test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon character revamp in the works

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    (Add obligatory rant about how all of this is unnecessary and generally wrong and blah blah blah XD)

I am really excited and overwhelmed to read this revamp. The Klingons in STO never looked "right", the costumes were goofy and didn't resemble canon attire at all. I hope more show costume pieces get added, more hairstyles are available and I would really excited if the D'K Tahg and the Targ handling were assets becoming available to players :) Oh, and the colour pallete - please open it. While we never saw much diversity between Klingon houses in the show I'd like to see differently coloured armours to resemble the feudal system more.

EDIT: Also, is there any chance of rescaling the Bat'leth to be realistically sized? It's not supposed to be as big as the weilder...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    this is a great news; thx :) a long pants would be cool too

btw, could you add an other choice for the ma'tha raptor nacelles; something smaller. thx
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Any attention given to the KDF is appreciated. Thank you. The changes look good and I look forward to seeing them ingame.

I sincerely hope this is merely the first step towards regular and far more complete attention given to the KDF side of the game. There are a great many things on the Red Side which previous EPs of STO deliberately allowed to stay broken since 'everyone knows' KDF makes up only 16% of the total player population. One cylinder of a V8 engine also makes up 16%. If that one cylinder stops working, the engine will continue to make whirring noises, but it isn't going anywhere.

Now, about that Dahar Master's Jacket. I fully expect to be ignored again on this request. As we have been ignored on so very many things in the past. But I am going to ask anyway. If I do not ask, then the answer is definitely 'no'.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited April 2015
    oh, btw, could you check also the tailor option for the rom-kdf aligned, there are a lot of problems, clothes linked with the hairs, long pants not available etc
  • kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nuqneH Klingons!

The following is on the character art side of things but we thought it big enough news to put here in the GD thread...

We're excited to say there is a gradual but fairly good sized revamp in the works to the Klingon faction (both for players and NPC’s) to make them look tougher, more realistic, and cooler…trying to capture more the essence of the shows.

In fact, due to a recent check-in bug, some of these changes are going in even sooner than we intended! (mainly updates to male boots)

Anyway, as you’ve probably noticed, many of our older Klingon armor pieces are a bit cartoonish and/or oddly shaped, gravity-defying, and often over-sized. This was an attempt to make the Klingons look bulkier as they do in the shows. The problem is the underlying body in STO is/was usually still skinny to average in size. So the end result often looks like a skinny kid wearing oversized foam costume armor and an old man mask :P

Rest assured, we have no intention of limiting the body scaling - so you can make just as wide a range of body types as you can now. But we want to make the default, starting Klingon body type bulkier, stronger and more natural and proportionate. Additionally, we plan on a similar treatment with other species/genders as appropriate, like Orion males.

Then, with a better base body, adjustments will be made to the armor components to give a better fit.

Next, and possibly most exciting to many players, will be to include a sheathed D’k Tahg (Klingon Dagger), fingerless gloves, and a starting rank 0 sash (leather strap) as optional starting gear for Klingon faction.

Visuals to help illustrate:
    http://imgur.com/bpgiA71

As I said, the updates will eventually affect the NPC’s and enemy groups as well. A rough mock-up of the general direction (note: this isn’t the final pass, the armor is not refitted and/or necessarily the final combination, and the group will have more color variance):

http://imgur.com/2EeUnQ2

And yes, female KDF will get a pass too.

Sooo....while we don't intend to do before/after shots for each and every asset, the boots already show subtle but marked improvement. For the most part the feet are a more unified and proportionate size to the rest of the body. Many of the boots are generally taller, usually over the knee, which is more directly influenced from the actual costumes on the series. And many boots got a shape massage and an extra embellishment here and there. Before and after here:

http://imgur.com/lQXxy0I

Finally, long term goals will be to possibly add and/or unlock more hairstyles.

Final, final note…this is a big undertaking that is getting addressed little by little between many of our other tasks. There isn’t a set date for it to go out, and it won’t happen soon, but there’s also a chance little bits will trickle in (or in big chunks as has happened w/ male boots :P). We’re posting here to share our plans and receive feedback early.

Thanks and hope you’re as excited about this as we are!

You good sir deserve one of the biggest hugs in the universe.
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is fantastic news, and I appreciate you sharing it.

May I ask for one thing to be added to the list, even if it's further down the line?

