test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Beyond review thread

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Where to start?

How about a fair warring, you have been warned that if you read this, I won't buy you a new keyboard.

OK, after after one of Davey's rather interesting posts ( and has yet to grasp that arguing with me is like curing cancer with Tic Tac's, I still have high respect for him, almost as much as I would show towards another dragon, he should be proud, only a small paw full of Humans have that respect and none to earn it in such little time. ), I decided to...........watch Beyond.

Also to the trolls who go hunting for game for no reason but to upset and anger..........ah, forget it. dino1-13.gif

Right then........just a few major bummers.

Finally found a copy ( a major bummer ). You'd think Disney owned the rights to it they way it was wiped from site to site. Only 4 pages in Google? Far out.

Saucer scene, Generations..........yo, rip off to the max, dude. Not cool. dino1-18.gif

The ship can go to warp and escape a Quantum Singularity with no warp core ( I don't buy the " there was enough anti-matter in the core, the core it's self was ejected ), so it should be able to go to warp with no nacelle's.

JJ Kirk you twit, when you see and know of advancing hostile ships, SHIELDS ARE A FIRST PRIORITY not a suggestion. Even if they did fail.

JJTrek Scotty could of fixed the communicator with two sticks, a rock and the elastic from his Starfleet issued underwear like real Scotty. But he didn't.

I swear JJTrek Checkov and Scotty kept dropping accents. Wonder if the sound guy kept falling asleep during filming. Then again, it was recorded with a hidden camera in the cinema with Russian subtitles when the aliens spoke, so who knows? And why a English spoken film with Russian subtitles from only the aliens when they spoke their language?

I thought that the ship being destroyed in the manner it was, proved that it was made of balsa wood and sticky tape. Even the real Enterprise survived mostly intact when she blew her saucer section and entered the atmosphere. Also, did they remodel the ship, it looks different by the impulse engines and thinner neck?

Actor's didn't give their all. Unless it was the script. They seemed like.........they where bored or fed up? ( I dunno )

And a upside. dino2-18.gif

I did like the music score and JJ Bones description of that awful space station.
    Also like JJ Bones. Sound effect where nice too.
    The defibrillators are just over there for the JJ Fans to use only. Thank you.---->

In all, made it to 40:17 minutes before I just face/pawed, groaned and shut of the media player......and erased the movie.

Hate me, like me, I still correct my rating and make it a 1, as I said, I liked the music.

Live long and happy ranting.

Your favorite JJTrek Hater.
    Crashbang Tyron​​

All of a sudden, I feel like Rudolph...

https://youtu.be/6PNRPouqD_M

minion_dragon_by_dragonrider02-d96ldl5.jpg

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    azrael605 wrote: »
    He wasn't bored, as he approached the birthday that would make him older than his father lived to be he was having doubts about whether he had joined Starfleet for the right reasons. As for "vice admiral" its being used as a title for the second in command of Yorktown.

Oh and the character played by Greg Grunberg is Finnegan.

I caught that too!
    Damn ingeniously-sneaky of Pegg to include that.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    Well I did it to crash so it's only fair I tackle the other hardcore holdout.
    farmallm wrote: »
    Okay, since I refuse to see the movie. However I did read the Synopsis on IMDB. I use that site to see what kind of movie it was. Specially when I kinda don't want to see. Just in case it proves worthy of attention later. This is how I did the 2009 and Darkness.

