What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    There's a bunch of stuff here also...
    https://twitter.com/startrekcbs?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Apparently, there's going to be Andorians involved...

CpXAM2gVMAAthX1.jpg
    B)

I wonder how long Andorians live, could SHRAN still be alive???

From the TREKCORE Article...

"...Says Fuller, the show will launch from an event that has talked about in the Original Series, but never fully explored. He did specifically state that the Kobayashi Maru, the Battle of Axanar (plus the Earth-Romulan War, from the 2150’s) are not the events to which he was hinting..."

So it's possibly got something to do with the Fed/Klingon Cold war?

"Errand of Mercy" was the first thing that popped into my mind.
    I've got to rewatch that episode and see if I can glean any hints out of it.
    B)

2254 is about the year that Pike was in command of the Enterprise.
    Post edited by daveyny on
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    "...the show will be set approximately ten years (2265) before James T. Kirk takes command of the Enterprise, in the Prime timeline. .."

2250 is supposedly when Captain Pike was given the Enterprise.

2252 is when Kirk entered the Academy.

B)
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Yep 10 years before TOS confirmed.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-timeline/
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It remains to be seen wether or not another prequel can work or if they TRIBBLE up continuity even more.

Pros from the article: Appearantly the Discovery gets a make over. Having not the captain be the main protagonist sounds interesting and more aliens on the bridge is also a pro in my opinion, but I really hope they don't use the ENT visuals for Tellarites but stay true to the real look.

Cons: Adult oriented. This could very well mean a dark edgy nonsense setup with superflous language use and sexual exploitation that, ironically, isn't adult at all but caters to teenagers more than anything else. Please don't fall into this trap. Possible continuity TRIBBLE ups by having yet another prequel, that was to be expected.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    I agree with angrytarg. More details they tell the more I don't want to see it. And with them doing a pay per view. Just makes my decision easier.

• Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It remains to be seen wether or not another prequel can work or if they **** up continuity even more.

Pros from the article: Appearantly the Discovery gets a make over. Having not the captain be the main protagonist sounds interesting and more aliens on the bridge is also a pro in my opinion, but I really hope they don't use the ENT visuals for Tellarites but stay true to the real look.

Cons: Adult oriented. This could very well mean a dark edgy nonsense setup with superflous language use and sexual exploitation that, ironically, isn't adult at all but caters to teenagers more than anything else. Please don't fall into this trap. Possible continuity **** ups by having yet another prequel, that was to be expected.​​

I have more hope with Fuller's crew, that the continuity gaffes will be few (if any). This is clearly the direction they want to go, so I think they've had to consider that aspect.

As for the adult content, Fuller already said they won't go overboard with violence, profanity, or sex, because it takes away from the positive message of Trek. We'll just have to wait and see where they draw the line.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    mhall85 wrote: »
    I have more hope with Fuller's crew, that the continuity gaffes will be few (if any). This is clearly the direction they want to go, so I think they've had to consider that aspect.

As for the adult content, Fuller already said they won't go overboard with violence, profanity, or sex, because it takes away from the positive message of Trek. We'll just have to wait and see where they draw the line.

I hope you're right. I expect to see TOS pilot uniforms, laser cannons and the like, not completely new visuals because it's a decade earlier and no retcons shoving everything so they can write from that point on instead of using what was there. There's just so much potential to goof around pig-12.gif

farmallm wrote: »
    I agree with angrytarg. More details they tell the more I don't want to see it. And with them doing a pay per view. Just makes my decision easier.

That wasn't my opinion at all, though. I am excited and the ppw doesn't affect me as I have Netflix and we (non-US) get it on Netflix pig-1.gif However after Enterprise I see so much potential for TRIBBLE up little details and big events I'm still worried about that. And the ugly ship. I really hope Fuller's statement it should look more like the original show ships means they take a redesign in consideration.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    They will have to really work over the ship. As it has several features that is not part of the Prime Universe. Going by the date of the show.

• Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    I feel like some familiar mistakes are being created: a prequel series before TOS with a ship that is clearly more advanced-looking (and dare I say, uglier) than a TOS Constitution class. I'm gonna guess they're gonna do...the Romulan war?
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    I already expect that they will take some liberties with Trek History and the look, just like ENTERPRISE did.
    That's just the nature of the way things go with the passing of time and TV production values/writing.

The question is..., how much can each of us stand, before it becomes too wonky with our own personal head-canon.

Personally, I always try to keep an open mind, and since I'm not the one creating the show I realize it's going to have some things in it that I'm just going to have to ret-con into my head-canon.

I trust that Mr. Fuller will - based on his previous Trek associations and his history of other TV shows - have the best interests of the IP in mind and not go overboard on 'adjusting' things too much.

A 'wait and see' attitude at this point, is probably the best course of action.
    B)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I feel like some familiar mistakes are being created: a prequel series before TOS with a ship that is clearly more advanced-looking (and dare I say, uglier) than a TOS Constitution class. I'm gonna guess they're gonna do...the Romulan war?

Oh for Christ's sake, it looks more advanced than a TOS Constitution because the special effects technology is light-years better. That's all. Just like the special effects technology was better when they did ENT. And I bloody hope they don't even acknowledge that there's a difference.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    They will have to really work over the ship. As it has several features that is not part of the Prime Universe. Going by the date of the show.

I suspect that they will be incorporating into this show, bits of the look of the movies on purpose, just to tie everything together more.

While I know that will annoy some fans to no end, I think it's pretty cool.

Can't wait to see ships like the USS Franklin and USS Kelvin flying around in the background.

Hopefully, they will also establish for good and settle the question, that there are more than just the "12 Constitution Class Starships" as a part of Star Fleet.
    B)
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    They will have to really work over the ship.

Why? You've gone to great lengths to establish you will never pay a cent for it, so why should they concern themselves with making you happy aesthetically?

This is really the essence of what that particular class of hard-core purist is failing to grasp: you've actually complained your way right out of relevance.

I'm starting to look forward to them occasionally trampling the holy canon-as-it-exists-now. Because after being told relentlessly 'if its on the screen its canon', well the suck it up, because here comes a whole new chapter that'll need to be integrated as a primary and incontrovertible source. And hopefully we'll get MANY such chapters.

• Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    "Sexual exploitation"

Stop slutshaming people. Anyone can havevhigh libdos, not just teenagers. Stop being a prude.

I hope there is plenty of sex and nudity in it!!! Doubtful, but it would be fun.

Anyways, I'm racking my brain trying to think what the major event is.
  • Options
    Maybe its a reference to the Eugenics Wars or World War III?
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    "Sexual exploitation"

Stop slutshaming people. Anyone can havevhigh libdos, not just teenagers. Stop being a prude.

I hope there is plenty of sex and nudity in it!!! Doubtful, but it would be fun.

Anyways, I'm racking my brain trying to think what the major event is.

As Fuller himself pointed out, it is called "TRIBBLE".

As for the event, as I've suggested elsewhere it could be Garth's famous Battle of Axanar. The date does add up just about, a few non-canon sources guessed 2254 for it, I'm seeing no reason why another year would break it.
  • Options
    http://uproxx.com/tv/female-lead-star-trek-discovery/

"Fuller’s former show, Hannibal, was known for pushing the censor envelop with graphic violence and sensuality, and when asked if those elements would be coming into play inDiscovery, he quipped “Well there’s a reason we call it TRIBBLE” Spicy."
  • Options
    Fuller has ruled out Axanar. I personally think it will be something that happens as a result of the Eugenics Wars.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Fuller has ruled out Axanar. I personally think it will be something that happens as a result of the Eugenics Wars.

You'd think somebody could just report everything at once rather than having 50 scattered articles with a mixture of information.

Eugenics fallout would be possible, but they already dealt with a lot of that in Enterprise.

EDIT: The only way out is if his "robots" comment somehow suggests the Soongs are involved and we see the family change course dramatically. Does Brent Spiner really want to come back again? He didn't sound so sure when asked about it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    They will have to really work over the ship.

Why? You've gone to great lengths to establish you will never pay a cent for it, so why should they concern themselves with making you happy aesthetically?

