What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

under 5k dps....stay out of advanced

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Haven't parsed/been parsed in a while but i can handle tholian and borg red alerts solo.
    I'm guessing that's sufficient.

1-2k is a bit low, but i have noticed that the folks who often save a queue with their GW/TBR tend to parse a bit lower. Getting a DPS below 10k does not mean a person does not make a significant contribution.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    martinihenriemartinihenrie Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The problem is less dps than the person behind it. With advanced queues, it's more about knowing which targets to shoot at and which to ignore.

An in game dps test would be interesting for those who want to know their output without resorting to third party shtick.

Shouting at the ignorant does nobody any favours.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    e30ernest wrote: »
    I think that would kill queues further since it'll bring low DPS people together to the same queue. Unless of course you mean bringing players together so their total DPS meets the mission needs? If it's the latter then that would really be beneficial to queues.

I'm all for an in-game system to measure performance. To prevent players from talking other players down you should be able to set your stats display to private/public.
    I'm not so sure if it would help to throw high DPS and low DPS people together.
    I'd rather like to see a mechanic that prevents people with low DPS from entering a Elite or even advanced Queue. Rewards should be adapted of course, so even low DPS players can get their hands on high quality stuff if they work long enough for it.
    The problem i see is, if you throw high and low DPS people together someone is going to be annoyed, if it's the high DPSers or the other group.

Taking min-max performance aside, it is difficult to gauge a player's performance on DPS alone. A CC ship can potentially allow some missions to succeed even when the DPS being put out is below what some would consider minimums for that mission. There are also debuffers that allow other players to get the needed DPS numbers while getting a lower amount of DPS for themselves (ex. Recluse Nannies).
    I fully agree, DSP is not the end of all.
    But the current game mechanics almost ignores CC or tanking at all. the only thing that counts is how fast can you kill a enemy ship. I don't like it and i am sure a lot of people agree with me, but that's how the game works currently.
    Then again, once you know the game basics (build, positioning and skill management), it is very easy to hit 5-8k DPS consistently with minimal effort/money/dil/ec spent.
    Obviously not for some people. :(
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think that would kill queues further since it'll bring low DPS people together to the same queue. Unless of course you mean bringing players together so their total DPS meets the mission needs? If it's the latter then that would really be beneficial to queues.

I'm all for an in-game system to measure performance. To prevent players from talking other players down you should be able to set your stats display to private/public.

Taking min-max performance aside, it is difficult to gauge a player's performance on DPS alone. A CC ship can potentially allow some missions to succeed even when the DPS being put out is below what some would consider minimums for that mission. There are also debuffers that allow other players to get the needed DPS numbers while getting a lower amount of DPS for themselves (ex. Recluse Nannies).

Then again, once you know the game basics (build, positioning and skill management), it is very easy to hit 5-8k DPS consistently with minimal effort/money/dil/ec spent.

It wont solve any problems at the public queue quality. All of these is theoretical that what you expect will happens, will happen only if the quality player is willing to queue up at the same time on the same STF. We have a lot of diversity in this game and too much stuff to do. That is a lot of conditions to meet.

Non of an ingame dps meter auto grouping will solve the current problems. One is diversity of content, one is time when a player wants to play that STF, the other one is willingness of a quality player to play at public queues.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    a3001 wrote: »
    How I yearn for the day we can actually perma-ban players for incompetence.

I yearn for the day we can perma ban players for being an ****.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    nightken wrote: »
    Most people have no idea what their DPS is. And there is no built-in DPS tools. So most people can't check it.

^ this

According to OP, should I enter advanced? Who knows. Cryptic maybe, but they won't tell us.

Players will try normal, see it's quite easy with pretty much any build/ship, and automatically go for advanced queues. And you can't even blame players, that's how videogames have worked since the '80s... once you beat content on easy, try normal. When you're done with normal, try hard, and so on.
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I've said this before, elsewhere, but it's worth repeating here:

I would rather have a player who only does 1 -2k DPS but knows what they're doing than a 5 - 10k DPS player who thinks they know what they're doing - but then prove that they don't.

Even if they "know what they are doing", a team of 1-2kers is not going to kill a transformer in time. There are other ways they can win an ISA, mainly adopting the old 10% rule and having someone hold the nanite spheres. But it's awkward as hell, and sure easier to just grab these people, give them a few hours of advice and get them to an easy 10k build.

