test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Oh no! Is this really true? (spoilers)

1235711

Comments

  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Well, let us just call it season 12 from now on and enjoy it just like any other season, and ignore this extremely rare case of a certain person not being good at communicating with the playerbase.

    Let me just pull something out of that quote for you (it does completely contradict your point).

    "but it's at least as much of a new faction as Romulans"

    Remember too how that faction worked. You played a few missions, leveled up, and were then shuffled into the main population when in range of systems doffing and now R+D/Skill training. The story continued though, just with this change of state. We're probably seeing the analogous point now on Tribble (those two words should have really stopped things from getting this far...) for the TOS faction.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Well, let us just call it season 12 from now on and enjoy it just like any other season, and ignore this extremely rare case of a certain person not being good at communicating with the playerbase.

    Sounds reasonable ... might suck for people impulsively buying the AoY-Pack, though ...
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Well, let us just call it season 12 from now on and enjoy it just like any other season, and ignore this extremely rare case of a certain person not being good at communicating with the playerbase.

    Let me just pull something out of that quote for you (it does completely contradict your point).

    "but it's at least as much of a new faction as Romulans"

    I think his point was actually to just ignore whatever "that person" says ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Hell Rise of the Hutt Cartel added more
    Now I want to see "Hell Rise of the Hutt Cartel". Hutt agents discover a certain strange puzzle box... :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    sophlogimo wrote: »

    And apparently, from that very same quote, the marketing people (hey Trendy, we know you tried!) wanted to be more accurate about this. If only the team had listened to marketing. (I never thought I'd ever say that...)

    Huh? Exactly what's the problem here? The current TOS story line brings people forward to 2409 around when players start to interact more with the rest of the population and game systems. What gives you the impression that this is the end to their content (and therefore there's been some kind of miscommunication)? It's just what's on tribble right now. It's no more reasonable to say that the TOS faction is only getting six mission as it would have been to say they were only getting two a few weeks ago.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Well, let us just call it season 12 from now on and enjoy it just like any other season, and ignore this extremely rare case of a certain person not being good at communicating with the playerbase.

    Let me just pull something out of that quote for you (it does completely contradict your point).

    "but it's at least as much of a new faction as Romulans"

    Remember too how that faction worked. You played a few missions, leveled up, and were then shuffled into the main population when in range of systems doffing and now R+D. The story continued though, just with this change of state. We're probably seeing the analogous point now for the TOS faction.

    Yeah, except they don't even give you the choice of "allying" with red or blue, a choice which never actually makes a lick of difference storywise (except for a token case in "Memory Lane" that makes the Republic high command look completely brain-dead). Season 12 characters are just Fed characters with a different tutorial.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

    Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    sophlogimo wrote: »

    And apparently, from that very same quote, the marketing people (hey Trendy, we know you tried!) wanted to be more accurate about this. If only the team had listened to marketing. (I never thought I'd ever say that...)

    Huh? Exactly what's the problem here? The current TOS story line brings people forward to 2409 around when players start to interact more with the rest of the population and game systems. What gives you the impression that this is the end to their content (and therefore there's been some kind of miscommunication)? It's just what's on tribble right now. It's no more reasonable to say that the TOS faction is only getting six mission as it would have been to say they were only getting two a few weeks ago.

    Well there are plenty of "Hints" ... the most obvious one being
    your character actually died in the TOS-Storyline (Mission 6), basically being catapulted to Admiral Quinns Office ... never to return ... because ... well ... you died ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2016

    Well there are plenty of "Hints"
    Hints<Facts

    It's tribble, the devs had said otherwise, the current setup make sense based on how mini-factions are structured. If you're looking for a simple analogy then again the current tribble end-point looks very similar to the choice of faction players make as a ROM. It opens up their channel to R+D and Doffing but doesn't preclude more story content from coming.

    Did you actually bother to read the Spoiler ... "Hint" was supposed to be sarcastic (since your character *****) ... if you don't want to know about Spoilers that's fine however ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I did, I just thought it was a silly reason to assume that's it, no more story, and for a very simple reason.

    It's not much of a [something] if the game keeps going.

    Thats the whole point of the story however ...
    you're going to the 25th century, because you're supposed to be dead in the 23rd ... continuing the story later down the road with "TRIBBLE that I'm back" seems rather silly ... I guess they could "shoehorn" 1 or 2 missions into it ... on some remote planet in the past, using an holo-emitter, not to reveal the truth ... but still ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I'm having to repost this down again here because Vanilla ate my edit again. :P

    Hints<Facts

    It's tribble, the devs had said otherwise, the current setup make sense based on how mini-factions are structured. If you're looking for a simple analogy then again the current tribble end-point looks very similar to the choice of faction players make as a ROM. It opens up their channel to R+D and Doffing but doesn't preclude more story content from coming.
    thutmosis85 wrote:
    Did you actually bother to read the Spoiler ... "Hint" was supposed to be sarcastic (since your character *****) ... if you don't want to know about Spoilers that's fine however ...

