aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No STF's ???

... color me a sad panda ...
  • Options
    alzitaalzita Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The target line should be:
    "Location of the game file here" -patchserver patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com

So for me that is:
    "D:\Games\Star Trek Online\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe" -patchserver patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com

For others something along the lines of:
    "C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe" -patchserver patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com

And it should be formatted in this fashion
    In-game: @gkar_falcon

Game on! See you online

Falc
  • Options
    klingontacoklingontaco Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gatsie7 wrote: »
    Can someone type out exactly how the line should read for the work around. I can not seem to get it to work

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe" -patchserver patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com

It will change for each computer but it will most likely be like that. Just create a shortcut then properties after the " hit space then put in -patchserver patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com

If you do it right after with no space between the " and the command it won't work.
  • Options
    lincovichyylincovichyy Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And what we spend we were deceived?:confused:
    Wait, is April 1 this setback sto Rebirth?:D
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited April 2015
    I think in got the patcher to work... Downloading 10GBs....

So anyone got some screenies yet???
  • Options
    klingontacoklingontaco Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They need to make this permanent just fix bugs and keep it stable no new content or anything. If they do that then i will consider getting subscription. Right now sto PvP is a joke. Holodeck could be for pvers and redshirt for pvpers. pvers would be happy because the devs wouldn't have to balance Holodeck for pvp. PvPers would be happy because we wouldn't have annoying pve gear messing with PvP balance.
  • Options
    caasicamcaasicam Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ...And now we wait for the agonizingly slow 100 kb/s download. Hopefully just because everyone's patching at once...
  • Options
    maracroftmaracroft Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Actually, there are quite a few things from the early days I wish they would bring back. Too many to list here but sometimes 'simpler' + 'cleaner' = 'better experience.'
  • Options
    gatsie7gatsie7 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Got it thanks, I hope they have atleast the original stf's in there !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    spockout1 wrote: »
    Well, I patched 3.2GB, then got the file can't be found error.

Now patching another 3.2GB (or maybe the same 3.2GB).

That 3.2GB is the "wrong" patch. You want to do what has been said with the copy the short cut and add the -patchserver patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com thing. (others in this thread have explained that far better than I could). Then you'll get the big patch.
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That 3.2GB is the "wrong" patch. You want to do what has been said with the copy the short cut and add the -patchserver patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com thing. (others in this thread have explained that far better than I could). Then you'll get the big patch.

That's a problem I'm running into. My Property tabs for my shortcut I have doesn't have a target field. There not an option I could find yet.
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Got it to start downloading the 10GB but I will have to sleep now and do it in the morning (my timezone) Hopefully it stays around as I would love to experience STO as it was at launch. I didn't have STO back in 2010 but remember the launch and all the pictures graphics e.t.c
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    alzitaalzita Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dragnridr wrote: »
    That's a problem I'm running into. My Property tabs for my shortcut I have doesn't have a target field. There not an option I could find yet.

Try copying a new shortcut to the desktop and going into the shortcut properties again
    In-game: @gkar_falcon

Game on! See you online

Falc
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    alzita wrote: »
    Try copying a new shortcut to the desktop and going into the shortcut properties again

After trying 5 different ones, I finally got one that gets me the target I could change. Felt like it took me forever.

Now, onto youtube while it downloads and patches.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    I'd forgotten about so many little QoL improvements over the years. Silly things like not having a stamina bar decreasing when running outside of combat. Not having your weapon drawn every time you beam in somewhere. Being able to hide the hideous 'astrometrics' in sector space. It's these little things you tend to forget. Still though, for the sake of Nostalgia, I'm loving being on the old version. :D
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    kadamskadams Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My issue seems to be that it's not copying the exe file along with the rest of the game. How would I go about fixing *that* issue?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    For those playing the older version, remember all the nerf nukes that had happened and all the grind that gets added......How much does it make you wished that they keep this version w/o the grind and nerfs?
  • Options
    grimlock39grimlock39 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ah, the Good Old Days when you had to grind like a Stone cutter to make level 50.
    Maybe NOW, newer players can working hard for their rank instead of having it so easily handed to them.
    I actually liked having to run the PVEs before the put them into queues, (the PVE Queues), Ruined them game even more than the constant HUD changes did.
  • Options
    kyyyonkyyyon Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hebda wrote: »
    Nope, it's a perfectly clean launch day STO. Even the Pre-Order items are missing from the game. There isn't even a chat server, so no chatting. Emotes don't work either.

it was a joke for those who remembered the login merging.i know that it would be a clean slate.
  • Options
    morden613morden613 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kadams wrote: »
    My issue seems to be that it's not copying the exe file along with the rest of the game. How would I go about fixing *that* issue?

That seems to be my problem too.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    morden613 wrote: »
    That seems to be my problem too.

If it's any help, I'm running the Steam version rather than the old pre-Arc installer.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited April 2015
    I see a lot of people running into the same struggle as I did... I will attempt to do a step-by-step list on how I manage my end to work... (hopefully this will work for you)

The Following method was used on Windows 7 64bit OS, and with a worked around Game Launcher... It might be different for Windows 8.1 and Windows Preview (10) Users. This will be somewhat... different for "Steam and Arc" users, but mostly the same steps will apply...

