test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Beyond review thread

Comments

• ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    ryan218 wrote: »
    They called it the Federation's first Warp 4 vessel. The NX-01 was decommissioned (by a matter of hours) before the Federation Charter was signed, so that's technically true.

Haha that's a bit of a stretch but a creative argument.

Hey, it's not the first time Star Trek's narrowly avoided breaking its own continuity because we grasp at straws to explain them. ;)

It does also sorta depend on how you determine the nature of Starfleet pre- and post-Federation Founding. Many here would argue they're two separate organisations, others would say ENT Starfleet (or UESPA) became the Federation Starfleet, and others still would say Starfleet is still UESPA (myself included) and managed by Earth, but simply happens to be the best-equipped Federation 'military' force to respond to threats. If you subscribe to either of the first two theories, then the statement about the Franklin can also be explained as it being the first Warp 4 ship of the 'new' Starfleet.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User

Hey, it's not the first time Star Trek's narrowly avoided breaking its own continuity because we grasp at straws to explain them. ;)

Well you are certainly right there.

It does also sorta depend on how you determine the nature of Starfleet pre- and post-Federation Founding. Many here would argue they're two separate organisations, others would say ENT Starfleet (or UESPA) became the Federation Starfleet, and others still would say Starfleet is still UESPA (myself included) and managed by Earth, but simply happens to be the best-equipped Federation 'military' force to respond to threats. If you subscribe to either of the first two theories, then the statement about the Franklin can also be explained as it being the first Warp 4 ship of the 'new' Starfleet.

I think they said the Franklin fought the Romulans. Although it may have just been the captain that served in the war, I can't remember 100% but yeah I think Earth Starfleet just sort of evolved into Federation Starfleet. Maybe the MACOs still exist as Earth's exclusive forces just like there's still a Vulcan High Command (yeah in ENT it was dissolved but one of Seven's personalities referred to Vulcan High Command so presumably it was re-organised, now I'm the one grasping at straws)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »

The "Past" before the Kelvin Incident, was not changed because of that same incident.
    Supposedly, both universes were pretty much alike up to the point where Nero crosses over, then things started to change.
    (though there seems to be a lot of argumentative discussion of this fact among fans)

But that unfortunately leaves the plots holes of the Franklin and why a 24th century ship uses Kelvin timeline stardates. I just think they should be left to their own devices, merits and warts.

There are no plot holes relating to the Franklin and I don't even get where you're going with the the stardate thing? What's a KT Stardate?

I think he's referring to when Robau tells Ayel that the stardate is "twenty-two thirty-three zero four." Sure it's the Earth year A.D. 2233, but that's not the original stardate system from TOS. I figure since the Kelvin was pre-TOS, they used the Earth year, and switched to "stardates" later.

There are no plot holes relating to the Franklin and I don't even get where you're going with the the stardate thing? What's a KT Stardate?

It was called the first warp 4 vessel and was referred to as post Romulan war, that's a pretty big hole.

And yeah as metalstickman says they use use the year and 2 digits as their stardates throughout which is neither TOS nor TNG's method and then the Jellyfish says it was commisioned on "stardate 2387" which is the Kelvin timeline's way of using stardates.

Two date systems, one is the the year which ENT used as a stardate (and the Kelvin as well) and which it's possible the Vulcans still use in 2387. The other is the standard stardate system in use from after the Kelvin's time.

As for the Franklin, it sounds to me like it was the first warp four ship that was later commissioned into the Federation. As Earth was part of the Federation it's a shared glory type thing wrapped in a figure of speech. It's still done now to refer to things are belonging to a nation or the like that exists not but that didn't back when the thing happened.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    Why are you arguing about the KT films with someone who has proudly boasted elsewhere that he has not seen them, and refuses to do so?​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    jonsills wrote: »
    Why are you arguing about the KT films with someone who has proudly boasted elsewhere that he has not seen them, and refuses to do so?

Isn't that part of the raison d'être of Trekkies?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User

Well you are certainly right there.

I think they said the Franklin fought the Romulans. Although it may have just been the captain that served in the war, I can't remember 100% but yeah I think Earth Starfleet just sort of evolved into Federation Starfleet. Maybe the MACOs still exist as Earth's exclusive forces just like there's still a Vulcan High Command (yeah in ENT it was dissolved but one of Seven's personalities referred to Vulcan High Command so presumably it was re-organised, now I'm the one grasping at straws)

Putting a spoiler for those who haven't seen the film yet.
    It was just the Captain: he'd been a MACO before the Federation was founded and MACO was disbanded.
  • dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    The only explanation I can think of for the Franklin that makes any sense is that she was a United Earth vessel (Scotty even says as such) that predated the NX-01 (hence the top speed of warp 4), and she was pressed into service in the romulan wars (2156-2160). After the war when the Federation was founded the Franklin remained in service and was folded into the newborn Federation and given the captain Edison.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Two date systems, one is the the year which ENT used as a stardate (and the Kelvin as well) and which it's possible the Vulcans still use in 2387. The other is the standard stardate system in use from after the Kelvin's time.

ENT just uses it as the date not as the stardate. The Kelvin timeline films have specifically said stardate 2233.04 2258.42, 2259.55 which isnt just the date, these are this universe's way of using stardates and so "stardate 2387" isnt just using the year it's using KT stardates and makes no sense if it were from the original timeline.

I mean it's not like Star Trek as a whole isnt without plotholes but it's not like the Kelvin films are airtight either.

Putting a spoiler for those who haven't seen the film yet.
    It was just the Captain: he'd been a MACO before the Federation was founded and MACO was disbanded.

Ahh I remember the Xindi and Romulans were mentioned but couldn't remember if it was just him or the Franklin :)