test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

One of the COOLEST ship designs Cryptic ever made...wasted =(

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
IMO, the Excalibur class is one of the coolest ship designs Cryptic has made to date:

smNs64F.jpg

So cool, in fact, that they made it the most prominent ship on the game's box art:

51Xy%2BrmotkL._AC_UL320_SR230,320_.jpg

Unfortunately, this awesome ship design has essentially been wasted, because:

1) CBS told Cryptic they cannot make and end game Constitution class ship(for reasons unknown), and

2) Cryptic decided to make the Excalibur class a variant of the Constitution class in game, meaning they share costume parts.

The first point is completely out of Cryptic's control, as they have to do what CBS says. However, regardless of the CBS decision about the actual constitution class itself, I say it is time to stop wasting the awesome Excalibur design on a low level ship.

Long story short:

1) Make a T6 Excalibur.

2) Lock out the Constitution parts to remain obedient to CBS.

3) Make money.

All of that said, *if* CBS also told Cryptic they cannot make an end game Excalibur, so be it. I'm completely willing to accept that. However,

No dev as EVER told us CBS said they cannot make an end game Excalibur
All of the dev comments to date about the CBS 'ruling' have ONLY mentioned the *actual* Constitution class itself, not any variants

So if Cryptic wants to confirm CBS actually said they cannot make an end game Excalibur, then that will be the end of that. But until we know that, this request stands.

Finally, here is a little FAQ on this topic:

Q1) Why did CBS say they couldn't make an end game connie?

A) We have never been given an official explanation. Some people speculate it is about the game's time period or about Paramount's new Trek movies using the connie, but the fact is we have no official explanation.

Q2) If CBS did *not* tell Cryptic they cannot make an end game Excalibur, why hasn't it happened already?

A) Even if Cryptic is allowed to make a ship, that does not necessarily mean they want to do so. We do know some development decisions are made based on the personal preferences of the devs, so it is possible someone simply may not want to do this(which is certainly their 'prerogative'). But without their comment, we simply don't know.

Q3) If CBS *did* tell Cryptic they cannot make an end game Excalibur, why haven't they just told us that? Also 'why haven't they replied to this thread yet'?

A) The devs are not required to answer our questions or reply to this thread. They answer the questions they choose to answer, but are not forced to do so. However, if someone at Cryptic simply doesn't want to do this, they may not want to tell us that.

Q4) Doesn't the FCT thread stickied on the general discussion board say they can't make an end game Excalibur?

A) No. There are 2 quotes regarding the 'end game connie' issue in the FCT thread. The first is from an actual DEV and only addresses the actual connie itself. It makes no mention of the Excalibur or any variants. The second quote it is from a former community manager, not a dev. Also, he was asked about his own personal opinion, and he said he did not personally think it was going to happen. But while giving his personal opinion, he did *not* say that Cryptic was not *allowed* to make an end game Excalibur.

Q5) Maybe they are 'restricted' from telling us that CBS won't allow them to make an end game Excalibur?

A) Possibly, but if that were actually the case, then they wouldn't have even told us CBS will not allow them to make an end game connie. The fact that they told us that suggests there is not a restriction on them being able to tell us what CBS will not allow.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Careful, some might accuse you of wanting a T5/6 Connie.
    Not that anybody really wants that...

:* <walks away whistling>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    No... no no no no no. Not another one of these threads.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    daveyny wrote: »

Only if they are illiterate.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    samt1996 wrote: »
    No... no no no no no. Not another one of these threads.

If by "these threads" you mean a thread asking for a T5/6 connie, then no, this isn't one of those threads.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    daveyny wrote: »
    Not that anybody really wants that...

:* <walks away whistling>

Only if they are illiterate.
    Since when does being "literate" have anything to do with posting in a internet forum?

