test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday Announcement

Comments

• Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    I'm curious about if the game itself will feel different than "normal" STO. I belive i have read that Pistols will be stronger compared to other factions weapons. (Maybe to make it feel more like Old Star Trek?)
    That made me think, that other things maybe also have a different tone.
    For example ships might have less weapon slots but ship weapons have more FP overall. (To make it feel like early level game play, which is way better imo)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    so if it's not growing, it's dying.
    stable population =/= dying
    Pretty much. The PC game is profitable enough to finance the creation of console ports. There's no way the devs are simply going to abandon that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I think the Constitution class should be promoted to T2, considering the Daedalus class, being as it is the older ship design, should be a T1 ship.
  • Options
    doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    'make something new out of the old' was never progress.
    Qapla'
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    So are the Temporal packs for sale, and their contents usable now? Or do I need to wait for the launch of AoY?
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    I think the Constitution class should be promoted to T2, considering the Daedalus class, being as it is the older ship design, should be a T1 ship.

Assuming this hasn't been said before and I missed it then it's about time someone did. The Daedalus is older than the Connie and the ship class is notorious for being bad news for their crews. It's a TOS ship that has a redshirt for a hull.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    highlord83 wrote: »
    So are the Temporal packs for sale, and their contents usable now? Or do I need to wait for the launch of AoY?

You wait for the launch. :smile:
    bjornfried wrote: »
    Will those temporal agent ships come to the zenstore, after you started the new expansion?
    Or do we need to waste loads of real money for them? over 100€ is a bit to much for a virtual shipset.

This pack is just like the mega packs that came before it (Legacy of Romulus and Delta Rising Ops. Pack): Ton of ships and costumes bundled into the same package, with some exclusive "goodies" added (the titles and upgrades for example).

The mega pack will be available in the zen store, even for F2P players to grab, (though raising the zen for it is a... "bit of a project") as well as the individual ships and costumes.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    Yet here we are SIX YEARS LATER and we're all still talking about it in the forums, and many of us are still playing the game.

And They are still adding to the game and refining it's systems.

I don't doubt the monthly retention is as bad as you are trying to make it out to be.
    Actually there have been comments by Cryptic (I believe Geko specifically) that suggest that there is at laest a sizeable group of long-term players. So I'll doubt even that claim.

Retention of newly gained players is always a topic for MMOs, of course. But as I understand it, STO has proven to be a bit different than other MMOs Cryptic or Perfect World has or had in regards to the player composition.
    I think the "Aside from nostalgia for Star Trek" is already the wrong start. This game is fueled primarily by it. it's like saying: "Aside from people that need to go from A to B, no one want to buy a car, thus cars are technology without a future."

One favorite topic of the forum players is of course "DOOM". This game is dying. It has been dying since it was released. But it seems to be the overly dramatic theatre death, where the dying speaks hour long monologues before he finally succumbs to death. Or maybe it's actually rather "dying" like we all are dying the moment we are conceived.

I'm not sure if Geko said it or not but Salami in a P1 podcast said that the player population numbers have been remarkably steady for several years now. He said the variance wasn't more than up or down by a couple hundred each month.

When dealing with Cryptic Studios there is only one truth.

Vote with your wallet, remember the 18%, and judge us by our track record with the KDF.

I play all factions, and I'm not interested in some witch hunt BS. I'll take Salami's word for it thanks.

LOL and yes this is why they are still in business :)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I wonder... would it be 18% if you removed the people who don't actually play as Microbra... er, Klingons? When I visit Qo'nos I see Romulans, Orions and Gorn everywhere.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I wonder... would it be 18% if you removed the people who don't actually play as Microbra... er, Klingons? When I visit Qo'nos I see Romulans, Orions and Gorn everywhere.

And that's just the NPC's!

Seriously, way too many Gorn and Orions walking around on the Klingon homeworld to be a proportional representation of the population.

But that's way off topic for AoY. Never once do the TOS crew set foot on a Klingon world on film until the post-TOS Undiscovered Country movie.

The devs are quite reasonable not wanting to create three new factions for TOS era content in a single expansion. I totally get why KDF and Rom players are upset even if I think it's an overreaction, but I can't argue with Cryptic's logic on that score.

And what self-respecting Klingon would voluntarily undergo augmentation treatment to lose his ridges and look more human anyway? Because that's what a Klingon temporal agent would have to do to go back and enter the KDF in the TOS era. Orion and Gorn weren't part of the Empire back then, either, let alone Nausicaan and Lethean species that were introduced much, much later.

You could easily send a Romulan back to the RSE, but then how fair would that be?

They'd be missing the point, anyway. AoY appears to be revisiting a lot of TOS content, two episodes announced so far, and there simply isn't enough of it for anyone but Starfleet.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    They'd be missing the point, anyway. AoY appears to be revisiting a lot of TOS content, two episodes announced so far, and there simply isn't enough of it for anyone but Starfleet.

Four now, actually :smile:

Taurean Affair
    Shadow of Cestus
    Return to Babel
    Painful Omens
    Post edited by kelettes on
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Agents of Yesterday is ruined by film grain. How do we turn it off? I never had film grain when watching ToS and the gain ruins the looks and hurts my eyes.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I think it looks good and adds to the vintage flavor and submersion of being in the TOS world.

Having that said it would make sense for the film grain to go away after the 23rd century episodes and when you go foward to "present day" STO it will go to normal.
  • Options
    nbs2vipernbs2viper Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    OK.. I've been looking at this Timeline issue for TOS.... I did read that the new story arch takes place 3 years after the 5 year mission? If this Is correct. then the Image of the new missions is incorrect... TMP takes place 3 years after the 5 year mission. which means the uniforms and the tech of Starfleet would be more like the Conni refit and Miranda style ships. am I wrong?
    Show me how?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Agents of Yesterday is ruined by film grain. How do we turn it off? I never had film grain when watching ToS and the gain ruins the looks and hurts my eyes.

