Install Arc
Options

Klingon character revamp in the works

Comments

• Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    That's cool!

While you are at it can you add some dog heads to the alien creator, such as pekingese type, pug type, shih-tzu type. Flat face/round head dogs would fit the normal specification for character heads.

Lol. You are amazing. I can't even call that a derail as you seem to flow right into the request as though it's totally related!

There are a lot of things desired for the Klingon faction. Dog faces had not come up. ever.

But you have me curious, is that canon? Are there humanoid dog species in Star Trek? Even if not, the funny thing is, possibly one day, we'll make something like that.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    But you have me curious, is that canon? Are there humanoid dog species in Star Trek? Even if not, the funny thing is, possibly one day, we'll make something like that.
    The Anticans.

By the way, do you have knowledge of any missing canon costume parts? TOS, TAS, etc. There's apparently a lot of untapped potential regarding KDF uniforms to hear other posters tell it.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ok.

But any chance of having options (beside doing 'Alien) for TOS Klingons?
    Lol. You are amazing. I can't even call that a derail as you seem to flow right into the request as though it's totally related!

There are a lot of things desired for the Klingon faction. Dog faces had not come up. ever.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antican
  • Options
    qordaqqordaq Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is great news and the before and after shots (of the boots) really help sell the goals here. It is good to see this happening in what ever time frame it takes to do it right.

Even the Omega boots look (a little) better than they did, which is saying something.

As a note/request, I personally would love to see the Omega Gear available as parts that are interchangeable with other uniform bits; for example I would like to be able to wear the canon styled tall boots with my HG armor, the standard type 3 gauntlet with my elite armor would be fantastic as well. or even the fur collar and Cape/Cloak with standard armor.

Regardless, thanks to those who have chosen to take this on!

maj! {Klingon for "Good"}
    Previously: QorDaq
    Operations Team, 12th Fleet
  • Options
    stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is wonderful news, and I love the new concept art.

Edit: Oh, hey. I sent you some questions on Reddit, Joe, and I wanted to know if you saw them.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nuqneH Klingons!

The following is on the character art side of things but we thought it big enough news to put here in the GD thread...

We're excited to say there is a gradual but fairly good sized revamp in the works to the Klingon faction (both for players and NPC’s) to make them look tougher, more realistic, and cooler…trying to capture more the essence of the shows.

In fact, due to a recent check-in bug, some of these changes are going in even sooner than we intended! (mainly updates to male boots)

Anyway, as you’ve probably noticed, many of our older Klingon armor pieces are a bit cartoonish and/or oddly shaped, gravity-defying, and often over-sized. This was an attempt to make the Klingons look bulkier as they do in the shows. The problem is the underlying body in STO is/was usually still skinny to average in size. So the end result often looks like a skinny kid wearing oversized foam costume armor and an old man mask :P

Rest assured, we have no intention of limiting the body scaling - so you can make just as wide a range of body types as you can now. But we want to make the default, starting Klingon body type bulkier, stronger and more natural and proportionate. Additionally, we plan on a similar treatment with other species/genders as appropriate, like Orion males.

Then, with a better base body, adjustments will be made to the armor components to give a better fit.

Next, and possibly most exciting to many players, will be to include a sheathed D’k Tahg (Klingon Dagger), fingerless gloves, and a starting rank 0 sash (leather strap) as optional starting gear for Klingon faction.

Visuals to help illustrate:
    http://imgur.com/bpgiA71

As I said, the updates will eventually affect the NPC’s and enemy groups as well. A rough mock-up of the general direction (note: this isn’t the final pass, the armor is not refitted and/or necessarily the final combination, and the group will have more color variance):

http://imgur.com/2EeUnQ2

And yes, female KDF will get a pass too.

Sooo....while we don't intend to do before/after shots for each and every asset, the boots already show subtle but marked improvement. For the most part the feet are a more unified and proportionate size to the rest of the body. Many of the boots are generally taller, usually over the knee, which is more directly influenced from the actual costumes on the series. And many boots got a shape massage and an extra embellishment here and there. Before and after here:

http://imgur.com/lQXxy0I

Finally, long term goals will be to possibly add and/or unlock more hairstyles.

Final, final note…this is a big undertaking that is getting addressed little by little between many of our other tasks. There isn’t a set date for it to go out, and it won’t happen soon, but there’s also a chance little bits will trickle in (or in big chunks as has happened w/ male boots :P). We’re posting here to share our plans and receive feedback early.

Thanks and hope you’re as excited about this as we are!

I'd love it if we had a option for Klingons to make them like the Tos Klingons without forehead ridges if possible in the update. oh and the tos klingon haircut too.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just realised, there's something none of us have mentioned so far...

Does this revamp mean we'll finally get the blue-with-gold-trim-2409 KDF sash like the NPC's have?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,343 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015

Yes! Anticans! Anticans are canon! :D

GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    tmassx wrote: »
    This is nice update. Some designers still have good taste and understand that you do not want to play with tron/latex figures.

Hm....same guy behind both :).

I've done things on Star Trek ranging from the recent Resistance Suits, to pushing for and doing the bulk of the Klingon revamp, to main cast members from the show like Worf, Tuvok, and Harry Kim, to Snowman Borg, to kitty cats.

