Install Arc
Options

Klingon character revamp in the works

Comments

• Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    stellarjoe wrote: »
    Will this be retroactive for existing KDF toons?

No, you'll have to delete you current character and start over.

And Qapla'. I just about feel out of my chair on this. Haven't been playing KDF long. Enjoy it far more than I do Fed or Romulan. But long enough to have that, "so this is what a red-headed step-child is", feeling instilled in me.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Awesome, but please please PLEASE let us use the Dahar Master jacket too!
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • Options
    gigaman123gigaman123 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    'ach pujbe' ghotvam'e' cryptic! tagha', Qo' legh wo' rur Hom bunch. loS... 'ej loS.
    Veteran of STO, had it for 5 years. Unfortunately, my Original account is gone.

"Make it so" - Captain Picard

Build I am working for my Federation, Klingon, and Romulans.
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    These look really awesome and its going to be really nice once its in game. However, it would be nice if you let players use the old Dahar Master jacket :)
    edited April 2015
    This is a surprise to be sure, wasn't expecting a blog or anything about this, infact, I think this does need a front page straight up blog, many people avoid forums.

Question about the hair though...some of its already ingame so why cant that um...leak now as well...

Looking at Miral Paris and wondering how much conditioner she uses. :P
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Glad to see a major costume revamp for the Klinks! Been a long time coming.

Any chance we could see some of the following added?

- Dahar Master/General Jacket: Glad to see I'm not the only person who wants this thing. We should've gotten this -ages- ago as a Lieutenant General Jacket, equal to what the Feds, and now Rommies have.

- Nausicaan Thigh Pads: Seen quite a few Nausicaan NPCs with these. Any chance we could get them added as player options too?

- Glowy Bits on Orion Male metal bits: Yet another currently NPC only option that could be added.

- Lethean Hoods: Again, another NPC only option that would make a nice thing for players to use.

Other than that, I think my biggest hope is a greatly expanded color palette.
    "[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I want to say that I approve of Klingons getting visually upgraded and am happy to hear it's coming.

However, does this also mean *more* outfit options as well? The KDF, especially the Klingon females, have always tended to get less options than the Federation, despite having almost no real uniform code.

I've always suggested that some of the non-Starfleet-specific outfits could get brought over too to help flesh out attire, especially shoe-wear. My Orion space pirate with her long coat would use those Seven of Nine tall boots. =P Or the thigh-high boots both the Feds and Romulan Republic get.

There's also things like the TOS Klingon outfit not featuring all the pieces.

And does this mean we'll get some or more of the female-specific Klingon attire many of us have been asking for since the start of the game? Everything from Mara's outfit from "Day of the Dove" to Lursa and BE'tor's outfits and then some? C-store or not, would be happy to see them.

cuatela wrote: »
    As a request... instead of changing or replacing existing assets, would it be possible to add the new versions as a secondary option wherever possible? That was done with the Defiant's variants, and I greatly appreciated having more options as opposed to having parts changed completely.

Reason being, I'm looking at some of these before/after shots, and I actually prefer the before in some cases. My characters tend to be on the smaller side, and I prefer clothing that is less bulky to match. Obviously that's not the case for everyone, but more options would give greater flexibility.

This too, I'm curious about. Some of the boots I prefer almost how they are now, the newer ones, at least, like the Bortasqu' boots. Having variations of some them instead of a straight up replacement would be preferable, especially since, again, KDF don't have that many options to begin with.

Another thing I want to add is will these changes to the body proportions affect our characters and BOffs who have their specific proportions more than a little bit? Things like arm and leg length, for instance. I notice in one of the comparison images, the Klingon's arms look stubbier and may perhaps end at the hands shorter than humanoid body shapes tend to be. I feel that's something that should be left up to people to tailor themselves if they want to be shorter than we have it now.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nuqneH Klingons!

The following is on the character art side of things but we thought it big enough news to put here in the GD thread...

CrypticJJ, I'm excited to hear about these updates and look forward to when they arrive in-game. Finally getting the long-awaited D'k Tahg and fingerless gloves, alone, are great improvements!

As others have mentioned, more hairstyle options really are a must, so I do strongly encourage that aspect of this update. Also, making the Dahar Master NPC long coats finally available to PCs would be HUGE, too.

So I wonder, how will these updates change the appearance of my characters as they exist now? I mean, will these updated looks to body shape and clothing items be applied automatically, or will we have to go to the tailor and edit our existing outfits to see the changes? If we don't want the changes, can we just not visit the tailor? (I don't know why I wouldn't want them, at least so far they all look great, I'm just curious...)

I really like the appearance of the Sword Master, Commander, and Captain. All three appear to be wearing a jacket/long coat I'm not familiar with, which I love. Of the Sword Master I like what appear to be "banners" or whatever you call the bits draped over the shoulders/down the front of the chest... Specifically the color. Those are black/grey and we can't get those shades now. In fact, those example NPC Klingons seem to be using a new pallet that I'd love to have access to.

Anyway, THANK YOU for these updates (whenever they get here). Can't wait!

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Visual updates are important. If Cryptic are passionate enough to take a critical eye at the game's assets when resources are available to do so, then I give them full credit where it is due. It isn't just about assets, it is about the Star Trek IP afterall, and as funny as it sounds, bulkier Klingons and less goofy bracers helps.
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I hope they are actually working on it. Part of the hate between the empire and the ones who develop the game is the years of saying oh yeah we are working on it but never any results of said work.