Never watched TOS before digital HD TV did you? It always had film grain, frankly looks funny without it.
    It was also low resolution with poor special sfx but I don't see them making the game an authentic resolution or lowering the quality of special sfx.

I did watch it a long time ago long time ago and don’t remember grain like that. It doesn’t look authentic to me, all it does is make the game look much worse and was that bad is stop me playing. Film gain is a bad thing everyone in the TV industry did what they could to avoid. Film gain is a flaw in the transmissions caused by interference. Why waste time simulating that? At least make it a tick box.

Why do you think we had digital remaster versions and HD version on blue ray and DVD? Plus re runs on TV don’t have grain. They all removed grain as it’s a flaw that ruins the picture. Not something to put in a game.

Depth of Field was very poorly used as well. A shuttle right in front of you in eye focus shouldn’t be blurred.

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited May 2016
    Weather it add "authenticity" or not Film Grain, like depth of field, is fairly well despised by many players for various reasons. Me, I don't like the headaches they give me or the reduction in quality. I'm playin a video game ffs on a powerful gfx card with a HD monitor, and all that jazz if i want film grain I'll go to the movies.

This needs to be made optional
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User

Never watched TOS before digital HD TV did you? It always had film grain, frankly looks funny without it.

I watched TOS when it first aired on a B&W CRT TV with an analog signal coming from an antenna in the attic. There was no film grain. Any appearance of grain was a factor of resolution, signal, related artifacts, and the occasional bit of dust on the film.

The film grain in AoY looks artificial and is way overdone, imho. Frankly I think it looks silly (I don't know what a new player would think). There's far more subtle ways to give something a retro look... colour saturation, tonality, range, the way things are animated...

• Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    I'm a huge fan of TOS and its giving me a huge buzz testing it on Tribble, can't wait for release. Well done Devs. :wink:
  • Options
    andromeda981andromeda981 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    My inner TOS nerd is far too excited. I've been splurging all over Tribble the last few days. Even in it's current state, I am in love with AOY.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I wish they would just already release the Temporal pack ship stats already.
    They can't reasonably expect people to buy it with the back label missing not knowing what they're paying for.
  • Options

It was also low resolution with poor special sfx but I don't see them making the game an authentic resolution or lowering the quality of special sfx.

I did watch it a long time ago long time ago and don’t remember grain like that. It doesn’t look authentic to me, all it does is make the game look much worse and was that bad is stop me playing. Film gain is a bad thing everyone in the TV industry did what they could to avoid. Film gain is a flaw in the transmissions caused by interference. Why waste time simulating that? At least make it a tick box.

Why do you think we had digital remaster versions and HD version on blue ray and DVD? Plus re runs on TV don’t have grain. They all removed grain as it’s a flaw that ruins the picture. Not something to put in a game.

Depth of Field was very poorly used as well. A shuttle right in front of you in eye focus shouldn’t be blurred.

First time I ever saw The Tholian Web was on a black and white tv, not that there wasn't color by that time of course, we just only had the B&W at that time (shortly after a serial arsonist had burned down our home). Point being of course that a lot about how the episodes looked didn't just depend on the show itself but also on the equipment used to view it. But even the VHS collection my parents bought in the 80s had the "grain" look. I'm so used to seeing it, not only from TOS but also from all the old shows I still watch on occasion, My Three Sons, Patty Duke, I Love Lucy (Lucille Ball, the mother of Trek, RIP), Threes Company, Laverne & Shirley, Alice, Honeymooners, Dobie Gillis, Gilligan's Island, etc, that any shows from that era, to me, look strange without it.
    Have you been on tribble and seen what the grain looks like? It’s nothing like the old TV shows.

Anyway the average gamer TOS fan wouldn’t have seen it when it was originally out. They would have seen a higher definition rerun without grain or much less grain like myself. So when we see the grain in Agents of Yesterday it only looks like something is wrong.

Why ruin Agents of Yesterday with grain which is something only the minority of gamers would have experienced? Going by the average age of STO gamers I would bet the majority didn’t watch TOS with grain when it first came out. A lot of TOS fans today grow up with reruns, HD remasters and Netflix style streams.

Agents of Yesterday should be more like Star Trek Original Remastered not Star Trek Original. Reruns of Star Trek Original don't add in grain as grain is bad, very bad. At the minimum it should be a switch box. Personally I think by default it should be off. Agents of Yesterday should be trying to attract as many people as it can. Not put people off with silly effects that hurt our eyers and make the game look worse.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    On a personal note, I like the grain. For me it helped 'set the scene'. Though I normally dislike grain in video games so I can understand why some people would not like it and as such I think it may be worth adding an option for people to turn it off. ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Oh god I thought I was going insane. So there is a film grain effect. I spent 15 minutes fiddling with my graphics settings wondering what was wrong.

I second the motion for a check box to turn it off. It's fine for people who like it but I found it hard to look at it. I get the "authenticity" idea, I think it's really cool they did it, I just want the choice to make it go away. I'm 100% cool with it being on by default.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    I don't remember film grain. I remember this look when watching an out of town station with a less than sharp signal. I also remember watching TOS in the 1970s on cable, and it didn't look that bad.

The first thing I did after getting on tribble was looking for a way to up the resolution. I was very disappointed. Please make the fuzzy picture go away. I want my TOS from cable, and not a distant station.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009