test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If you could remove something from the game, What would it be?

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Delicious tears.
    The irony....
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    The horrible, ****** writing, and this "Galactic Alliance," from Delta Rising forward.
    >removing the faction based on finding mutual understanding and coming together to achieve something greater in a series whose whole point has been about finding mutual understanding and coming together to achieve something greater.

This is why I can't take most people who complain about the story seriously.

Its almost exclusively based on trying to **** over everything Star Trek stood for in favor of
    >MUH SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE FACTIONS!

That's fine. You can have your opinion, which holds the same value as that of anyone else. Good for you, not taking an opposing view seriously. Want your admiral rank participation pip? Guess what? Not everyone wants to inhale the wind that the Federation is constantly breaking. Some of us don't want our characters, or factions railroaded by horrible dialogue choices with the token "honor" word mentioned. Some of us enjoy the conflict, because conflict is how you get progress. Some of us despised Federation officers imposing their doctrine(Prime Directive, for example) on those who it does not apply to. Some of us prefer dangerous freedom, or violent characters over peace and diplomacy, or sovereignty and conquest over being part of a "collective."
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
  • Options
    alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Remove Bajor, and All the Bajorans

Gets my vote.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    Remove one thing from the game? Character bound items. Everything should be account bound, or not.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    - People who cannot pass an IQ test.
    - People who spend twenty five hours a day in front of their computer playing STO.
    - These forums.
    - F2P business model. Won't keep the crazies completely out of here but might slow most of them down a bit.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    stofsk wrote: »
    Remove one thing from the game? Character bound items. Everything should be account bound, or not.
    Just my opinion, of course, but I really... REALLY don't like this idea. Doing so would encourage even more farming, which would in turn lead to more grinding, which would cause a need for more min/maxed DPSing. YMMV, but I want to play Star Trek--NOT World of Warcraft in Space.
    newstosiggy.png
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I realize you posted this to just annoy people, but technically, if you can't pass basic IQ, you can't operate a computer, let alone walk, talk, or feed yourself. Even the lowest IQ score is still a passing score.
    - People who spend twenty five hours a day in front of their computer playing STO.
    This would ruin Cryptic's income business model. They use the numbers to show that people are doing "stuff".
    - These forums.
    you would be bored without them.
    - - F2P business model. Won't keep the crazies completely out of here but might slow most of them down a bit.
    Again, you'd mess up the primary thing that keeps STO running. Without F2P, they would have already shut down the game and I'm thinking you likely wouldn't want that.

Appreciate the input, but care to offer something that might be - oh I don't know - useful, if it was ever called into question?

• Options
    Now if I was to add or change some key element of the game, it would probably be "Adaptible Career Paths" and not Linear development. I like freeform to some extent. very few games have ever allowed for it. But this is just a random thought, I posted here for absolutely no reason what-so-ever other than it just came to mind while doing that last post. o:)
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    The ability to trade items outside the exchange and onto the black market.

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I'm may be off with this and @Druk can slap me down if I am, but I 'believe' the main reason they went F2P was because they had to make a choice: Continue to offer the game for free in order to pull in possible future subscribers and create an additional source of backing to fund the game maintenance (or) to roll up the welcome mats, sweep the floors, turn off the lights, close and lock the doors, to never say no more.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    gawainviii wrote: »
    Just my opinion, of course, but I really... REALLY don't like this idea. Doing so would encourage even more farming, which would in turn lead to more grinding, which would cause a need for more min/maxed DPSing. YMMV, but I want to play Star Trek--NOT World of Warcraft in Space.

Just my opinion, of course, but I really... REALLY *like* his idea. Seriously, it would allow me to play my alt again. Without this, it remains killed... by Geko, under the illusion I would start fully Upgrading my alt as well. Yeah, right. Instead, I just had to abadon her. :( It's been a while, but I have not forgotten. Zathras remembers.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    - - F2P business model.
    Again, you'd mess up the primary thing that keeps STO running. Without F2P, they would have already shut down the game and I'm thinking you likely wouldn't want that.

