test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Beyond review thread

rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
edited July 2016 in Ten Forward
So first of all, lets rate the movie on a scale of 0-5. I'll post my review later on.

Star Trek Beyond review thread 89 votes

3%
farmallmcrashdragondaviesdavies 3 votes
0%
2%
jcswwnrobbiec 2 votes
10%
garaks31hawku001xmustrumridcully0redvengeangrytargwildthyme467989tarran61chr22taylor1701d 9 votes
47%
kesselrunner#0768horridpersonjasecurtisrahmkota19captainoblivoustiekosorajkbennett2008dracounguishyplryan218mhall85eldarion79dlmc85sinn74azniadeetksathra2thelunarboyneoakiraiisohtohtritan2409 42 votes
37%
comrademocotrygvar13shpoksalexraptorrtimelords1701themetalstickmancrypticarmsmandaveynyartan42isthissciencelordsteve1psycoticvulcaniconiansrattler2thunderfoot#5163thay8472nikeixsnoggymack22bulldogmacraggejake477 33 votes

Comments

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Loved it. Top to bottom it was quite a fun Star Trek experience. Gonna go see it again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    I was a fan as well, I didn't give a 5/5 because I know better Trek movies, but this movie was damn good.

The following is a short review including spoilers. Read at your own risk.
    I think the U.S.S. Franklin reaching warp 4 as the first was a bit odd, seeing it was the NX-326, but then it wouldn't be Trek without the continuity errors. I loved all the references to TOS, such as the giant green hand, Commander Finnegan and others. I think that Krall could have been fleshed out just a bit more: we only know he is a conservative former MACO member who doesn't believe in the ideas of the Federation. So he wants them to join in wars against..... himself? I did think that the good guys had some good character developments. We could clearly see the hand of Simon Pegg in the humour in this movie, such as in the very first scene. And the action was terrific. Especially the destruction of the Enterprise that early on, with the breaking off of the warp nacelles, was epic to see, even though it is always sad to see a hero ship being blown up.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    For those that have seen it, does it ends with a shot of a new Enterprise? And if so, does it have a new design?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    For those that have seen it, does it ends with a shot of a new Enterprise? And if so, does it have a new design?

Answered your question in a PM.
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User

yes and yes
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Beyond has me thinking about something.
    Is Krall still around in the prime timeline? Possible future content for STO perhaps?
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    To see those JJ joke trek movies is a waste of my time. You can't even pay me $ to see them.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Absolutely Loved It!

9 out of 10.
    My only nit is that there are a few spots where the scenes were too dark to see what was going on, but that might have been because of the 3D glasses, so I reserve that last point for when I see it again in 2D.

The ending was fantastic, wonderful call backs to all the Trek that has come before.

And the new BIG E, is back to looking like She should.
    (PLEASE Cryptic, get THAT Enterprise in the game ASAP!!)

Also loved the USS Franklin.

Can't wait to see it again!!
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    farmallm wrote: »
    To see those JJ joke trek movies is a waste of my time. You can't even pay me $ to see them.

Joke, alas, is on you my friend. This is Pegg-Trek, not JJ Trek. You're missing out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I thought it was good, better than the last one. But I dislike the modern close up camera action where you can't see anything but an elbow here and a punch there. Story was good. I now know why WE got the KT Enterprise... they destroyed it and made the 1701-A! Not quite the make-over the Connie got in the Prime universe; just some subtle differences from what I could see in the few seconds you get to see it.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I thought it was good, better than the last one. But I dislike the modern close up camera action where you can't see anything but an elbow here and a punch there. Story was good. I now know why WE got the KT Enterprise...
    they destroyed it and made the 1701-A! Not quite the make-over the Connie got in the Prime universe; just some subtle differences from what I could see in the few seconds you get to see it.
    They put the neck back in the right place and it appears that they have gone and borrowed a bit from Gabe Koerner's style...

https://youtu.be/giZ0VScAMaI
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I thought the Franklin was a ship that predates the NX-01, but it seems to have been built after? Doesn't make sense if it was the first Warp 4 ship.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    I've watched ST:Beyond at the premiere in my country and without resorting to any spoilers considering the people that haven't watched the movie yet - it's easily the best Star Trek movie so far IMHO. I am surprised in a very positive way.
    And this is coming from mainly a TNG fan, someone that grew up with TNG and considered the first two J.J. movies ok as far as a Star Trek flick goes, but wasn't really impressed with them. I really liked beyond in comparison.
    Loved it. Top to bottom it was quite a fun Star Trek experience. Gonna go see it again.