Anyways, lets see.
    That's a fair approach.
    KU Kirk is bored after 3 yrs into his mission. And wants a Desk Job. Really, bored looking at all kinds of new life and stuff. Guess he didn't see much out there during that time.
    Your impression of the situation is somewhat flawed. While he does mention that things feel "episodic", the heart of his discontent is he's not sure he deserves to be out there. It's much clearer in the film.
    He applies for a Vice Admiral. This is shocking. Just like in the 2009, I see the KU has no proper ranking system. We just promote to what we feel like. Which later in the movie he got the position, but turned it down. Talk about some serious Entitlement.
    Applying for that position was a misguided decision, so it's not really weird that he'd turn it down later after finding himself during the events of the movie. It's not unlike what Prime Kirk went through, winding up with a desk job but feeling like it just wasn't his place. Only KT Kirk never got that far and dodged the deck job bullet. Basically this is the most Kirk the character has been in the entire franchise, for all that amounts to.
    They get a distress call and get destroyed due to a man wanting an bio weapon. That was fast. Then again what you expect, I'm surprised it lasted this long way they are reckless.
    Hardly reckless. They did everything exactly as you would have seen it done in the shows - Enterprise is the only ship in range, they immediately head to investigate, they encounter an alien threat and respond appropriately, up to and including actually going to red alert and raising shields.
    KU Scotty find a girl alien and the Franklin. KU McCoy and KU Spock is wondering around. We see the main villain is a Vampire. And the weapon turns people into dust. Sounds like something copied from Nemesis here. Vampire looking people and a weapon that turns others in to dust. Not much on being Original, KU is bad about that.
    Yet another case of reaching to complain about something. This complaint isn't any more valid than crash's initial Generations comparison.
    They stopped him from destroying a station and killed him. And finding out he was someone from Earth. Really 2 movies with a bad guy from Earth. I guess they ran out of ideas on something new for threats. At least something from Space itself. This is where TMP and IV was good. A real space threat and original.
    This seems like a relatively minor thing to whine about. Personally I would have preferred the villain be something extraterrestrial, too, but it's not something I would count against the movie. It made the reveal unexpected since there's no real hint to his origin for quite some time in the movie.
    From other places I read up on. They told the Franklin was built in space. That is why it couldn't take off easily. But the KU Enterprise was built on land. So it could. So yeah, that makes plenty of sense. But the KU Enterprise A is built in space at the end. Why not on ground again as that seems the best method? Talk about some serious complications on story here. As they try to fit in stuff to make it right. Its like they are very confused on what to do. I guess next they will try to build starships underground or in the depths of an ocean.
    May be a tech thing. ENT-era tech may not have been able to handle accelerating a full size ship to escape velocity, whereas TOS era tech obviously can accomplish that with no problem. So it's not that building on the ground is somehow inherently better, it's just more convenient somehow now that the tech to achieve orbit from ground level exists.

I think the Enterprise being built on the ground was incredibly stupid, too, but that's '09 for you.
    In all, makes me glad I didn't see it. I read enough to get a decent idea.
    If the above are the thoughts you left with that you felt warranted posting, then no, you didn't.

It's amusing to me that the two people here most resistant to Beyond wrote "reviews" that fail in pretty much all the same ways. Crash at least corrected it with a clear-headed viewing and, much to my surprise, not only rated it a 3, but admitted he considered a 4 if it hadn't been for a certain elements bugging him. I would have expected him to give it a 2, honestly.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    @jexsams Since I'm mobile quoting is a pain, but the notion that the weapon and villians are somehow reminiscent of Nemesis is not far off. It's however not that the KT can't be original but Trek movies in general feature terrible plots since Insurrection. I personally hate what FC did rewriting and retconning events into ludicrousness but at least they tried being original with show content. Every single movie afterwards just featured expendable often wrinkly faced villians with insufficiently explained revenge complices and a deus ex machina doing evil. While some elements might be nice, the base plot of Trek movies is almost universally boring.

TMP stands out positively since it really tackles the shows spiritual roots, the twok era ones feature excellent character plays but afterwards it gets really wonky imo.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    I'd give it a 4 but.........to many WTF's, a motorbike that's been siting around in the Franklin with a full fuel tank that held intact petrol not going anywhere for 100 years that starts up with most likely stale fuel. I wish I had a lawnmower like that.
    *points at VOY: "The 37s"*

You and I caught that, but remember, at the end of the day it's a movie written by people who have probably not done any serious work on cars. Even me, I can rotate tires and change oil, filters, and spark plugs, even install a stereo if I've got a guide to go by (just finished putting a sweet little Pioneer number in my '01 Forester), but anything more serious than that and I need a mechanic. I just mentally insert a scene where Scotty whips up some technobabble additive to clear the carburetors. We already have gas additives to deal with ethanol (especially for long-term storage like in the lawnmower you mentioned) so that's not much of a stretch.

Personally I've got it in my headcanon that most modern ground vehicles in Star Trek, especially pre-replicators or on the fringeworlds, run off petroleum fuel cells (yes, those exist). It'd be easier to store for one thing: unlike hydrogen, gasoline and diesel are liquids at room temperature.