<-- My account handle is over there so anyone can just send me a PM and we can work something out, but there are other sources of advice better than me of course, like the subforums here and the stobuilds reddit group.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I've always been hesitant about DPS meters, on one hand they create a certain element of elitism, definitely not among everyone in for example the DPS channels, but people like that are out there, lording their 20k over people who can't even break the 10k mark (like me, most likely lol), I've had experience with an ISA pug where parser readouts are posted with a whole line of cursing directed at the bottom two players for not being as awesome as they are.

On the other hand I feel a 1st party DPS meter of sorts for just about every PvE queue would help me actually see how I do and how to improve, it would allow me to try new builds and -see- my improvement or lack thereof first hand, and no, 3rd party parser software is for the vast majority of players, me included, not the solution.

If it were in build and always present for everyone to see, it would likely bring about change in many peoples attitudes, both the ones being *******s with their 20k and the ones absolutely refusing to take any advice on how to improve, lets face it, nobody wants to see themselves at the bottom of every queue they try to partake in, because it hits home hard how insufficient they really are.

As of now, with my being unable to see my own DPS and how I hold up compared to others, I feel no desire to improve or edit my 'builds', I play as I did two years ago when I was last active, build a ship with some common sense, like using one energy type, using the corresponding energy consoles, using proper BOFF skills and having the right DOFFs on duty, but beyond that I have no desire to worry about DPS and the tender feelings of the DPS crowd.

I also believe there's more then just non-stop DPSing in for example ISA, I -always- try to use whatever means I have to hold spheres back, I always come equipped with Gravity Well and Repulsors for example, often along with theta radiation even if that isn't ideal.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's an interesting point, actually. I only managed to get my build to approx 14k DPS on last parse.

But to be honest, I'm not really all that interested in increasing it any further. As daft as it may sound, I'm quite happy with it - it works for me. It would undoubtedly be a little better if some of my consoles were upgraded to Epic, but I am seldom willing to spend the resources necessary to attempt that unpredictable increase.

I imagine properly upgrading your stuff also depends on the amount of characters and ships you have.

I have 8 characters and my main alone has about 7 or 8 ships I all like to use, some undoubtedly with better equipment and DPS then others, like my Scimitar, but I don't even want to think about upgrading all of it to XIV Epic with full fleet consoles, etc.

Hell, I find all the reputation bars bad enough without DPS to worry about.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    And again, I'd take that over someone who does respectable DPS, but flies off to the right and kills a transformer whilst the cube on the left-hand side is still in one piece,

I don't really get your argument. It's like saying you'd rather eat a burger that tastes average than a beef wellington that tastes divine but makes you ill because it's undercooked. It's an exceptional case.

A person that does what you described in queues is either a troll or someone incredibly ignorant who has not done the run before and never bothered to ask about the strategy. We all hate those people no matter what their build is. DPS doesn't factor into it.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm still trying to get a good build for my Kobali ship. Cruiser not so bad,

get the trait because you just never know what they will do in the future. yoke the console out . and delete the ship. that is what I did and most people i know did.

your probably a fed player so you have allot better options available to you. no real reason to waste time and multitude of game currencies trying to get a decent build out of something that your jsut going to trash. and if you do lvl it it and then junk it. you still reclaim it later on if a reason ever pops up and it will still be lvled up.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    edited June 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Haven't parsed/been parsed in a while but i can handle tholian and borg red alerts solo.
    I'm guessing that's sufficient.

1-2k is a bit low, but i have noticed that the folks who often save a queue with their GW/TBR tend to parse a bit lower. Getting a DPS below 10k does not mean a person does not make a significant contribution.

quit frankly its not. the borg you meet in those red alerts are not the same borg of the advanced borg STFs hulls are much much weaker. amount of ships is far less per group.

now im not saying what you isnt enough or isnt good . jsut you cant judge it that way. and its part of the problem. many think it is.

• Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Aww, that's not fair. Think back to when you were a newbie! I'm always happy to support someone just getting into Advance, because there always needs to be someone's first time. To play the game now, only playing advanced and elite is the way to get through the rep system and if you're not willing to help out players levelling or trying their might to get level, just stop whining about it and only make your own private queues!
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    icsairguns wrote: »
    quit frankly its not. the borg you meet in those red alerts are not the same borg of the advanced borg STFs hulls are much much weaker. amount of ships is far less per group.

now im not saying what you isnt enough or isnt good . jsut you cant judge it that way. and its part of the problem. many think it is.

Finishing all tholians in the set time however is something else all together. I've seen 1 video of someone pulling it off, but other than that..
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    linyive wrote: »
    I remember when video games were meant for fun.

I guess it's all serious business these days.

