOR does things in general.

WIth SWTOR, you only get the whole story if you're a subscriber. If you're F2P, I believe you're limited to a certain point in the actual story and can't progress further in the story unless you buy access to the expansions.

Compare this to STO who offers everything essentially free. Asking you to pay for the story is not in the mindset of Cryptic who offers everything for free.

Also, in regards to the old "weekly" releases of missions, you still had a period of time where you'd be waiting for new missions in between those 5 week mission chains (aka the Featured Episode series). The only reason they stopped doing this was that it takes time to build the missions and once they started getting better with the story (mostly my opinion), the quality became better but it also took longer to do.

Why don't you just not bother with anything that is f2p since you dislike it so much anyway?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    its not the game but I'd love to remove the ascii "art" from thread topics or using a given symbol more than 4 times in a topic title
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    They make more money because, for whatever reason, they were either unable to attract or unable to retain enough players at launch. The fact that most F2P MMOs don't come close to the amount of new content that WoW adds in it's content patches would seem to indicate that a successful sub model has the potential to make a lot more money than a successful F2P model. It's no secret STO had many problems when it first launched, ranging from huge bugs to questionable design decisions, and these problems caused them to lose subs and end up in a situation where F2P was the only way to stay profitable.
    WoW only has a successful sub model because WoW cornered the market long before most other MMOs came out.

Comparing to WoW totally ignores why WoW is the way it is, in that Everquest was dying off, and it took the spotlight before anyone else could. It's not the standard which you can use to compare to other games.

No game can have a subscription model as successful as WoW because WoW already exists, and no game WILL have one like WoW until WoW dies.

My point was that even the most successful F2P games have a serious lack of content compared to successful subscription games. For example, with STO every couple months you get one new mission and every couple years you get a handful of missions all at once for an "expansion", in SWTOR right now you get one new "chapter" each month, and with WoW you get a bunch of new quests, sometimes new zones, plus raids and dungeons added fairly regularly and every two years you get an expansion with more content than STO has now after all these years.

As far as STO is concerned, I was much happier with the original feature episode formula, where a new mission came I believe every week for several weeks. That kept me excited and playing, and made it feel like an actual event, whereas now I just play something else for 6-12 months until enough missions get released to keep me entertained for a couple days.

evilmark444, I Just wanted to chime in here with what you think of SWTOR and their model of story expansion vs. STO's model of story expansion and how you prefer the way SWTOR does things in general.

WIth SWTOR, you only get the whole story if you're a subscriber. If you're F2P, I believe you're limited to a certain point in the actual story and can't progress further in the story unless you buy access to the expansions.

I personally like this and think all MMOs should work this way, as should be evident by everything I've said on this topic. I prefer SWtOR's model because it's impossible to go 100% free and also experience everything the game has to offer.
    Compare this to STO who offers everything essentially free. Asking you to pay for the story is not in the mindset of Cryptic who offers everything for free.

This is why I have exactly zero interest in ever trying Neverwinter
    Why don't you just not bother with anything that is f2p since you dislike it so much anyway?

Because 99.9% of the MMOs I enjoy (ie everything that's not WoW) have gone F2P, so I have no choice if I want to continue playing them. That doesn't mean I'm not going to voice my disgust with it though. Don't get me wrong though, there are plenty of things I dislike about WoW, but ultimately I think I care about STO more and see the potential it could have had if different decisions had been made in the original development, which makes everything I dislike about STO even more painful. In the past year, I've spent at least three times more money on STO than I have WoW, so clearly I value it more, yet I've spent at least twice as much time playing WoW instead because there's just nothing fun to do in STO once you finish a new FE. If the game wasn't F2P, then things like lockbox items, T6 ships, their consoles, and their traits could all possibly be loot in the queues or something, which would give me something to play for unlike reputations, the thing I originally voted to remove, which actually make me want to stop playing everytime I come back.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Not really adding anything here, but with SWTOR subscribers can go up to I think level 70 now. F2P players can only go to level 50. They also have to stop before they ever finish the whole first storyarc. Can complete some chapters, but not the whole storyline. F2P players are also limited to 2 characters per server, and have zero access to any expansions or similar updates. Also, the credit is limited at 200k, whereas the minimum expense on items in the exchange there starts at 250k on average. Even people who used to be subscribers (called Premium members) are dropped right back into this restrictive set once their sub runs out and they loose access to many things in the game, including most of their in-game funds. SWTOR has one of the most cumbersome and restrictive player models of any game still active. Unfortunately, the name Star Wars is the only reason it has yet to be decommissioned and replaced. The average player - who are all F2P but casually buy things every now and again - soon become disillusioned with SWTOR because if you ever try to do the math on the cost involved in purchasing just a couple of items, you find that in US $, it easily exceeds $1k+ and up on average and just for some bare minimum things you'd need to really open up your account to every server.

Not so with STO. Unfortunately, we don't get the larger server structure that SWTOR had to start with and have to live with the consequences.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Then it's not really free to play at all, just yet another form of trial/demo mode.

The thing with F2P is, lots of games are advertized as such but really aren't.
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Would remove Starfleet Dental.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
This discussion has been closed.