test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Beyond review thread

Comments

• baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Someones gotta keep things canon. Not seeing the JJTroll's doing it.​​

guess what, you do not get to decide what is canon and what isn't...

also, you are evading my statement, because not watching a movie and then rating it or even commenting on its content is the very textbook definition of ignorance.
    No wonder you also hold a religious-like belief to what you consider is the "correct" Star Trek, since ignorance is a common trait found in over-zaelot religious people.

in other words, you are basically representing the "ISIS" of Star Trek

Go pro or go home
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »

guess what, you do not get to decide what is canon and what isn't...

also, you are evading my statement, because not watching a movie and then rating it or even commenting on its content is the very textbook definition of ignorance.
    No wonder you also hold a religious-like belief to what you consider is the "correct" Star Trek, since ignorance is a common trait found in over-zaelot religious people.

in other words, you are basically representing the "ISIS" of Star Trek

I don't think that analogy is helpful in any way, shape or form and strays wildly into the territory of Godwin's Law.

One can hold a religious belief without being ignorant. One can be zealous without being lacking in tolerance and compassion.

Being isolationist about what you consider canon, does not mean that you are going to run into a cinema, and rip up the film reels and then commit acts of terror on the people who insist on watching it and other innocent bystanders who just happen to be in the cinema for other reasons and have no interest in Star Trek.

Such a comparison is inappropriate.

Look, I enjoy the Kelvin timeline films as distinct and separate interpretations/incarnations of Star Trek... they do not hamper my enjoyment of the Prime Timeline. I get that other people don't feel the same and yes, it does grate a bit when they go on about it endlessly... but lets not go down the road of personal attacks just because we can't agree. We're better than that aren't we?
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User

Being isolationist about what you consider canon, does not mean that you are going to run into a cinema, and rip up the film reels and then commit acts of terror on the people who insist on watching it and other innocent bystanders who just happen to be in the cinema for other reasons and have no interest in Star Trek.

Inappropriate? Maybe. Definately exagurated...but for a reason.

But commenting on a film he hasn't even seen, and condescendingly telling everybody who liked it that they are wrong to like it is definately a step into that direction.
    Who knows, there might be people who get just drunk enough and spot a JJ fanboy and beat him up for it. Such action develope from the same sentiment, which is founded in ignorance.
    I'm well aware that we are all just keybord warriors here, but the sentiment is cultivated in such environments and can lead to more real consequences.
    Futurama even joked about it, when Star Trek spawned a religion that tore the world appart because of different interpretations of Trek. So I'm not even the first to make the comparison to fundamentalist religious interpretations.
    Go pro or go home
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    [snip]In other words, you are basically representing the "ISIS" of Star Trek

@askray @jodarkrider
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    the ignorance of the few who haven't even seen the movie, yet feel the need to give their opinion on it is astonishing.

If Star Trek canon errors get your goat, you must have HATED STII:TWoK. I mean:

- The writers forgot that Chekov wasn't ON the Enterprise during it's first season (he wasn't and they make mention in the second season that he just recently joined the crew) and was npot on the ship for the events in 'Space Seed' so Khan wpuld have to somehow be a psychic (or a time traveller to the near Star Trek future) to "never forget" Chekov's face.

- There's also Khan's line of "Two-Hundered years ago, I was a Prince..." when it's really way closer to three.

- Also, how are Khan's followers ALL Blonde, Blue-Eyed, and younger then him when his followers that were all on the S.S. Botany Bay from various ethnic groups (in fact if you look at the scenes where Khan is interacting with them, I don't see a Blonde in the bunch. Given Ceti Alpha VI exploded 6 months after they were left there - would someone really try and claim Khan's original followers mostly dies off - but all the women had Blonde children that Khan raised alone in the wasteland planet that was Ceti Alpha VI?

Then there's the (not canon breaking) but still ridiculous elements like:

- On approach to the Ceti Alpha system, the U.S.S. Reliant's sensors CAN'T tell that Ceti Alpha VI has been destroyed (or that there's a new debris field in the system; or that all the other planets in the system have had their orbits shifted, etc.)

