What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday Announcement

Comments

• Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Speaking as the son of a US Navy shipbuilding officer (the technical term is engineering duty officer), do you have any idea at all how much retrofitting of the hull, structure, and systems this would require? You'd be practically building a new ship, and in fact doing that would be cheaper.

In any sort of "real world", you would be correct, but this is Star Trek, where the crew of the USS Voyager for example can steal a Borg Transwarp Coil and use it to travel at Transwarp speed with negligible modifications (akin to slapping jet engines onto a B-17 and trying to break the sound barrier with them). Also, this is a game, where we are able to upgrade our engines from Mark I (top speed Warp 5) to Mark XIV (top speed Warp 9.95 or more) and load them into the same mountings on the same ship.

But yes, more believable would be that the ships are "replicas" of the 23rd century ships, built with concealable 25th century systems and materials. Imagine, hypothetically, we wanted to send a ship with the capabilities of the currently-new Zumwalt-class destroyers back in time to the 19th century. We would build a ship that looks like an armored cruiser from that era, but build it with modern guns and concealed missile launchers and radar systems, etc.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    Alright, i haven't read the parevious 24 pages, so sorry if it has been mentioned before.
    If AoY and FED are different factions, will they be able to battle each other when meeting in Kerrat for example?
    From a in universe point of view i'm curious how this makes any sense.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yreodred wrote: »
    Alright, i haven't read the parevious 24 pages, so sorry if it has been mentioned before.
    If AoY and FED are different factions, will they be able to battle each other when meeting in Kerrat for example?
    Yeah, they'll probably have some variation of the alliance mechanic, perhaps being stuck as Fed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User

From what I gathered the TOS faction is going to be a Romulan style faction. Meaning there will be a TOS specific story arc set in a special sector block only accessible to TOS characters. At some point in the character progression the TOS story and our current story will converge at which point you will basically "join" the Federation faction. I assume this will happen as soon as you're allowed to leave the TOS sector block thus making Feds and TOSs battling each other in Kerrat impossible.
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Personally i can't get into this expansion. A new faction based on the TOS series which is a earlier version of an existing faction already in game i.e The Federation which you'll probably end up having to join anyway.
    Why an expansion around this ? why not create a Special Anniversary FE episode set in the TOS timeline with interaction with the original cast to celebrate the 50th anniversary. Or like you do with games birthday a month long special event with prizes/costumes and TOS goodies ?
    Ofc we will have to see how this pans out and ties the TOS series into 2410. But as the game is set in 2410 as a expansion and adding a new faction, it would really have made more sense to add one of the other Alpha/Beta Quadrant powers such as Tholians/Cardassians/Breen.

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Personally i can't get into this expansion. A new faction based on the TOS series which is a earlier version of an existing faction already in game i.e The Federation which you'll probably end up having to join anyway.
    Why an expansion around this ? why not create a Special Anniversary FE episode set in the TOS timeline with interaction with the original cast to celebrate the 50th anniversary. Or like you do with games birthday a month long special event with prizes/costumes and TOS goodies ?
    Ofc we will have to see how this pans out and ties the TOS series into 2410. But as the game is set in 2410 as a expansion and adding a new faction, it would really have made more sense to add one of the other Alpha/Beta Quadrant powers such as Tholians/Cardassians/Breen.

None of which have anything to do with The Original Series, which is what is celebrating it's 50th year.

Having said that, Gecko did say in his latest interview that the AoY Expansion is only a part of what They have planned for the rest of this year.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »

None of which have anything to do with The Original Series, which is what is celebrating it's 50th year.

Having said that, Gecko did say in his latest interview that the AoY Expansion is only a part of what They have planned for the rest of this year.
    B)

You lost me is the expansion nothing to do with the 50th Anniversary ? and we can expect something different ?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I hope this will be also part of the (non-)uniform set in the TOS expansion:
    thecloudmindershd1514.jpg

szim wrote: »

From what I gathered the TOS faction is going to be a Romulan style faction. Meaning there will be a TOS specific story arc set in a special sector block only accessible to TOS characters. At some point in the character progression the TOS story and our current story will converge at which point you will basically "join" the Federation faction. I assume this will happen as soon as you're allowed to leave the TOS sector block thus making Feds and TOSs battling each other in Kerrat impossible.
    Probably not each other, if they are Fed aligned, they can't fight other Feds, can they?

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016

B)

You lost me is the expansion nothing to do with the 50th Anniversary ? and we can expect something different ?