Yup, considering going to the cinema once again myself as well. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
    daveyny wrote: »
    I thought it was good, better than the last one. But I dislike the modern close up camera action where you can't see anything but an elbow here and a punch there. Story was good. I now know why WE got the KT Enterprise...
    they destroyed it and made the 1701-A! Not quite the make-over the Connie got in the Prime universe; just some subtle differences from what I could see in the few seconds you get to see it.
    They put the neck back in the right place and it appears that they have gone and borrowed a bit from Gabe Koerner's style...

I can't hold it back any longer!
    1- Kirk acted like Kirk in this movie. Very captain-y, very adult. You see an actual shift in his demeanor and in how the crew reacts to him.
    2- The way they split the crew up and put them on different environments on the same planet was really effective. You got development in little vingettes for quite a bit of the crew, and it helped break the old trope of the "ice planet" the "desert planet" type thing.
    3- The way they used the wreckage of the Enterprise on the surface of the planet was very clever and for the first time made me feel like there was a purpose to destroying the main ship.
    4- The raising of the Franklin adds a very powerful phoenix like effect to the whole arc. It's Kirk realizing the strength is in the crew, and it's the crew triumphing over the planet by making it off the world. It's a connection to the past that galvanizes the crew's purpose and overall the point of Starfleet. And it just looks wicked cool.
    5- Krall is awesome.
    6- The easter eggs! The photo from the original movies crew! The Franklin as an NX class vessel, the references to the Xindi and the Romulan War, the footage of the Franklin's crew in ENT era uniforms.
    7- The Yorktown station is an impressive addition to Trek canon. It's look and its purpose are amazing.
    8- Admiral Paris! What what!
    9- The unveiling of the Ent-A was nifty. If you figure out the timing of this, it's 3 years into the 5 year mission. Which is when the original series ended. So they're kind of riffing on the original timeline but still doing it different.
    10- One of my favorite lines is Kirk telling his log that lately his life had become "episodic"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    Crash, farm, we all know you're never going to like any Trek film unless it's a snore-fest to rival Insurrection or TMP, or just over-the-top stupid like the last half of Insurrection and about 90% of Nemesis. There's really no need to fill every thread with your "I hate JJTrek" TRIBBLE - especially when the thread specifically requests reviews of a movie you haven't watched and aren't willing to watch.

I'm asking you nicely - please either knock it off or find something else to be a fan of. We've got enough toxic Trekkies running around in Chat.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    How about we make the calls on moderation?
    Post edited by askray on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited July 2016

Joke, alas, is on you my friend. This is Pegg-Trek, not JJ Trek. You're missing out.

Nah, the joke is on you big time. Its still JJ Trek, JJ is producer so he is still part of it. I'm not missing out.

edited July 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    Crash, farm, we all know you're never going to like any Trek film unless it's a snore-fest to rival Insurrection or TMP, or just over-the-top stupid like the last half of Insurrection and about 90% of Nemesis. There's really no need to fill every thread with your "I hate JJTrek" **** - especially when the thread specifically requests reviews of a movie you haven't watched and aren't willing to watch.

I'm asking you nicely - please either knock it off or find something else to be a fan of. We've got enough toxic Trekkies running around in Chat.​​

Temper tantrum Jonsills. I'm heading out of this thread.
    Post edited by farmallm on

Nah, the joke is on you big time. Its still JJ Trek, JJ is producer so he is still part of it. I'm not missing out.

If you'd seen what the rest of us reviewing the film had seen, you'd understand what is meant by Pegg-Trek a lot better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you'd seen what the rest of us reviewing the film had seen, you'd understand what is meant by Pegg-Trek a lot better.

Why, the first set the stage for the whole series. I hated the 1st, so why bother. I can wait it out for a better series that is new from the ground up.

Why, the first set the stage for the whole series. I hated the 1st, so why bother. I can wait it out for a better series that is new from the ground up.

Well in the context of this particular thread, to offer a "review" you kind of need to see the film you reviewed.

But in the general context of being a Star Trek fan, this movie's a very good Star Trek movie. So if you liked the Enterprise when Kirk was captain, and want to see something new with that kind of hook, this is an amazing example of that.

Those are the best answers to the question of why I can come up with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well in the context of this particular thread, to offer a "review" you kind of need to see the film you reviewed.

But in the general context of being a Star Trek fan, this movie's a very good Star Trek movie. So if you liked the Enterprise when Kirk was captain, and want to see something new with that kind of hook, this is an amazing example of that.

