What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Beyond review thread

Comments

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    As someone who really doesn't like JJ-Trek, I totally love this movie! Gives me hope for the franchise again. Thank you Pegg!

However, there is one thing that spoils it for me;
    Scotty says the Franklin was the "first warp four" ship, but it comes after NX-01! Aside from that, it fits. If he had said warp six - I'd be cool with it all. Totally ruined it. Unwatchable. Damn you Pegg!
    Not really
    The Franklin could still be the first warp four ship...stay in commission after Enterprise is commissioned...and still be active after the founding of the Federation.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Lets not make this about Farmallm, he hates it for being tainted by JJ, and no one is going to convince him otherwise, and he has every right to his opinion, reporting him for spam falsely is censorship and wrong.

And Insurrection was a good movie, but its an aquired taste.

That being said calling it PeggTrek is 100% accurate. Its like the JJverse got a transfusion of what made the Prime Universe great, without crapping on JJ, a fusion of the best parts of both.

Hands down the best Star Trek I've ever seen. Seriously I had a hard time believing it when I realized it.

It hands down beats the two JJverse movies, no contest.

Nemisis, loved the Scorpion Fighter, did not love the movie, didn't hate it either.

Insurrection I loved, I actually enjoyed the tranquility and I want a holodeck ship, but Beyond was more fun.

First Contact, I liked parts like the use of the Defiant and Barkly, but hated the Borg Queen, which removed any hope for any sort of moral complexity from the Borg, just turned them into a mechanized insect colony.

Generations was mild fun.

Undiscovered Country was a mixed bag, but was mostly cool.

Final Frontier I really liked, but most people don't, I can't really explain why I liked it. But its not as good as Beyond.

The one with the whales is light fun.

The search for Spock was really good, but I like Beyond better.

Wrath of Khan, the legendary Wrath of Kahn, the best of the old Star Trek movies and the most beloved by most people. Great movie. But Beyond is better to my shock.

After seeing the trailer I did not have high hopes for this movie, so I'm shocked to find its my favourite having now just watched it.

This is my Spoiler free review, I'll do one with spoilers later when I've fully absorbed it.

2016 has been a great year for movies, Captain America: Civil War, X-Men Apoclypse, Star Trek: Beyond, all three have become my favourites of their respective lines (Avengers & Linked movies, X-Men movies, and Star Trek movies).

Full disclosure not an Abrams fan, the first two movies had some good moments, but the movies didn't really click for me, clearly not a reflection of the cast.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Definitely the best of the Kelvin Timeline films, leaps and bounds better than STO's current plot, and for me at least, better than First Contact. Krall's motivation turns out to be understandable, the action-comedy is blended well with the Star Trek-ness, and Yorktown Station? Talk about scenery p*rn, WOW!

They even succeeded in making pre-Manny Coto ENT sound like it was something worth watching, which I thought was virtually impossible.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    amosov78 wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    I thought it was good, better than the last one. But I dislike the modern close up camera action where you can't see anything but an elbow here and a punch there. Story was good. I now know why WE got the KT Enterprise...
    they destroyed it and made the 1701-A! Not quite the make-over the Connie got in the Prime universe; just some subtle differences from what I could see in the few seconds you get to see it.
    They put the neck back in the right place and it appears that they have gone and borrowed a bit from Gabe Koerner's style...

https://youtu.be/giZ0VScAMaI

There's some (low quality) shots already posted on the interwebs:

/drool

Hey Cryptic, I need those parts added to my JJ Connie's customization options ... like now :)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    amosov78 wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    I thought it was good, better than the last one. But I dislike the modern close up camera action where you can't see anything but an elbow here and a punch there. Story was good. I now know why WE got the KT Enterprise...
    they destroyed it and made the 1701-A! Not quite the make-over the Connie got in the Prime universe; just some subtle differences from what I could see in the few seconds you get to see it.
    They put the neck back in the right place and it appears that they have gone and borrowed a bit from Gabe Koerner's style...

https://youtu.be/giZ0VScAMaI

There's some (low quality) shots already posted on the interwebs:

/drool

Hey Cryptic, I need those parts added to my JJ Connie's customization options ... like now :)

they will be...just as soon as beyond has had some time in theaters​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    livestick#7272 livestick Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    As someone who really doesn't like JJ-Trek, I totally love this movie! Gives me hope for the franchise again. Thank you Pegg!