The dagger though is a tease its like neck and neck with the mek'leth for weapons that empire players would die for. I am an avid KDF player for many years on this 2nd generation forum account lol tho so don't let this hologram fool you. Now I do want those badly on my KDF characters I just hope there is something being done as well on the scope of the game itself that some of us find issues with heh. Just too frustrating when your costumes keep breaking and then more and more grind but less working content and more and more breaking.

Anyways hopefully this news is true and would be welcomed because it couldn't get any worse in theory.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nynik wrote: »
    Visual updates are important. If Cryptic are passionate enough to take a critical eye at the game's assets when resources are available to do so, then I give them full credit where it is due. It isn't just about assets, it is about the Star Trek IP afterall, and as funny as it sounds, bulkier Klingons and less goofy bracers helps.

Indeed indeed. You can even simplify it. Its not just about keeping true to the IP, its about the art behind the game. There's a story, a universe, and the game's assets are an integral part of the presentation. Content (ie. gameplay) is important in maintaining the function of the game but there has to be something else besides the pure mechanical components drawing us in and motivating us. This sort of update enhances the human side (ie. the thing we should care most about.)

But as to the specific focus of this update, I have just one thing to say.

:DFIN-****ing-ALLY :D
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You know what would really go well with these costume updates? An actual fix to bugged kdf uniform slots that never actually got fixed when it was announced they were fixed over a year ago!
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Next, and possibly most exciting to many players, will be to include a sheathed D’k Tahg (Klingon Dagger), fingerless gloves, and a starting rank 0 sash (leather strap) as optional starting gear for Klingon faction.

Um... Quick question: Is that d'k tahg an ITEM, or just an art asset? Want either way, but one I want MOAR.
  • Options
    lordtrekkielordtrekkie Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Very much yes.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Very nice. Any chance of getting a more extensive 2410 uniform guide like the Federation got?

Also interested in seeing what is in store for the Gorn. They, like the Orions, are certainly one of the bigger draws of the faction. (At the very least, it might be interesting if there are some more reptilian facial attachments.. like crest fins and such.)
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hope ya'll were listening to Priority One's newest...

http://priorityonepodcast.com/po219/

Some tentitivly pleasing news and views for KDF players.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    sychosis99sychosis99 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    These look wonderful so far! Only thing I'll add is; PLEASE don't tease us with a costume D’k Tahg, then not have a weapon version we can wield as well! I know this is just covering costume enhancements in this update, but please let this mean we'll finally be getting our Mek'leth's and D’k Tahg's as usable weapons as well!
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh, yeah, sheathed D'k'tagh looks great - between it and the Enterprise Mirror belt for Feds, everyone but the Romulans will be carrying a knife soon. I like it. I just hope that part of what we get is more hair options, currently we've got 'bald' and various forms of long hair - I want to see some good old fashioned, TOS-style short hair options to go with the TOS uniform and D7/K'tinga/Koro'tinga/Kamarag (and the K'Tanco, too, considering it has that era's look somewhat)...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm confused. You say you are making changes for the KDF but the KDF is the Romulan faction and there are no Romulans in those pictures.
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This looks great.

Those subtle changes make a massive difference. Thank you for the work you're doing on this revamp, it looks more polished and professional.
  • Options
    narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As a player that has favoured the KDF since launch, even with the various issues it had then, this is very welcome news.

At least the Art department seems to understand some of the KDF's desires.

...Now if systems could get on the same page (well Gecko at least) the criticism (both constructive and not) might lighten up some.
  • Options
    jimjudy3jimjudy3 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And while you're at it, can you get someone to fix the costume options for my Fleet Scourge Destroyer Retrofit, which have apparently been bugged since Season 6? Thanks.
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh another thing, could the colour palettes for all items match please, it's rather hard and frustrating when they don't. In fact I would suggest having one palette for all factions for all items. This way people have more variety and choices to choose from as well.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That is great
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    robdmc wrote: »
    I'm confused. You say you are making changes for the KDF but the KDF is the Romulan faction and there are no Romulans in those pictures.

Please, the KDF has been the ORIONS for the majority of all things, minus a lizard ambassador

MOAR HAIRSTYLES....

I mean honestly, most of the Klingons in the series have straight or wavy hair...not braids
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    stf65 wrote: »
    yeah, all your posts about 10 year old polls is what swayed the devs.

Well it's either that or Daniel Stahl is back in town ... . :P

... so, is he ... ?
  • Options
    arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    xablis wrote: »
    You know what would really go well with these costume updates? An actual fix to bugged kdf uniform slots that never actually got fixed when it was announced they were fixed over a year ago!
    it's not just kdf side, it can happen to feds and roms too.

all you have to do is claim a boff in space, edit him/her while still in space, switch to player editor (you'll see you have x more uniform slots, equal to your total), and either create a new one or edit an existing one.

it'll create a phantom slot that can't be edited unless you're in space and claim another boff, can't be worn (corresponding right slot will be selected), and will sometimes appear on its own during cutscenes.

it'll even appear on the gateway, so player will finally look right rather than the shadowy character.

those extra broken slots should be barred from accessing, and the existing ones deleted in my opinion.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.