test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

under 5k dps....stay out of advanced

shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
ive been pugging isa a lot and ive seen several ships in there under 5k dps. run em through STO gateway and they have straight atrocious builds. had a pathfinder today that was running one beam of each type and consoles for none of the above. horrid. 1k dps, that was it. perhaps they were popping grav wells, but the saving grace for the match was 3 20k dps players. player number 4 was a 5ker.

advanced isa's require certain important things. unfortunately there's an invisible clock that can be affected only so many times before it runs out and the mission fails....the time it takes the spheres to get from the gate to the transformer. each grav well extends this by 20 seconds proving they are popped in exact order. if there's three players with one paying attention this clock can be extended indefinitely.

so how to beat the clock without 2 or 3 grav wells? dps. I even tell players when im helping set up their ship...5k is minimum u should take into an advanced, and even then ull have some players cuss at you for low numbers, but at least 5k shows ur working on it, and ur not a complete mooch in the round.

the worst one was yesterday when a 4-5k player decided to try taking on transformers alone. the idiot got as far as calling in both cubes and running away. my 20k butt was stuck on probes because everyone else ignored this fact. and suddenly because of the 5ker's idiocy I was fighting cubes, spheres, and having to hold off probes. I did it, someone else finally came over and helped, and I was able to work on generators and transformers like I should've been from the very beginning.

I don't mind carrying a player or 2 but when their in the 1k-2k dps range, im annoyed at the very least because they shouldn't be there.
Post edited by shinnok918 on

Comments

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Most people have no idea what their DPS is. And there is no built-in DPS tools. So most people can't check it.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Its the reason why the public queues are empty. Most players dont like to carry low dps players. So they join the dps-channels and play with premades. Those left in public queues are those who have no clue, dont like socializing or simply search for a challenge;)
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If you are truly as awesome as you want us to believe, then carrying four others who haven't a clue through any of the Elite STFs should be a walk in the park for you.

Complaining here about how poorly others set their ship up is merely an excuse. And one which has been used far too many times already.

Either you are the elite super-player you say you are. Or, you are not. I find players who complain in public about other players are far more likely to be part of the problem than part of the solution.

I can carry four without sweating too much. It means I have to hustle a bit and I need to be mindful of things like tactics and targeting priorities. I can also wait until after the STF is over and then try to contact the others and offer advice and suggestions about how to make their build better.

The one thing which never ceases to amaze me about threads like this is how the poster always assumes the player they have their panties all in a wad about wants to be not very good.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    nightken wrote: »
    Most people have no idea what their DPS is. And there is no built-in DPS tools. So most people can't check it.

So much this. .

I'm sorry and I don't disagree when someone can't kill things etc is a tad annoying.

BUT.

telling someone to stay out of a section on the game when there isn't a easy way to tell what your build is, is a tad rude at best.

to the casual player Dps isn't something they even consider let alone know how to tell what their Dps is without a 3rd party plug in.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'd love to know what my DPS is. All I know is that, if I shoot at stuff often enough, it'll die. ;)

EDIT: My only barometer is getting multiple 1st place finishes in CCA flying a DSD-T5U.
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lebtron wrote: »
    Its the reason why the public queues are empty. Most players dont like to carry low dps players. So they join the dps-channels and play with premades. Those left in public queues are those who have no clue, dont like socializing or simply search for a challenge;)

The challenge is greater when you pug, not the opposite.:D
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rakija879 wrote: »
    The challenge is greater when you pug, not the opposite.:D

Thats what I said and do;)
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    A bunch of **** you made up and then attributed to someone else.

None of the things you claim can be backed up by an actual reading of the OP.

In fact the only difference between your two posts is that you sort of...

Say how much better you are than the OP cause you can carry 4 players.

Great. You're so much better. Good for you!

And as you reference Elite level in your post, and not the Advanced that the OP addresses, even better for you. Carrying the team through Elite!

Learn to read posts and respond rationally.

Comprehension is the DPS meter of a forum. You're not contributing to the team here.

