test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You can pick one game from before 2000 and update it.

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Wait... there's a patch for it?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    several, actually, but the one you'd want is the Beta Patch Version 1.01 Build 534, as that's the final one taldren released before they went BOOM, and as the patch doesn't play nicely with non-base games, these warnings are to be taken VERY seriously: Install ONLY this v534 patch on to SFC 3. This is a stand alone installer and does not need any other Starfleet Command III downloads. This file is to be used on a clean, unaltered, unpatched version of Starfleet Command III.
    &
    Before Installing the SFC 3 Patch 1.01 Beta 2 Build v534, make sure that you DO NOT install the separate installer items below. The items below are designed for an unpatched game streight out of box (v464) and the items below are already included in the v534 patch, which means that installing the below items before or after the v534 patch will cause the game to corrupt when you install the patch.
    A) SFC 3 DirectX 9 Fix
    B Nemisis Add-On Package
    C) Borg Mini Compaign
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    I've never had a modded version of SFC3 anyways. I've got a CD, but I have never been able to play it on my Win7 machine, yet my friend was able to play it on his mom's smoke choked POS XP machine.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    i wasn't able to play either until i grabbed the directx 9 fix, then i was...except, now i wish i'd gone straight for the patch, since they were right about the install corrupting if any of those 3 items were already installed; now i can't play the nemesis mission because it crashes when it tries to load​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    also, another game to consider for updating; battlezone and its sequel, battlezone 2; combat commander

both were hybrid RTS/T&FPS games, and honestly, there really needs to be more of those - it's too novel a concept to NOT use more often​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Eh, Maelstrom kinda had that too. The game was mainly RTS, but you could use Direct Control on heroes and any hero-carrying vehicles; that was sort of a TPS mode.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,327 Arc User
    Might as well throw in the oldies Star Trek Armada 1 & 2.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Maybe the Pirates of Orion spinoff? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    One game?

Well, my long time favorite would be TIE Fighter.

But there are so many...
    Descent would also be great.
    Crescent Hawk's Inception or Revenge. Mechwarrior 1 (the game has non-mech content, but in those days that just meant a tiny bit of text adventuring). Or Mechwarrior 3. (Had the most fun campaign I think. A single lance taking over a planet... With cool mission briefings including surveillance data and all.)
    Startrek 25th Anniversary.
    Command & Conquer (the original).
    Death Track. (Car racing with guns, missiles, driving torpedoes, lasers, ion beams, mines, caltrops.. Everything the deadly driver would want to have.)​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    elric071elric071 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I can't believe that no one has mentioned the original HalfLife. I know there is H2 and I think I remember reading some scuttlebutt about an upcoming H3 sometime in the near future... But the original? That was the first game to actually scare the TRIBBLE out of me while playing it. The first time I ran into a head crab in a dark ventilation duct and I was being attacked by something I couldn't see, I jumped about 10 feet out of my chair....lol. Great game IMO.

I would also like to put in a vote for the Command and Conquer: Generals games. Very funny ("Can I have some shoes?".. "China has been very very good to me".."I am big" LOL) and pretty decent RTS games.

Qapla'!
    Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Co-Founder of TOS Veterans and TOS Qan Mang
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    star trek: klingon academy

/thread
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Half-Life has already been remade. It's on Steam under the name "Black Mesa."
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Ooh! How about SimCopter, or a spiritual successor? Imagine piloting a helicopter around cities that you built yourself in another game, completing missions such as fighting fires, performing medevacs, and spotting criminals for the police.

Yes please. I played Sim Copter for hours, so much fun.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Actually, that reminds me, why has no one here bought up Freespace yet? I know it's only barely before 2000 and FS2 was released in 2000 but c'mon guys! Think how good that game looks just because of the Source Code Project! Imagine if it was remade with modern graphics!

Had to go through the thread to see if anyone brought this one up as well. There's a Descent: Destination Saturn remake of sorts on the way called Descent: Underground, maybe we'll see a Freespace update someday and they'll finally finish the story. Underground was initially meant to be an homage to the original Descent but Interplay contacted them regarding using the title officially.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Bethesda made a very good 'age of sail' game called Sea Dogs. Very good in that it was one of the best sailing ship combat games I've seen to this day. It had a crappy personal combat system that you had to master if you wanted to get rich.

Remake Sea Dogs as an MMO. Even Craptyc could make money on it.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    There's a game, but I can't remember the name of it... It was for the Nintendo 64; there was an out-of-control truck transporting nuclear material of some kind and you piloted giant robots, tanks, etc. to clear a path ahead of it through cities, countryside, etc... Anyone remember it?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    There's a game, but I can't remember the name of it... It was for the Nintendo 64; there was an out-of-control truck transporting nuclear material of some kind and you piloted giant robots, tanks, etc. to clear a path ahead of it through cities, countryside, etc... Anyone remember it?

YES! Blast Corps
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Yeah, that's the name of it!
    I could never really beat it - usually died when the transport hit something I missed - but it was always a good way to satisfy an appetite for destruction...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    ygrezygrez Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    -Ogre Battle 64
    -Any of the Star Wars space sims (x-wing, tie-fighter, x-wing alliance, etc...)
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    I just came up with another one: Liberation Day, by I-Magic. That was an interesting one.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    star trek starfleet academy bridge simulator
  • Options
    Never could get past one particular part of Starfleet Academy. Frickin' Miranda class and funky butterfly ships that outgun you. And then there was the stupid God entity flying a sooped up butterfly ship outside the Galactic Barrier...
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    ET the extra terrestrial

Battletoads

oregon trail

Ok i know terrible games but thats why they should be remade to make them better espeacially the first two those two so horrendously bad everyone wants to forget the existed.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    messahla wrote: »
    ET the extra terrestrial

Battletoads

oregon trail

Ok i know terrible games but thats why they should be remade to make them better espeacially the first two those two so horrendously bad everyone wants to forget the existed.

Battletoads, takes me back, very unforgiving difficulty spike
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Battletoads was "Nintendo hard"?
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      hey, there was nothing wrong with oregon trail; both my mother and i used to play that heavily when i was far younger...i always kept losing most of my supplies when wagons tipped over while fording rivers, which led to massive outbreaks of the game's various sicknesses which i couldn't treat effectively due to lack of medical supplies​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
      lolyou3lolyou3 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
      Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, its still a decent game to play even today; with updated graphics and controls it would be amazing.
    • Options
      captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
      Im going to cheat,, this game is from the early 2000's but I would LOVE an update/redo/sequel. Its called " The movies" Doubt many have played it but it was quite fun, and had an AWESOME online community. Basically you linked pre-made animation scenes together to form a movie. It was pretty labor intensive, but with nowadays tech it could be a GREAT game! I actually spent 6 months editing a movie... still cant believe it myself, but the finally result was pretty good for my limited patience. Anyway,, THATS the game I would like to see remade with modern tech.
      Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
      Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
      The Devils Henchman
    • Options
      ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      Im going to cheat,, this game is from the early 2000's but I would LOVE an update/redo/sequel. Its called " The movies" Doubt many have played it but it was quite fun, and had an AWESOME online community. Basically you linked pre-made animation scenes together to form a movie. It was pretty labor intensive, but with nowadays tech it could be a GREAT game! I actually spent 6 months editing a movie... still cant believe it myself, but the finally result was pretty good for my limited patience. Anyway,, THATS the game I would like to see remade with modern tech.

I used to play the Hell out of that game! I still have the disk on my shelf.
    • Options
      I just remembered another game.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Reign:_The_Future_of_War
      A lot like Command and Conquer, but in space.