However, there is one thing that spoils it for me;
    Scotty says the Franklin was the "first warp four" ship, but it comes after NX-01! Aside from that, it fits. If he had said warp six - I'd be cool with it all. Totally ruined it. Unwatchable. Damn you Pegg!
    Not really
    The Franklin could still be the first warp four ship...stay in commission after Enterprise is commissioned...and still be active after the founding of the Federation.
    Sure, it could be. But then why was the registry number NX-326? It still doesn't quite fit.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    I have a bit of a theory about the Franklin. Yes she is supposed to be older than the NX class, but ships of lets call them the Franklin class, since she was supposedly the first Warp 4 ship, could have been refitted when the Federation was formed. Most pre Fed Starfleet ships did NOT have the USS prefix, so in theory she could have gotten an overhaul when the Federation was formed.

Could explain why some of the tech on the Franklin looked comparable to a bit older than that on the Kelvin herself. As to the registry number, it is possible that until the NX class came around, the NX registry prefix was not associated with a single class, but general use, like the NCC prefix in later generations. While the NV prefix on ships like the Intrepid are IMO an anomaly, it could make some sense...

Anyways...

The new Enterprise is still the same class as the previous one. She probably won't undergo a refit to be more like the Prime Connie Refit for another 10-20 years in universe.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    It could be that the Franklin was moth balled, then taken out if moth ball during the Xindi incident and given the NX designation at that time.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    I'd lean more towards the Earth-Romulan War. *shrug*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'd lean more towards the Earth-Romulan War. *shrug*

I haven't seen it myself yet, but I thought I read that it was mentioned in the movie that the Franklin was in service during the Xindi incident?
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    The Xindi Conflict was mentioned, but so was the Romulan War.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    We don't really know enough about the formative years of the Federation and its Starfleet. The higher registry could be accounted for if the Coalition of Planets had begun to unify their fleets leading up to the formation of the UFP. Since NX was the only real prefix we saw on early Earth Starfleet ships, it's possible they kept that but gave it a higher number depending on when it got recommissioned as a Federation starship.

The Franklin being an older ship also plays into
    Edison's feeling of being put out to pasture. They disbanded the MACOs and then offered him an outdated ship. A bit of a slap in the face for someone who considered himself a hero.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    The key for me in understanding Krall's philosphy and goals is to realize that 1. Trapped on that planet and using space vampire tech has mad him insane, this isn't the cunning and wit of a Kahn or General Chang, the pure evil machine cunning of the Borg Queen, ect...

This is a man and his crew/cult who have been driven as mad as if they'd gone on a date with Cthuthulu.

2. His moderate Hawkish idealogy become twisted by his madness into the idealogy of Charles Mason. Seriously look at the idealogical under pinning Charles Mason's murders and its the same as Krulls.

Its an idealogy of Xenophobia, with the particular tactic of trying to encourage outsiders into attacking your group in order to make your group less tolerant and more inclined to lash out back at the outsiders. Its about provoking a race war in your group when your group has no interest in such a war.

Charles Mason tried to "teach" black people how to rise up against white people, in the hopes that when they did so, the whites would set aside tolence and respond in kind, causing a race war.

Krall is the same. Krall is basically human as is his crew, but they adapt an alien appearance and language so that when they attack York Station the survivors will remember it was an alien species that did this and and that knowledge will spread throughout the federation, spreading Xenophobia to all corners, especially to the humans.

His goal is to shock the federation out of its niave complency, to make it less trusting and tolerant so as to make it stronger against internal and external threats.