You and I both know full well how 'ed-ju-ma-k-ted' many folks are around here.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I support this idea. Excalibur is a wonderful looking ship. SHE IS NOT A CONIE! She is a modern 2410 cruiser of her own class. Separate her from the Conie parts and make her a T6 ship.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
    It is a nice design but it is very close to a Connie and was obviously designed as such. I doubt your idea gets made sorry.
    edited January 2016
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Humm...this could work. But could you imagine the TRIBBLE storm that would happen if they do this and they forget to lock out the connie parts?

My dream come true.
    B)
    It is a nice design but it is very close to a Connie and was obviously designed as such. I doubt your idea gets made sorry.

For the record, I doubt it too. But not for the reason you just mentioned. The Excalibur is a modern ship, according to STO's own in universe story. They released a short description of it prior to launch:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_class

The reason CBS said "no T4/5/6 connie" is because it would be silly to have a ship that old performing at end game levels. Since the Excalibur isn't old, that logic does not apply.

But again, yes, I also doubt this will actually happen. But no, your reason is not why. The real why is probably because someone influential simply doesn't want it to happen and has been blocking it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    IMO, the Excalibur class is one of the coolest ship designs Cryptic has made to date:

smNs64F.jpg

So cool, in fact, that they made it the most prominent ship on the game's box art:

Unfortunately, it is also one of the most useless ships in the game. Why? Because they decided to tie it to the Constitution class, and CBS said there can be no end game level constitution class ship. Well, regardless of how you feel about the CBS decision, I say it is time to stop wasting this awesome ship design on a low level ship.

Long story short:

Make a T6 Excalibur.

Lock out the Constitution parts to remain obedient to CBS.

Make money.

splitting that hair mighty thinly, huh? Are you assuming that no one in CBS has contacted cryptic about the design when it was first pitched and do not know by the obvious shape that it isnt a connie inspired design?

i would suspect cbs has tied cryptics hands to a weight on this connie issue as if it were anywhere else this design would be considered a rip off of the connie.

@jodarkrider, is this thread legitimate or another one of those connie threads?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited January 2016

For the record, I doubt it too. But not for the reason you just mentioned. The Excalibur is a modern ship, according to STO's own in universe story. They released a short description of it prior to launch:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_class

The reason CBS said "no T4/5/6 connie" is because it would be silly to have a ship that old performing at end game levels. Since the Excalibur isn't old, that logic does not apply.

But again, yes, I also doubt this will actually happen. But no, your reason is not why. The real why is probably because someone influential simply doesn't want it to happen and has been blocking it.

I heard tell it was some CBS/Paramount executive lawyer dude who had no real love for Trek, but was in charge of licensing back in 2007-08.

But that might be a wives-tale.
    B)

smNs64F.jpg

Unfortunately, it is also one of the most useless ships in the game. Why? Because they decided to tie it to the Constitution class, and CBS said there can be no end game level constitution class ship. Well, regardless of how you feel about the CBS decision, I say it is time to stop wasting this awesome ship design on a low level ship.

Long story short:

Make a T6 Excalibur.

Make money.

splitting that hair mighty thinly, huh?

Nope, not at all. They are clearly differently ships, and the Excalibur is a modern ship. But if someone official wants to confirm that CBS said they can never make a end game ship that even *resembles* the connie, that will settle that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

I am *explicitly* saying I don't want an end game connie. In the OP, I *explicitly* said to lock out the connie parts. So while mods can obviously do what they want, if anyone claims this thread is about asking for an end game connie that will be an actual lie.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

I am *explicitly* saying I don't want an end game connie. In the OP, I *explicitly* said to lock out the connie parts. So while mods can obviously do what they want, if anyone claims this thread is about asking for an end game connie that will be an actual lie.

Heh...
    Thar she blow's !!!!
    B)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

smNs64F.jpg

Long story short:

Make a T6 Excalibur.

Make money.