Maybe for the other guys. I'm having a blast rolling around RAs and normal queues in my Ambassador. They can be serious business, I'm having fun!
    It's an interesting point, actually. I only managed to get my build to approx 14k DPS on last parse.

But to be honest, I'm not really all that interested in increasing it any further. As daft as it may sound, I'm quite happy with it - it works for me. It would undoubtedly be a little better if some of my consoles were upgraded to Epic, but I am seldom willing to spend the resources necessary to attempt that unpredictable increase.

I might parse once I get Mk XIV in weapons and offensive consoles, just for giggles. If I can make 10k, groovy. If not, its still fun.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The problem with DPS in this game is that it isn't even close to constant. Getting X DPS on normal isn't going to give you X DPS on advanced. Doing X DPS in ISA isn't going to give you X DPS in KSA. Doing X DPS in ISA 1 isn't going to give you X DPS in ISA 2, as the team can be very different bringing different things to the table. It is also why DPS meters present a poor picture of things.

Take a tier 1 ship and get 75K+ DPS in ISA. Great! But that is not going to happen in a PUG, not even close. That number requires a team to set it up.

When you have a team of 4 Tacs that are good at not overlapping their tactical fleets and are all using APB 3 or something, that 5th person is going to parse far higher than a random team of Sci and Eng captains who are only using APO for an attack pattern if they have one at all.

Buffing team damage gives a skewed picture to people and can't be filtered out. Most people have no understanding of it at all either, which leads to thinking they are doing more DPS than they are really capable of. Buffs and debuffs are a force multiplier.

That is the general problem with DPS parsing as it stands and using ISA as a standard. Your DPS isn't as good as you think it is without the right team behind it.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    On that elitism thing.... They do that now with the parsers. So no change there. Sure a few more may pop up but anyone who really care the much would just get a parser so they can lord their greatness or whatever.

Personally I think the best thing to do is add an option to add a DPS meter to the HUD.

1. You can only see your meter, mostly to limit as much as humanity the amount of elitism . not going stop but nether has not having a in game meter. No leaderboard nonsense.

2. Lists mission, current dps , average dps, and highest damage spike. Oh and healing. Nothing fancy just enough to give people an idea where their at.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    but beyond that I have no desire to worry about DPS and the tender feelings of the DPS crowd.

I also believe there's more then just non-stop DPSing in for example ISA, I -always- try to use whatever means I have to hold spheres back, I always come equipped with Gravity Well and Repulsors for example, often along with theta radiation even if that isn't ideal.

i dont think its a dps crowd thing because im not in it . i have said many times im no uber player . i just want mission to NOT fail. especially for Klingon players . used to be a day when people would see a kdf ship in a stf and know that ship was not going to TRIBBLE up. that just dont hold anylonger.

and you talk about CC do you know how many kdf ships that are viable end game ships. can actually even slott gravwell 1?

with a lvl 40 end game ship min 6 weapon slots purple mk12 weapons and purple mk12 tac consoles of the correct flavor and player can pull in the needed dps. but it goes beyond that they need to know what do.

so much of this is cryptic fault that we have the problem, but it is also our faults for not bothing to check/ and or not bothering to help.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    The problem with DPS in this game is that it isn't even close to constant. Getting X DPS on normal isn't going to give you X DPS on advanced. Doing X DPS in ISA isn't going to give you X DPS in KSA. Doing X DPS in ISA 1 isn't going to give you X DPS in ISA 2, as the team can be very different bringing different things to the table. It is also why DPS meters present a poor picture of things.

Take a tier 1 ship and get 75K+ DPS in ISA. Great! But that is not going to happen in a PUG, not even close. That number requires a team to set it up.

When you have a team of 4 Tacs that are good at not overlapping their tactical fleets and are all using APB 3 or something, that 5th person is going to parse far higher than a random team of Sci and Eng captains who are only using APO for an attack pattern if they have one at all.

Buffing team damage gives a skewed picture to people and can't be filtered out. Most people have no understanding of it at all either, which leads to thinking they are doing more DPS than they are really capable of. Buffs and debuffs are a force multiplier.

That is the general problem with DPS parsing as it stands and using ISA as a standard. Your DPS isn't as good as you think it is without the right team behind it.