- That Khan and his followers can breathe 'diathene' and other hamful gasses (they were only wearing cloaks and visors, no environment suits - and the Reliat science officer stated as they scanned, that the planet was incapable of supporting life - and Chekov and Terell did beam down in EVA suits.

- That (for whatever reason) Chekov and Terell couldn't contact the Reliant and beam out directly from the cargo container. Their communications must have worked as we had a scene of the Reliant Bridge of Kyle asking them to respond. HAD theyn beamed out, Khan would never have gotten his hands on them.

- Also, as the Enterprise is running into the Mutara Nebula - before it enters, Khan fires (and hits with) a Photon torpedo. Why is this relevant? IF the Reliant WAS in weapons range of the Enterprise, WHY wasn't Khan trying to disable/destroy the ship BEFORE it enters the Nebula?

Yep, with canon SO IMPORTANT among the "true Star Trek fans" - it's no wonder STII:TWoK is at the BOTTOM of most "true Star Trek fans" best Satr Trek movie lists...oh. wait... ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

Inappropriate? Maybe. Definately exagurated...but for a reason.

But commenting on a film he hasn't even seen, and condescendingly telling everybody who liked it that they are wrong to like it is definately a step into that direction.
    Who knows, there might be people who get just drunk enough and spot a JJ fanboy and beat him up for it. Such action develope from the same sentiment, which is founded in ignorance.
    I'm well aware that we are all just keybord warriors here, but the sentiment is cultivated in such environments and can lead to more real consequences.
    Futurama even joked about it, when Star Trek spawned a religion that tore the world appart because of different interpretations of Trek. So I'm not even the first to make the comparison to fundamentalist religious interpretations.

And I'm sure you've noted the irony of this fan attitude, given Star Trek's general opinion to religious thought and rigid adherence to dogma (other than dogmatic adherence to the Prime Directive, I should say).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    How about we spend more time and energy attacking/defending the MOVIE, instead of each other.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    How about we spend more time and energy attacking/defending the MOVIE, instead of each other.
    B)

You've been on these forums a while - do you really think the majority of this fanbase is capable of that kind of maturity?

B)
    ryan218 wrote: »
    B)

You've been on these forums a while - do you really think the majority of this fanbase is capable of that kind of maturity?

B)
    I think at times all of us just get carried away and a moment of reflection can usually get the conversation back on track.

I also think that having the expectation of "things are always bad", isn't much of a help either.

Rather than being an enabler, when I'm being serious, I mostly try to engender my responses in such a way that doesn't entail confrontation, but leaves the subject of my post either laughing or confused.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    B)

B)
    I think at times all of us just get carried away and a moment of reflection can usually get the conversation back on track.

I also think that having the expectation of "things are always bad", isn't much of a help either.

Rather than being an enabler, when I'm being serious, I mostly try to engender my responses in such a way that doesn't entail confrontation, but leaves the subject of my post either laughing or confused.
    B)

Oh, I do the same thing, except I usually remind people they're getting off-topic and that they're not actually helping their points. Sometimes it works, but I never honestly expect it to. :tongue:
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    B)
    I think it would suffice if people avoided to get easily baited. There is no real point to discuss the movie with someone that didn't see it in the first place, unless he/she/it just wanted to hear details about it.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    B)

When I do that, you go all banana on me.​​

Heh...
    Your attacks are somewhat ingenuous though, since you HAVEN'T ACTUALLY SEEN THE DAMN MOVIE!
    hqdefault.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    Don't worry crash, your opinion about the movie is gravely needed to keep the cosmic balance (powered by Defera) to those people who cannot take criticism about it without having to go personal\speculative on the person voicing their opinion instead of considering that the film has some serious cinematic flaws that have nothing to do with "fan battles".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    Oh boy oh boy
    Where to start?

Right then........just a few major bummers.