    I did, I just thought it was a silly reason to assume that's it, no more story, and for a very simple reason.

    It's obviously not much of a [something] if the game keeps going.

    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »

    And apparently, from that very same quote, the marketing people (hey Trendy, we know you tried!) wanted to be more accurate about this. If only the team had listened to marketing. (I never thought I'd ever say that...)

    Huh? Exactly what's the problem here? The current TOS story line brings people forward to 2409 around when players start to interact more with the rest of the population and game systems. What gives you the impression that this is the end to their content (and therefore there's been some kind of miscommunication)? It's just what's on tribble right now. It's no more reasonable to say that the TOS faction is only getting six mission as it would have been to say they were only getting two a few weeks ago.

    Well, apparently to a lot of people on this thread "everything available on tribble right now" equals "everything that will ever be available", those of us who actually think know just how ridiculous that is, but people who think like that are usually pretty much impossible to convince of the facts, even when those facts become openly available and can be directly shown.

    Typically when it goes up on Tribble, it's essentially finalized other than bug fixes. I believe one of the programmers came out and said that outright back when we had the kerfuffle over the new doffing interface. Again, Cryptic's track record is not in your favor.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

    Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

    Thats the whole point of the story however ...
    you're going to the 25th century, because you're supposed to be dead in the 23rd ... continuing the story later down the road with "TRIBBLE that I'm back" seems rather silly ... I guess they could "shoehorn" 1 or 2 missions into it ... on some remote planet in the past, using an holo-emitter, not to reveal the truth ... but still ...

    Or you become a temporal agent like others in your position have in STO (see the backstory to the FED Delta Recruit contact)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    starswordc wrote: »
    Typically when it goes up on Tribble, it's essentially finalized other than bug fixes. I believe one of the programmers came out and said that outright back when we had the kerfuffle over the new doffing interface. Again, Cryptic's track record is not in your favor.

    That definitely wasn't the case with Delta Rising (from a content perspective). The most you could say for the first missions was that the environment art was mostly there and the objective sequences and writing were in.

    Complete story arc? No way (not by this point). I'm sure in the dev pipeline that stuff was very far along but the nature of this being a test (as opposed to early access) server does stand pretty well (see. progression of AoY tribble content thus far.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2016

    Thats the whole point of the story however ...
    you're going to the 25th century, because you're supposed to be dead in the 23rd ... continuing the story later down the road with "TRIBBLE that I'm back" seems rather silly ... I guess they could "shoehorn" 1 or 2 missions into it ... on some remote planet in the past, using an holo-emitter, not to reveal the truth ... but still ...

    Or you become a temporal agent like others in your position have in STO (see the backstory to the FED Delta Recruit contact)

    We already know that ...
    ... but it still excludes you from going back to your own birth, meeting your own doppelganger. meeting some buddies who think you died etc ... Temporal Prime Directive & stuff ... point being a TOS-Temporal-Agent can basically go to any time period except TOS :pensive:
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016

    Thats the whole point of the story however ...
    you're going to the 25th century, because you're supposed to be dead in the 23rd ... continuing the story later down the road with "TRIBBLE that I'm back" seems rather silly ... I guess they could "shoehorn" 1 or 2 missions into it ... on some remote planet in the past, using an holo-emitter, not to reveal the truth ... but still ...

    Or you become a temporal agent like others in your position have in STO (see the backstory to the FED Delta Recruit contact)

    We already know that ...
    ... but it still excludes you from going back to your own birth, meeting your own doppelganger. meeting some buddies who think you died etc ... Temporal Prime Directive & stuff ... point being a TOS-Temporal-Agent can basically go to any time period except TOS :pensive:

    Which I think
    just points to the AoY sector block being a "low level area" (for which there are precedents in other MMO's.) That fact alone doesn't mean an end to the story (it basically just sets you to being an agent like those in Asimov's The End of Eternity.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Regarding the whole thing about dying and then coming back and people noticing ...

    I'm a just leave this right here:
    DeadSuperHeroes.jpg


    OH and I guess if you want a Star Trek example ...

    star-trek-3-search-for-spock-nimoy-takei.jpg

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Regarding the whole thing about dying and then coming back and people noticing ...