Not to mention the fact that STO has one of the best F2P business models in the industry.
    Considering his attitude toward STO's F2P model I suspect that our friend Thunderfoot has never played the likes of SWTOR.....

anyone that doesn't like swtor's f2p model has never played DCUO, you want to talk about punitive?? try DCUO as a pure f2p... then spend money and realize how little changes
  • Options
    - - F2P business model.

Not to mention the fact that STO has one of the best F2P business models in the industry.
    Considering his attitude toward STO's F2P model I suspect that our friend Thunderfoot has never played the likes of SWTOR.....

anyone that doesn't like swtor's f2p model has never played DCUO, you want to talk about punitive?? try DCUO as a pure f2p... then spend money and realize how little changes

True, I haven't played DCUO - SWTOR's excuse for a F2P model is bad enough!

its the picture of generous and fair compared to what freemium and f2p has to deal with on DCUO
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Just my opinion, of course, but I really... REALLY *like* his idea. Seriously, it would allow me to play my alt again. Without this, it remains killed... by Geko, under the illusion I would start fully Upgrading my alt as well. Yeah, right. Instead, I just had to abadon her. :( It's been a while, but I have not forgotten. Zathras remembers.

Nobody's stopping you from playing your alt, but yourself. You're the one making the choice to throw her into the freezer a la John Spartan from Demolition Man. You always have a choice. Whether you tap into motivation and determination is up to you.
  • Options
    solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    If there was only ONE thing you could remove from the game in order to improve the game? What would it be?

The game itself.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Al Rivera (aka Captain Geko). I'd have him transferred to Champions Online - a game who's development is more in line with his skillset as a Cryptic Developer. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    ichaerus1 wrote: »

Nobody's stopping you from playing your alt, but yourself. You're the one making the choice to throw her into the freezer a la John Spartan from Demolition Man. You always have a choice. Whether you tap into motivation and determination is up to you.

If by 'choice' you mean chosing wisely not to embark on a journey to the poorhouse, then sure, my choice. Or you could learn a few basics about Economics, realize money doesn't grow on trees, and that to the vast majority of mankind (to which I belong), money is a scarce good, and that suddenly doubling one's monthly game cost is simply not for everyone.

I didn't invent the insane Upgrade System, Geko did. I just did the math, and realized I could only do this for my main, which effectively meant having to starve my alt. I tapped into my 'motivation and determination' not to wind up having no food on the table half the month. If you insist on calling that a 'choice', be my guest.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    Starfleet Dental.
  • Options
    I love seeing all this salt people have towards GECKO as if anyone else would do the game differently, and as if his design scheme wasn't based on the same data everyone else would use.

Not sure what you're saying here. But, for starters, let's not make it personal and call for the removal of Cryptic staff -- if for nothing else, because that rarely ends well. :)

But yeah, you're saying everyone would have done lockboxes and the Upgrade system? I doubt it. But he's clearly making Cryptic a lot of money, and I'm seeing a lot being poured back into the game. So there's that. But they lost a lot of customers too (empty queues; when was the last time you were able to pug a Federation Fleet Defense?!). Basically, it's a riskier model, where they rely much more on a few whales to carry the game. STO is certainly not the only MMO following that route, btw.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    A vast majority of the playerbase.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Always tough to choose one thing, but a good start would be the removal of the minimum number of players to start a queue.

I'm gonna have to second this suggestion out of the many excellent ones that preceded it!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I didn't invent the insane Upgrade System, Geko did. I just did the math, and realized I could only do this for my main, which effectively meant having to starve my alt. I tapped into my 'motivation and determination' not to wind up having no food on the table half the month. If you insist on calling that a 'choice', be my guest.

The game is trivially easy even without ever touching the upgrade system.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User

I'll bite. How do you fail an IQ test?

I mean, aside from thinking you can fail an IQ test...
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

I really admire that the thread based on hate has endured longer and gotten more replies than the thread based on things you'd like to see in the game started at the same time.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »

I really admire that the thread based on hate has endured longer and gotten more replies than the thread based on things you'd like to see in the game started at the same time.

If it exists, somebody on the internet has a problem with it.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.