I think the universe of Star Trek is diverse enough to not only accommodate such a wide range of "taste", but to encourage it. I mean, look at the show - favorite example: potato heads, the Hierachy (which I also made for STO): http://subspacecomms.com/sites/default/files/070609-trivia/6.jpg

And that's one of the great things about Star Trek and Star Trek Online. Hell, you can even turn off the glows on the suit if you don't like them. Or...you can simply wear any of the other dozens of uniforms and armors instead.

In the end, we'll keep making more costumes and though we won't ever make something that everyone digs, everyone will dig something.
  • Options
    xelene13xelene13 Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh another thing, could the colour palettes for all items match please, it's rather hard and frustrating when they don't. In fact I would suggest having one palette for all factions for all items. This way people have more variety and choices to choose from as well.

This ^^. For the love of Kahless THIS!!! lol
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Though I don't actually have a Klingon in my stable of KDF characters, I welcome this.

If nothing else, I'd imagine that some of the costume options will bleed over into other KDF species and my Klingon Bridge Officers will get a nice do-over.

Will there be a way to "reset" existing characters in the Tailor to a baseline that we can then modify to our hearts' content?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Very nice... but Cookie Cupcakes won't be happy... no gender fix for the Gorn! :P

Hope this isn't too much of a derail, but I have a technical question. I "get" that we don't have female Gorn in the game because they would end up using the female humanoid body type. My question is this -- are the ranges and values of the body type sliders specific to a species, or do all females humanoids share the same ranges? I know, for example, the facial sliders for "aliens" have much more effect than for others, just don't know if that's hard-coded.

If it's by species, I would think it would be possible to come up with a set of female slider ranges that's not so "mammalian". In other words, female Gorn would still have a "Bust" slider, but it wouldn't really have any effect.
  • Options
    thehavrahathehavraha Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I've done things on Star Trek ranging from the recent Resistance Suits, to pushing for and doing the bulk of the Klingon revamp, to main cast members from the show like Worf, Tuvok, and Harry Kim, to Snowman Borg, to kitty cats.

I think the universe of Star Trek is diverse enough to not only accommodate such a wide range of "taste", but to encourage it. I mean, look at the show - favorite example: potato heads, the Hierachy (which I also made for STO): http://subspacecomms.com/sites/default/files/070609-trivia/6.jpg

And that's one of the great things about Star Trek and Star Trek Online. Hell, you can even turn off the glows on the suit if you don't like them. Or...you can simply wear any of the other dozens of uniforms and armors instead.

In the end, we'll keep making more costumes and though we won't ever make something that everyone digs, everyone will dig something.

Love it so far. Now this IS a derailing, but since you mentioned you've worked on everything from this to cats, I was wondering if you could give a looksy over at Rigelians? They're lacking a lot of hair style options, especcially short hair ones, and the fact that we don't have any of their parts in the alien generator means we can't use them to make hybrid Rigelians, or Rigelians who might have changed faction sides (such for use in Foundry stories). I'm a big Rigelian fan, if you couldn't tell. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am a Cheestah.
    Check out my Foundry missions
    Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
    KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From one of the older players and very long time KDF partisan:

I've been paying attention in great many area's. With G's reveals on the most recent Hailing frequencies pod cast and your post here I am feeling a bit hope full that some long time "demands" from the KDF playerbase (And they have been demands, and not exactly unfair ones either) are actually finially going to get the work on then that to many of us feel are way way over due.

Plenty of hints that there is likely far far more coming then what we have been told to this point. Even if most of the changes are minor in and of themselves, the entirety of what we are now seeing, and by extropolation what we can reasonably expect to see with it....

Thanks guys. To long of a time coming, But a heart felt thanks.

Looking forward to a very great many fixes in KDF costume wear..

It'll be nice to wear a sheathed Dagger as all KDF personal should. Who knows maybe we can manage to get someone so say, "Well, you know, it a Klingon thing" and just slap a K'tinga skins and mesh on a Sci/Exploration/support set of stats... (could do the same with any of the Raptor hulls too.

Just a suggestion.. and.. cheap, easy, FAST.

Thanks again, and the regards of the Klingon Black Fleet
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015

The closest I can come to a dog species is the Antican species (I think was more of a mongoose) from the first season of TNG. But if those were to be introduced, doing so without the Selay, snake race, would be a big disappointment.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015

I looked at that picture and I just ROFL.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Selay

The Selay look awesome. I suppose natural immunity to toxic damage would go with them.
  • Options
    dandalfthetealdandalftheteal Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Super excited about this. I am hoping one day for the coat that TNG klingon captains wear, and hopefully like so many others, a useable dk'tahg and mek'leth
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In the end, we'll keep making more costumes

yes, please, after the klingons; the roms need also some new clothes: a new skirt, a new republic uniform with long pants available.

the c-store should have a tailor section :P

i spend a lot of time in the tailor, i'm more interesting by the appearance of my captains and boffs than new stuf for my ships (slots are limited).

if you could also unlock the outfit. i like the mercenary outfit, but i can't mix it with the uniform clothes. After all, there are already a lot of alien uniforms/armors worn; why the outfit clothes wouldn't be put in the uniform section. :)

btw, very nice job for "mister potato". one of them used by my bajoran captain is named; "aval douar", in the language of my people, this means "Potato" :D
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes. Fantastic. My Klingon characters approve and salute. Thank you.
    More.
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I wonder if these art based changes will make it to space like as in flashing red for the b'rels enhanced battle cloak when it fires or even different color flashes depending on torpedo type lol :D So yeah a revamp on anything KDF is pretty much welcome needed and the ability to have glows is something we've never really had a luxury with.