It's a future where we have pills that regrow kidneys and where we have a weapon that can safely stun, kill or vaporize people, and also heat up stones in a manner that they give off light and heat without horrible things happening.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    @jexsams Since I'm mobile quoting is a pain, but the notion that the weapon and villians are somehow reminiscent of Nemesis is not far off. It's however not that the KT can't be original but Trek movies in general feature terrible plots since Insurrection. I personally hate what FC did rewriting and retconning events into ludicrousness but at least they tried being original with show content. Every single movie afterwards just featured expendable often wrinkly faced villians with insufficiently explained revenge complices and a deus ex machina doing evil. While some elements might be nice, the base plot of Trek movies is almost universally boring.

TMP stands out positively since it really tackles the shows spiritual roots, the twok era ones feature excellent character plays but afterwards it gets really wonky imo.

This is what I was getting at. That plot was very similar to Nemesis. All I'm seeing is a rewrite of the other movies. Darkness = Star Trek II. Even down to the Khannn, engine issues that cause a main character to die, etc. Its like they can't be original at all. Soon as I read that one, I'm like why bother seeing Darkness when its a Star Trek II rewrite. I basically know how it goes fully.

I agree the new series of movies, they severely lack in good story. So they make up on it in action. That is how most of your action movies are. Poor story and lots of thrills.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited August 2016
    jexsamx wrote: »

It's amusing to me that the two people here most resistant to Beyond wrote "reviews" that fail in pretty much all the same ways. Crash at least corrected it with a clear-headed viewing and, much to my surprise, not only rated it a 3, but admitted he considered a 4 if it hadn't been for a certain elements bugging him. I would have expected him to give it a 2, honestly.

I'm sorry, but after I couldn't handle 2009 with all the bad acting, horrible story. I may have enjoyed the new series. I kinda could got by with the different Tech used. I didn't feel like watching some snob brat with Captain Entitlement as a name running around. Then after I saw the write up on Darkness, it was a Star Trek II clone. So I'm like if I want to see Star Trek II, I rather watch the original. Beyond would be no different. Same Captain Entitlement snob brat, same crappy acting and horrible story.

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Into Darkness is nothing like TWoK in any way shape or form. The single homage (or ham fisted attempt at such) was the Warp Core realignment and subsequent death followed by immediate magical resurrection.

There is no S31 in TWoK, no impending war with the Klingons, no Marcus, and no Vengeance. Nothing about Harrison resembles anything in TWoK in any way. He has more of a relationship with Spock than he does Kirk. Hell, Harrison isn't even the primary antagonist, he's the guy who designs Marcus' ship then kills him for his abuse of Harrison and his crew. No Genesis, no side plot with Kirk fearing growing up.

You've obviously not watched ID, only read the synopsis as you have with Beyond.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    artan42 wrote: »
    Into Darkness is nothing like TWoK in any way shape or form. The single homage (or ham fisted attempt at such) was the Warp Core realignment and subsequent death followed by immediate magical resurrection.

There is no S31 in TWoK, no impending war with the Klingons, no Marcus, and no Vengeance. Nothing about Harrison resembles anything in TWoK in any way. He has more of a relationship with Spock than he does Kirk. Hell, Harrison isn't even the primary antagonist, he's the guy who designs Marcus' ship then kills him for his abuse of Harrison and his crew. No Genesis, no side plot with Kirk fearing growing up.

You've obviously not watched ID, only read the synopsis as you have with Beyond.​​

True, Khan isn't even remotely the same. In TWoK, his much touted superhuman intelligence amounted to him quoting Moby TRIBBLE and Paradise Lost. He was also very set on revenge against Kirk, and that worked against him. For instance, Kirk easily baits him into the nebula, where Kirk's experience gives him the advantage. And I'm still annoyed that Khan actually fell for the "repair estimates" trick.

In ID, however, he has none of these problems. He keeps a clear head throughout the movie, and it's only when he has already been defeated that he loses it. His only mistake was underestimating how ruthless or deceptive Spock could be.

TBH, I think people view TWoK through some massive nostalgia filters. Sure Khan was ruthless, and there was that "I remember that guy!" factor. But he was imo kinda dumb.