Apparently, this Expansion is only a small part of what They have planned for the 50th Anniversary this year.
    According to Gecko there is a lot more coming.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User

B)

Sorry to correct you but tholians were in the original series

NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    robeasom wrote: »

B)

Sorry to correct you but tholians were in the original series

And all Tholian ships that we've seen in game have been released as part of a Lock Box, and the Breen ships have been released as per the Winter Events, which only really leaves the Cardassians - not exactly a great deal to do with TOS or its 50th Anniversary.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    Cardassian ships have also been in lock boxes I agree Breen and Cardassian stuff should not be in this expansion as it is all about TOS. But the Organians, Trelane or even other TOS goodies I would like to see unlocked especially as these packs that are released for the expansions are never worth it.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    For the time being, there's only ever been one Cardie ship released - that might change sometime next year, but I'm not holding my breath.

About those other races, forgive me if I'm wrong but weren't they largely one-time appearances?
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Question: We know most of the playable races available in "modern" Star Trek: Online will not be available (Trill, Betazoid, Ferengi, and Fed. aligned Klingons stand out among others). Will Caitilans be available since they appear in TAS (Okay, according to Memory Alpha, they do) are a proxy for the Kzinti which appear around the same time as Agents of Yesterday?
    Post edited by awlaforge on
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    Does the expansion automatically download/ patch when the release date comes after purchase?

Do you need ARC to get/ play it?
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    Yes, it will be automatic.

According to Gecko on Priority One, no, you don't need Arc.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    awlaforge wrote: »
    Question: We know most of the playable races available in "modern" Star Trek: Online will not be available (Trill, Betazoid, Ferengi, and Fed. aligned Klingons stand out among others). Will Caitilans be available since they appear in TAS (Okay, according to Memory Alpha, they do) are a proxy for the Kzinti which appear around the same time as Agents of Yesterday?
    Hmm... Dax was said to have been active in TOS era in the Federation, so Trill might be an option. Also, Caitians were in the TOS movies too. It's Ferasans that are Kzinti standins.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Hmm... Dax was said to have been active in TOS era in the Federation, so Trill might be an option. Also, Caitians were in the TOS movies too. It's Ferasans that are Kzinti standins.

According to Jadzia, Dax had an affair with Leonard McCoy.

Even pre-Coalition Earth Starfleet and then the Coalition itself had some sort of official contact with Trill and its government (remember Travis mentioning Trillius Prime in ST:ENT?). And in the novels, Tobin Dax was doing R&D for us during the Earth-Romulan war.

It only depends on how much we are taking over from the books, which are canonically a gray zone. We did adopt the Vesta, so it's not unprecedented. :smile:

In Gods of Night, the info is dropped that Tobin was around to see the launch of the NX-02 Columbia.

TL;DR: yeah, having TOS Trill characters sounds possible to me.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Yet here we are SIX YEARS LATER and we're all still talking about it in the forums, and many of us are still playing the game.

And They are still adding to the game and refining it's systems.

I don't doubt the monthly retention is as bad as you are trying to make it out to be.
    Actually there have been comments by Cryptic (I believe Geko specifically) that suggest that there is at laest a sizeable group of long-term players. So I'll doubt even that claim.

Retention of newly gained players is always a topic for MMOs, of course. But as I understand it, STO has proven to be a bit different than other MMOs Cryptic or Perfect World has or had in regards to the player composition.
    I think the "Aside from nostalgia for Star Trek" is already the wrong start. This game is fueled primarily by it. it's like saying: "Aside from people that need to go from A to B, no one want to buy a car, thus cars are technology without a future."

One favorite topic of the forum players is of course "DOOM". This game is dying. It has been dying since it was released. But it seems to be the overly dramatic theatre death, where the dying speaks hour long monologues before he finally succumbs to death. Or maybe it's actually rather "dying" like we all are dying the moment we are conceived.

I'm not sure if Geko said it or not but Salami in a P1 podcast said that the player population numbers have been remarkably steady for several years now. He said the variance wasn't more than up or down by a couple hundred each month.

When dealing with Cryptic Studios there is only one truth.

Vote with your wallet, remember the 18%, and judge us by our track record with the KDF.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    Now just to be thoroughly clear about this, will the Eternity and Ouroboros ships be zen ships or some lottery/promo/keep-losing-and-losing-and-losing gambling ships? There is a reason I didn't get the Krenim ships
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    kyrrok wrote: »
    Now just to be thoroughly clear about this, will the Eternity and Ouroboros ships be zen ships or some lottery/promo/keep-losing-and-losing-and-losing gambling ships? There is a reason I didn't get the Krenim ships

If the Ouroboros and Eternal were gambling/lottery ships, they would've been announced right along with the contents of the next lock box. :smile: Instead, they were listed as parts of the Temporal Special Agent pack (~ mega bundle [think Delta Pack]), which you can grab for $$.

So yeah I believe they are zen ships alright. :smile:
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    I'm assuming the ships in the ops packs are the ships we'll get anyway in the Expansion since these versions are specifically Temporal Daedalus class or what have you and just like with the Romulans there'll only really be one to choose from when you rank up.
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »

According to Jadzia, Dax had an affair with Leonard McCoy.