^^^^^ all of that. hell you could pull 8k dps 3 times in a row with runs. then get into one where some of the uber premades enter and not even break 1k. simply because they kill it before you got to it. and those does not in anyway mean your bad or your ship sucks just theirs is better. or they had team support.

and the reason why people need to know the missions.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    icsairguns wrote: »
    i dont think its a dps crowd thing because im not in it . i have said many times im no uber player . i just want mission to NOT fail. especially for Klingon players . used to be a day when people would see a kdf ship in a stf and know that ship was not going to TRIBBLE up. that just dont hold anylonger.

and you talk about CC do you know how many kdf ships that are viable end game ships. can actually even slott gravwell 1?

with a lvl 40 end game ship min 6 weapon slots purple mk12 weapons and purple mk12 tac consoles of the correct flavor and player can pull in the needed dps. but it goes beyond that they need to know what do.

so much of this is cryptic fault that we have the problem, but it is also our faults for not bothing to check/ and or not bothering to help.

Failure I believe is limited to players who insists on playing a specific STF at a specific time, while restricting self in PuGs, not improving self to carry.

You have player wants diversity, mission/STF/Event diversity, time diversity, grouping diversity. Cryptic cannot solve that without destroying how others play the game since it was the community who decide to play in such a way.

Essentially, complaints about PuG queues want cryptic to force or herd players at a specific time at a specific STF/mission and forced to PuG. Because in order to have successful queues you need quality players who are absent from exactly the specific time, specific STF, PUGs at the complainants choosing.
  • Options
    shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited June 2015

i wouldn't want to be that mean. just make it so that the ignore feature is disabled until after they break the 5k barrier so that they cant simply ignore ppl giving them advice. (this would be per character). yes I know they wouldn't be able to ignore the gold diggers or anyone else they might be inclined to. u know what id call this issue? motivation.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    Well... there goes STO. Killed by Prick Elitests who feel everyone MUST play by their standards and TRIBBLE fun. And forget having alts because you'd have to treat them like your main otherwise... oh look! A low DPS idiot! BAN!

Wait... I think I just banned Bob, my best friend... oops. Guess he needs a new account. And Bob got banned again by someone else...

Worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

My honest 2 ECs
    shinnok918 wrote: »
    i wouldn't want to be that mean. just make it so that the ignore feature is disabled until after they break the 5k barrier so that they cant simply ignore ppl giving them advice. (this would be per character). yes I know they wouldn't be able to ignore the gold diggers or anyone else they might be inclined to. u know what id call this issue? motivation.

I wouldn't call that motivation. Besides... its not really an issue of the ignore feature, its more of an issue of willingness to listen, as some of them might have been verbally abused by some veteran players for not being on their level, and thus are discouraged from listening to anyone and just close the chat window.

Its a theory.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    shinnok918 wrote: »
    ive been pugging isa a lot and ive seen several ships in there under 5k dps. run em through STO gateway and they have straight atrocious builds. had a pathfinder today that was running one beam of each type and consoles for none of the above. horrid. 1k dps, that was it. perhaps they were popping grav wells, but the saving grace for the match was 3 20k dps players. player number 4 was a 5ker.

advanced isa's require certain important things. unfortunately there's an invisible clock that can be affected only so many times before it runs out and the mission fails....the time it takes the spheres to get from the gate to the transformer. each grav well extends this by 20 seconds proving they are popped in exact order. if there's three players with one paying attention this clock can be extended indefinitely.

so how to beat the clock without 2 or 3 grav wells? dps. I even tell players when im helping set up their ship...5k is minimum u should take into an advanced, and even then ull have some players cuss at you for low numbers, but at least 5k shows ur working on it, and ur not a complete mooch in the round.

the worst one was yesterday when a 4-5k player decided to try taking on transformers alone. the idiot got as far as calling in both cubes and running away. my 20k butt was stuck on probes because everyone else ignored this fact. and suddenly because of the 5ker's idiocy I was fighting cubes, spheres, and having to hold off probes. I did it, someone else finally came over and helped, and I was able to work on generators and transformers like I should've been from the very beginning.

I don't mind carrying a player or 2 but when their in the 1k-2k dps range, im annoyed at the very least because they shouldn't be there.

This reeks of elitism and e-peen. A foul stench much like a sewer. You should feel bad for posting it.

And what you described (in bold) isn't a DPS issue. It was an idiot who didn't know what the hell to do, or was trolling the team.

The only solution to the problem is more elite instances for you 1337 dudebros to PuG, instead of you farming advanced for marks. Or private runs with fleetmates and friends.

• Options
    This reeks of elitism and e-peen. A foul stench much like a sewer. You should feel bad for posting it.

And what you described (in bold) isn't a DPS issue. It was an idiot who didn't know what the hell to do, or was trolling the team.

