Install Arc
Options

One of the COOLEST ship designs Cryptic ever made...wasted =(

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    As I have said before:

Slap a third nacelle on the Excelsior modeled on the Galaxy X to further distinguish it from the Connie. It's still a fine design.

Call it a Light Dreadnought.

Emphasize saucer sep and make it like the little cousin of the G-X that is cannon friendly.

Pilot specialization, too!

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Are you suggesting your idea of a 3-nacelled Excelsior would have the Excalibur as a skin? If not...wrong thread?

Er. No typo'd.

3 nacelled Excalibur (which defuses some of the Connie comparisons) as a mini-Galaxy-X with pilot specialization and ability to saucer separate, which further visually separates it from the Connie (the Connie supposedly could separate but we never saw it and this makes it all around more like a mini-Galaxy-X).

Ah, I see. That's definitely an interesting idea. That said, a 3 nacelled ship is not what I'm asking for. I wouldn't mind it being an option though. If they made 2 separate versions, like with the Gal and Gal-x, that would also allow them to make twice the money.

Might not work, the 3 nacelle idea predates the Gal-X, there was an old Tech Manual, might have been the original tabletop ST RPG, that had illustrations of various starship classes including tugs and liners etc. One was listed as the dreadnought class, 3 nacelle Constitution essentially in the illustration. This was also utilized in the Trek novel Dreadnought!, which may have the most obvious Mary Sue character in the history of Trek novels (Lt. Piper, she "almost" beats the KM, without cheating), yet it is still a decent read IMO.

Yeah, I remember seeing a lot of those ships in my Starfleet Command modding days.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    That was the Federation class, technically the page from the Franz Joseph manual was seen on a readout of the Academy training bridge during TWOK. So not sure on the canon/license status.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,075 Community Moderator
    hravik wrote: »
    That was the Federation class, technically the page from the Franz Joseph manual was seen on a readout of the Academy training bridge during TWOK. So not sure on the canon/license status.

Same can be said of the Saladin class, a single nacelle starship. Some images can be seen on the monitors of the Enterprise.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User

Man you young Trek whipper-snappers...

For almost TEN years the Franz Joseph Trek Manual was THE ONLY thing we had to go by and was ALWAYS considered part of Official Trek canon... (even more so after The Motion Picture)

At least until Roddenberry got annoyed he couldn't get any of the residuals from it and then decided that anything before TNG was no longer part of HIS canon.

I have three 1st Editions of that book (one well worn and two tucked away) and it will always hold a special place in my Trek memories growing up.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    as far as a T5-T5U-T6 connie? no just no

If this was a game based on TOS or the TMP era then yes but this is set farther in the trek timeline, the connie would be obscolete , sadly enough the connies by curent trek time would be a garbage scow, yes scottyi said it but its true now.

You are confused. This thread is *not* asking for a T5/6 connie. As far as the Excalibur goes, it is a modern ship in STO's time period.

Nah im just saying it before someone else does about a T6 connie

As far as the excalibur it is a shrunken sov, not a big deal tbh if anything i agree the avenger IS the T5U connie everyones been clamoring for, they just did it by basing it on the size of the connie and nothing more.

Anyways i still would like to see a miranda reboot with the cryptic touch , i think it would be an awesome ship and could even be a totally unique design.
  • Options

If this was a game based on TOS or the TMP era then yes but this is set farther in the trek timeline, the connie would be obscolete , sadly enough the connies by curent trek time would be a garbage scow, yes scottyi said it but its true now.

You are confused. This thread is *not* asking for a T5/6 connie. As far as the Excalibur goes, it is a modern ship in STO's time period.

As far as the excalibur it is a shrunken sov, not a big deal tbh if anything i agree the avenger IS the T5U connie everyones been clamoring for, they just did it by basing it on the size of the connie and nothing more.

Anyways i still would like to see a miranda reboot with the cryptic touch , i think it would be an awesome ship and could even be a totally unique design.
    Yer late to the party... several folks have tried that tack already.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options

I would actually like to see an end game version of the Shi'kar. I always thought that was the STO "modern" version of the Miranda. But who knows what Cryptic's excuse for that would be.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,075 Community Moderator
    I think the Shi'kar was a modern take on the design. IMO the nacelles would have looked better if they were like the Excalibur's.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    I would actually like to see an end game version of the Shi'kar. I always thought that was the STO "modern" version of the Miranda. But who knows what Cryptic's excuse for that would be.

I'd like to see a Miranda layout of an Excalibur, or a full sized Sovereign. Been asking about that for years. We already have the Connie/Miranda, Excelsior/Centaur, Galaxy/Nebula. Time for something new in that configuration.
  • Options
    I'd like to see a Miranda layout of an Excalibur, or a full sized Sovereign. Been asking about that for years. We already have the Connie/Miranda, Excelsior/Centaur, Galaxy/Nebula. Time for something new in that configuration.