Even pre-Coalition Earth Starfleet and then the Coalition itself had some sort of official contact with Trill and its government (remember Travis mentioning Trillius Prime in ST:ENT?). And in the novels, Tobin Dax was doing R&D for us during the Earth-Romulan war.

It only depends on how much we are taking over from the books, which are canonically a gray zone. We did adopt the Vesta, so it's not unprecedented. :smile:

In Gods of Night, the info is dropped that Tobin was around to see the launch of the NX-02 Columbia.

TL;DR: yeah, having TOS Trill characters sounds possible to me.

I hadn't even seen most of that so that makes playable Trill a possibility...
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    I'm assuming the ships in the ops packs are the ships we'll get anyway in the Expansion since these versions are specifically Temporal Daedalus class or what have you and just like with the Romulans there'll only really be one to choose from when you rank up.

We won't "get them anyway" (we'll have to buy them) because there will be alternate "freebie" ships as we level. There's a pic of the Pioneer (a nice looking little ship, imho) on the current info page, hinting at more being available to keep is era-appropriate while we play through the Episode arc. Whether or not we can make say level 50 via AoY's direct Episode arc, if there is side content (maybe Exploration, this being a time frame where we didn't actually know what was out there yet :wink:) or the potential for additional content (say via Foundry authors, who might now have the opportunity to tell their stories in a new context), there is a good chance at it happening; we're already going to have a few TOS captains flying Risian Luxury Cruisers and the like when they hit level 40...

Speculation tagged with
    ...unless claiming those ships requires choosing a faction, and TOS characters have the option of being posted with the KDF for their temporal operations in the "present" rather than defaulting as TOSFeds. The mechanics haven't been clarified as of yet, since we're still getting background/promotional blogs. In either case, though, my presumed tie-in for the TOS/Temporal characters into the existing storyline is pretty simple:

You've served <insert timecop agency here> well within you own era, Captain, and I'd like to offer you an expanded role in our operations (it's not really optional because you can't leave the TOS missions and play the main storyline without accepting). There is a specific chain of events in the 2400's that we would like you to address, one that is both critical to the eventual Galactic Union and vulnerable due to the complexities of the timestream at that point. The Na'Kuhl are taking advantage of this by infiltrating an era already plagued by subterfuge and misdirection; a steady hand is needed to ensure that specific events (*cough* the main storyline *cough*) occur. You will be laying the groundwork for peace, but it will be paved with conflict.

Now if there is a choice, something like:

I have two positions available, one within Starfleet and one within the Klingon Defense Force. Neither group will be what you are familiar with.

The Federation will have already been infiltrated by Undine, though even this is at the behest of other forces pulling the strings, and enters into an unprecedented series of conflicts. Battling Klingons may be something you are familiar with, but this Klingon War ultimately revolves around the Klingon pursuit of Undine Infiltrators; they are the least of the dangers you will face, since their conflict is not truly with the Federation. The cybernetic Borg, mighty Dominion, militaristic Breen, intractable Voth, shape-shifting Undine... the Federation will be actively engaging with all of these and more over an extremely short period of time. These repeated conflicts are the crucible that prepares the Federation to survive the later Iconian War and it will lay the goundwork for the Alliance. The danger here is not merely one of conflict, but rather losing the very spirit of the Federation amongst all the bloodshed. Taking this posting means guiding the Federation though dark times, while helping bring its ideals into the Alliance and the galaxy as a whole.

The Klingon Empire will have also been infiltrated by the Undine, but the Empire is aware of it and has been actively hunting them... both within and without. Your role in this conflict would be as a Federation expat aware of this and serving with the KDF in order to help root them out. Your loyalty will be questioned, and you will need to show your strength in combat, but at that time the Klingon Empire was more multifaceted than the Federation had become. They field ships from several ally and vassal species, their most noteworthy Ambassador is a Gorn names S'taass, and service in the KDF is open to any Warrior that is willing to serve the Empire; in many ways the introduction of more diverse elements into the Klingon Empire will set the stage for their eventual membership in the Alliance, and still later the Galactic Union. You will need to engage Starfleet officers, but that is a necessary step towards cleaning House internally and defending against an opportunistic Fek'Ihri attack. You will then direct the Empire's strength against greater foes, helping cement the KDF role as fierce defenders rather than allowing them to become conquerors. Taking this posting means guiding the Klingon Empire to an honorable victory over the Undine, while adding their strength to the Alliance and the galaxy as a whole.

Or something... mostly it would depend on when in the Episodes they decide to tie TOS characters into the story and whether we have any choice of where we do so. A post with the Romulan Republic would also be neat, but I just don't see that happening since Roms themselves are an ally faction.
    to save space.
    Post edited by breadandcircuses on
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​