test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You can pick one game from before 2000 and update it.

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    Is Electronic Arts even doing anything besides sports games these days?

star-wars-battlefront-gamescom.jpg

Yup. They do.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,414 Arc User
    Pong.

Already developed, but they call it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(sport)​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Yeah, but that doesn't count since that's a meatspace game and not a video/computer game...

Huh... I thought EA's non-sports side had tanked back around 2011, 2012 or so...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    There was a great vehicular combat game for the Playstation called Vigilante 8.
    I would love to see that game get a full-fledged reboot.

In related news, there's an indie game on Steam called "Road Redemption", which is a fantastic spiritual successor to the old "Road Rash" series. Loads of fun, if a work still in progress.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    Huh... I thought EA's non-sports side had tanked back around 2011, 2012 or so...

Nope. Its alive and well. They just happen to release new sports games EVERY YEAR. I swear the football games are just rereleased versions of the previous year's games with a couple tweaks to rosters and stats. MAYBE they update the graphics every few years.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Nope. Its alive and well. They just happen to release new sports games EVERY YEAR. I swear the football games are just rereleased versions of the previous year's games with a couple tweaks to rosters and stats. MAYBE they update the graphics every few years.

And, let's be honest, EA need their non-sports team: how else will they continue to reliably be voted the worst corporation in America? ;)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I want Warcraft IV. And no, World of Warcraft doesn't count.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    I'd probably choose Birth of the Federation. I love strategy games, I love Star Trek, I loved BotF but it's really long in the tooth. A well made Star Trek themed grand strategy game would be great.

About the only thing I've played in recent years that's come close is Armada 3. That's more of a real time strategy 4x space strategy hybrid though. But it's missing the feel of creating a sprawling empire or federation and having diplomacy with minor races and getting them to join you or conquering them instead.
  • Options
    sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    Starflight
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    ryan218 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

And, let's be honest, EA need their non-sports team: how else will they continue to reliably be voted the worst corporation in America? ;)

...Merge with Sega?

Company that flopped on consoles, company that flops on non-sports games, they'd have synergy. Of course, we'd probably end up with "Sonic Soccer" or something in the process...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    I hear its coming but nothing definative yet. Only game I truly would stand in line for these days would be a Final Fantasy 7 remake. I still remember buying Parasite Eve just so I could get the FF7 demo that had the summon Leviathen on it. Damn that was epic back in the day.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    stofsk wrote: »
    I'd probably choose Birth of the Federation. I love strategy games, I love Star Trek, I loved BotF but it's really long in the tooth. A well made Star Trek themed grand strategy game would be great.

About the only thing I've played in recent years that's come close is Armada 3. That's more of a real time strategy 4x space strategy hybrid though. But it's missing the feel of creating a sprawling empire or federation and having diplomacy with minor races and getting them to join you or conquering them instead.
    Have you tried Space Empires 5? :D The guy who wrote it was apparently a Star trek fan and the way the ship combat works is a lot like what you see in Star Trek. It's not actually a Star Trek game but SE5 is designed to be modable and I made a Star Trek mod for it.

That being said.... I would like it if SE5 got updated. The game engine has wonderful customization options, but when you dig far enough in the code you start to run into half-finished things and odd limitations.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User

Have you tried Space Empires 5? :D The guy who wrote it was apparently a Star trek fan and the way the ship combat works is a lot like what you see in Star Trek. It's not actually a Star Trek game but SE5 is designed to be modable and I made a Star Trek mod for it.

That being said.... I would like it if SE5 got updated. The game engine has wonderful customization options, but when you dig far enough in the code you start to run into half-finished things and odd limitations.

define 'odd'​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

define 'odd'​​
    It does string searches when matching unit types rather than whole word searches. Thus if it looks for Satellite it will also match Mega-Satellite.

That and there's a glitch that causes solar system generation to fail if you try to generate planets before placing a star.