That's why Krall sees himself as trying to save the federation, not destroy it.

As odd as it sounds from HIS prepective Krall is a Federation/Earth loyalist, will to do the distasteful, but needful things, even if it costs him his life.

To Krall's warped thinking he's the hero of the Federation, the movies good guy, not Kirk who is a threat to the Federation by keeping it weak.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,987 Arc User
    Not a bad movie overall.

NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
      [quote="evilmark444;13006969"][quote="rattler2;13006966"]I'd lean more towards the Earth-Romulan War. *shrug*[/quote]

I haven't seen it myself yet, but I thought I read that it was mentioned in the movie that the Franklin was in service during the Xindi incident?[/quote]

That was my thought as well seeing how it used the Enterprise era shuttlepods
      i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
      original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    • Options
      jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
      Loved this movie, a Star Trek movie out of the JJverse finally. It seems when the actors get involved in the the writing and directing Star Trek truly shines. For example the late great Leonard Nimoy directed the Voyage Home and that is on par with TWoK. Pegg did Star Trek proud. I am going to open up on my thoughts in a new thread which will be filled with spoilers.

Oh and any bets the USS Franklin would kick the TRIBBLE of that wimpy NX-01 Archer has? I so want a model of the USS Franklin. That was the ship we should have gotten on Enterprise instead of an upside down Akira knock off.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
    • Options
      edited July 2016
      One other thing I liked, they came up with perhaps the coolest karmic death for a miniboss villain I have ever seen in my life. It's hard to beat Kirk squashing you like a bug by flipping the crashed saucer of the starship you helped destroy over onto you like the galaxy's biggest flapjack.
      khan5000 wrote: »
      I enjoyed it. This movie was a little bit more Trek than the others. Just some minor nitpicks:
      1) A commodore can't offer you a Vice Admiral (three star) position.
      And a medical officer can't command a ship IRL, either ("Descent" with Bev Crusher, and anything in the novelverse involving Ezri Dax commanding USS Aventine). You can either accept it as Star Trek writers having little comprehension of the chain of command and division of duties as usual, or you can rationalize it by Commodore Paris having been given permission to make the offer on behalf of a higher-ranked admiral.
      lordgyor wrote: »
      The key for me in understanding Krall's philosphy and goals is to realize that 1. Trapped on that planet and using space vampire tech has mad him insane, this isn't the cunning and wit of a Kahn or General Chang, the pure evil machine cunning of the Borg Queen, ect...

This is a man and his crew/cult who have been driven as mad as if they'd gone on a date with Cthuthulu.

2. His moderate Hawkish idealogy become twisted by his madness into the idealogy of Charles Mason. Seriously look at the idealogical under pinning Charles Mason's murders and its the same as Krulls.

Its an idealogy of Xenophobia, with the particular tactic of trying to encourage outsiders into attacking your group in order to make your group less tolerant and more inclined to lash out back at the outsiders. Its about provoking a race war in your group when your group has no interest in such a war.

Charles Mason tried to "teach" black people how to rise up against white people, in the hopes that when they did so, the whites would set aside tolence and respond in kind, causing a race war.

Krall is the same. Krall is basically human as is his crew, but they adapt an alien appearance and language so that when they attack York Station the survivors will remember it was an alien species that did this and and that knowledge will spread throughout the federation, spreading Xenophobia to all corners, especially to the humans.

His goal is to shock the federation out of its niave complency, to make it less trusting and tolerant so as to make it stronger against internal and external threats.

That's why Krall sees himself as trying to save the federation, not destroy it.

As odd as it sounds from HIS prepective Krall is a Federation/Earth loyalist, will to do the distasteful, but needful things, even if it costs him his life.

To Krall's warped thinking he's the hero of the Federation, the movies good guy, not Kirk who is a threat to the Federation by keeping it weak.

