test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You can pick one game from before 2000 and update it.

Comments

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Though when I hear what EA is doing with Battlefront, I fear any 'update' would consist of removing 70% of the content, replacing the remaining 30%, and just making better graphics.

Unfortunately your numbers are off. There's also the roughly 20% content that's already been developed alongside the game and sold as DLC for about 50-100$ over the following 6 months.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Tops on my list would be the "Gold Box" AD&D games. Since the collection of 9 "more or less" share the same engine (this was back before the days where they compartmentalized their games by engine & content), it shouldn't be a terribly difficult task to build one "modern" engine and port the 9 games over...

Though for my "strategies" to remain intact, it'd have to have the option of running under first edition rules, not 5th (or whatever they're up to now...)

It was "sort of done" with the ancient "Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures" construction kit - but they couldn't replicate the special cutscenes as well as the originals did...

Second up on the list is Starfleet Command I. Back of manual copyright date is 1999, so it qualifies, right? ;)

"Nice to see but not mandatories" would be the "General" series of games, especially Panzer General and Star General, the old school Warcraft games (I and II), and the Wing Commanders...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Though when I hear what EA is doing with Battlefront, I fear any 'update' would consist of removing 70% of the content, replacing the remaining 30%, and just making better graphics.

Unfortunately your numbers are off. There's also the roughly 20% content that's already been developed alongside the game and sold as DLC for about 50-100$ over the following 6 months.

Eh, if we're going to go that route, I can cite the various half-decent to excellent mods that EA is (AFAIK) explicitly preventing from being created, turning the game into 1% of its predecessor. :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    dareau wrote: »
    and the Wing Commanders...
    To be truely modern they would need a Kilrathi story mode option. which sounds like a lot of fun actually.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    For me has to be Duke Nukem 3D - not that horrible sequel that came out a few years ago. Failing that either Tie Fighter or X-Wing v's Tie Fighter.

I can still remember the DN3D cheat code I sometimes used - dncornholio, basically god mode.​​
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Heavy Gear from '95. Yeah there was HG II and DP9 is remaking it as Heavy Gear Assault ... but there was something fun and beautiful in it's simplicity of play and graphics.
  • Options
    hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    HELLO! NO Brainer, it must be Birth of the Federation! Give it a galactic civilizations 3 make over, and you got a winner in my book.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    @dareau: At least one of the Gold Box games was remade as a mod for Neverwinter Nights 2. You might dig through NWN's insanely huge modding community and see what you come up with. (Hell, there's even a fan sequel to Zork in there.)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    HELLO! NO Brainer, it must be Birth of the Federation! Give it a galactic civilizations 3 make over, and you got a winner in my book.
    I made a mod for Space Empires 5 that gives it a Star Trek theme. One major advantage SE5 has is that the possibilities for main race are limited only by the size of your hard drive. It's not coded to have only 5 main races. It can only have up to 20 in one game, chosen from whatever you have on disk.

SE5 has a pretty robust engine, but it's a TBS with no story... then again, so was BotF. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    We get a little taste of it in STO's ship tailor, but I wouldn't mind seeing what could be done with the old Star Trek "Starship Creator" games with today's technology.

Anyone else remember some of the designs we could create in that game - like the Galaxy-class with four nacelles and a notched-triangle saucer section?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    Dang it... someone already mentioned the Wing Commander games, WarCraft 1 and 2, and the X-Wing games.

Hm... how about we bring back...

Army_Men_I.jpg

Really enjoyed those games. But frankly Sarge's War was a low point IMO, and was really the end of the series I guess.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    If we're redoing Army Men, I want the Worms games added to the list, especially Worms Armageddon.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Dang it... someone already mentioned the Wing Commander games, WarCraft 1 and 2, and the X-Wing games.

Hm... how about we bring back...

Army_Men_I.jpg

Really enjoyed those games. But frankly Sarge's War was a low point IMO, and was really the end of the series I guess.
    Try Running with Rifles. Haven't played it myself, but from what I've seen it's very Army Men-esque.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    @dareau: At least one of the Gold Box games was remade as a mod for Neverwinter Nights 2. You might dig through NWN's insanely huge modding community and see what you come up with. (Hell, there's even a fan sequel to Zork in there.)

I've got the Pool of Radiance "mod" for NWN. I think Curse of the Azure Bonds was around 80% done - thing with both is that while you get to "touch base" on the various story concepts, the execution was... modified... to roll with the single player & henchman 3rd edition based system over the original "6 player party" system with first edition rules...

And that's part and parcel of it. It's less the "see the story", more the "tactical combat" that the 6 player party would encourage...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    G-Police. Or maybe Colony Wars... dang I miss Psygnosis. :'(
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    I just thought of another game. Since they already remade Ducktales...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FKEMkp277w
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Blast! Now I've got that theme song stuck in my head...
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    I'd love to see Ocarina of time and Majora's mask get a complete graphics makeover, same architecture and stuff but in HD redoing lava textures and the like with today's technology, not like the 3d versions they did that made things look horrible by comparison and dumbed down gameplay...

Failing that, FF7 although that's already in the works... Hope they don't change it overly much.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,993 Arc User
    Command and Conquer Red Alert, just keep the classic gameplay and just update the graphics.

Though I'd rather have another publisher do it instead of EA

NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,414 Arc User
      I'd like to play first person VR for titles such as "Day of the tentacle" and "Monkey Island"​​
      This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    • Options
      messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
      Defender of the Crown

Pitfall

• Options
      Pitfall? Heh.... how many weapons do you want it to have? :p
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • Options
      Oh, come on, we all know what the ultimate game to get a 'New Millenium' update is...

Pacman!
    • Options
      dig dug
    • Options
      Pong.
    • Options
      Pong.

you sir just won the thread all other entries are invalid :D
    • Options
      messahla wrote: »
      Pong.

you sir just won the thread all other entries are invalid :D

Depends on who develops it. What if... EA develops the new Pong?
    • Options
      Is Electronic Arts even doing anything besides sports games these days?
    • Options
      hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,762 Arc User
      edited October 2015