    Also...
    Star-Trek-III-The-Search-for-Spock-1984-movie-poster.jpg

    But at any rate, its strongly advisable that people withhold judgement until there is actually something completed to judge. I know expressing concern is quite thrilling but at this point you really are inventing a cliff for yourself to speed towards. In the end you're still in no danger, but it is avoidable drama (and if it was there there's nothing that could be done about it anyway, so why worry?)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Nope. Do not want.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Regarding the whole thing about dying and then coming back and people noticing ...

    I'm a just leave this right here:
    DeadSuperHeroes.jpg


    OH and I guess if you want a Star Trek example ...

    star-trek-3-search-for-spock-nimoy-takei.jpg
    Except all these people didn't travel in time to actually fake their death "intentionally" ... haunting their relatives & friends "on purpose" afterwards ... Apples & Oranges ... but yes we'll see ... I guess everything is at least "possible" in Sci-Fi ... maybe your toon is just an ***hole ... or Janeway :P
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Except all these people didn't travel in time to actually fake their death "intentionally" ... haunting their relatives & friends "on purpose" afterwards ... Apples & Oranges ... but yes we'll see ... I guess everything is at least "possible" in Sci-Fi ... maybe your toon is just an ***hole ... or Janeway :P
    It doesn't make a blind bit of difference provided Cryptic doesn't delete your TOS character when they "die." Next day they're still available to take on more missions. They won't be set in the TOS sector block but that doesn't mean they can't go off on other temporal adventures to which the FED/ROM/KDF aren't invited. This really looks like character setup, not resolution.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Cryptic needs to just stop calling this an expansion pack; they're abusing the term. An expansion pack should be a full campaign, not an alternate tutorial with a ship pack. AOY is just season 12. And I'll lay even odds that after this season the fact your temporal agent is from TOS will never be referenced ever again and will absolutely never have any significance to the plot.

    Have fun in your TOS fantasyland.

    *IF* TOS missions stop with the 6, then yeah, this is more like a certain Wasteland Workshop "DLC" than an expansion. Hell Rise of the Hutt Cartel added more

    I dunno. I hate Makeb and am glad to see that planet lifeless and strip mined.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hell Rise of the Hutt Cartel added more
    Now I want to see "Hell Rise of the Hutt Cartel". Hutt agents discover a certain strange puzzle box... :smile:

    that would be singularly more interesting than saving Makeb! :D
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Oddly enough, though, the marketing people apparently wanted to downplay the whole notion of it being a faction, but the dev team insisted.

    From Al Rivera's P1 interview:
    "It is a new faction - we were coy about calling it a new faction in the press release - there was some marketing concerns about the connotations of it, but it's at least as much of a new faction as Romulans. It's just technically still Federation, right, it's just Federation from 2270 instead of 2409. It's a new faction, a new starting experience with its own arc, its own content specifically for them."

    Well, let us just call it season 12 from now on and enjoy it just like any other season, and ignore this extremely rare case of a certain person not being good at communicating with the playerbase.

    I disagree with it being a new faction, and nowhere near to being as much a new faction as the romulans.

    as i keep saying over and over, with the romulans faction sure you have the unique storyline up until the point you join with feds or kdf and this may well be the similar for a ToS character baring the fact that you can only join with feds and I'm ok with that part but that's where the similarity ends.

    with the romulans faction you still have your unique maps that other factions cannot visit like new rom command and the romulan flotilla, what unique maps like this will ToS characters have that is only for ToS characters and no other factions?.
    then there is the ships, with the romulan faction you have your own line of free level up ships that only romulan faction characters can fly, how many free level up ships that are unique to ToS characters that no other faction can fly are we going to get?.

    no people the ToS characters are nowhere near to being as much of a new faction as Romulans.

    When I think about everything we've been through together,

    maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

     and if that journey takes a little longer,

    so we can do something we all believe in,

     I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Cryptic needs to just stop calling this an expansion pack; they're abusing the term. An expansion pack should be a full campaign, not an alternate tutorial with a ship pack.
    You are forgetting that its not only the ToS stuff, but theres also a full story arc for everyone + new queues + new rep + new specialization.

    but lets keep up with this BS premise that the ToS stuff is the ONLY stuff in the expansion.
    see the thing that concerns me the most is cryptic is looking at this as the forth faction, we may never get any more factions in the game so no Borg faction, no Cardasian faction, no Breen faction, no Dominion faction or any other faction you care to hope for, as far as cryptic might be concerned we have our forth faction we all hoped for, is this what you hoped it would be.
    To be fair, we were NEVER going to see a Breen faction.

    Gecko said sometime back the only races large enough in popularity to be even remotely considerable for their own factions were
    -Cardassians
    -Borg
    -Jem Hadar
    -Ferengi

    hahahahahahahaha

    A Ferengi faction
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.