Finally found a copy ( a major bummer ). You'd think Disney owned the rights to it they way it was wiped from site to site. Only 4 pages in Google? Far out.
    I hope this wasn't something you counted against the movie itself since it has nothing to do with anything.

I will say, though I wish you hadn't, I can't really blame you for piracy. You had exceedingly low expectations of the film, and in your shoes, I would have done the same thing. That's how I avoided spending money on Duke Nukem Forever - bullet effing dodged. That said, I hope you use this method very sparingly...
    Saucer scene, Generations..........yo, rip off to the max, dude. Not cool.
    And immediately you start digging for any reason to dislike the movie. Did you get mad at Best of Both Worlds for separating the saucer? I mean, they already did that in Arsenal of Freedom, so obviously they're just recycling scenes.

God forbid the movies show saucer separation being used for its in-universe intended purpose.
    The ship can go to warp and escape a Quantum Singularity with no warp core ( I don't buy the " there was enough anti-matter in the core, the core it's self was ejected ), so it should be able to go to warp with no nacelle's.
    You're being stupid on purpose here.

Okay, you don't buy the antimatter chamber thing. That's fine. '09 was terrible anyway. So why knock it for fixing the problem you had with the first one? You're pointing it out here like it's somehow wrong or bad, but they actually did something right.
    JJ Kirk you twit, when you see and know of advancing hostile ships, SHIELDS ARE A FIRST PRIORITY not a suggestion. Even if they did fail.
    Literally the first thing Kirk said when hostile intent was made clear was "Red alert, shields up!"
    JJTrek Scotty could of fixed the communicator with two sticks, a rock and the elastic from his Starfleet issued underwear like real Scotty. But he didn't.
    You're seriously just making things up to complain about, aren't you?
    I swear JJTrek Checkov and Scotty kept dropping accents. Wonder if the sound guy kept falling asleep during filming. Then again, it was recorded with a hidden camera in the cinema with Russian subtitles when the aliens spoke, so who knows? And why a English spoken film with Russian subtitles from only the aliens when they spoke their language?
    Anton Yelchin was raised by native Russians, so while his Chekov inflection may have dropped in and out (I didn't notice), his accent certainly didn't. I didn't notice anything odd about Pegg either but if we're being honest, Pegg's Scotty, while fun, is perhaps the least faithful to the original characters in these movies. Dropping out of accent would be the least noticeable thing "off" about his interpretation. Consider this could also be an issue of the quality of your pirated recording.
    I thought that the ship being destroyed in the manner it was, proved that it was made of balsa wood and sticky tape. Even the real Enterprise survived mostly intact when she blew her saucer section and entered the atmosphere. Also, did they remodel the ship, it looks different by the impulse engines and thinner neck?
    Considering how many ships rammed it, I'm shocked it held up as long as it did. It took a couple of charges at the neck to finally sever it. The nacelles hung on for a bit, too, though they went easier.

I believe the ship underwent a refit after Into Darkness, but I try very hard to forget ID so I can't be sure. It definitely has different impulse engines from '09 to Beyond, though.
    Actor's didn't give their all. Unless it was the script. They seemed like.........they where bored or fed up? ( I dunno )
    I never got that impression. Could just be your pirated recording again. I wouldn't say Pine or Saldana were acting their hearts out, but they didn't feel like they were phoning it in either. Urban and Elba were giving it the effort they give everything, which is a lot (seriously these two guys are incredible actors). And Pegg was having a blast, like a kid in a Star Trek candy store, which isn't surprising given his hand in this. As I said earlier, he's a poor Scotty, but he's a blast to watch.
    And a upside.

I did like the music score and JJ Bones description of that awful space station.
    Also like JJ Bones. Sound effect where nice too.
    Not even an acknowledgement of the Kirk/Bones moment on the Enterprise? Or Spock and McCoy's interactions post-landing? You're electing to ignore some textbook Trek. Surely even your jaded eyes could see a glimmer of things past beneath the Apple Store veneer? Or are you so intent to hate blindly that you would make no effort to see what good it has to offer? I'm not saying you have to like the movie, but are you really that incapable of a little objectivity? There is good in this movie, and it's not just Urban's McCoy.
    In all, made it to 40:17 minutes before I just face/pawed, groaned and shut of the media player......and erased the movie.