The jacket for KDF-affiliated Remans. The "Reman Klingon" uniform. Looks amazing of the Reman ladies, one of the sharpest uniforms in the game IMO, but it's so tight on the gents that it clips into the torso and the skin pokes out when the fellas so much as breathe.

I know that Romulans and Remans haven't been waiting nearly as long for a touch-up as the Klingons have, but it would be great to hear that Reman uniforms are a known issue and it's on the list.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Sooo....while we don't intend to do before/after shots for each and every asset, the boots already show subtle but marked improvement. For the most part the feet are a more unified and proportionate size to the rest of the body. Many of the boots are generally taller, usually over the knee, which is more directly influenced from the actual costumes on the series. And many boots got a shape massage and an extra embellishment here and there. Before and after here:

http://imgur.com/lQXxy0I

I actually prefer the look of the old Bortasqu' boots. Is it possible to get a shorter version that doesn't cover the knee? A friend of mine specifically unlocked the Bortasqu' costume variants from the starbase in order to get shorter boots. Several people I know have complained that the KDF lacks footwear that isn't overly bulky. Not everyone in the KDF plays as a Klingon.
    cuatela wrote: »
    As a request... instead of changing or replacing existing assets, would it be possible to add the new versions as a secondary option wherever possible? That was done with the Defiant's variants, and I greatly appreciated having more options as opposed to having parts changed completely.

Reason being, I'm looking at some of these before/after shots, and I actually prefer the before in some cases. My characters tend to be on the smaller side, and I prefer clothing that is less bulky to match. Obviously that's not the case for everyone, but more options would give greater flexibility.
    millybun wrote: »
    This too, I'm curious about. Some of the boots I prefer almost how they are now, the newer ones, at least, like the Bortasqu' boots. Having variations of some them instead of a straight up replacement would be preferable, especially since, again, KDF don't have that many options to begin with.

It seems that at least a few people agree with me.

Another complaint I've often heard is that the KDF color palette is too limited. Can we get more colors for the KDF?

And the Gorn mass and physique sliders are still missing.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited April 2015
    themartian wrote: »
    I certainly welcome any improvements and new options. I think a lot of KDF players (a few have already said here) that we really want the colour palette improved.

^Please, some brighter reds, purple and a green option would be great :D

5 things

1. Can we get whoever did the Female Remans/Talaxians to take a look at making a Female Nausicaan model for player selection pretty please. [that was a very nice neck/throat area texture blend]

2. Can we get the NPC melee weapons added as playable option specifically the Boss NPC Nausicaan Energy lance [seen after the bar fight in Undying nimbus mission] along with the normally requested Mek'leth, etc. ;)

3. Any thoughts about adding a Universal kit module to summon the various KDF pets [Targs, Saurs] to the Omega Rep or possibly as a special Featured Episode reward option.

4. Can someone switch on the lights in First City's Exchange area, pretty sure the Ferengi needs more light to count his latinum. :D

5. Thank you for taking the time to give us a glimpse of what is coming in the future. I appreciate it, and more costume options are always welcome, personally it gives me hope for the future of KDF players that they are not forgotten.

Edit... if we can keep the before version of any clothes/boots modified as an option would truly be appreciated [Footwear option Retro perhaps]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Simply put, this is awesome. And one of the best STO related news in about a year for me.

No, I don't want to sound like the kid with the mail santa, but can we have the Miral Paris hair (variations would be even more amazing) for the various Kligon or Romulan hybrid around, that are either bald, or have an hairstyle "cutting" the ridge.

Anyway, this is amazing and unexpected. It's like my birthday, months before it is. Or months after.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What about us Gorn?
    edited April 2015
    but can we have the Miral Paris hair

yes, please :)
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    primar13 wrote: »
    When you do this, Can you give Players Access to the "Dahar Master" Jacket
    This would be the perfect opportunity indeed.

Also, do these changes come along with a general pass on KDF costumes? Some of them have been glitchy for years and were reported again and again.

The male KHG shoulder fur is positioned wrong, for example. This causes lots of clipping issues in most body stances. They should be centered on the shoulderpads, like they are on the female Version.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's great that you're working on the Klingons, but if there's one thing I feel obligated to ask for, it would be more hair for our Imperial Warriors (both Male, and Female); that's one of the bigger things lacking considering how many unique styles we've seen throughout the shows.

Otherwise, this is a step in the right direction. :D
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Good news here. Good news indeed. I applaud crypticjoejing for letting us in on this. I'll support the idea every step of the way.