This is really the essence of what that particular class of hard-core purist is failing to grasp: you've actually complained your way right out of relevance.

I'm starting to look forward to them occasionally trampling the holy canon-as-it-exists-now. Because after being told relentlessly 'if its on the screen its canon', well the suck it up, because here comes a whole new chapter that'll need to be integrated as a primary and incontrovertible source. And hopefully we'll get MANY such chapters.

Not out of relevance, just want to make sure it actually fits. You can't throw in stuff on the ship that never was there to start with during that time.

They need a dish deflector not the lighted one for example. Weapons needs to be similar. Stuff like that. That way it will appear to fit in. Not so easily picked off like they did for JJ Trek. Where they "claim" to be Prime Universe stuff, but they was no where near what the Prime Universe uses.

Bottom line if you can't make the Tech and stuff to fit in, then you did a horrible job. So far the ship they showed does not fit in with the era they trying to show. With some features. That needs to be addressed to make it correct.
    Post edited by farmallm on

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    Farm, everything that's announced you hate. It's getting boring.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    azmodeasazmodeas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Well I can admit I was dead wrong on which era the show is gonna be set in. I had predicted the post nemesis era but nope. We've got a pre tos Prequal to bridge enterprise and tos. It could be good or could be horrible. We still don't know near enough details to say it'll rock or suck.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Discovery brings to the table. Worst case it's a 13 episode flop ala Crusade. Best case the original 13 episodes gets expanded into a 20 episode full season run. And goes on a 5+ years lifespan of a series. I like that they are doing a show set on a point of view that isn't the captain. I also like the alien diversity there hinting at. Would admit it'd be fun if they went off the board a lil with the aliens and we got a TAS styled Arax or M'ress caitain officer. As to a female woman of color, hey we had Sisko !!...people and he rocked ;-) . So let's not doom & gloom things ... Also Sisko started out a Commander and was later in the series promoted to Captain.

I would like to believe that as long as the show doesn't end up a love child of Janeway meets Enterprise style abmoination. The show could do quite well. Time will tell , always does.
  • Options
    azmodeas wrote: »
    Well I can admit I was dead wrong on which era the show is gonna be set in. I had predicted the post nemesis era but nope. We've got a pre tos Prequal to bridge enterprise and tos. It could be good or could be horrible. We still don't know near enough details to say it'll rock or suck.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Discovery brings to the table. Worst case it's a 13 episode flop ala Crusade. Best case the original 13 episodes gets expanded into a 20 episode full season run. And goes on a 5+ years lifespan of a series. I like that they are doing a show set on a point of view that isn't the captain. I also like the alien diversity there hinting at. Would admit it'd be fun if they went off the board a lil with the aliens and we got a TAS styled Arax or M'ress caitain officer. As to a female woman of color, hey we had Sisko !!...people and he rocked ;-) . So let's not doom & gloom things ... Also Sisko started out a Commander and was later in the series promoted to Captain.

I would like to believe that as long as the show doesn't end up a love child of Janeway meets Enterprise style abmoination. The show could do quite well. Time will tell , always does.

It's not that type of show, it's 13 episodes tops for this season. They've got a very specific series story arc in mind and he doesn't want filler fluff.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    Farm, everything that's announced you hate. It's getting boring.​​

I don't hate everything. IF you don't like my posts, don't read them.

I want to see the new series, its not my fault they want to be greedy pigs. Using a pay wall. This alone takes away what Star Trek has always been about. All they doing is cashing in on the off Fans wallets. So my only 2 issues is that and the ship should look like something from TOS era.

Once I find a way to see it for free like it should be. I will watch it then. IF not, oh well. I won't be missing much.
    Post edited by farmallm on

• Options
    edited August 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Star Trek was always about 1 thing and only 1 thing, Making Money, anyone who thinks otherwise is being foolish.

All shows and movies are to make $ unless the bomb by not making up the production costs. In this case they want to double dip. As most TV shows are already getting $ through ads, cable/satellite providers negotiation costs, etc.

This discussion has been closed.