And OP, yah. You win. That level of DPS and builds does show a lack of knowledge on the players part at the very least. And sure you may try to give them tips as you do say you help people with their builds. And five k is like falling off a log if you have the dire minimum.

But, instead of just the warning to stay out, offer some resources.

Build sub forum

PVE sub forum
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lebtron wrote: »
    Thats what I said and do;)

Good!:)
    Don't forget also that the majority of fleet/channel players do missions like ~ ISA and queues like it and ignore others especially ground oriented, so the only way for you to do something you like, or need is to pug.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    To some, its obvious players who can't handle Advanced shouldn't be there.

Unfortunately, since the game lets them queue without qualification and doesn't provide any performance feedback, it's anything but obvious to those players themselves. There's little point in telling them, they'll just ignore you. And its even more pointless to quote DPS figures at them because they don't have any idea of their DPS, the game doesn't tell them that.

They'll come anyway and blame everyone else when the mission fails. Which is why Advanced is getting dumbed down to Normal+ soon. Apparently that's preferable to making the beginners play Normal until they're good enought to handle a game you don't automatically win just by showing up.
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Oh look, its this thread again.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    thissler wrote: »

And as you reference Elite level in your post, and not the Advanced that the OP addresses, even better for you. Carrying the team through Elite!

Comprehension is the DPS meter of a forum. You're not contributing to the team here.

And OP, yah. You win. That level of DPS and builds does show a lack of knowledge on the players part at the very least. And sure you may try to give them tips as you do say you help people with their builds. And five k is like falling off a log if you have the dire minimum.

Build sub forum

PVE sub forum

Thissler, you are generally someone whose opinion I respect. I spend time watching the videos you post. I have found many useful things over the years in your posts.

But if you are going to call me a liar in the future, please do so in a more direct manner. I stand behind my post and my statements.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    ddplattddplatt Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah cuz dps is all that matters, should be about fun, you win some you lose some but, either way who the hell are to tell people what they can't or can do.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If this game had a built in DPS meter, it could prohibit players from entering advance queues until they post 5k DPS in a normal difficulty version.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    As I have no idea what my DPS, so would it be helpful to brand players who have a lower DPS level so we can be quickly found and removed from pugging?
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    bobtheyakbobtheyak Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It shouldn't matter if people have low DPS. It's Cryptic's fault for making all the queues DPS-based.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Of all the players in STO probably 75% of them likely have no idea what their DPS is and have no idea how effective they are other than when they do solo content.
    Even in a team environment like ISA where the rest of the team carys you how are you to even recognize you are being carried unless you are measuring DPS? Aside from the numbers flying past above something being shot there's no way to know how effective a player is without external sources such as DPS meters.
    So how does a casual or new player recognize they are not successful? The enemy still gets blown up evn if someone else does most of the damage, they might not even die, so to their eyes that look successful.

If you're going to stop people from going in to part of the game until they meet some arbitrary requirement of DPS numbers then you have to provide them with a mean of measuring such things in game.

And speaking of ISA, I have a Pathfinder that can spit put grav wells that hoover up and lock down the entire map. I do barely any DPS if I set it up for such full-on crowd control mode but I can guarantee I'll keep that mission from failing as I keep the nanites held up indefinitely. So should I not be playing that mission?
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bobtheyak wrote: »
    It shouldn't matter if people have low DPS. It's Cryptic's fault for making all the queues DPS-based.

That's true. Even the ones that were super fun and had side objectives you 'need' to complete before you get the big boss can simply be burned down like it's nothing.
    cidjack wrote: »
    As I have no idea what my DPS, so would it be helpful to brand players who have a lower DPS level so we can be quickly found and removed from pugging?

That's actually a super good idea. Maybe you could pick out some sort of geometric symbol that would flash up over a player's ship?

Sort of like those combat supply modules do on ground maps?:):D:mad::confused:

Or maybe not. Maybe branding isn't for everyone? I think the players should discuss this as there is a sort of historical precedent here and I'm not sure that everyone would find it as favorable as you do.

Anyways GOOD contribution, it shows that you're thinking of ways to help!
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited June 2015

That's actually a super good idea. Maybe you could pick out some sort of geometric symbol that would flash up over a player's ship?

