test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If you could remove something from the game, What would it be?

Comments

• Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    WIth SWTOR, you only get the whole story if you're a subscriber. If you're F2P, I believe you're limited to a certain point in the actual story and can't progress further in the story unless you buy access to the expansions.
    Then it's not really free to play at all, just yet another form of trial/demo mode.

The thing with F2P is, lots of games are advertized as such but really aren't.

they do this to paying players who's subscriptions have run out as well.
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    If I could remove anything it would be all the old low res textures that pre-date the Delta expansion and replace them with nearly identical high res textures.

Especially for some of the uniforms. The Jupiter, Fleet Dyson and KDF Romulan are particularly bad offenders for obviously blurry textures at 1440p+
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    Bajorans.
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    There's not much I would ask Cryptic to remove from the game, because I think a lot of the issues I find in the game are tied to the playerbase. Example:

-- Caitians. I don't care for cat people, but it's not the fact they're in the game that bothers me; it's that they're a welcome beacon for all sorts of unsavory elements (furries).

Although I play them myself since they're on the few species with an unique ability that's active the whole time, I can see where you're coming from here.
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    The reliance on DPS

Yeah, it never, ever feels like your in Star Trek with the DPS the way it plays now. The fun battles we watched in the various series have no comparisons in the game. Not really.

I just had to agree with the above from uryenserellont. However what I was going to say was that 'death' and respawning seem hokey to me in a game based on Star Trek. I think it would feel more like Star Trek if the player ships went into some sort of emergency maneuvers or temporarily warped out of contact in a way that took them away from combat when critically damaged, rather than boom and then "reincarnating".

It's more of an aesthetic thing I guess, but a "under emergency repairs" cooldown seems more canon than a miraculous ressurection/respawn cooldown.

Happy New Year! Qapla'!
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    The Combat Log.

I'm all in favour of people being able to measure performance so to speak but the obsession with DPS and damage output in general is only fed by the ability to constantly compare against other players, essentially pushing the arms race more and more.
    Eventually it all turns to epeen waving....to the detriment of the gameplay.

I don't need a parse to see how good or bad my build is, I can see that on screen (does it kill things?, does it tank?, can it heal effectively?).
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    The reliance on DPS

Yeah, it never, ever feels like your in Star Trek with the DPS the way it plays now. The fun battles we watched in the various series have no comparisons in the game. Not really.

I just had to agree with the above from uryenserellont. However what I was going to say was that 'death' and respawning seem hokey to me in a game based on Star Trek. I think it would feel more like Star Trek if the player ships went into some sort of emergency maneuvers or temporarily warped out of contact in a way that took them away from combat when critically damaged, rather than boom and then "reincarnating".

It's more of an aesthetic thing I guess, but a "under emergency repairs" cooldown seems more canon than a miraculous ressurection/respawn cooldown.

Happy New Year! Qapla'!

These are two things I agree with completely! However, without introducing some form of trinity dependency (which many people have attacked me for suggesting in the past), I just don't see how anyone could ever feel encouraged to play anything OTHER than DPS. Sure, you get the occasional players who enjoyed healing or tanking in another game and decide to try it here, but most of the time they will quickly discover that they are not needed in those roles and are usually holding groups back by not going DPS.

As for the auto-rez, I don't know that you could really do anything else in solo-play, as it wouldn't really make sense for your enemies to leave you alone while you, as you suggested, undergo emergency repairs. When it comes to group content, however, I would love it if we were instead disabled, unable to do anything until receiving a substantial heal from an ally, and only able to respawn once everyone was "disabled". Ideally, this would have a cooldown where you could only be disabled once every five minutes, with all other instances resulting in death and you still only being able to respawn once everyone was dead. And on those instances where everyone dies, I would like to see whatever phase we are at in a given queue reset. This would encourage actual strategy, instead of just "BFAW + spacebar, repeat if I die".
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    The Combat Log.

I'm all in favour of people being able to measure performance so to speak but the obsession with DPS and damage output in general is only fed by the ability to constantly compare against other players, essentially pushing the arms race more and more.

I don't need a parse to see how good or bad my build is, I can see that on screen (does it kill things?, does it tank?, can it heal effectively?).

Sometimes the combat log can be useful though. Just by looking at the raw numbers on the ground when you make some minor changes to a build for example.

I wouldn't remove the Combat log, I'd make it such that external software cannot be used to analyse it. That would still allow those who actually try to make and analyse their own builds to do so, while making a DPS race and dumb copy-pasting of the most effective builds harder.
  • Options
    risian4 wrote: »
    The Combat Log.

Sometimes the combat log can be useful though. Just by looking at the raw numbers on the ground when you make some minor changes to a build for example.

I wouldn't remove the Combat log, I'd make it such that external software cannot be used to analyse it. That would still allow those who actually try to make and analyse their own builds to do so, while making a DPS race and dumb copy-pasting of the most effective builds harder.

Yes I'll freely admit it's got uses as a help tool to find how a build behaves, or how different powers/kit/weapons interacts. And also its got uses as a bug hunting tool.

