Install Arc
Options

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    More interesting speculation...

http://www.blastr.com/2016-8-19/star-trek-discovery-have-we-already-met-main-character

I doubt this will happen, but interesting none-the-less.

B)

Hmm, interesting theory, but it doesn't quite feel right... (mostly for the idea of re-casting the role) however, George Kirk, we have met fairly recently, and there've been mentions of him returning... Allegedly for BeyondBeyond, but we all know JJ lies about his movie plans, so perhaps he'll be appearing in TRIBBLE... Time will tell B)
  • Options
    robofearthrobofearth Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    megawolf0 wrote: »
    This talk about it being a Lower Decks like show reminds me it might be like that one TNG episode with those crew members. Forgotten which one. Think was itself called Lower Decks.

That thought has crossed my mind, too. You are correct that the episode was called "Lower Decks": http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Lower_Decks_(episode)
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Heh...

I guess putting the title of that particular episode in "italics" in my post, wasn't enough of a clue for some folks.

And you call yourselves Fans.
    <chuckle>
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    This is a bit too dramatic, but an interesting take on what might be, come January 2017...

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/26/no-pressure-but-i-need-star-trek-discovery-to-save-the-world
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Nvm, not worth it.

Just so ya know...
    I mostly posted this for the interesting ideas about how good Fuller has been in creating intriguing and thought provoking TV shows and a possible direction Discovery could go as a series.

The "savior of Trek" and other stuff is mostly hyperbole and only one man's opinion.
    It's not meant on my part, to be an indicator of any particular ideology or one political view over another.

B)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Incorrect. you can manually save a draft by clicking the button, it only needs one character in the draft.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    A tiny bit of new info here...
    http://collider.com/star-trek-discovery-news-bryan-fuller-nicholas-meyer/

{SCREENRANT's Version}
    http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-characters-writers-showrunners/

Lead Female Character will be referred to as "Number One"...

Seems the Majel Barret/Roddenberry "Number" One from "The Cage" might actually be the lead character after all.

First Season will have 13 episodes, but the following seasons may only have 10 each.

Fuller and fellow executive producer Alex Kurtzman—who co-wrote the 2009 Star Trek feature film as well as Star Trek Into Darkness—are scripting the first installment of Star Trek Discovery, but Fuller told AICN that Nicholas Meyer scripted the second hour.

We already know that the 2-hour premier will be aired on the regular CBS stations.

First Season won't have any Time Travel in it.

That'll make a bunch of folks happy around here.

B)
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User

13 episodes is barely acceptable if im expected to pay a monthly fee to watch a show,, with commercials. However 10 episodes? unacceptable. 13 episodes would at least cover the majority of the winter months, assuming the season starts in January every year. If the second season IS indeed only 10 episodes, I already know whats going to happen. After every season Millions of people will be canceling their CBS ONLINE TRIBBLE, until just before the next season starts. I know that's what im going to do. Unless CBS online has other shows to keep my attention, and DOESNT have commercials every 3 minutes, I wont be paying all year to watch for 10 weeks. /endrant.
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    Was it the lead character or the captain who was allegedly going to be 'a minority'? If it's the lead, well, Number One wasn't a minority, so unlikely to be the same character. I don't remember Mad Kathy ever refering to Chakotay (or Lt.Cmdr Cavitt) as 'Number One', but it may well simply be an 'anyone tag' for one's executive officer... Once more, the TRIBBLE producers try and generate interest by being cryptic...
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Was it the lead character or the captain who was allegedly going to be 'a minority'? If it's the lead, well, Number One wasn't a minority, so unlikely to be the same character. I don't remember Mad Kathy ever refering to Chakotay (or Lt.Cmdr Cavitt) as 'Number One', but it may well simply be an 'anyone tag' for one's executive officer... Once more, the TRIBBLE producers try and generate interest by being cryptic...
    If they really tried being Cryptic, they'd put those rumours in a lockbox and you'd had to buy master keys to open them.

There is a 99.5 % chance that you get some random Star Trek lore in that box, but sometimes, you get the granz prize: A new Discovery rumour.

Maybe CBS could adopt this approach to the series itself. A lockbox that contains a random Star Trek episode, with a small chance of getting a Discovery Episode. Ad-free!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    If they really tried being Cryptic, they'd put those rumours in a lockbox and you'd had to buy master keys to open them.

There is a 99.5 % chance that you get some random Star Trek lore in that box, but sometimes, you get the granz prize: A new Discovery rumour.

Maybe CBS could adopt this approach to the series itself. A lockbox that contains a random Star Trek episode, with a small chance of getting a Discovery Episode. Ad-free!

:D:D
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    CapC, the idea isn't that you'd be paying this fee just to watch ST:D, although if you wanted to that'd be your right - it's that you'd pay this fee to see the entire CBS back catalogue. (Still want to know if this will include all the classic Twilight Zone episodes, or the show CBS turned Star Trek down in favor of back in '63 - when they were producing Lost In Space...)

Mustrum, it's kind of an old (old, old) Naval tradition to refer to the first officer of the ship as "Number One" on occasion. Usually one uses the name more often - I guess Pike just had this mental block about his first officer's name for some reason - but the nickname is there whenever it seems appropriate.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jackson900pwejackson900pwe Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Bryan Fuller, Nicholas Meyer, Rod Roddenberry ... this is going to be interesting. :P

Definitely. I just hope we don't get a "too many cooks in the kitchen" issue with egos bumping into each other :D
    Rod Roddenberry sounds like a bit of "stunt casting". Did he do anything remarkable so far?