You never intended to give this movie a chance. You went through the trouble of acquiring a recorded copy and watched less than half of it, but you didn't really watch the movie, you just looked for things you could use to say bad things about it. You complain they get something wrong, you complain they get something right - you just wanted to complain.

Still, at the absolute least, I can no longer say you've never attempted to see it. Even if it was little more than an act to justify more whining.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Don't worry crash, your opinion about the movie is gravely needed to keep the cosmic balance (powered by Defera) to those people who cannot take criticism about it without having to go personal\speculative on the person voicing their opinion instead of considering that the film has some serious cinematic flaws that have nothing to do with "fan battles".

I'm a bit surprised you're defending his inept "review", especially after yours was so thoughtful. I disagree with yours on a lot of points, but you at least gave it real consideration. Crash is just being a child, making up things to hate for hate's sake.

Don't defend him. You're better than that.
    Wait until I see the second half, then crawl out from under your bridge. Ykb9TDM.png​​

I just want it known for the record that, of the numerous ways he could have chosen to respond to my breakdown of his review, his decision was to handwave it away by calling me a troll.

I further want it known for the record that despite knowing exactly what kind of person I was dealing with, I chose to attempt a sharp, thoughtful discussion anyway, and have no excuse for being surprised that this is the kind of response I received.

sigh
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »

I'm a bit surprised you're defending his inept "review", especially after yours was so thoughtful. I disagree with yours on a lot of points, but you at least gave it real consideration. Crash is just being a child, making up things to hate for hate's sake.

Don't defend him. You're better than that.

As I said I find it important to have a opinion like crash's in here as long as we have the far end opposite kind of "reviews" as well. One can very well like or dislike it without the need to explain it further. One can even rightfully say to like or dislike it in the context of the Trek movie history as frankly most of them aren't really that good. But the endless praise for a movie which basically has some of tge worst tropes of modern cinema I can't understand. Maybe it's because the expectations were really low, I don't know.

I'm not sharing crash's opinion, but value the contribution to keep a balanced feel.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I'd give it a 4 but.........to many WTF's, a motorbike that's been siting around in the Franklin with a full fuel tank that held intact petrol not going anywhere for 100 years that starts up with most likely stale fuel. I wish I had a lawnmower like that.

I highly doubt gas lasting that long. But depending on the amount. Gas usually starts to die in like a month or so. After a while it will turn in to a gel type substance. Then you have no choice to but clean or replace your fuel system including the tank. Even Diesel fuel does this and at time can actually get an algae type stuff growing in it. The offering of bio-fuel here in the States. Its even worse. It can actually make grain of sand type particles in your tank. I know, I have cleaned out my lawn mower fuel system twice. Now I have to either find gas that don't have that junk in it, or add a remover from buying additives.

This is the part where I'm now starting to have issues with the "Walking Dead" series. Its been like 5+ years since it started. Most of the gas would be dead by now. So in reality they would all be walking.

This is another issue I had with JJ Trek. By then they should been far far away from that kind of fuel.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Well welcome to IDIC in all sincerity.

But the bike thing? What makes you think it even runs on petrol? There are electric bikes now that make engine noises to give you the bike experience but with a greener power source. The bike could have been charged from the ship (maybe through the deckplating). Even if it wasn't there was plenty of time for it to be refueled inbetween being found and being used as a distraction.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

But the bike thing? What makes you think it even runs on petrol? There are electric bikes now that make engine noises to give you the bike experience but with a greener power source. The bike could have been charged from the ship (maybe through the deckplating). Even if it wasn't there was plenty of time for it to be refueled inbetween being found and being used as a distraction.

That, or we accept that the bike could come from the 2150's or even beyond (I can't remember when exactly the Franklin disappeared). And seeing that by that time we got warp, impulse engines and thrusters and whatever else, I think they can make a bike that doesn't have degradable fuel.