Step 1: Open your game files.

For me this was E:\Perfect World Entertaiment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online
    under there you will find 3 folders;
    • Beta
    • Holodeck
    • Playtest

Step 2: (Just in case) Copy the entire folder "Beta" to a safe location for faster restoration once "rebirth" has become old (warped away)

Step 3: you should now have 2 folders;
    • Holodeck
    • Playtest

Step 4: locate your Star Trek Online.exe file
    Fore me it was: (E:\Perfect World Entertaiment\Star Trek Online_en)

Step 5: Right click on the .exe file and select: "Send to > Desktop (Create Shortcut)
    Step 6: Close everything...
    Step 7: Locate the newly created shortcut
    Step 8: Right click and select "Properties"
    Step 9: It should be under the default tab of "Shortcut" if not, select shortcut. There you will find several options, but the one you are looking for is titled;

(target: [___________________________]) under this box you will find the target location, again for me it was;
    ("E:\Perfect World Entertaiment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online.exe")

Step 10: add the following command to that target line, if done correctly it should be;

("E:\Perfect World Entertaiment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online.exe" -patchserver patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com)

Note: Remember to leave a space after .exe" and the command line like above: (Online.exe" -patchserver) or you will keep getting an error message...

Step 11: Hit "Apply" and then "ok" to confirm the changes...
    Step 12: If anything is still open...close it and open the Game... FROM THE NEWLY MODIFIED SHORTCUT as if you have your name shortcut it will not be linked to the new one...

Step 13: Log in and select "Redshirt" as your server

Note: if this option is not available it is possible your account has not been signed up for beta testing, do so here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/sign/in?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arcgames.com%2Fen%2Fmy%2Fcharacter%2Fcopy%2Fsto

Step 14: If all steps where done correctly, you should now be able to patch a full server client of 10GBs...

Im sorry but if you got a 3.2gb update, then you did something wrong or it plainly.... didn't work for you...

Remember this is an old version of STO and the infrastructure has changed over the course of 5+ years... As per Zero, this is an old build and it may not be stable, there is yet no set time when this "Rebirth" expansion will be warped away, most likely tomorrow...

so if want to try it... it is totally up to you...

Don't forget about your ISP limits/bandwidth as this is a 10GB download...

Cheers,

Comrademoco

Talk to support for further assistance as I am not a PWE/Cryptic Employee... just trying to help
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'd almost forgotten about the mandatory patrol missions, or the fact you had to run at least three 'expanse' wrapper missions between each level to progress to the next story mission etc. Delta Rising just brought back what we'd fought so long to get rid of. I wouldn't want to go back to the game as it is on Redshirt right now. Sure, it's fun for nostalgic reasons, but it does suck gameplay wise. Ground combat is TRIBBLE, side weapons have the same fire rate as rifles, aim and crouch are the same thing, I've got the stamina of... well... me. Space combat is the exact same really save for the nerfs to some abilities, but the skill tree is awful and forces you very early into one ship class, one energy weapon type etc.

I may play another mission or two, just because it's nice seeing the game as it was when it got me hooked, but I still prefer all my shiny stuff on Holodeck. :)

Thanks for this little walk down memory lane though, Devs!
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'd almost forgotten about the mandatory patrol missions, or the fact you had to run at least three 'expanse' wrapper missions between each level to progress to the next story mission etc. Delta Rising just brought back what we'd fought so long to get rid of. I wouldn't want to go back to the game as it is on Redshirt right now. Sure, it's fun for nostalgic reasons, but it does suck gameplay wise. Ground combat is TRIBBLE, side weapons have the same fire rate as rifles, aim and crouch are the same thing, I've got the stamina of... well... me. Space combat is the exact same really save for the nerfs to some abilities, but the skill tree is awful and forces you very early into one ship class, one energy weapon type etc.

I may play another mission or two, just because it's nice seeing the game as it was when it got me hooked, but I still prefer all my shiny stuff on Holodeck. :)

Thanks for this little walk down memory lane though, Devs!

yeah, the old days, are not always the "good" old days :) but now i can show people what it was really like! i hope they leave this up for a week or so, maybe leave it up til season 10
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• Options
    rawrmontsterrawrmontster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Please leave this up for a while! I would love to be able to explore it for a bit.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Please leave this up for a while! I would love to be able to explore it for a bit.

Got some new guy to actually join the forums and post!

See? Almost as effective at recruiting as the Delta Recruitment event has been so far!
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, basically it isn't copying over the gameclient.exe, nor the .dll files. hence the "can't find files" error. Trying to use the new gameclient.exe and .dll files, predictably, isn't working. Would someone with a working install of the classic sto be kind enough to post those files?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would love to see the original state of this game when it launched.

That being said, I think it's an April fools joke.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    S5 was the last season before the massive power creep started with cheese universal consoles in lockboxes and fleet ultra rare gear, but even then, it was fine.

DR and the feeling of no progression and power creep to the max was what really killed things. Before that, things were bearable.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    I would love to see the original state of this game when it launched.

That being said, I think it's an April fools joke.

It's a joke that Holodeck is being shut down. It's not a joke that this is on Redshirt right now. :)
This discussion has been closed.