test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon character revamp in the works

crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
nuqneH Klingons!

The following is on the character art side of things but we thought it big enough news to put here in the GD thread...

We're excited to say there is a gradual but fairly good sized revamp in the works to the Klingon faction (both for players and NPC’s) to make them look tougher, more realistic, and cooler…trying to capture more the essence of the shows.

In fact, due to a recent check-in bug, some of these changes are going in even sooner than we intended! (mainly updates to male boots)

Anyway, as you’ve probably noticed, many of our older Klingon armor pieces are a bit cartoonish and/or oddly shaped, gravity-defying, and often over-sized. This was an attempt to make the Klingons look bulkier as they do in the shows. The problem is the underlying body in STO is/was usually still skinny to average in size. So the end result often looks like a skinny kid wearing oversized foam costume armor and an old man mask :P

Rest assured, we have no intention of limiting the body scaling - so you can make just as wide a range of body types as you can now. But we want to make the default, starting Klingon body type bulkier, stronger and more natural and proportionate. Additionally, we plan on a similar treatment with other species/genders as appropriate, like Orion males.

Then, with a better base body, adjustments will be made to the armor components to give a better fit.

Next, and possibly most exciting to many players, will be to include a sheathed D’k Tahg (Klingon Dagger), fingerless gloves, and a starting rank 0 sash (leather strap) as optional starting gear for Klingon faction.

Visuals to help illustrate:
http://imgur.com/bpgiA71

As I said, the updates will eventually affect the NPC’s and enemy groups as well. A rough mock-up of the general direction (note: this isn’t the final pass, the armor is not refitted and/or necessarily the final combination, and the group will have more color variance):

http://imgur.com/2EeUnQ2

And yes, female KDF will get a pass too.

Sooo....while we don't intend to do before/after shots for each and every asset, the boots already show subtle but marked improvement. For the most part the feet are a more unified and proportionate size to the rest of the body. Many of the boots are generally taller, usually over the knee, which is more directly influenced from the actual costumes on the series. And many boots got a shape massage and an extra embellishment here and there. Before and after here:

http://imgur.com/lQXxy0I

Finally, long term goals will be to possibly add and/or unlock more hairstyles.

Final, final note…this is a big undertaking that is getting addressed little by little between many of our other tasks. There isn’t a set date for it to go out, and it won’t happen soon, but there’s also a chance little bits will trickle in (or in big chunks as has happened w/ male boots :P). We’re posting here to share our plans and receive feedback early.

Thanks and hope you’re as excited about this as we are!
Post edited by crypticjoejing on

Comments

• rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OMG OMG OMG!!! YAY!

This is awesome!!!
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    When you do this, Can you give Players Access to the "Dahar Master" Jacket

I'm talking the Red Jacket worn by most Dahar Master Enemy Mobs.

I really liked that jacket and hoped I would unlock it when I hit Level 60 along with the Sash
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Of all the things the KDF actually needed doing :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least it is something for the KDF I suppose.
    Will we all get costume tokens when these changes go live?
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Very nice... but Cookie Cupcakes won't be happy... no gender fix for the Gorn! :P
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Looks good!

Definitely need more hair styles for Klingon characters, both male and female alike..

Plus, the colour palette would be good if it had more options like the Feds do!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Holy TRIBBLE! This is literally the last thing I expected to see today. :)

That concept art looks amazing. I can't wait to see the final product! :cool:
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Aw yiss. Gimme some of that artwork lovin'!
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Looks good. Can't wait to see the real thing.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Definitelly liking this - while I only play KDF on the side, I always felt that KDF players deserved more attention, given their options in terms of customizations are very limited - and to be honest, it's one of reasons I've not even made a KDF char earlier - as for a RPG/RP, limited customization is simply a bummer.

And definitely, should add more hairstyles - I'd love to see the shaved hairstyles for both genders for our Klingon/Liberated Borg Klingon for example - as really.. dreads & long hair are not my thing, and my poor Klingon goes bald as it is now...and I kinda want to go half-Klingon look anyways :P
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• soriedemsoriedem Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    crypticjoejing,

I can't tell you how happy this made me. I can't stop grinning.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    primar13 wrote: »
    When you do this, Can you give Players Access to the "Dahar Master" Jacket

I'm talking the Red Jacket worn by most Dahar Master Enemy Mobs.

I really liked that jacket and hoped I would unlock it when I hit Level 60 along with the Sash

Agreed.