Nicholas Meyer could be a bit of that, too, but at least he directed a very well recieved Trek movie.

Movies....he also wrote Wrath of Khan, the Voyage Home and directed and wrote Undiscovered Country

Didn't he also write some Sherlock Holmes novels or something I can't remember.
  • Options
    Bryan Fuller, Nicholas Meyer, Rod Roddenberry ... this is going to be interesting. :P

Definitely. I just hope we don't get a "too many cooks in the kitchen" issue with egos bumping into each other :D
    Rod Roddenberry sounds like a bit of "stunt casting". Did he do anything remarkable so far?

Nicholas Meyer could be a bit of that, too, but at least he directed a very well recieved Trek movie.

Movies....he also wrote Wrath of Khan, the Voyage Home and directed and wrote Undiscovered Country

The Seven Percent Solution. Positing that Holmes never fought Moriarty at Rickenback Falls, or anywhere else - that Moriarty was in fact Holmes' tutor in mathematics as a child, and when in the grip of his cocaine habit Holmes would imagine his old teacher being behind every evil in the universe. The "missing period" when Holmes reportedly faked his death? That was when Watson had taken him to see a practitioner of a new mental science in Vienna, a fellow by the name of Freud, to treat the addiction first mentioned by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (injecting himself with a solution of 7% cocaine in water when he got bored - hence the title, an allusion both to the drug and the treatment).

I rather liked it.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jackson900pwejackson900pwe Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

The Seven Percent Solution. Positing that Holmes never fought Moriarty at Rickenback Falls, or anywhere else - that Moriarty was in fact Holmes' tutor in mathematics as a child, and when in the grip of his cocaine habit Holmes would imagine his old teacher being behind every evil in the universe. The "missing period" when Holmes reportedly faked his death? That was when Watson had taken him to see a practitioner of a new mental science in Vienna, a fellow by the name of Freud, to treat the addiction first mentioned by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (injecting himself with a solution of 7% cocaine in water when he got bored - hence the title, an allusion both to the drug and the treatment).

I rather liked it.​​

Yup that's it. Which would explain the Sherlock Holmes reference Spock mentions in Undiscovered Country. Meyer sure knows his stuff.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    jonsills wrote: »
    Mustrum, it's kind of an old (old, old) Naval tradition to refer to the first officer of the ship as "Number One" on occasion. Usually one uses the name more often - I guess Pike just had this mental block about his first officer's name for some reason - but the nickname is there whenever it seems appropriate.

Or Number One's name was 'One' or some variation of that. (Similar to Seven of Nine) and she was also Pike's XO so there's no other way of referring to her other than No. One.

Then again, I think she's confirmed Human and 'One' isn't really a common Human name is it?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    Then again, I think she's confirmed Human and 'One' isn't really a common Human name is it?
    No, but I did once (years before Netflix, much less Stranger Things) meet a psychotherapist named "Eleven" (she said her parents were old-school hippies).​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    The honest answer is that Roddenberry was using the old British naval rank system (being a fan of various historical novels set at sea). She was the First Lieutenant, so was called Number One. That's the out of universe answer.

Would be curious to see if they'd make it the in universe solution too. 2255 is as close to The Cage's time as we are likely to get. It may explain why this character is called Number One as well on this ship. There's been minor changes before, a shift by Kirk's time wouldn't be impossible.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Or Number One's name was 'One' or some variation of that. (Similar to Seven of Nine) and she was also Pike's XO so there's no other way of referring to her other than No. One.

Then again, I think she's confirmed Human and 'One' isn't really a common Human name is it?​​

you-will-be-v9jvr5.jpg
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    The honest answer is that Roddenberry was using the old British naval rank system (being a fan of various historical novels set at sea). She was the First Lieutenant, so was called Number One. That's the out of universe answer.

First Lieutenant was a position held by the most senior lieutenant on a ship (with no commander present anyway) it's not a rank per se.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    This ST:D show, getting the feeling it won't be Gene Star Trek. At least the other series tried and I actually like them. This one, getting a bad feeling since in my experience when something is getting so much hype and turns out to not be good. Rarely anything with lots of hype turns out good.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Gene's contributions weren't that great anyways. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    megawolf0 wrote: »
    This ST:D show, getting the feeling it won't be Gene Star Trek. At least the other series tried and I actually like them. This one, getting a bad feeling since in my experience when something is getting so much hype and turns out to not be good. Rarely anything with lots of hype turns out good.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but... Gene is dead. Sorry.

He sorta died prior to DS9. So short of some fell necromancy or finding out he's been trapped in a pattern buffer for the last 20 years then DSC will fall into the same category as the latter TOS films, end of TNG, all of DS9, VOY, ENT, and the KT films as not being 'Gene Trek'.

Incidentally that's the first time I've seen somebody use a name as part of Trek other than poor JJ.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    All the Roddenberry flaming aside (people in a Star Trek Forum sure love dissing Gene for some weird reason pig-3.gif ) @artan42 is right. Gene Roddenberry lost creative control over Star Trek in TNG's third season. Everything that came after wasn't "Gene Trek" - it's curious to read a sentence similiar to "I have a feeling the new show won't be Gene Trek" in 2016.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
This discussion has been closed.