Then there's the half-coded stellar objects. The game recognizes "Comet" as a valid stellar object type, but if you try to spawn one it doesn't do anything. Then there's "Destroyed Star"s. The game will spawn a stellar object if told to spawn a destroyed star, it will even look in a special list of destroyed star pictures when spawning the object.... but the actual object it spawns is indistinguishable from a star except for the picture.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    if there's code for destroyed stars in that game's engine, it sounds like it might've originally been planned for stars to be destroyable by either triggered event (ala natural supernova) or by players (ala protomatter bomb)

if that is not possible, it really needs to be; too many space strategy games out there don't allow players to blow up stars or even planets, and that's just unacceptable​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    if there's code for destroyed stars in that game's engine, it sounds like it might've originally been planned for stars to be destroyable by either triggered event (ala natural supernova) or by players (ala protomatter bomb)

if that is not possible, it really needs to be; too many space strategy games out there don't allow players to blow up stars or even planets, and that's just unacceptable​​

Oh, trust me, star-destroying WMDs are one of my favourite pass-times in SE5. >:)

I guess it's just a glitch in the spawning system, because it does work in-game (you have to use a special device on your vessel, called a stellar fusion torpedo - I think, I forget the name exactly) as does a tectonic bomb you can use to destroy planets. No, I mean it. You can literally shatter the planet entirely.

Or you can be boring and use nuclear, plague or neutron bombs to kill off the population.
  • Options

if that is not possible, it really needs to be; too many space strategy games out there don't allow players to blow up stars or even planets, and that's just unacceptable

Oh, trust me, star-destroying WMDs are one of my favourite pass-times in SE5. >:)

I guess it's just a glitch in the spawning system, because it does work in-game (you have to use a special device on your vessel, called a stellar fusion torpedo - I think, I forget the name exactly) as does a tectonic bomb you can use to destroy planets. No, I mean it. You can literally shatter the planet entirely.

Or you can be boring and use nuclear, plague or neutron bombs to kill off the population.

...please tell me this game is available on steam or good old games; i think i just found something else to add to my birthday list​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited October 2015

if that is not possible, it really needs to be; too many space strategy games out there don't allow players to blow up stars or even planets, and that's just unacceptable

...please tell me this game is available on steam or good old games; i think i just found something else to add to my birthday list​​

It is on Steam. Oh, another thing: it lets you create Black Holes as well.

What can I say? I like the way your pupils dilate at the sight of planetary armageddon! >:)

(10 points for whoever gets that reference. :p)
  • Options
    and...are they decent-looking and functional black holes? unlike the crappy ones from star trek armada that didn't do a damn thing unless a ship lost its engines first, even if you parked a ship right next to one​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    and...are they decent-looking and functional black holes? unlike the crappy ones from star trek armada that didn't do a damn thing unless a ship lost its engines first, even if you parked a ship right next to one​​

If there's a black hole in the system (they're absolutely massive and cool-looking considering the game's graphics) your ship will be pulled one hex closer to it each turn, and if it reaches the Black Hole, it's destroyed. Makes ships with decent propulsion kinda important.
  • Options
    sounds like a turn-based version of the black hole from the final mission of fargate, though i bet i'm the only one who's even heard of that game let alone played it (and coincidentally, it was also the most realistic black hole i'd ever seen in a game)

and to bring things slightly back on topic, fargate is another game i wouldn't mind seeing upgraded with modern tech, because it was a decent game to me​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    Actually, that reminds me, why has no one here bought up Freespace yet? I know it's only barely before 2000 and FS2 was released in 2000 but c'mon guys! Think how good that game looks just because of the Source Code Project! Imagine if it was remade with modern graphics!
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    I remember SEV. Do modern computers still get really bogged down and slow in a long-running game with lots of units?
  • Options
    the source code project itself may not contain modern graphics, but it does contain the necessary code modifications to the engine to make all those fancy new technologies like normal mapping and dynamic lighting and distortion effects possible, and there is a pack of hi-res models and textures of damn near everything to go with it

believe me, i used to have an old version of those media VPs, and it looked damn awesome; i can only imagine what they'd look like now several years later​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Since the topic is remake of games published before the year 2000:

Car Wars - Steve Jackson Games

This was a board game with which I became familiar at the end of 1980 or thereabouts, and spent many an evening failing to master. As a PvP persistent world game, I could see this becoming a huge hit for whichever computer gaming house takes on the relatively simple challenge of converting the very simple rules, (it had a pamphlet for the rules booklet,) and creating a MMO.