Sort of like those combat supply modules do on ground maps?:):D:mad::confused:

Or maybe not. Maybe branding isn't for everyone? I think the players should discuss this as there is a sort of historical precedent here and I'm not sure that everyone would find it as favorable as you do.

Anyways GOOD contribution, it shows that you're thinking of ways to help!

Good to find someone who can detect sarcasm.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015

Build sub forum

PVE sub forum

I have to agree with this. Instead of ranting and raving about how people aren't meeting other people's "standards", they should be providing advice on how to improve. Its threads like this that make it sound like everyone must learn through osmosis or "GTFO and stop tarnishin' mah win streak wit' yer n00bness". Drives me nuts to see things like that.
    warpangel wrote:
    Which is why Advanced is getting dumbed down to Normal+ soon. Apparently that's preferable to making the beginners play Normal until they're good enought to handle a game you don't automatically win just by showing up.

Actually Cryptic is adjusting the Advanced objectives because the way they had set it up orignially was WAY TOO MUCH of a difficulty curve for even some veteran players. Instead of a decent slope for Difficulty increase... it was a sheer verticle cliff that only the previously epic "I can do old ISE in 5 minutes with one hand tied behind my back" builds could handle.

Ok... don't let nanite ships heal as an optional. No problem. Get a good CC ship in to hold them in a grav well.

Now do that as required. Ok... some pressure, but tactics will still work. Time limit optional... doable.

Now do all that... as MANDATORY objectives. Lots of pressure.

That would normally make sense... if the NPCs weren't made into HP Sponges that can shrug off just about everything you throw at them FORCING players into the DPS race to counteract the sheer amount of HP the enemies have. So now they're making the objectives more achievable to everyone and not just the elite of the elite. Whenever they come out with the Elite STFs for Infected, Cure, and Kitomer, I'm sure people will be happy to "Get away from the n00bs". Until then... less whining and actually be helpful to others instead of blaiming Cryptic for "enabling this" and players for "failing at that".

Speaking of sponges... I think the reason for the tankyness of NPCs was a response to people celebrating their epic 50k+ builds.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Those of you who don't know your DPS can always join the DPS-Public chat channel and ask for a team there. Remember to ask specifically for atleast one person who can parse.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    Those of you who don't know your DPS can always join the DPS-Public chat channel and ask for a team there. Remember to ask specifically for atleast one person who can parse.

Yes that's all well and good but the VAST majority of players in STO are way, way to casual to even have the chat windows open or to know how to use various channels to looks for things like that.
    Considering not even all the STO players speak the same language and a huge number probably don't even have chat windows open, expecting them to be aware of places to go and ask for parses is like expecting a miracle.

The game needs to have some form of build in system to measure your effectiveness in team environments. Because once you finish the episodic content for STO there is absolutely no guidance on what to do next of how you compare to other players apart from what colour your ship's hull is from various rep items.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Genuinely asking: how difficult would it be for a table to pop up at the end listing the damage dealt by each person in an STF?
  • Options
    elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jstewart55 wrote: »
    Genuinely asking: how difficult would it be for a table to pop up at the end listing the damage dealt by each person in an STF?

Neverwinter already does this, so I see no reason for it not to exist in STO.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited June 2015

not at all... the script is there. Damage and healing
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thissler, you are generally someone whose opinion I respect. I spend time watching the videos you post. I have found many useful things over the years in your posts.

But if you are going to call me a liar in the future, please do so in a more direct manner. I stand behind my post and my statements.

He didn't say you were you a liar. He said you were ignorant and lacked basic reading comprehension skills. Which has been further cemented, as a correct hypothesis, based on you not understanding that post either.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have no clue what my DPS is. All I know I hit it enough times it will die. Some things die faster, some takes a good beating.

It would be nice if they did add a DPS meter to the game. WoW had one, and put who was ranking in the group. Even heals was added up.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They had this a long time ago in the original Crystalline Entity Fleet Action and also the Undine Fleet Action I believe. It was removed because people felt outed.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    OP, press Alt+F4. Problem solved.