Eh, not so much. I saw him as something like what Joe Haldeman was aiming at in The Forever War, which if you're not familiar is an allegory to the experience of Vietnam veterans coming home to a now-virulently anti-war America (update that to Iraq and Afghanistan War vets for today). A war veteran with a record full of heroism finds that the society he fought for has changed beyond all recognition, and he feels disenfranchised in this new world, that he doesn't get the respect from the new society he feels he deserves. I suspect since he seemed enthusiastic in the video of Franklin's voyage, it was only a small resentment at first, but being "abandoned" on that planet after a mishap (when really all that happened was his distress signals couldn't penetrate the interference), plus the alien tech he started dosing himself with turned that resentment into an overriding desire for revenge for himself and the crew that depended on him.

I saw more than a little similarity between Krall and A, the Federation captain in the first post-Iconian War blog, and B, my OC Kanril Eleya in the story I wrote for ULC 25. These are officers who went through their formative years as Starfleet personnel in basically constant warfare, and now are suddenly thrust into peacetime and have to take up the non-military side of the Starfleet captain's mantle, something they've been trained for but aren't really mentally prepared for. Leaving aside the silliness of giving command of a ship to what amounts to the outer space equivalent of a Navy SEAL (special warfare officers aren't allowed to command ships IRL either; they'd have to have their certification changed to, for example, surface warfare officer), that's Krall, an instinctive soldier who is now forced by circumstances to be an explorer and a diplomat, rather like how a war vet who musters out now has to adjust to life as a civilian. Even if you've got all your limbs and brain cells intact, it's not an easy transition.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
      themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
      Totally blew away ID and is on par with '09, in my book. Don't get me wrong, I like ID. But I like that in this one, Kirk has matured beyond the "genius-level repeat offender" and overall drunk-on-his-own-success attitude he showed in '09 and the first half of ID. Now, he is a good captain in his own right, not just BS'ing his way through life fueled by pure charisma.
      That and it was amazing to see the Big E go out in a blaze of glory. It was good to see an Enterprise fight to (and beyond) its last breath, instead of using SELFDESTRUCT like in Search for Spock or biting it like a chump like in Generations. I especially enjoyed the part where Kirk and Chekov use the saucer's thrusters to flip it over onto that alien woman's head.
      Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    • Options
      doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
      LOVED IT 5 STARFLEET DELTAS!

Only slight nitpicks
      1. If they destroyed the deflector dish, why does Kirk think they can still go to warp? Uh, dont you HAVE to have the deflector dish to keep the warp field open and deflect space debris?
      2. The Federation already built the Vengeance, I guess Yorktown was built without knowledge of Admiral Marcus' ship, because Enterprise barely fits in her tunnels.
      3. The Franklin takes a little too much damage for an old hull, bashing into mountains and then basically through a starbase door, lol.
      STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
      Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
    • Options
      legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
      considering the vengeance was built by section 31 under khan's direction in secret...duh, of COURSE the yorktown was built without knowledge of it​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • Options
      amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
      LOVED IT 5 STARFLEET DELTAS!

Only slight nitpicks
      1. If they destroyed the deflector dish, why does Kirk think they can still go to warp? Uh, dont you HAVE to have the deflector dish to keep the warp field open and deflect space debris?

Desperation I'd imagine. However on previous ships without main deflector dishes, such as the Constellation-class, Rick Sternbach mentioned in the January 2003 edition of the Star Trek Magazine that the deflector shield grid, Bussard collector fields, tractor emitter and asymmetrical warp fields are working together to protect the hull on the Constellation. It's possible that they could have enabled something similar on the Enterprise here, hence why Krall's forces took out the warp engines as well.
      U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
      Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
      Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
    • Options
      The Deflector Dish wasn't necessary to establish a warp field. However... Was interesting to see the concept of saucer seperation on a Connie. In some of the non canon materials, the TOS Connie was capable of it, although she wouldn't have been able to reattach without the support of a shipyard facility.
    • Options
      thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      I completely enjoyed it. Enough where I'll probably go see it in the theater a second time.
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,987 Arc User
      As much as I hated the JJ design of the the Enterprise, seeing her go out in a blaze of glory was a fitting end, at least the proportions on the A are a lot better
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
        Something that struck me, and may not have even been intentional, was that when the Enterprise had her nacelles blown off, she looked a LOT like the U.S.S. Kelvin.