Part race game, part tank warfare game, all glorious hijinx in a genre that came directly out of Mad Max. In this game, Autodueling becomes a sport, in which sponsors outfit cars with weapons and defenses, hires drivers, gunners, and other necessary personnel, and enters his vehicle in Arena matches against the best competition the other sponsors can finance.

Naturally, the locals soon began to create their own versions of Autoduelling vehicles, and of course, they take their sport to the highways. Police attempt to keep up by weaponizing their own patrol and interceptor vehicles, but they fail. This leaves highway traffic but one option: to arm themselves against those 'Autoduellists' who turn to predatory behavior on the roads.

Which brings us 'round full circle to these self-funded mercenaries entering Autoduel Arenas to earn prizes in the amateur contests, or to be recruited by one of the big sponsors to drive their car for the professional Autoduelist prize purses.

Characters: The game gave minimal development to the characters, instead focusing on the cars themselves. In an MMO, this might be a more important facet of the game, and there is ample room for expansion of the character to meet the needs of an MMO.

Vehicles: The ability to customize your vehicle was a primary consideration of the game. What kind of vehicle do you want to drive? What kind of defenses do you want? What kind of offensive firepower do you want? How much can you afford given your budget?

In Car Wars, vehicles were disposable. You could pay for repairs, but generally you could spend the money instead on a new car built especially for the next challenge. Your economy car with the laser turret might be a good starter, but when you are going up against limousines and delivery trucks, you might want something more substantial.

While there was a lot of game development effort put into the movement and combat system, I think the many race games and tank games out there have made that part of the game obsolete. Instead of a turn-based impulse system such as was used by FASA in Starfleet Battles, computers can handle real-time decisions and control, with appropriate responses. (Yes, rolling your car possible!)

If you are an indy producer who wants to create a Car Wars MMO, talk to Steve Jackson Games. I'm sure they would like the royalties from such a game if your production values match SJ Games'.
  • Options

...please tell me this game is available on steam or good old games; i think i just found something else to add to my birthday list
    It is on Steam. Oh, another thing: it lets you create Black Holes as well.

What can I say? I like the way your pupils dilate at the sight of planetary armageddon! >:)

(10 points for whoever gets that reference. :p)
    I had to actually program the art for Destroyed Stars. The game uses it properly, but didn't come with it. And no.... using a star destroyer does not create destroyed star objects. I think that it was a feature that was planned, but scrapped very late in production after it was mostly completed. One of the game data files makes mention of monsters and illusions.... which don't seem to exist anywhere else in the game. It seems like the developer was planning to add a lot of things that didn't make the final version of the game.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    The only pre 2000 game I can think of is Starcraft, but we have Starcraft 2.

Can I say Star Trek Aramda? It came out in Feb 2000, that's close
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    edited October 2015
    sle1989 wrote: »
    The only pre 2000 game I can think of is Starcraft, but we have Starcraft 2.

Can I say Star Trek Aramda? It came out in Feb 2000, that's close

Close enough IMO. I wanna say Starfleet Command 3, but that came out in 2002, and is unplayable on a machine running anything over DirectX 9.0c.

I JUST remembered another game I used to love. Don't know if you guys would be familiar with it though...
    Scorched Earth
  • Options
    what people don't have directx 9.0c? it's not like directx 10 or 11 overwrites it

the bigger issue with SFC3 is that anything over directx EIGHT will cause the stock game to not load, but as long as you have the latest patch, that's no longer an issue (and that patch also comes with the borg's campaign and the nemesis mini mission, so that's even more reason to make sure you grab it right after installation of the game)​​

#LegalizeAwoo