But otherwise.... (Excited girly shriek)..:o
    I didn't do it.
  • karmogkarmog Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Let this be a lesson to everyone who told me to "just give up". :cool:
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is very nice, if I might make a suggestion however, you might want to consider thinning the material for boots that do reach around the knee, add/maintain some padding around the shin just to make them look more flexible. Afterall, it's one thing to protect oneself from injury, it's quite another to limit one's movement and there-in chance to evade harm in the interests of that goal.

That said however, I look forward to these changes going live... Would it be possible for you to look into feet/ankle size overall? They've always seemed a little on the small side, but that might just be me.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Another slap in the face for pvp!

Good job, man. But I wouldn't mind a fat klingon. I mean, there are lots of them in the movies/shows.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Alright! FInally get a strappable D'k Tahg!
    m12Pkoj.png
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    karmog wrote: »
    Let this be a lesson to everyone who told me to "just give up". :cool:
    yeah, all your posts about 10 year old polls is what swayed the devs.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Looks very nice!
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is awesome! More customization options are always great to see, especially when it is sorely needed, like in the case of the Klingons.

That being said...might we see more facial options for our Klingons at some point?

And while I'm glad to see the clothing options being made to fit better, some of the clothing doesn't really match the examples from the shows that they're meant to emulate. For example, the TOS version is horribly inaccurate (not to mention there's no female version). The TNG version (the one in the screenshots you provided) also has it's flaws.

I know I and many many others would pay good Zen if some of these options were added to the game.

BUT...again, it's great to see some improvements...ANY improvements. So thank you so much for that!
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    this is great news!
    i hope you take the opportunity to address the various pallette bugs in our uniforms.
  • cuatelacuatela Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In fact, due to a recent check-in bug, some of these changes are going in even sooner than we intended! (mainly updates to male boots)

But we want to make the default, starting Klingon body type bulkier, stronger and more natural and proportionate. Additionally, we plan on a similar treatment with other species/genders as appropriate, like Orion males.

Then, with a better base body, adjustments will be made to the armor components to give a better fit.

Sooo....while we don't intend to do before/after shots for each and every asset, the boots already show subtle but marked improvement. For the most part the feet are a more unified and proportionate size to the rest of the body. Many of the boots are generally taller, usually over the knee, which is more directly influenced from the actual costumes on the series. And many boots got a shape massage and an extra embellishment here and there. Before and after here:

http://imgur.com/lQXxy0I

As a request... instead of changing or replacing existing assets, would it be possible to add the new versions as a secondary option wherever possible? That was done with the Defiant's variants, and I greatly appreciated having more options as opposed to having parts changed completely.

Reason being, I'm looking at some of these before/after shots, and I actually prefer the before in some cases. My characters tend to be on the smaller side, and I prefer clothing that is less bulky to match. Obviously that's not the case for everyone, but more options would give greater flexibility.

• drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ok.

But any chance of having options (beside doing 'Alien) for TOS Klingons?
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What is the grind cost for this stuff going to be
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    What is the grind cost for this stuff going to be
    As a special offer, you and you only will have to pay 100000 zen to unlock all costume pieces.
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am glad to see Cryptic is going to spend some type of time on the KDF. I don't mean to sound like a doubter or to be a downer here... however. Are we really excited because they opened the existing models and inflated some legs ?

Fixing the KDF has nothing at all to do with the aesthetics.

Welcome improvements no doubt... however inflating some legs and adding more or less spikes isn't ground breaking jump for joy level for me.

If there is more planned we would like to hear what it is that is planned, that will in fact effect game play for the better... and not just make existing things look a tad bit better.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is outstanding. Been waiting for some KDF attention and development for such a long time. May I ask will you be making NPC hairstyles (Worf's, Alexander's, Miral's etc?) and clothing available for players too? We really need more costume options and variety.

Thank you so much for this, now I have something to be excited about in game. I haven't had that since the new KDF missions came in with LOR. :D
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    *looks at giant "taco is #1" foam finger*

*looks at updates to kdf costumes*

*makes "Joe iz also #1" giant foam finger for other hand*

*smiles contentedly*

*realizes he no longer has any free hands to play with and starts trying to learn to control a mouse with his feet*
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ok.

But any chance of having options (beside doing 'Alien) for TOS Klingons?

And the inverse, can the (both male and female) bodies get the same treatment so they can match themklingons on the crew?

But please please please let my Klingon appear as a tos Klingon without having to be an alien!
  • stellarjoestellarjoe Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Will this be retroactive for existing KDF toons?
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Also any chance of a re-species change token or something so I can change my Alien into a full blooded Klingon or Ferasan?

Plus any change of removing the different categories in the tailor and have them all mixed in together so there aren't restrictions on what parts I want to use together, an example being using honor guard or Omega parts with formal gear.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!