Like father, like son. :P
        NJ9oXSO.png
        "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
        -Thomas Marrone
      • Options
        crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
        I enjoyed it a lot; and really don't understand the reasoning of the: "They're good, entertaining films; but not Star Trek films..." crowd as to me - all three have done a marvelous job capturing the essence of the original Star Trek for me. And as I've said many times - old original series fan here that started watching Star Trek first run since 1969 (third season - at age 6.)

For myself, only two of the original cast Star Trek films - STII:TWoK and STIV:TVH work as well at recapturing what I enjoyed from the TOS days; and the JJ films TOWER above the TNG feature films easily. YMMV od course. ;)

Star Trek Beyond really had marvelous character moments, some really laugh out loud, but not forced humor, some good old fashioned adventure, some mystery, and was just plain fun/enjoyable to watch. Karl Urban 's McCoy is fantastic, and Simon Peg's take on Montgomery Scott really worked for me in this outing. No, he isn't James Doohan, but he's not trying to be - and IMO that's okay. I've enjoyed Chris Pine's take of James T. Kirk since day one; and have warmed to Zachary Quinto's Mr. Spock <--- But Spock and Kirk in the JJ Verse have had VERY different experiences then their 'Prime' counterparts, so of course they're going to be different from those in a lot of ways and that's okay too.

What happened to Anton Yelchin was an utterly horrible tragedy, and I'm also saddened we won't see more of his take on Pavel Chekov, because the character was also WONDERFULLY done for this film.

I hope they follow through and do produce the 4th JJ verse film, as it is something I do want to see.
        Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
        TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
        PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
      • Options
        zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User
        Solid 4-4.5 from me.

Some major spoilers to the previous two movies below. I'll keep my overall thoughts on Beyond spoiler free though.

I just need to give a quick run down on my opinions of the Kelvin Timeline movies leading up to this. the first of these three films was flawed, but I was willing to overlook many of its flaws because it was clear that they needed to establish this timeline so they wouldn't have to be held down by pre established canon. Into Darkness though was where I started to have serious doubts about this timeline. The constant "its not Khan!" build up to this movie from Abrams was awful. I wanted to believe they had something clever in mind that in some way paralleled the prime universe, but instead we got this bizarre variation of Wrath of Khan. Into Darkness felt like a mistake to me. Why would you decide to keep retreading old stories after finally setting the stage for new tales with the first of the three films?

As the initial Star Trek Beyond trailers rolled out, I continued to have this feeling of dread. This movie had some awful marketing behind it. Given the various rewrites this film has gone through, coupled with Justin Lin as the director (I'm not familiar with much of his work to be completely honest, and at the time I jumped on the hate bandwagon just because I've never cared much for the Fast&Furious movies), and I thought this movie was going to be a mess.

Fortunately, my initial opinions on this movie turned out to be entirely wrong. Star Trek Beyond is essentially where I wanted the Kelvin Timeline to go after their first film. This movie tells its own Star Trek story set within the Star Trek universe, and only uses previous canon to compliment the themes within the movie. Every character also had something to do in this movie, which was a nice change when compared to most of the cast just sitting around on board the Enterprise during Into Darkness. It also felt like these characters were finally growing, and changing over their years of exploration. The Antagonist was cleverly handled, and while you could figure out Krall's motives, or at least suspect them by a little passed the half way point of the movie, it didn't give me that sinking feeling I had when it became clear that John Harrison was Khan during Into Darkness. Instead it caught my attention, as an antagonist who just seemed like your typical bad guy of the week actually had more going for him. Visually this movie was a beauty to. Aside from a few bits of tacky CGI, this movie looked good. It was indeed very action heavy, and I can see why that may turn away some Star Trek fans, but more often than not I felt like the action complimented the story well. Overall, I feel like I've finally gotten what I wanted since I first watched the first Star Trek movie set in the Kelvin Timeline. At this point I only hope this movie does well in sales, because I'd like to see more writing like this in later Trek films set in this timeline.
      • Options
        Solid 4-4.5 from me.