Anyway Crash, nice to see you update your review to a 3/5!
    edited August 2016

Oh look twin exhaust pipes! They could at least make the bike more futuristic.
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A2KLqITJEaZXCg0A4eAsnIlQ?p=star+trek+beyond+motorcycle&fr=yhs-mozilla-003&fr2=p:s,v:v,m:pivot&hsimp=yhs-003&hspart=mozilla#id=12&iurl=http://www.morebikes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2015-12-15-15_44_54-UPDATE_-The-Crew-Of-The-Enterprise-Return-In-First-Trailer-For-STAR-TREK-BEYOND.png&action=click

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Yes and? Do they vent anything are are they a style choice? if the do vent is it fuel vapoures or maybe water vapour from the hydrogen fuel or even just emissions from the futuristic fuel used.

Don't misconstrued my argument to be about the bike specifically having to be electric. My point is that there are ways it could still work without the fuel drying up.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    farmallm wrote: »

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A2KLqITJEaZXCg0A4eAsnIlQ?p=star+trek+beyond+motorcycle&fr=yhs-mozilla-003&fr2=p:s,v:v,m:pivot&hsimp=yhs-003&hspart=mozilla#id=12&iurl=http://www.morebikes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2015-12-15-15_44_54-UPDATE_-The-Crew-Of-The-Enterprise-Return-In-First-Trailer-For-STAR-TREK-BEYOND.png&action=click

I was just about to mention this.

Although, to be fair, it's not quite as silly as, say, someone surviving without a brain (I don't care if he is a Vulcan!), starships turning with absolutely no inertia and banking to turn (every Trek show except TOS) and light existing inside a nebula like there's a star, when that should be completely impossible (DS9, TNG, Voyager and yes, Beyond).

My point being, Star Trek isn't immune to wantonly violating the laws of physics et all for the sake of plot. I think we can forgive Star Trek Beyond for that.

Also, I draw your attention to Babylon 5, where Lennier built a replica Earth motorcycle to run on a fusion battery, and it still had tailpipes. Just because it has tailpipes, doesn't necessarily mean they're being used for anything. It could just be a replica trait, etc.
    After watching it with a clear head ( lack of sleep, slight health problem fixed now, bad mood for weeks. I should of waited ) I have to give it a 3.

I'd give it a 4 but.........to many WTF's, a motorbike that's been siting around in the Franklin with a full fuel tank that held intact petrol not going anywhere for 100 years that starts up with most likely stale fuel. I wish I had a lawnmower like that.

Plus I had to read the plot on Wikipedia as I got confused and lost a bit near the end.

But it allowed me to understand JJTrek and the alternate universe and why it's now called Kelvin Timeline ( Should be Kelvin Universe, but what ya gonna do? ).
    There was going to be slight and massive changes to their Trek universe. I did forget my dimensional physics and theory's, I was lead to believe by haters, media and mismatched misinformation that it was a re-write of TOS. It wasn't, just what happened when the U.S.S. Kelvin unfortunately found Nero in a bad mood after ploughing into their universe from a uncontrolled Quantum Singularity set off by Spock to save Romulus from the raging spacial tear from the supernova. ( or was it shockwave? )

I'll re-watch the first two, they should make sense to me now as it's no different to say DS9 or Enterprise. It's just a new movie series.

I'm also dragon enough to admit that I was wrong about it not being Star Trek as well as a bloody idiot to others who tried to show me. But not the attackers. I did my share, but some just went full overload, and that also may have helped me sort things out. I never want to return to being like them.​​

YAY! As artan said, welcome to the IDIC family.