*runs for cover*
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.

Star Trek II - Khan * Star Trek Darkness - Khan
    Yep both are in it. Same Khan with super strength, etc.

Star Trek II - A main character gets killed in Engineering * Darkness - A main character gets killed in Engineering
    Okay more of the same, just the different character.

Star Trek II - They fight Khan and used Khannnn * Darkness - They fight Khan and used Khannnnn
    Yep more of the same.

Star Trek II - Dr Marcus * Darkness - Marcus
    Yay we have the same woman in it too. More of the same.

Star Trek III - Main character is brought back from dead * Darkness - Main character is brought back from dead.
    Okay they took a little from III, but still the same.

Star Trek II - Enterprise gets torn up. *Darkness - Enterprise gets torn up.
    Yay more of the same.

Need I need to say more. A copy of each other. Why bother watching a reboot of the same movie.

edited August 2016
    Star Trek II - Khan * Star Trek Darkness - Khan
    Yep both are in it. Same Khan with super strength, etc.

Other than sharing a name Harrison and Khan are nothing alike so minus one point for your attempt to make it seem like either film is related.
    Star Trek II - A main character gets killed in Engineering * Darkness - A main character gets killed in Engineering
    Okay more of the same, just the different character.

Yes, just like Nemesis. So minus one for not calling ID a rip off of Nemesis.
    Star Trek II - They fight Khan and used Khannnn * Darkness - They fight Khan and used Khannnnn
    Yep more of the same.

That's the same point as above not a separate one so minus one point for splitting your nitpicking down frame by frame.
    Star Trek II - Dr Marcus * Darkness - Marcus
    Yay we have the same woman in it too. More of the same.

Both Generations and Nemesis have Worf in = Nemesis is a rip off of Generations. I don't think you understand how characters in film franchises work. So minus another point for stupidity.
    Star Trek III - Main character is brought back from dead * Darkness - Main character is brought back from dead.
    Okay they took a little from III, but still the same.

Oh look, something not even from TWoK you think they're copying from it, minus one point for going agains your own ridiculous premise.
    Star Trek II - Enterprise gets torn up. *Darkness - Enterprise gets torn up.
    Yay more of the same.

Oh look, you've described every single ST film except IV. Minus 12 points for pretending it's an example of ID being the same films as TWoK.
    Need I need to say more. A copy of each other. Why bother watching a reboot of the same movie.

Yes, please say more, maybe make real argument this time. Show me Marcus in TWoK please. Show me Genesis in ID. Show me the impending Klingon-Federation war in TWoK. Show me an age fearing Kirk in ID. You know, actual plot points not similarities that maybe make up 6 minutes of the film at most. Also, try watching the film rather than just reading about it, you might get your questions answered.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

edited August 2016
    Yes, please say more, maybe make real argument this time. Show me Marcus in TWoK please. Show me Genesis in ID. Show me the impending Klingon-Federation war in TWoK. Show me an age fearing Kirk in ID. You know, actual plot points not similarities that maybe make up 6 minutes of the film at most. Also, try watching the film rather than just reading about it, you might get your questions answered.​​

Meet Carol Marcus: Star Trek II
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Carol_Marcus

Meet Carol Marcus: Darkness
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Carol_Marcus_(alternate_reality)

Go watch some Trek movies. Then come back to me. Bottom line, Darkness is a Trek II reboot. Nothing more.

Yes, please say more, maybe make real argument this time. Show me Marcus in TWoK please. Show me Genesis in ID. Show me the impending Klingon-Federation war in TWoK. Show me an age fearing Kirk in ID. You know, actual plot points not similarities that maybe make up 6 minutes of the film at most. Also, try watching the film rather than just reading about it, you might get your questions answered.

Meet Carol Marcus: Star Trek II
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Carol_Marcus

Meet Carol Marcus: Darkness
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Carol_Marcus_(alternate_reality)

Go watch some Trek movies. Then come back to me. Bottom line, Darkness is a Trek II reboot. Nothing more.

Oh look, you've addressed nothing except the fact the character is in both films, a point by the way, I did nothing to refute because it's meaningless. Then followed up by an attempt to reverse the debate as though I was the one missing crucial evidence by not watching the films.