As well with options would be nice in space if you could pick what kind of animation you want for shields where as that is one big option a lot of people have like say wanting romulan texture but being able to use KHG space set.

Final thing... Klingon dagger and mek'leth want badly... Anyways Quapla' or Bumblebee tuna.
  • Options
    nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wait, actual updates to the KDF? Did I wake up in bizarroland?

They look great. New Klingon clothing has been requested for a while. This needs to go up on the news page ASAP. I know the last time I actually checked on new Klingon costumes, some people were still having problems with locked costume slots. Is that still an issue?

Also, is there any chance of ever getting the option for the classsic Gorn look again?
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    WOW, after a frustrating day this is actually a bright light at the end of a tunnel...and it's not a photon torpedo.:D
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    WHAR SKANT?!?!? WHAR!?!?!?!

And what about the Mighty Speedo of Khaless? It has been spoken about in hushed tones, but it is the only TRUE armor a warrior needs! QaplA!!!!11!!
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is great!

But could we, maybe, possibly, get female Nausicaans? Female Gorn?

And I'm really looking forward to possibly more hairslyles.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nuqneH Klingons!

The following is on the character art side of things but we thought it big enough news to put here in the GD thread...

We're excited to say there is a gradual but fairly good sized revamp in the works to the Klingon faction (both for players and NPC’s) to make them look tougher, more realistic, and cooler…trying to capture more the essence of the shows.

In fact, due to a recent check-in bug, some of these changes are going in even sooner than we intended! (mainly updates to male boots)

Anyway, as you’ve probably noticed, many of our older Klingon armor pieces are a bit cartoonish and/or oddly shaped, gravity-defying, and often over-sized. This was an attempt to make the Klingons look bulkier as they do in the shows. The problem is the underlying body in STO is/was usually still skinny to average in size. So the end result often looks like a skinny kid wearing oversized foam costume armor and an old man mask :P

Rest assured, we have no intention of limiting the body scaling - so you can make just as wide a range of body types as you can now. But we want to make the default, starting Klingon body type bulkier, stronger and more natural and proportionate. Additionally, we plan on a similar treatment with other species/genders as appropriate, like Orion males.

Then, with a better base body, adjustments will be made to the armor components to give a better fit.

Next, and possibly most exciting to many players, will be to include a sheathed D’k Tahg (Klingon Dagger), fingerless gloves, and a starting rank 0 sash (leather strap) as optional starting gear for Klingon faction.

Visuals to help illustrate:
    http://imgur.com/bpgiA71

As I said, the updates will eventually affect the NPC’s and enemy groups as well. A rough mock-up of the general direction (note: this isn’t the final pass, the armor is not refitted and/or necessarily the final combination, and the group will have more color variance):

http://imgur.com/2EeUnQ2

And yes, female KDF will get a pass too.

Sooo....while we don't intend to do before/after shots for each and every asset, the boots already show subtle but marked improvement. For the most part the feet are a more unified and proportionate size to the rest of the body. Many of the boots are generally taller, usually over the knee, which is more directly influenced from the actual costumes on the series. And many boots got a shape massage and an extra embellishment here and there. Before and after here:

http://imgur.com/lQXxy0I

Finally, long term goals will be to possibly add and/or unlock more hairstyles.

Final, final note…this is a big undertaking that is getting addressed little by little between many of our other tasks. There isn’t a set date for it to go out, and it won’t happen soon, but there’s also a chance little bits will trickle in (or in big chunks as has happened w/ male boots :P). We’re posting here to share our plans and receive feedback early.

Thanks and hope you’re as excited about this as we are!

AWESOME!!!

Really happy to see this, and a bit of TLC applied to the Klingon faction.

Keep up the good work!

(crossing fingers for some Klingon / Gorn / Nausiccan / Feresan ship love too)

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Couple of questions; would it be possible to get the light head ridges (like Miral Paris') for males? I guess it's probably out of the purview of this update but will we see the sleeveless and open chest KDF uniforms worn by Klaa and Vixis?
    Ah, yes, those were awesome. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    zeatrexzeatrex Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    About time...
    Now more KDF science ships please!
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    toiva wrote: »
    This is great!

But could we, maybe, possibly, get female Nausicaans? Female Gorn?

And I'm really looking forward to possibly more hairslyles.
    Don't forget female Letheans.
    And what about the Mighty Speedo of Khaless?
    This has got to be the greatest and best question that has ever been asked.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015

There are, they showed up on TNG a couple times. And once in a Federation Council scene from one of the movies.