YAY! You recognize that the Abrams movies are not just a rewrite of the whole franchise. A ridiculous amount of people who watched the first movie kept being angry about the movie's events being "non-canon," even though the characters pretty much flat out tell the audience that this is an alternate timeline.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    *points at VOY: "The 37s"*

You and I caught that, but remember, at the end of the day it's a movie written by people who have probably not done any serious work on cars. Even me, I can rotate tires and change oil, filters, and spark plugs, even install a stereo if I've got a guide to go by (just finished putting a sweet little Pioneer number in my '01 Forester), but anything more serious than that and I need a mechanic. I just mentally insert a scene where Scotty whips up some technobabble additive to clear the carburetors. We already have gas additives to deal with ethanol (especially for long-term storage like in the lawnmower you mentioned) so that's not much of a stretch.

Personally I've got it in my headcanon that most modern ground vehicles in Star Trek, especially pre-replicators or on the fringeworlds, run off petroleum fuel cells (yes, those exist). It'd be easier to store for one thing: unlike hydrogen, gasoline and diesel are liquids at room temperature.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/

I was just about to mention this.

Although, to be fair, it's not quite as silly as, say, someone surviving without a brain (I don't care if he is a Vulcan!), starships turning with absolutely no inertia and banking to turn (every Trek show except TOS) and light existing inside a nebula like there's a star, when that should be completely impossible (DS9, TNG, Voyager and yes, Beyond).

My point being, Star Trek isn't immune to wantonly violating the laws of physics et all for the sake of plot. I think we can forgive Star Trek Beyond for that.

Also, I draw your attention to Babylon 5, where Lennier built a replica Earth motorcycle to run on a fusion battery, and it still had tailpipes. Just because it has tailpipes, doesn't necessarily mean they're being used for anything. It could just be a replica trait, etc.

Who knows what it ran on. Unless the ones saw the movie can tell they saw exhaust coming out of them. I know they do things in movies like this to create action scenes and etc. I was mainly joking when I did that.

edited August 2016
    Okay, since I refuse to see the movie. However I did read the Synopsis on IMDB. I use that site to see what kind of movie it was. Specially when I kinda don't want to see. Just in case it proves worthy of attention later. This is how I did the 2009 and Darkness.

Anyways, lets see.

KU Kirk is bored after 3 yrs into his mission. And wants a Desk Job. Really, bored looking at all kinds of new life and stuff. Guess he didn't see much out there during that time.

He applies for a Vice Admiral. This is shocking. Just like in the 2009, I see the KU has no proper ranking system. We just promote to what we feel like. Which later in the movie he got the position, but turned it down. Talk about some serious Entitlement.

They get a distress call and get destroyed due to a man wanting an bio weapon. That was fast. Then again what you expect, I'm surprised it lasted this long way they are reckless.

KU Scotty find a girl alien and the Franklin. KU McCoy and KU Spock is wondering around. We see the main villain is a Vampire. And the weapon turns people into dust. Sounds like something copied from Nemesis here. Vampire looking people and a weapon that turns others in to dust. Not much on being Original, KU is bad about that.

They stopped him from destroying a station and killed him. And finding out he was someone from Earth. Really 2 movies with a bad guy from Earth. I guess they ran out of ideas on something new for threats. At least something from Space itself. This is where TMP and IV was good. A real space threat and original.

From other places I read up on. They told the Franklin was built in space. That is why it couldn't take off easily. But the KU Enterprise was built on land. So it could. So yeah, that makes plenty of sense. But the KU Enterprise A is built in space at the end. Why not on ground again as that seems the best method? Talk about some serious complications on story here. As they try to fit in stuff to make it right. Its like they are very confused on what to do. I guess next they will try to build starships underground or in the depths of an ocean.

In all, makes me glad I didn't see it. I read enough to get a decent idea.

[snip]

You got a very fragmented version of the story, colored entirely by your own preconceptions. Not exactly a "decent idea."
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.
    [snip]

You got a very fragmented version of the story, colored entirely by your own preconceptions. Not exactly a "decent idea."

I read the entire thing, and did a summary of my thoughts. No different than the rest. At least I looked into it.

[snip]

I read the entire thing, and did a summary of my thoughts. No different than the rest. At least I looked into it.

Come on. If even crashdragon gave the movie a chance...
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.