If you're going to talk about something (a film in this case) actually make sure you watch the thing and don't just rely on synopses to formulate an argument. If it was a show it might be different, it's time consuming to watch several hundred hours of episodes, but a two hour film is not hard to watch.

Bottomest line the two films share some of the characters and a broken engine fixed with sacrifice and that's all.​​

#TASforSTO

[

Oh look, you've addressed nothing except the fact the character is in both films, a point by the way, I did nothing to refute because it's meaningless. Then followed up by an attempt to reverse the debate as though I was the one missing crucial evidence by not watching the films.

If you're going to talk about something (a film in this case) actually make sure you watch the thing and don't just rely on synopses to formulate an argument. If it was a show it might be different, it's time consuming to watch several hundred hours of episodes, but a two hour film is not hard to watch.

Bottomest line the two films share some of the characters and a broken engine fixed with sacrifice and that's all.​​

You asked show me Marcus, where I stated both films had her. Seems you forgot all about the Star Trek II Marcus, since they redid Star Trek II to make it into Darkness. At least that is how your head canon works.

[

Bottomest line the two films share some of the characters and a broken engine fixed with sacrifice and that's all.

You asked show me Marcus, where I stated both films had her. Seems you forgot all about the Star Trek II Marcus, since they redid Star Trek II to make it into Darkness. At least that is how your head canon works.

Admiral Marcus you plank. Not Carol. Are you really that daft?​​

#TASforSTO

edited August 2016
    [

Bottomest line the two films share some of the characters and a broken engine fixed with sacrifice and that's all.

I was talking about Carol. You didn't read it right. Read it again.

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    pig-25.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    [

I was talking about Carol. You didn't read it right. Read it again.

And he was asking you to point out Admiral Marcus in TWoK. Don't accuse someone else of not reading what you posted properly when you didn't read what they posted properly.

In reference to Carol Marcus, there is literally no romance between Kirk and Marcus in Into Darkness, unlike The Wrath of Khan where they're old flames.

Into Darkness had many problems, but it was not a rehash of TWoK. Plot-wise, they're completely different movies. Everything you've pointed out represent (poorly-executed) references to TWoK. Khan isn't even the main villain of Into Darkness, Admiral Marcus is (something you'd know if you'd actually watched the movie). 'To Boldly Go' (ENT) featured events and characters from 'Pegasus' (TNG). Was that a rehash of Pegasus? No, what it featured from Pegasus were references to the episodes (albeit far better-executed than Into Darkness).
    edited August 2016
    ryan218 wrote: »
    And he was asking you to point out Admiral Marcus in TWoK. Don't accuse someone else of not reading what you posted properly when you didn't read what they posted properly.

Incorrect. I told about Carol Marcus saying they both was in there. As I was going through telling how similar the films was. He said: Show me Marcus in TWoK please He didn't specify. And then got angry, when he was the one didn't ask the right question.

From that I refuse to talk to him anymore over this topic. I won't play any more of his games.

• thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I'd give it a 4 but.........to many WTF's, a motorbike that's been siting around in the Franklin with a full fuel tank that held intact petrol not going anywhere for 100 years that starts up with most likely stale fuel. I wish I had a lawnmower like that.

I highly doubt gas lasting that long. But depending on the amount. Gas usually starts to die in like a month or so. After a while it will turn in to a gel type substance. Then you have no choice to but clean or replace your fuel system including the tank. Even Diesel fuel does this and at time can actually get an algae type stuff growing in it. The offering of bio-fuel here in the States. Its even worse. It can actually make grain of sand type particles in your tank. I know, I have cleaned out my lawn mower fuel system twice. Now I have to either find gas that don't have that junk in it, or add a remover from buying additives.

This is the part where I'm now starting to have issues with the "Walking Dead" series. Its been like 5+ years since it started. Most of the gas would be dead by now. So in reality they would all be walking.

This is another issue I had with JJ Trek. By then they should been far far away from that kind of fuel.