Nope, not at all. They are clearly differently ships, and the Excalibur is a modern ship. But if someone official wants to confirm that CBS said they can never make a end game ship that even *resembles* the connie, that will settle that.

a red apple and a green apple, both grown from seeds from the same plant family. you are aguing that this red apple is different from this green apple because it isnt in this family, when really it is. yeah, good luck with that. because that arguement fits this one.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.

smNs64F.jpg

Long story short:

Make a T6 Excalibur.

Make money.

a red apple and a green apple, both grown from seeds from the same plant family. you are aguing that this red apple is different from this green apple because it isnt in this family, when really it is. yeah, good luck with that. because that arguement fits this one.

I'm about to destroy you argument. Ready? Wait for it...wait for it...

Ambassador.

The Ambassador is also visually similar to the connie. And yet, we have an end game version of the Ambassador. Why? Because they are *different* ships. The Ambassador is not the connie, so the "connie rule" does not apply to it. The Excalibur is also not the connie.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    doodle__not_this_TRIBBLE_again_by_prdarkfox-d8ypxo6.png

Spin it all you want OP, but I hate to break it to you that this is a T6 Connie thread. Locking out the Connie Parts has been suggested in the past, and shot down.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Spin it all you want OP, but I hate to break it to you that this is a T6 Connie thread. Locking out the Connie Parts has been suggested in the past, and shot down.

I'm not spinning anything. You may not like my idea, and that is fine. But suggesting that I am asking for a T6 connie when I am not is simply a lie. And if you have to lie to make your argument, your argument is invalid in the first place.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited January 2016

I'm not spinning anything. You may not like my idea, and that is fine. But suggesting that I am asking for a T6 connie when I am not is simply a lie. And if you have to lie to make your argument, your argument is invalid in the first place.

I'm not lying. I've been around a few years, and I've seen quite a few arguments for getting an Endgame Connie, even suggesting locking out the Connie Parts to circumvent the fact CBS said no to an Endgame Connie.

The fact remains, this has been suggested. Its been shot down.

Connie parts or no Connie parts, this is a T6 Connie thread. Excalibur, Vesper, and Exeter are Connie variants. You can change the body all you want, give it a nice shiny new coat of paint, but deep down... its a Connie. That's just how it is.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Excalibur, Vesper, and Exeter are Connie variants.

The Excal is only a connie variant because Cryptic plugged it in that spot. There is no canon saying the Excal is a connie variant. Therefore there is no canon saying the Excal has to remain plugged into that spot. Unless CBS says otherwise(and if they do, I'm completely willing to accept it), Cryptic could remove the Excal as being a connie variant and remake it into a T6 ship by itself.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    The Excalibur is also a non canon design, so canon argument goes out the window. She's still a Connie variant, and therefor a Connie in terms of the game.

I happen to like the Excalibur design as well. The Vesper on the other hand is ugly as hell. But the fact remains that they are tied to the Connie, and that will not change.

This is an old argument that has gone around for as long as we've had endgame content. If they were able to, Cryptic would make an endgame Connie with access to all skins in a second because they KNOW it will sell. But the people who own the rights to the Connie have said no, and have extended that line to the variants made for this game.
    It's just too close, you know CBS won't allow it.

Well this thread ended just about how I expected it too! Lol
    @rattler2 said: "But the people who own the rights to the Connie have said no, and have extended that line to the variants made for this game."

What is your source about the variants? Like I said, I'm willing to accept that if thats what CBS said. But I have never read any official comment like that. So what is your source?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    They could always give it away ... (Brain: On) ... sell it via Lobi, charity thing, event w/e ... as a Red Terran Empire ship ... lock out all the other parts that come with it and boom.

It is a cool design. It was the first ship I picked back in the old days.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Its kinda funny, the only 2 Excalibur starships I know or care about are the NCC 26517 and NCC 26517-A, one was an Ambasador class and the other was a Galaxy class. And as much as I liked the stories they were in they are 2 of the most fugly ships in Starfleet.
  • gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    I preffer a t6 exeter... more pretty
This discussion has been closed.