The only solution to the problem is more elite instances for you 1337 dudebros to PuG, instead of you farming advanced for marks. Or private runs with fleetmates and friends.

Normal players wanting to belong in Advance without improving self? What happens now to Advance level skilled players?

What you want is entitlement and spoonfeeding.

Kind twisted and odd that your Normal level skilled players to belong in Advance but those who are capable in Advance shouldn't belong there.
  • Options
    Advanced isn't enough of a challenge for some people though, yet we don't have Elite versions of the old Borg STFs yet, so the people who like a challenge like Korfez and have the gear for it have no choice but to do "Easy Mode" Advanced.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Advanced isn't enough of a challenge for some people though, yet we don't have Elite versions of the old Borg STFs yet, so the people who like a challenge like Korfez and have the gear for it have no choice but to do "Easy Mode" Advanced.

Which is exactly what is wrong with the adjustment. The nerf catered for normal skilled players wanting to belong in advance but not all normal players but pushed away the Advance level players. There is no more middle ground for players.

What is revealing is that the PuG population hasn't changed at all even with theses Advanced nerfs. Truly shows that only a couple of self entitled and spoiled players want these changes.
  • Options
    paxdawn wrote: »
    What is revealing is that the PuG population hasn't changed at all even with theses Advanced nerfs. Truly shows that only a couple of self entitled and spoiled players want these changes.

"Banning" people or locking them out behind an arbitrary DPS level of their choosing is not the way to encourage improvement. Its like WoW's Gear Score. Its a means to discriminate. In some instances, like Korfez, I can understand, but that is set up as an Elite only queue anyway. Not everyone is as hardcore as the elite of the elite. A lot of us are casual. I know I am, but I'm also a decent player. However my gear does not make me a n00b, nor does my playstyle, which has its quirks I'm sure. I tend to be more situational with my BOff powers rather than just roll the cooldowns.

What needs to be done is maybe an outreach program for people who want to learn in a friendly environment. Get veterans to volunteer to coach the less experienced players on basic single energy type builds and at least basic STF tactics or something. But do it in a way that leaves the rookies feeling that they accomplished something other than getting yelled at by pissed off elitests who didn't get their percieved easy marks.

Model it after the player driven PvP Boot Camp or something. Volunteer effort.
  • Options
    "Banning" people or locking them out behind an arbitrary DPS level of their choosing is not the way to encourage improvement.

What encourage improvement was difficulty setting. Now that you have Normal and Normal+. there is very little incentive to improve in public queues due to farming Normal gets you more rewards in time than Advance. The problem with your suggestion is that it denies the existence of players refusing to improve which is the same playerbase whinning for advance nerfs and the threads. Absent of these type of players who wants to be spoonfed with level 50 NPC quality like years ago even with the power creep of level 60 nowdays, your suggestion would work since it worked for advance quality players before the nerf via quality fleets, friends, alliances or channel knowledge. While the ones refusing to improve or learn are the ones left behind. Which in turn these type of players who refuse to improve are the ones who spearheaded for the Advance nerfs.
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    Honestly, it's not very hard to get to 10k in the slightest.

Simply having all the same energy types, Consoles in the right places (nothing but energy damage boosters in tactical!) and constantly rotating tactical abilities is more than enough for most ships. Science ships may struggle, however you can easily make up for it by regularly deploying damaging abilities such as Gravity Well or Feedback Pulse.

I think some users here overestimate the amount of 'elitists' there are. I've been part of the DPS-Leagues for months, and I've never been treated harshly for my builds, and have learned alot of interesting things that you can do to improve your load-out that i wouldn't have even considered before. Not once i have i been pressured into changing my build.
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    What needs to be done is maybe an outreach program for people who want to learn in a friendly environment. Get veterans to volunteer to coach the less experienced players on basic single energy type builds and at least basic STF tactics or something. But do it in a way that leaves the rookies feeling that they accomplished something other than getting yelled at by pissed off elitests who didn't get their percieved easy marks.

Hrmmm, how did the folks that are able to do things manage to end up doing them? Was there a magic wand waved in the middle of the night as they slept? Is there some hidden STO gene? Or...is it because there is a buffet of information available and all sorts of folks that have been willing to help others as they were helped previously?

I don't think the problem is people that want to learn in a friendly environment, and I believe that's one of the reasons that there is so much antagonism....cause it's about the folks that do not want to learn - do not want to bother. Cause there's no magic wand...no STO gene...folks didn't sit in a chair, jack in, and get the How-To STO program loaded into their cyberbrains. People that wanted to learn took advantage of everything that has been made available to them.