Maybe the crew of the Franklin were familiar with the Minbari. ;)

And now I'm sad because I miss Mr Garibaldi...
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    yep...the movie is bad because they didn't explain in a satisfactory way how they aquired the fuel for the motorcycle./sarcasm
    Go pro or go home
  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Ticked all the right boxes and "Beyond" for me when i saw it, will gladly go see it again before it leaves the cinemas...
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    It would have benefited from not being a Star Trek film. It was a well paced and straightforward action-adventure. It was a bit dull and predictable subjectively, but there were certainly objective merits and it's easy to see how it can be well received. The niggles like the Franklin and stuff are reasons it would have been better to me if it werent for franchise association and my inability to turn my brain off. Equally had the new films been a hard reboot it would have been better. I get that changing timelines changes the past too but I feel any links to the original timeline (even Spock honestly) are best considered coincidental and everything about the reboot films left to themselves without there being any direct links. My rating is low based on subjective opinion (that sped-up construction scene made me cringe) but it's quite an improvement on this timeline's other offerings and I can certainly see how people could love it. Although I will never even dare to deny Shohreh Aghdashloo wasn't wonderful in this film.
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    It would have benefited from not being a Star Trek film. It was a well paced and straightforward action-adventure. It was a bit dull and predictable subjectively, but there were certainly objective merits and it's easy to see how it can be well received. The niggles like the Franklin and stuff are reasons it would have been better to me if it werent for franchise association and my inability to turn my brain off. Equally had the new films been a hard reboot it would have been better. I get that changing timelines changes the past too but I feel any links to the original timeline (even Spock honestly) are best considered coincidental and everything about the reboot films left to themselves without there being any direct links. My rating is low based on subjective opinion (that sped-up construction scene made me cringe) but it's quite an improvement on this timeline's other offerings and I can certainly see how people could love it. Although I will never even dare to deny Shohreh Aghdashloo wasn't wonderful in this film.

The "Past" before the Kelvin Incident, was not changed because of that same incident.
    Supposedly, both universes were pretty much alike up to the point where Nero crosses over, then things started to change.
    (though there seems to be a lot of argumentative discussion of this fact among fans)

There are plenty of ways to reconcile the alterations/differences, just by using the TV show ENTERPRISE and/or the Trek movie First Contact, but sometimes the acrimony of certain fans toward the JJ-Trek movies trumps all.
    <shrug>
    daveyny wrote: »

The "Past" before the Kelvin Incident, was not changed because of that same incident.
    Supposedly, both universes were pretty much alike up to the point where Nero crosses over, then things started to change.
    (though there seems to be a lot of argumentative discussion of this fact among fans)

But that unfortunately leaves the plots holes of the Franklin and why a 24th century ship uses Kelvin timeline stardates. I just think they should be left to their own devices, merits and warts.

But that unfortunately leaves the plots holes of the Franklin and why a 24th century ship uses Kelvin timeline stardates. I just think they should be left to their own devices, merits and warts.

There are no plot holes relating to the Franklin and I don't even get where you're going with the the stardate thing? What's a KT Stardate?​​

#TASforSTO

• themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited August 2016

There are no plot holes relating to the Franklin and I don't even get where you're going with the the stardate thing? What's a KT Stardate?​​

I think he's referring to when Robau tells Ayel that the stardate is "twenty-two thirty-three zero four." Sure it's the Earth year A.D. 2233, but that's not the original stardate system from TOS. I figure since the Kelvin was pre-TOS, they used the Earth year, and switched to "stardates" later.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    edited August 2016

It was called the first warp 4 vessel and was referred to as post Romulan war, that's a pretty big hole.

And yeah as metalstickman says they use use the year and 2 digits as their stardates throughout which is neither TOS nor TNG's method and then the Jellyfish says it was commisioned on "stardate 2387" which is the Kelvin timeline's way of using stardates.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User

It was called the first warp 4 vessel and was referred to as post Romulan war, that's a pretty big hole.

And yeah as metalstickman says they use use the year and 2 digits as their stardates throughout which is neither TOS nor TNG's method and then the Jellyfish says it was commisioned on "stardate 2387" which is the Kelvin timeline's way of using stardates.

They called it the Federation's first Warp 4 vessel. The NX-01 was decommissioned (by a matter of hours) before the Federation Charter was signed, so that's technically true.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    They called it the Federation's first Warp 4 vessel. The NX-01 was decommissioned (by a matter of hours) before the Federation Charter was signed, so that's technically true.

Haha that's a bit of a stretch but a creative argument.