It's just the fact that it is used the majority of the time for comparing a build to someone else, or trying to match another build that got a certain magic number.
    Whilst i'll not deny some people enjoy the number chasing game, I just happen to feel a game where you just played the content and didn't worry about the exact numbers you were shooting out of your guns.
    Generally you can do fine with a 10K build and a good dash of teamwork in any content in STO, no need for number chasing to be effective.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    I don't like DPS so take DPS away from people who do.

How about a fair compromise?

A c-store unlock to make it so you can't measure your own DPS.

Ah spot the Ferengi, always thinking of a way to make a profit! ;)
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    The Combat Log.

How would you suggest they do that?

To be honest, I have no idea.

I never treated this thread as too serious a thing, I don't think it was intended that way too, seeing that we could just mention anything without worrying about practical things.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    The Combat Log.

How would you suggest they do that?

To be honest, I have no idea.

I never treated this thread as too serious a thing, I don't think it was intended that way too, seeing that we could just mention anything without worrying about practical things.

The easiest method I can think of is to disable the console command to create combat logs, you cannot analyze what you cannot create. This wouldn't stop other people from creating their own logs and posting the results in chat, but that happens so infrequently it's almost a non-issue.

I have to agree about not taking this thread seriously, though. It seems more like a veiled attempt to start a 'forum fire' to me... :/
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Temporal Agent Philil Crey's access to subspace communications... or at least his ability to initiate a hail.
  • Options
    The Combat Log.

I'll give that 'two thumbs up' ! :)

I do check my combat log to see what happened when I really don't know for sure. It can be useful.

Qapla'! Happy New Year!
  • Options
    OH, yeah ... as per others on this thread, I'd not take anything to seriously here. If 'wishes were fishes' and all that, y'know what I mean? :)

Qapla'! Happy New Year!
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    The Combat Log.

I'll give that 'two thumbs up' ! :)

I do check my combat log to see what happened when I really don't know for sure. It can be useful.

Qapla'! Happy New Year!

Combat log was very useful a few years ago when I kept dieing to invisible torpedo spreads in borg red alerts ... had no idea what was going on cause the torpedo effects never showed, so all I saw was my ship suddenly explode for no apparent reason, lol
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I'd get rid of lockboxes and the heavy reliance on gambling/RNG they have now.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    First thing is first. Remove the "human" colored skin shades options from Orions. Second removal would be Caitians and probably Ferasans too. Third would be to remove Bajorans as a playable Federation race and reintroduce them as a playable option under a new Cardassian playable faction.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I have a new issue!

Remove the time between now and releasing the revamped Tal SHiar Addapted T6s!!

'Cause I want them NAAOOooo!!! :smiley:
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    I have a new issue!

Remove the time between now and releasing the revamped Tal SHiar Addapted T6s!!

'Cause I want them NAAOOooo!!! :smiley:
    Your future self is probably laughing at you in his. :P
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    After giving this thread some thought, I figure I would bring up the idea of killing off the dil exchange.

Now, I am not saying do away with the whole trading dil for zen thing, but remove the whole player trading part of it.

Make it a fixed amount , one in the dil store for zen, and one in the c-store for dil.

I like being able to purchase dil with Zen, I just hate the fact that my zen goes into the hands of professional F2Pers.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    just cut this DPS elitism.

I still don't get how it works, or why we even have it. I remember when playing other games, the damage something was listed would be the thing for a weapon, etc.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    just cut this DPS elitism.

I still don't get how it works, or why we even have it. I remember when playing other games, the damage something was listed would be the thing for a weapon, etc.

Oh how it works is simple. It all depends on the average content vs. the average team. If players have an easy chance to get a satisfactory game experience in sto there is no need for elitism. If not there is the danger that it may develop.

Soon after the difficulty increase of delta rising “DPS elitism” was really a thing as one needed a potent group to get through the content at all. Thanks to power creeps the result three years later is that DPS elitism is basically gone among all the DPSer I know. There is simply no need for it since everybody can bring oneself into a position to beat group content that is layed out for 5 people literally solo.

20-60k may still be a DPS elitism danger zone but with 150k+ you leave it behind entirely. Current ISA record is 514k so you get the idea how irrelevant it has become amongst real DPSer. The mechanics in DPS land are so twisted nowadays that you deliberatly need players in your team that don’t score high just in order for you to be able to do so yourself. Approach them with an elitist attitude or exclude them from play and you only hurt yourself! ;)

As for the question of the OP of what would I remove in game?

Simple, Dil rewards from story missions and battle zones. Make actively earnable Dil rewards a queue only thing again to have them populated. At least in queues one gets a minor feeling of playing and earning. All the rest is just farming and farming is boring. If private matches (so elite premades) would see a smaller reward compared to public pugs I could live with that too. How did Kirk once put it? “Risk is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair!”

Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    The old ship debris fields like you see in the Wolf 359 zone could removed with better designed replacements, there's also the damaged ship skins that show when your around 50% damage, and on some building walls since they look too symmetrical.
  • Options
    fluorescentblackfluorescentblack Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    The reliance on DPS
    Thread won on third post. You are eventually forced to embrace it.

Leader of The Temporal Guard and Temporal Defence Force
This discussion has been closed.