Curious though. Is the D’k Tahg going to be a purely aesthetic costume choice? Or will there be an equippable item to match?

Second concern. Considering the appearance revamp of what is implied to be more than just Klingons in the KDF(you mentioned Orion males), are considerations for female Nausicaan and Lethean characters being considered? I ask because even Gorn females are being considered according to CaptainGeko in this week's P1 interview of him, even if it's only a name and clothing selection change.

Also, I'm assuming muscle tons is one of the main concerns for Orion males. Will we gain access to a muscle tone slider for general use(other species/sexes) as well, ala the muscle tone slider on Champions Online?

Thanks, I look forward to my Klingons receiving some much needed beef!
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I hope we are going to get this for females.

http://media.lunch.com/d/d7/336489.jpg?2
    Bridger.png
  • rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Omg indeed. Great news for the kdf finally.
    I hope you make the Gorn as big as those running around the academy.:P
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is nice update. Some designers still have good taste and understand that you do not want to play with tron/latex figures.

But what I wish , more than 4 current hair styles for the Klingons.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Looks great to me.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • oldmansmellsoldmansmells Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Will we see more facial options also? Like the ability to have a smooth head, more ridge designs?
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This looks really great! The new boots are fantastic. They no longer look like something The Riddler would wear with black pajamas. This is going to be a welcome change for sure!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bunansa wrote: »
    robdmc wrote: »
    I'm confused. You say you are making changes for the KDF but the KDF is the Romulan faction and there are no Romulans in those pictures.
    Please, the KDF has been the ORIONS for the majority of all things, minus a lizard ambassador

MOAR HAIRSTYLES....

I mean honestly, most of the Klingons in the series have straight or wavy hair...not braids

You say it is the orion faction and I say it is the Romulan faction. Can we agree to call it the green faction? Either way there is no green in those pictures.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Need real Klingons.

Just sayin'.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Couple of questions; would it be possible to get the light head ridges (like Miral Paris') for males? I guess it's probably out of the purview of this update but will we see the sleeveless and open chest KDF uniforms worn by Klaa and Vixis?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm enjoying this! Qapla warriors!
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Bravo to the team for this! New stuff looks great. Really happy to see my beloved Klingons get some lovin'.
  • pacelli1pacelli1 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thank Kahless! I have been wanting a d'k tagh from the beginning. But even just some actual Klingon-looking hair styles would be enough for me. Seriously - THERE WAS NEVER A KLINGON SHOWN WITH DREADS in any show or film, yet we have multiple varietes of dreads to choose from. And while the NPCs (Worf, Kahless, K'mtar) all have hair that looks like what we see in the shows, that style isn't even available for players!

Long time coming. Finally!
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    That's cool!

While you are at it can you add some dog heads to the alien creator, such as pekingese type, pug type, shih-tzu type. Flat face/round head dogs would fit the normal specification for character heads.

Lol. You are amazing. I can't even call that a derail as you seem to flow right into the request as though it's totally related!

There are a lot of things desired for the Klingon faction. Dog faces had not come up. ever.

But you have me curious, is that canon? Are there humanoid dog species in Star Trek? Even if not, the funny thing is, possibly one day, we'll make something like that.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    But you have me curious, is that canon? Are there humanoid dog species in Star Trek? Even if not, the funny thing is, possibly one day, we'll make something like that.
    The Anticans.

By the way, do you have knowledge of any missing canon costume parts? TOS, TAS, etc. There's apparently a lot of untapped potential regarding KDF uniforms to hear other posters tell it.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ok.

But any chance of having options (beside doing 'Alien) for TOS Klingons?
    Lol. You are amazing. I can't even call that a derail as you seem to flow right into the request as though it's totally related!

There are a lot of things desired for the Klingon faction. Dog faces had not come up. ever.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antican
  • qordaqqordaq Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is great news and the before and after shots (of the boots) really help sell the goals here. It is good to see this happening in what ever time frame it takes to do it right.

Even the Omega boots look (a little) better than they did, which is saying something.

As a note/request, I personally would love to see the Omega Gear available as parts that are interchangeable with other uniform bits; for example I would like to be able to wear the canon styled tall boots with my HG armor, the standard type 3 gauntlet with my elite armor would be fantastic as well. or even the fur collar and Cape/Cloak with standard armor.

Regardless, thanks to those who have chosen to take this on!

maj! {Klingon for "Good"}
    Previously: QorDaq
    Operations Team, 12th Fleet