Those are the best answers to the question of why I can come up with.

For my last reply here. Since your right its for the ones have saw it. I highly doubt KU Kirk changed and the rest of it. Still be the same people from the 2009. Believe me, I can't wait a long long time to finally see a good Trek movie. Enjoy the series, I will be waiting for something new and better.

• rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Everybody just relax.

I predicted people blindly voting 0/5 without actually seeing the movie.
    And even though it is disappointing that this happens....... that is what the 0 is for.

I highly doubted anybody would rate this movie a 0/5 after seeing it, so just ignore the 0/5. Ignore everybody voting on it without actually seeing the movie, and lets just have a nice reviewing session with those of us who did go see Beyond.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    daveyny wrote: »

There's some (low quality) shots already posted on the interwebs:
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I enjoyed it.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I enjoyed it. This movie was a little bit more Trek than the others. Just some minor nitpicks:
    1) A commodore can't offer you a Vice Admiral (three star) position.
    2) I dislike space stations that starships have to go inside to dock. Yes I also dislike ESD. If a massive Romulan or Klingon fleet were to decloak and attack all those ships inside are toast.
    3) Really hoped we'd get away from the "A, B,C,D" naming thing. Just never been a fan of it. What happens when 26 ships named Enterprise come and go "Enterprise - AA"
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    As someone who really doesn't like JJ-Trek, I totally love this movie! Gives me hope for the franchise again. Thank you Pegg!

However, there is one thing that spoils it for me;
    Scotty says the Franklin was the "first warp four" ship, but it comes after NX-01! Aside from that, it fits. If he had said warp six - I'd be cool with it all. Totally ruined it. Unwatchable. Damn you Pegg!
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    As someone who really doesn't like JJ-Trek, I totally love this movie! Gives me hope for the franchise again. Thank you Pegg!

However, there is one thing that spoils it for me;
    Scotty says the Franklin was the "first warp four" ship, but it comes after NX-01! Aside from that, it fits. If he had said warp six - I'd be cool with it all. Totally ruined it. Unwatchable. Damn you Pegg!
    Not really
    The Franklin could still be the first warp four ship...stay in commission after Enterprise is commissioned...and still be active after the founding of the Federation.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Lets not make this about Farmallm, he hates it for being tainted by JJ, and no one is going to convince him otherwise, and he has every right to his opinion, reporting him for spam falsely is censorship and wrong.

And Insurrection was a good movie, but its an aquired taste.

That being said calling it PeggTrek is 100% accurate. Its like the JJverse got a transfusion of what made the Prime Universe great, without crapping on JJ, a fusion of the best parts of both.

Hands down the best Star Trek I've ever seen. Seriously I had a hard time believing it when I realized it.

It hands down beats the two JJverse movies, no contest.

Nemisis, loved the Scorpion Fighter, did not love the movie, didn't hate it either.

Insurrection I loved, I actually enjoyed the tranquility and I want a holodeck ship, but Beyond was more fun.

First Contact, I liked parts like the use of the Defiant and Barkly, but hated the Borg Queen, which removed any hope for any sort of moral complexity from the Borg, just turned them into a mechanized insect colony.

Generations was mild fun.

Undiscovered Country was a mixed bag, but was mostly cool.

Final Frontier I really liked, but most people don't, I can't really explain why I liked it. But its not as good as Beyond.

The one with the whales is light fun.

The search for Spock was really good, but I like Beyond better.

Wrath of Khan, the legendary Wrath of Kahn, the best of the old Star Trek movies and the most beloved by most people. Great movie. But Beyond is better to my shock.

After seeing the trailer I did not have high hopes for this movie, so I'm shocked to find its my favourite having now just watched it.

This is my Spoiler free review, I'll do one with spoilers later when I've fully absorbed it.

2016 has been a great year for movies, Captain America: Civil War, X-Men Apoclypse, Star Trek: Beyond, all three have become my favourites of their respective lines (Avengers & Linked movies, X-Men movies, and Star Trek movies).

Full disclosure not an Abrams fan, the first two movies had some good moments, but the movies didn't really click for me, clearly not a reflection of the cast.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Definitely the best of the Kelvin Timeline films, leaps and bounds better than STO's current plot, and for me at least, better than First Contact. Krall's motivation turns out to be understandable, the action-comedy is blended well with the Star Trek-ness, and Yorktown Station? Talk about scenery p*rn, WOW!

They even succeeded in making pre-Manny Coto ENT sound like it was something worth watching, which I thought was virtually impossible.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/