Some major spoilers to the previous two movies below. I'll keep my overall thoughts on Beyond spoiler free though.

I just need to give a quick run down on my opinions of the Kelvin Timeline movies leading up to this. the first of these three films was flawed, but I was willing to overlook many of its flaws because it was clear that they needed to establish this timeline so they wouldn't have to be held down by pre established canon. Into Darkness though was where I started to have serious doubts about this timeline. The constant "its not Khan!" build up to this movie from Abrams was awful. I wanted to believe they had something clever in mind that in some way paralleled the prime universe, but instead we got this bizarre variation of Wrath of Khan. Into Darkness felt like a mistake to me. Why would you decide to keep retreading old stories after finally setting the stage for new tales with the first of the three films?

As the initial Star Trek Beyond trailers rolled out, I continued to have this feeling of dread. This movie had some awful marketing behind it. Given the various rewrites this film has gone through, coupled with Justin Lin as the director (I'm not familiar with much of his work to be completely honest, and at the time I jumped on the hate bandwagon just because I've never cared much for the Fast&Furious movies), and I thought this movie was going to be a mess.

Fortunately, my initial opinions on this movie turned out to be entirely wrong. Star Trek Beyond is essentially where I wanted the Kelvin Timeline to go after their first film. This movie tells its own Star Trek story set within the Star Trek universe, and only uses previous canon to compliment the themes within the movie. Every character also had something to do in this movie, which was a nice change when compared to most of the cast just sitting around on board the Enterprise during Into Darkness. It also felt like these characters were finally growing, and changing over their years of exploration. The Antagonist was cleverly handled, and while you could figure out Krall's motives, or at least suspect them by a little passed the half way point of the movie, it didn't give me that sinking feeling I had when it became clear that John Harrison was Khan during Into Darkness. Instead it caught my attention, as an antagonist who just seemed like your typical bad guy of the week actually had more going for him. Visually this movie was a beauty to. Aside from a few bits of tacky CGI, this movie looked good. It was indeed very action heavy, and I can see why that may turn away some Star Trek fans, but more often than not I felt like the action complimented the story well. Overall, I feel like I've finally gotten what I wanted since I first watched the first Star Trek movie set in the Kelvin Timeline. At this point I only hope this movie does well in sales, because I'd like to see more writing like this in later Trek films set in this timeline.
        Well, for those of you who were worried about Justin Lin, the guy was raised on TOS reruns.
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
        taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
        edited July 2016
        Personally I don't think a trek film will ever be a 5/5
        You guys voting 5's are waaaaaay too generous. Seriously.

For those voting 5/5 .... Are you comparing this "Only to other Trek movies" ?
        Or Movies in general ?
        Because there is no way this movie is perfect if you compare it to other great films..
        Pulp fiction is like 4/5
        Shawshank Redemtion is like a 4/5
        Casablanca is like a 4/5

and ST Beyond...is a 5/5.... uhhhmmmmm no. LOL
        I smell Fanboy.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
      • Options
        Personally I don't think a trek film will ever be a 5/5
        You guys voting 5's are waaaaaay too generous. Seriously.

For those voting 5/5 .... Are you comparing this "Only to other Trek movies" ?
        Or Movies in general ?
        Because there is no way this movie is perfect if you compare it to other great films..
        Pulp fiction is like 4/5
        Shawshank Redemtion is like a 4/5
        Casablanca is like a 4/5

and ST Beyond...is a 5/5.... uhhhmmmmm no. LOL
        I smell Fanboy.

Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, and Casablanca aren't science fiction films.
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png