I think the soft canon/offically accepted version of that is the Luna. While not quite like the Nebula, it does kinda fill that void.
  • Options
    Speaking of the Miranda, I was playing around with the Akira and there is something *remotely* Miranda like with the right combo of parts...

sPuqLtb.jpg

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Oh yea... I forgot about the Akira...
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »

For almost TEN years the Franz Joseph Trek Manual was THE ONLY thing we had to go by and was ALWAYS considered part of Official Trek canon... (even more so after The Motion Picture)

At least until Roddenberry got annoyed he couldn't get any of the residuals from it and then decided that anything before TNG was no longer part of HIS canon.

I have three 1st Editions of that book (one well worn and two tucked away) and it will always hold a special place in my Trek memories growing up.
    B)

I was aware of that. I've also heard the story that it wasn't actually Roddenberry that de-canonized it, but someone that worked for him.

Either way, it was seen on screen in a monitor (TWOK), and even one of the ships that was listed (USS Entente) was mentioned on screen (TMP). And it comes from a book that was and was not canon, and might still be, depending on who you believe. So...who knows?
  • Options
    What kind of name is Entente for a ship anyways? Is there a town or person it is named after or something?
  • Options
    They also mention the Scout ship Hermes in TMP, which is listed in the FJ Manual as well.
    B)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    What kind of name is Entente for a ship anyways? Is there a town or person it is named after or something?

Possibly this.
  • Options
    Huh... never knew of that...
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    I'll add the ship in my sig pic to the list of 'wasted' designs. It's not even an option for players atm at any tier.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »

The Federation Class vessels were named after political entities and treaty organizations.

Some examples: U.S.S. Trusteeship, U.S.S. Consortium, U.S.S. Alliance, etc.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    Just because something appeared in an episode or movie doesn't mean CBS or Cryptic have rights to it.

For example: The Millennium Falcon, The Rock's likeness, the song "Beautiful Dreamer".
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Y nt put the exeter / exclabier skin on the avanger then? The avanger parts are simular to that of them.
  • Options

LOL, no. It had already been said in this thread long before.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Given all the hoops and red tape that the Vesta took, I don't expect to see the Merian class.
  • Options
    Yea... she also kinda blew up the simulator too I think. Drove the techs nuts.

Also, look for a copy of BATTLESTATIONS! as it is a sequel with Piper. Also the fact it was done from Piper's POV was a nice change of pace.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I am a little confused by the argument that nothing that too closely resembles the constitution class should be used for higher tier ships.

Almost all federation ships are based upon the primary and secondary hull features of the constitution class from TOS - the galaxy, sovereign, Ambassador, Excelsior, Intrepid, (the list could go on for a long time) are all variants of that very unique design - in fact I have only ever seen one federation ship that did not follow that design, which was the Defiant class.

To me it seems strange indeed to suggest that there should never be another advanced class of ship that resembles the constitution class, given that most federation starships are based upon its design philosophy.

I could understand it if Rodenbury had decided in TNG to go in a completely different direction in regards to federation starship design, but it it clear that he did not - the Enterprise C was simply a bigger and slightly different version of the Constitution class.

I am in complete agreement that there should not be a T6 connie - but to say there should never be a similar looking ship flys directly in the face of federation starship design.

• Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Maybe thats the way to go. A new ship. Connie inspired. Wasent there 1 in the dtne contest?
  • Options
    kylethetruekylethetrue Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    Speaking of the Miranda, I was playing around with the Akira and there is something *remotely* Miranda like with the right combo of parts...

sPuqLtb.jpg

Ah, not bad.
    "Thou shalt respect the weak and shalt constitute thyself defender of them."
    -3rd Commmandment of Chivalry
    FAWhard_zpsssqnai1l.jpg
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    daveyny wrote: »

B)

I was aware of that. I've also heard the story that it wasn't actually Roddenberry that de-canonized it, but someone that worked for him.

Either way, it was seen on screen in a monitor (TWOK), and even one of the ships that was listed (USS Entente) was mentioned on screen (TMP). And it comes from a book that was and was not canon, and might still be, depending on who you believe. So...who knows?

It was Roddenberry and his Lincoln Enterprises that were cut out of the royalties due to Paramount holding onto licensing and so Mr It's Not Canon made an appearance. Roddenberry's alter ego. Mr Its Not Canon has said that TAS, Any Movie after The Motion Picture, DS9, and the Third Season of TOS were at one time not canon. It's because he didn't have a hand in making them. The TOS Tech Manual's author was highly regarded by the Trek Production Staff at the time (for the movies) and so many elements from the Manual were placed into the movies as nods such as the Federation-class, Hermes/Saladin, the Ptolemy, Refit-Enterprise's hallway and sickbay designs, and other little things.

I agree that the Excalibur should have been more up front, since it was STO's Model Starship on its early advertisements except for the NX-91001 aka the Noble with a roll bar.
This discussion has been closed.